Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Wouldn't be impressed with either if they were in the starting 11. Would be decent as squad players.

Have you seen them both play?. What do you know about them?.
    Yes Gobern played for the Huddersfield team back in league 1 when we were promoted as champions. I'd compare him to Jordan Cousins but not as good. Seen Aaron Martin play for Southampton and Palace and would agree with what Mowbray said about him in the SLP article.

• 'Top six budget' but we're still trying to sign players on a free that no other club wants. British manager but same old story.

What about all the Free Transfers from this season though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#Transfers
  • edited June 2016
    Powell signed players like Morrison and Stephens. This lot sign players like Roger Johnson. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Don't recognise either player to be honest... Aaron Martin doesn't sound bad though, has a lot of experience, sounds like a combined Morrison / Taylor sort of signing based on the sort of clubs he's played for

Who would possibly be stupid enough to sell a player like Morrison?

Ahhh, I know.....
  • seth plum said:

Agent to player:

'Don't worry son I'll get you a good gig. If that fails I have Katrien Miere's phone number '.

Sadly! That may be true
  • Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

Don't recognise either player to be honest... Aaron Martin doesn't sound bad though, has a lot of experience, sounds like a combined Morrison / Taylor sort of signing based on the sort of clubs he's played for

Ahhh, I know.....
    When a player 4th choice and asks to go out on loan to get game time who would be stupid enough not to let him go
    But then to let him go an a free to a rival is mental.
  • 'Top six budget' but we're still trying to sign players on a free that no other club wants. British manager but same old story.

What about all the Free Transfers from this season though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#Transfers
    Bloody hell FA, please don't put facts in the way of them all having a good moan mate!

Free transfer means they're all shit - yeh, course it does!
  • Don't recognise either player to be honest... Aaron Martin doesn't sound bad though, has a lot of experience, sounds like a combined Morrison / Taylor sort of signing based on the sort of clubs he's played for

it's actually Alvin Martin. Only 57.
  • Oscar Gobern we need to sign....purely for this tackle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCakWmE8YLI
  • Gobern was released by Queens Park Rangers!!
  • Heard we are set to sign Martijn Wit van Mann from the network.

Nothing wrong with that, tackles like that come from the 70s when men were real men and had...........long hair and perms.
  • edited June 2016
    Valley11 said:

It's encouraging to be linked with the likes of Moncur, Novak, Hutchinson and O'Hara. British players rather than Belgian part timers.
    Less encouraging to be linked with Martin and Gobern. Released by Coventry and Huddersfield.
    Hope KM doesn't try to do this 'buying British' thing on the mega cheap.

I don't think that anyone is that bothered about this whole British thing anyway! I think Miere has misinterpreted the fans, and thinks (cynically) we can be appeased by picking up a few British free transfers.

No, Katie. It's not necessarily British we're after...it's quality. If they happen to be both, great...but I'm not going to cry if they're foreign and class. No one was complaining about Buyens, and Kashi (if he stays) is one of the best on our books.

I just don't want this to turn in to something along the lines of "Well...we did what you wanted and got a British manager and British Signings...it's still not worked so we'll just go out and get another Anil Koc and you can all shut up whilst I continue the masterplan. We tried it your way and it didn't work. We know best, so nyanyanyanyanyanyaaaaa."

I loathe this regime.
  • Valley11 said:

It's encouraging to be linked with the likes of Moncur, Novak, Hutchinson and O'Hara. British players rather than Belgian part timers.
    Less encouraging to be linked with Martin and Gobern. Released by Coventry and Huddersfield.
    Hope KM doesn't try to do this 'buying British' thing on the mega cheap.

I don't think that anyone is that bothered about this whole British thing anyway! I think Miere has misinterpreted the fans, and thinks (cynically) we can be appeased by picking up a few British free transfers.

No, Katie. It's not necessarily British we're after...it's quality. If they happen to be both, great...but I'm not going to cry if they're foreign and class. No one was complaining about Buyens, and Kashi (if he stays) is one of the best on our books.

I just don't want this to turn in to something along the lines of "Well...we did what you wanted and got a British manager and British Signings...it's still not worked so we'll just go out and get another Anil Koc and you can all shut up whilst I continue the masterplan. We tried it your way and it didn't work. We know best, so nyanyanyanyanyanyaaaaa."

I loathe this regime.
    Perhaps this could be our new chant:

Support the team, loathe the regime.
  • I'm not sure people are grasping the concept that "budget" equates to the whole package as in Signing on, Wages, agents fees as well a transfer fee. So if we sign free transfers then it still comes out the budget. I'm no expert but at this level I'd imagine transfer fees would total less than 20% of transfers which float around.
  • Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

Don't recognise either player to be honest... Aaron Martin doesn't sound bad though, has a lot of experience, sounds like a combined Morrison / Taylor sort of signing based on the sort of clubs he's played for

Ahhh, I know.....
    When a player 4th choice and asks to go out on loan to get game time who would be stupid enough not to let him go
    It depends if you then also plan to sack the manager who deemed him to be fourth choice behind two ageing, short-term signings that were both released that summer, and the only other CB sold. That wouldn't happen at Charlton though would it?
  • sralan said:

Heard we are set to sign Martijn Wit van Mann from the network.

Really shit at corners.

That sort of tackle has no place in English football...

Unless you're Eric Cantona tackling a Palace fan of course
  • colin1961 said:

Ahhh, I know.....
    He was 4th choice for one reason, we thought some very dodgy other CB's were better.
  • Swisdom said:

I really really really hope Katrien isn't just using Chris Wilder's list and going after them.

That would be a very low thing to do.

Might also account for why we've reportedly lost a couple of players that way to Sheff Utd.....

That would be my guess
  • Alex Revell signs for Northampton.
  • edited June 2016

Alex Revell signs for Northampton.

Thank god for that
  • 38 pages in and we're still talking about a deal that was done 18 months ago...

Right now, most of the players who are available will be ones who have been (or are technically going to be released on July 1) from their contracts. I know it seems weird to say, but I do think the Euros have an impact on this, if not directly, then as a trickle down effect. Teams higher up are waiting to do their business until after the tournament, or at least the opening phases, and thus they're not making bids for players they want, clubs don't have money coming in, etc.