Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Vs Wales

Comments

• Options

I am amazed at the amount of people that would leave Lallana out of their side!

Thought he was very good against the Russian's, and has the advantage of being able to play all the way across the midfield.

He has a lovely touch on the ball, genuinely two footed, can play on the half turn and displays a nice weight of pass in tight areas.

Possibly lacks a touch of pace and doesn't score enough goals, but I'd have him in all day long.

An attacking midfielder who hasn't scored in 26 international appearances. Like Milner - half decent for club, but not good enough at International level compared to Rooney, Ali, Wilshere, Vardy, Kane, Dyer and even Townsend. Which is why Drinkwater or Henderson should be playing next to Dier, thus allowing our full backs to bomb on and support the front 4, whoever they may be.
  • Options
    If we had held out another 30 seconds it would have been a perfect start. For all that, having seen England over the years, I'm convinced we'll draw with Wales and scrape through against Slovakia.
  • Options
    My cynicism says we will struggle tomorrow. Wales are a very well organised side and like so many smaller international sides they are built around one player with the rest prepared to run through walls. It is the biggest game in modern history for them and they will turn up for this. I hope nobody gets a stupid red card as even though they will be very compact I think this will be a cracker of a game

I'd like to see us look to stretch them and Dier to follow Bale like a shadow. Sterling and Lallana do their jobs and Rooney to put in a captains performance seeing us to a 2 nil win
  • Options
    This is a bit like Euro 96 with England facing another home nation and under pressure to win. I think changes are needed and Vardy should play.
    I predict it being 1-1, unless someone can produce a bit of magic like Gazza!
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I am amazed at the amount of people that would leave Lallana out of their side!

Thought he was very good against the Russian's, and has the advantage of being able to play all the way across the midfield.

He has a lovely touch on the ball, genuinely two footed, can play on the half turn and displays a nice weight of pass in tight areas.

Possibly lacks a touch of pace and doesn't score enough goals, but I'd have him in all day long.

An attacking midfielder who hasn't scored in 26 international appearances. Like Milner - half decent for club, but not good enough at International level compared to Rooney, Ali, Wilshere, Vardy, Kane, Dyer and even Townsend. Which is why Drinkwater or Henderson should be playing next to Dier, thus allowing our full backs to bomb on and support the front 4, whoever they may be.
    Not sure I agree with you on Drinkwater, good solid player but I don't think he is that much of a miss.

The problem I have with the likes of him and Henderson, is that they don't have the technical ability to keep the ball for long periods, so we end up losing possession and being given the run around.

Just look at the last Euro's when we had Parker and Gerrard in centrre midfield, who spent most of the game losing possession and then running themselves to exhaustion trying to get it back!

Like I said above, Lallana needs to add goals to his game, but he has a lot to offer and I have heard Klopp say that he is in his long term plans, so he must be doing something right.
  • Options
    Wales played 3-4-3 against Slovakia. Will they do that against us I'm not so sure. If they do I'd play 4-3-3 & really give them something to think about. Playing 3 up top would really nullify their wing backs & allow our full backs to push on.

I'd start with

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier Henderson

Llanna Rooney Alli

Kane

This formation can easily change to 4-3-3 and VARDY would definitely get some minutes this time
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Carter said:

I'd like to see us look to stretch them and Dier to follow Bale like a shadow. Sterling and Lallana do their jobs and Rooney to put in a captains performance seeing us to a 2 nil win

As much as I love Dier as a holding midfielder, if he man marks Bale, he's a red card waiting to happen. The one thing he hasnt got is pace. Christ, Danny Rose was interviewed the other day and said even Kyle Walker cant keep up with him.

As much as Bale is their dangerman, I dont think Roy should set out to neutralise him. Wales will pack the midfield and Roy should even it up in there.

As much as I dislike him as a player, I'm edging towards Henderson to sit alongside Dier. Then either Alli or Rooney behind Kane, not both of them.

Inteiguing to see how Roy plays it, just hope he doesnt opt for the same tactics as he did against Portugal!
  • Options
    A bloke who looks like a monkey has said none of our lot would get into the Welsh team? Ok Gareth, keep munching them bananas pal...
  • Options
    For me the scouse Lloyd Sam, Sterling, under performed last time. Those Russian defenders made Grant basey and Gary Doherty look quick yet we didn't really stretch them enough.

Vardy and / or Sturridge need to be involved for a decent length of time.
  • Options
    2-0. Rooney and Kane. Supremely confident about this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hart, Walker, Rose, Cahill, Smalling, Dier, Wilshire, Rooney, Lallana, Kane, Vardy.
  • Options
    Lallana is a quality player, on a technical level he's up there with some of the best sides. He does need a good bruiser next to him though, admittedly, I'd only play him and wilshere at the same time if we need a goal.

Can see us romping them or struggling. No 1-0 or 2-0 win.
  • Options
    Lallana is a quality player, on a technical level he's up there with some of the best sides. I think he's got the ability to change a game at this level. He does need a good bruiser next to him though, admittedly, I'd only play him and wilshere at the same time if we need a goal.

Can see us romping them or struggling. No 1-0 or 2-0 win.
  • Options
    Hart
    Walker Cahill Smalling Rose
    Dier
    Lallana. Rooney. Henderson
    Vardy. Kane
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I never really had any thoughts on Wales in general before this game, but after reading the comments by Ramsey and Bale, I hope we smash them to pieces. Hopefully one of ours will give Bale a kick early doors.

Not one of the England team for get in the Wales team? Ok monkey boy.
  • Options
    Charlton or England, can't remember the last time I had that 'big game feeling' where my day is wasted because I'm excited and singing football songs in my head.

Got that today though. Come on England!!
  • Options

Charlton or England, can't remember the last time I had that 'big game feeling' where my day is wasted because I'm excited and singing football songs in my head.

Got that today though. Come on England!!

Same. Nervous and excited.
  • Options

I never really had any thoughts on Wales in general before this game, but after reading the comments by Ramsey and Bale, I hope we smash them to pieces. Hopefully one of hours will give Bale a kick early doors.

It was obviously a joke.
  • Options
    2-1 to Wales
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As it gets closer I am getting more nervous and less confident. Before the tournament I expected us to win the group, now I can see us finishing third.
  • Options

I never really had any thoughts on Wales in general before this game, but after reading the comments by Ramsey and Bale, I hope we smash them to pieces. Hopefully one of hours will give Bale a kick early doors.

It was obviously a joke.
    If you watch the press conference it is clearly a joke.
  • Options
    Feel very confident that England will win comfortably today. There, I said it!
  • Options
    With the possible exception of Sterling, none of the starting 11 against Russia deserve to be dropped. Vardy for sterling perhaps!
    On a separate note I do wish Roy had picked Townsend as he always looks a threat for England and we're hardly blessed with options out wide
  • Options
    we've never been blessed with so many good strikers in an England squad.
    Poor management by Roy not to have two goal scoring forwards in the team. If he doesn't use Vardy, Sturidge or Rashford at some time today, i will assume we are already 2 goals ahead !

If Sterling is good enough to be in the England team as a wide man,
    then why is he not capable to take a corner instead of Kane who is a good header of the ball ?

Not to take Townsend in the 23 as a impact sub is just plain crazy.

England should have enough, despite what ever Bizarre team selection is made by Hodgson.

• Options

It was obviously a joke.
    If you watch the press conference it is clearly a joke.
    stick it in the Andy Murray with Tim Henman football bants that fans take out of context
  • Options

we've never been blessed with so many good strikers in an England squad.
    Poor management by Roy not to have two goal scoring forwards in the team. If he doesn't use Vardy, Sturidge or Rashford at some time today, i will assume we are already 2 goals ahead !

If Sterling is good enough to be in the England team as a wide man,
    then why is he not capable to take a corner instead of Kane who is a good header of the ball ?

Not to take Townsend in the 23 as a impact sub is just plain crazy.

England should have enough, despite what ever Bizarre team selection is made by Hodgson.

In France 1998 we had Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand and Owen. Fowler and Cole couldn't get in!
  • Options
    Well said Ben.

These are the best strikers we're had since 98.

I couldn't help thinking of when Bent and Defoe were left out and Eriksson took Owen who got injured straight away, Rooney sent off, young walcott who he took just for the ride and was left with just Crouch as his only striker.
    2006 if i remember rightly.

• Options
    1StevieG said:

A bloke who looks like a monkey has said none of our lot would get into the Welsh team? Ok Gareth, keep munching them bananas pal...

To be fair, he looks a lot less like a monkey than he did before he had his ears pinned back.

I think the greatest Bale description ever comes from Jim Campbell of the football ramble "Gareth Bale looks like a boy turning into a chimp."