Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Thought we had some rumours on the rumours thread when i saw 34 new posts....ho hum......
  • Pico said:

The League One financial rules for newly relegated clubs are that player wages can't exceed 75% of turnover. Turnover includes any money put in by the owner as long as it isn't in the form of loans.

Therefore, if an owner wants to buy promotion by keeping or signing high earning players he can do so whereas he couldn't under FFP rules in The Championship.

So equity and fake sponsorship are OK but loans aren't?
    Could be a way of us clearing the other debt? If Roland is serious of keeping CAFC, he could put a LOAD of money in which the club can use to pay off the old debts. Could potentially make an offer as if we were in administration to some of the older investors by offering 60% to see if they take it. This would clear the club of debt which could hold it back if we get promoted. He can spend a load on players that will get us into the premier league the season after next, and all this without falling foul of FFP.

The guy is a genius.
  • Thought we had some rumours on the rumours thread when i saw 34 new posts....ho hum......

No, no ....... just people passing time while they check to see if Nicky Ajose has signed.
  • We are awaiting the "great Ajose". He had better be mustard. I expect at least half a dozen good performances from him before 1) we Charltonise him 2) our medical team fuck him up 3) the Belgians demoralize him... or all three!
  • I do find the glorification of Morrison a bit unique, to be honest. Agreed it was short-sighted of the club to ship him out without (apparently even thinking of) getting in a decent replacement, but he was an incredibly limited player...
  • I do find the glorification of Morrison a bit unique, to be honest. Agreed it was short-sighted of the club to ship him out without (apparently even thinking of) getting in a decent replacement, but he was an incredibly limited player...

Yet he holds down a place in a top half of the championship team. How can that be if he is "incredibly limited"?

Do you think he would be a good playing for us in league 1?

Do you think he would have been a useful player for us last season?

I won't even bother asking if you think he was better than Sarr who we paid a large fee for after giving Morrison away
  • Keep Harriet and cousins proper charlton sell the others

I think you need at least seven players on the pitch, including a goalkeeper, so just Harriet and Jordan isn't going to work.

Yet he holds down a place in a top half of the championship team. How can that be if he is "incredibly limited"?

I won't even bother asking if you think he was better than Sarr who we paid a large fee for after giving Morrison away
    I would also like to add he is Birmingham's captain.
  • Swisdom said:

Valley11 said:

Is Tracey Carl Leaburn's wife?

She is.

They have a son who must be a young teenager now. On Chelsea's books and apparently very decent
    He must get the talent from his mother's side :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

Fair enough, but there's a long list of players who've gone on to be much better for other clubs after leaving us. Just being honest and saying I didn't really rate him before he was sold. As to the other questions - when we sold him, I was still (perhaps deludedly) looking up the table, not thinking of us fighting in consecutive relegation battles before dropping down to league 1. We started that season with a decent run of results, and Bikey and TBH were looking good (though obviously none of it lasted).

I think he would be of use in league 1, but we got rid of him nearly two years ago! Bauer and Tex are good if we can keep them (dunno how likely). Sarr is obviously ridiculous. Everyone involved in running the club is ridiculous. As I said, it's the recruitment of replacements rather than letting him go in the first place, which I think was (and is) the problem. Not really even having a go at Morro, but I do find it a bit odd him being placed alongside Kermogant, Gomez etc in the players we've let go under the regime...
  • vff said:

Are there any actual transfer rumours ?

(apart from Nicky Ajose signing at some point soon)

Apparently, we might be signing Nicky Ajose at some point
  • In case someone missed it on the Russell Slade thread-:
    NEWS | Carl Serrant appointed as Head of Sports Science
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-head-of-sports-science-carl-serrant-3157626.aspx#wQW3cvR8uO2PVGhQ.99

Fair enough, but there's a long list of players who've gone on to be much better for other clubs after leaving us. Just being honest and saying I didn't really rate him before he was sold. As to the other questions - when we sold him, I was still (perhaps deludedly) looking up the table, not thinking of us fighting in consecutive relegation battles before dropping down to league 1. We started that season with a decent run of results, and Bikey and TBH were looking good (though obviously none of it lasted).

I think he would be of use in league 1, but we got rid of him nearly two years ago! Bauer and Tex are good if we can keep them (dunno how likely). Sarr is obviously ridiculous. Everyone involved in running the club is ridiculous. As I said, it's the recruitment of replacements rather than letting him go in the first place, which I think was (and is) the problem. Not really even having a go at Morro, but I do find it a bit odd him being placed alongside Kermogant, Gomez etc in the players we've let go under the regime...
    Morrison was not sold, he was given to Birmingham for no fee
  • Looks like Watt and Harriot staying
  • wouldn't read too much into that, they will both go if the Club get an acceptable offer
  • Just to confirm he was responding to Watts comment and the poster who asked if he was staying (we think)
  • Swisdom said:

I do find the glorification of Morrison a bit unique, to be honest. Agreed it was short-sighted of the club to ship him out without (apparently even thinking of) getting in a decent replacement, but he was an incredibly limited player...

Incredibly limited? Here was I thinking that we pissed League One with him in the side, finished 9th in the Championship despite limited investment the next season and then survived with zero summer investment and comedy January signings the following season. Morrison was an absolute rock in all three of those seasons. He was then chucked aside and we slide down to the level we're at now, while Birmingham improved dramatically, culminating in him being made captain. I think it's not glorification so much as looking at the facts. He's an excellent Championship level defender.
    I wouldn't say incredibly limited - but he was limited. Whenever he was captain for us he was awful. I suspect the level of coaching didn't help but he was shocking as a captain for us.

I'm glad he's done well for himself as he's a really top bloke but for those lauding him as the next Beckenbauer.....i think that's a little misguided too.

Really? Who said that or anything like that?

People have been saying he was and is a decent Championship player, not one of the best defenders ever.

Is that really the reason we sold him then "He's not as good a Beckenbauer, Roland" "Better sell him them, Katie, Karel says he's found a kid called Bauer who must be related so we'll sign him".
  • Sponsored links:

• Welcome Nicky, seems a good quality signing who can score goals at this level.
  • Pretty inventive way announcing the signing
  • Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 27s27 seconds ago
    #cafc confirm Nicky Ajose transfer. Three-year deal. Delay in move was down to his agent being out of the country.

Would explain how he was at the Valley and had his medical as it wasn't him on holiday but his agent!

• Wow didn't see that coming.
  • Swisdom said:

I do find the glorification of Morrison a bit unique, to be honest. Agreed it was short-sighted of the club to ship him out without (apparently even thinking of) getting in a decent replacement, but he was an incredibly limited player...

Incredibly limited? Here was I thinking that we pissed League One with him in the side, finished 9th in the Championship despite limited investment the next season and then survived with zero summer investment and comedy January signings the following season. Morrison was an absolute rock in all three of those seasons. He was then chucked aside and we slide down to the level we're at now, while Birmingham improved dramatically, culminating in him being made captain. I think it's not glorification so much as looking at the facts. He's an excellent Championship level defender.
    I wouldn't say incredibly limited - but he was limited. Whenever he was captain for us he was awful. I suspect the level of coaching didn't help but he was shocking as a captain for us.

I'm glad he's done well for himself as he's a really top bloke but for those lauding him as the next Beckenbauer.....i think that's a little misguided too.

People have been saying he was and is a decent Championship player, not one of the best defenders ever.

Is that really the reason we sold him then "He's not as good a Beckenbauer, Roland" "Better sell him them, Katie, Karel says he's found a kid called Bauer who must be related so we'll sign him".
    The way some people constantly refer back to him it's like we got rid of the second coming of christ.

He wasn't a world beater and he wasn't a donkey - I fail to see why we always come back to him. Dare I say it - move on!

• " this deal would not have taken place if it wasn't for the tireless work of CEO Katrien and for that I am truly grateful . Yes they have made mistakes in the past but their humble attitude in looking to rectify things is the main reason I have joined Charlton"
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

The way some people constantly refer back to him it's like we got rid of the second coming of christ.

He wasn't a world beater and he wasn't a donkey - I fail to see why we always come back to him. Dare I say it - move on!

Careful Swis, or Henry will be telling you how good Wagstaff is next!
  • We've only gone and done it... We've only gone and signed Colin!! - Look there is a video of him working away already!!

There's some activity at Sparrows Lane... #cafchttps://t.co/86LM2Sxto5

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) June 27, 2016
  • In other news... Interesting opponent for next season

BURY SIGN KIRKLAND

Chris Kirkland has joined League One side Bury on a one-year deal after leaving Preston.