Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Vs Wales

Anyone else see Woy making changes for this one?

I know that Vardy is flavour of the month, but seeing as Wales are going to sit back and let us come at them, this could be a game where Sturridge is a better bet up front?

Works well in tight spaces, has excellent close control and shoots with very little back-lift. Could be what we need in a tight game?

There seems little point taking five strikers, if we are going to keep picking the same ones!

Comments

• 2-1 Wales
  • 3-0 England. Rashford may play.
  • First time I have ever seen England in a major tournament. Bucket list item ticked - therefore Charlton fan logic says they will so turn us over.

Actually regardless - I really do think they will win. 1-0 Wales.
  • Same team, but with Sturridge in for Sterling for me
  • edited June 2016
    If we handle Bale, our superior quality should tell. But a decent sized if and we have to avoid giving away free-kicks in dangerous areas. I think the game will be won or lost in midfield. Also - and this is very important - If we go 1 up we need to look for the second!!!!!!!!
  • Wales play 5 at the back, we need width. Sterling should play out wide not a striker who left a club because he played wide too much and was completely limited.
  • edited June 2016
    I think we can get the width from the full backs - I like 2 up front against a five man defence and with Rooney playing the role just behind them, it can be three up front at times. I can see the merits of starting with Sturridge - If we go a goal up - Vardy needs to come on to exploit the gaps this will create!
  • edited June 2016
    Have Kane and Sturridge ever played together though...?

My line up would be the below with Dier shadowing Bale like a lost little puppy

Hart
    Walker ... Smalling ... Cahill ... Rose
    Dier
    Lallana ... Rooney ... Alli
    Vardy ... Kane
  • edited June 2016
    That isn't a bad line up. I'd probably put Henderson or Wilshire in the midfield instead of Lallana though.

Hart
    Dier
    Wilshire or Henderson ... Alli
    Rooney
    Vardy or Sturridge ... Kane

Full backs have to get fowards for this to be effective
  • Sponsored links:

• Its a shame really that Russia got that equaliser...

Had we won 1-0 then a draw between neighbours would have seen both sides through and would have pissed of the rest of Europe (i.e. like Germany / Austria and Sweden / Denmark did in previous tournaments)
  • There's gonna be a lot of teams 'picking' there opponent for next round.

Dreadful set up this tournament just like it was in the world cup in previous tournaments.

• If we lost on Thursday, We would still almost certainly qualify for the next stage if we beat Slovakia.
  • If we lost on Thursday, We would still almost certainly qualify for the next stage if we beat Slovakia.

A win against Slovakia and the only thing sending us home is potential Goal Difference.

If thats the case then Hodgson's pre-match talk should be simple: Go out there and score goals for the simple reason that if we win 1-0 then someone like Iceland (Who's group will be last) will have a few days to prepare for their game and ensure they themselves score the goals that push us into the bottom two sides.

Either way, have said it before I reckon that coming 2nd is the best option for us.

Win the Group: We play our 2nd Round match on the 25th June, three days after Group F finishes which'll be the earliest we'll know our opponents so we'll only have days to prepare, the Quarter Finals will see us play the winners of Group F or the Runners Up from Group E (So potentially Portugal or Belgium)

Finish 2nd: We play on 27th June and we play whoever comes second in Group F... The Quarter-Finals could see us end up having to face the winners of Group A (no doubt France) or a third place team.

Finish 3rd; Its really confusing as to who we'll play in the 2nd Round but it looks like we'll face the Winners from either Group D or Group C (no doubt either Germany or Spain)... If we were to beat Spain then in the Quarters we'd face the Runners Up from either "A" or "C" (so Switzerland or Poland)... If we were to beat Germany then our Quarter-Final would be against either the winners from "E" (Italy) or Runner-Up from "D" (Croatia)
  • I think we can get the width from the full backs - I like 2 up front against a five man defence and with Rooney playing the role just behind them, it can be three up front at times. I can see the merits of starting with Sturridge - If we go a goal up - Vardy needs to come on to exploit the gaps this will create!

Yeah sure if we revert to the diamond it is different and Vardy/Sturridge drifting out wide could work but I think most people were suggesting just sticking Sturridge out on the left like the old days just playing our best players out of position which won't work. I'd still play Sterling in the hole so he can run at people from deep as he looked pretty good there against Portugal rather than Rooney who didn't but played well deeper spraying balls out wide.
  • I live in Wales and my friends are winding me up big time. I predict 1-1 but could easily be 3-1 to us if we get into gear. I think Roy has a different game plan for this game and Vardy will play.
  • edited June 2016
    Big_Bob said:

We will draw this one and need to & beat Slovakia.

I see a draw with Wales and win against Slovakia.
    I see Russia improving and winning their next two games leaving the Group as thus.

Russia (7) ... England (5) ... Wales (4) ... Slovakia (0)

Or if not that... Wales or Slovakia will draw with Russia

Quite simply, my reasoning is that I cant see Wales going through the whole Group with maximum points or without losing at least one game, tiredness against better teams whilst nerves will surely play a part for them?
  • Sponsored links:

• It will be a draw.
  • We will beat Wales and Slovakia.

Wales will beat Russia.

Russia will beat Slovakia.
  • Wales to nick it 3-0
  • Going to win this one. 2-0, pleeeeeease
  • 2nd place finish will do me. At a wedding at 5pm on the Saturday
  • Wales have the best individual in Gareth Bale who I thought was a bit out of sorts against Slovakia (goal apart) and a lot will hinge on how we tie him up additionally Aaron Ramsey is also a key player who we have to look after. If we play collectively and take our chances I believe we can win as our attack is a lot quicker than their defence but my head tells me very, very tight maybe a 1-0 win but more likely 1-1.
  • supaclive said:

If we have ANY belief of winning this damn tournament, we should be beating Wales by 3 clear goals!

After watching yesterdays matches I cant see anyone having belief that we might fluke it.
  • Wales midfield is decent; Bale, Ramsey and Williams all very good players. Keep them quiet and we win the game.
  • Have Kane and Sturridge ever played together though...?

My line up would be the below with Dier shadowing Bale like a lost little puppy

Hart
    Dier
    Lallana ... Rooney ... Alli
    Vardy ... Kane
    That would be my line up as well.