Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• No excuses now Rusty. You have a top 6 squad to work with until the end of January.
  • Poyet must have something lined up
  • Chris Martin. Derby to Fulham. Permanent.

Thought it was a loan. Strange one.
  • Definitely take Poyet back on a free, he was poor in his second spell with us on loan but in a poor team with no proper manager. Under RS we could see the old Diego, and having seen a lot of him in that season he was fucking mustard.

Would that be the no proper manger who got the best form of his career out of him when he was only 19?
  • CAFCsayer said:

I haven't got a clue who should play at centre-back... Having Tex, Bauer, Pearce, Konsa, Diarra would be good in the Championship, pretty staggering in this league!

How about a 3-5-2 where we can play Tex, Pearce and Bauer.
    Then wouldn't be able to play Holmes and Lookman unless Lookman starts up top. Could be good though
  • masicat said:

cafc4life said:

I honestly think Lookman will not be with us come midnight tonight and if you think he will then you obviously haven't been paying attention to whats been happening at our shambles of a football club the last 2 years.

Oops......
    Oh just cos he hasn't left this time round makes everything okay does it? Behave . People on here never fail to amuse me. One signing when we was looking at potentially 2/3 is made up for the fact we kept hold of one of our better players? No .
  • I'd take Poyet back in a heartbeat. Should be able to run a game in this league. Was poor last season but can't forget how good he was first time round.
  • Poyet in
    Johnson out

No source, I just want this to happen. The 13/14 poyet can't have been fluke he was mustard, needs to get his head down and play somewhere, for free it's worth a punt.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    cafc4life said:

masicat said:

cafc4life said:

I honestly think Lookman will not be with us come midnight tonight and if you think he will then you obviously haven't been paying attention to whats been happening at our shambles of a football club the last 2 years.

Oops......
    Oh just cos he hasn't left this time round makes everything okay does it? Behave . People on here never fail to amuse me. One signing when we was looking at potentially 2/3 is made up for the fact we kept hold of one of our better players? No .
    Well, if your glass was half full you could see it as lookman is like a new signing once fit enough to play a full 90mins and he should rip this league to bits

• CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

I haven't got a clue who should play at centre-back... Having Tex, Bauer, Pearce, Konsa, Diarra would be good in the Championship, pretty staggering in this league!

How about a 3-5-2 where we can play Tex, Pearce and Bauer.
    Then wouldn't be able to play Holmes and Lookman unless Lookman starts up top. Could be good though
    My thinking is giving Holmes and Lookman wide/free roles behind Mcgennis/Novak.

The problems are:
    1) It would almost certainly mean dropping Fox and I can't imagine Chicksen is 90 minutes fit, especially at wingback
    2) We just sold our best/only natural wingback in THD
    3) Solly has the energy for wingback but isn't quite good enough going forward
    4) It doesn't not solve out problem of creativity in the middle of the park and how to get the ball from back to front.
  • masicat said:

cafc4life said:

Oops......
    Few portions of humble pie being served up across SE London and North-West Kent tonight methinks

• edited August 2016
    GK - Rudd, Phillips
    RB - Solly, Foley, Konsa
    LB - Fox, Chicksen, Lennon
    CB - Tex, Bauer, Pearce, Lennon, Johnson, Konsa
    CM - Foley, Crofts, Jacko, Ulvestad, Diarra, Kashi, Ba
    Wingers - Holmes, Lookman, Botaka, Jacko, Foley
    Str - Lookman, Ajose, Magennis, Novak

That gives 24 players plus Hanlon, Aherne-Grant, Umerah, Kennedy, Charles-Cook, Muldoon.

Defence looks strong, still weak in midfield given injuries to Diarra and Kashi and whereabouts of Ba.

Would have liked to have got rid of Tex and Ba, bringing in at least 1 more midfielder, maybe 2. Can't believe we didn't sign 1 more midfielder, even on loan until January to cover Diarra and Kashi, and could re-assess in Jan.

Absolutely no doubt we are going to rely on 15/16 players. If the midfield can stay injury free, we should finish top 6 minimum, couple of injuries and we are going to be in trouble.
  • Just turned over to Sky for no particular reason. Jeez, that yellow skirt is not flattering...
  • I'm surprised none of our young strikers have gone out on loan.

Hanlon, Aherne-Grant and Umerah will struggle to get much first team game time
  • Still don't honk Diarra is a CB, he is a midfielder who can, but will not need to with the current team, fill in there.

Assuming he gets back to full fitness he is a shoe in for a defensive midfielder role with Foley in particular who is only contracted until January I think, leaving.

Konsa did what I thought was a great job at right back against Bolton until I saw the replay of their goal where he may not of been the only person at fault but was out of position.

But with Bauer and Teixara available at centre back with Lenkon in reserve, there aren't going to be many starts for Konsa there if we are going to mostly stick with the same side until injury or loss of form.

The new loaner Frank, would surely start if fit too add some legs into midfield.

Jackson can play alongside him, or Crofts, but I think the width in midfield may have to be Lookman or Holmes.

Both look better in a central role behind the strikers.

We could really use a handy winger if one comes up in a free.

That said if Ademola can get more game time on the left, Holmes as a replacement for gudmonsson on the right Diarra and Frank mostly through the middle, it may not be ideal but with a back four of Solly, Teixara, Bauer and Fox (Dillon and Rudd making it 5) with Magennis, Ajose, Hanlan, Novak changed around depending on firm, fitness and opposition strength, that's a squad that would cause most league 1 opposition to be very worried.

I've omitted Chicksen as well I realise. Probably could mat come up with paltry pun.

Agree. Think you can add Muldoon, maybe Charles-Cook, to that list too.
  • Sponsored links:

• That transfer window was much better than I expected.

Still a long way off what was required but not fearing relegation at least...
  • edited August 2016

Still don't honk Diarra is a CB, he is a midfielder who can, but will not need to with the current team, fill in there.

Assuming he gets back to full fitness he is a shoe in for a defensive midfielder role with Foley in particular who is only contracted until January I think, leaving.

Konsa did what I thought was a great job at right back against Bolton until I saw the replay of their goal where he may not of been the only person at fault but was out of position.

But with Bauer and Teixara available at centre back with Lenkon in reserve, there aren't going to be many starts for Konsa there if we are going to mostly stick with the same side until injury or loss of form.

The new loaner Frank, would surely start if fit too add some legs into midfield.

Jackson can play alongside him, or Crofts, but I think the width in midfield may have to be Lookman or Holmes.

Both look better in a central role behind the strikers.

We could really use a handy winger if one comes up in a free.

That said if Ademola can get more game time on the left, Holmes as a replacement for gudmonsson on the right Diarra and Frank mostly through the middle, it may not be ideal but with a back four of Solly, Teixara, Bauer and Fox (Dillon and Rudd making it 5) with Magennis, Ajose, Hanlan, Novak changed around depending on firm, fitness and opposition strength, that's a squad that would cause most league 1 opposition to be very worried.

I've omitted Chicksen as well I realise. Probably could mat come up with paltry pun.

Don't forget Botaka as another winger. He may not have impressed on first impressions, but presumably has something about him. Foley can also cover RB if we get more bodies available in midfield

KAG definitely needed a loan, though given how his loans last year went I wonder if he had any suitors.

Hanlan is very much our fourth choice center forward at the moment, and has apparently looked decent coming off the bench. It wasn't that long ago that Umerah was rated above him and was scoring goals for fun at U21 level. I think having them both around training with the first team and competing to be the second forward on the bench (when Lookman is starting) isn't necessarily bad thing. Perhaps in an ideal world we'd have the depth to loan them out but sometimes those young, hungry players can come in and have a big impact if used correctly.
  • A huge relief to keep Ademola Lookman, especially in the teeth of offers from Palace and the odious Pardew. Given the standard of League 1 football and everything we've had to endure over the last couple of years, we desperately a player who can get people off their seats.

Good also to hear that, according to Richard Cawley, we knocked back three bids from Sheffield Wednesday for Morgan Fox (unlike the Brummies, Wednesday's Thai owners actually have some money).

Duchatelet knows there will be further opportunities to sell but some credit is due to him for not capitulating to such offers. Yes, we are short in central midfield (and over-stocked in central defence) but at least the outcome of this window gives Slade a chance to get us into a challenging position by the next one opens in January. If he can do that, Duchatelet may even be inclined to give it a go.

Overall, things could, as always, be better but they could certainly be a hell of a lot worse.
  • Now that's over, what's Jim White gonna do with his life for the next few months?
  • Think we've had a pretty decent transfer window to be fair.

We moan about a lack of creativity but we've kept hold of Lookman and added Ulvestad. It could so easily have been Holmes the only creative option.

So with Lookman, Holmes and Ulvestad for creativity how do we think this compares to the rest of the league? I can't see many more sides having much more midfield creativity in depth? And even if so do they compare to the quality of Lookman and Holmes certainly?

For me the midfield isn't perfect but it's a lot better than it could have been and should well be a top six midfield once Kashi and Diarra are back.
  • Not read much on ulvestad yet other than he runs a lot. He's not a great goalscorer judging by the stats I read but maybe he is either be rearive himself or poses the defence more issue which when allied to the rest of what's going on means homes and Lookman can't be double marked.
  • Just turned over to Sky for no particular reason. Jeez, that yellow skirt is not flattering...

Jim White fancied switching up from his usual yellow tie did he?