Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Vs Wales

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options

I don't think Harry Kane has been great for the last 2 games, and I can understand why people would want Vardy to replace him, but I'd like to see if he can play his way back into form.

I know it was a longtime ago, but back in the World Cup 1986 when Lineker scored 6 goals, didn't he not score in the first 2 games, and then cracked in a hat rock in the final group match against Poland?

Whether it's the season taking its toll on him, or him adjusting to international football I don't know, would love to hear @JohnBoyUK thoughts on it.

It was bonkers him taking and skying free kicks though.

If Kane has been getting into great positions in the box, but missing chances it would be different. In the Russia game, he didn't get into the box once! Obviously not helped him having to take corners and free kicks, and still disappointing.

To me he looks slow and leggy, whereas Sturridge in particular looked sharp and lively, he wanted the ball all of the time and tried to do things
  • Options
    Marseille fan zone

'If England score we're in the sea'

Great fun
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'd love him if we had more players around him who can score goals. But if I was his manager for club and country, I would be challenging him to address this significant deficiency in his game. And I say that because I acknowledge that he is a very gifted player!

Acoording to wikipedia at least:

Adam Lallana for Liverpool - 1 goal every 6.3 games

Andreas Iniesta for Barcelona - 1 goal every 11.4 games

Mesut Ozil for Real and Arsenal - 1 goal every 5.5 games

David Silva for Man City - 1 goal every 5.3 games

Cesc Fabregas - career 1 every 5.3, at Chelsea one every 8.9 games.

You wouldn't put Lallana close to being in the class of those players but his goal scoring stats stack up reasonably well next to them at club level at least. Only a matter of time before he scores for England.
    I have only focused on Lallana a) because people have questioned me, and b) because of the lack of goals elswhere in the side Hodgson started both games with. If people cared to read- which most don't, they would see that I have always said he is an excellent player. The point is a general point beyond Lallana and the fact he is such a good player makes it all the more frustrating that he is such a poor goalscorer! But I'm not saying there should not be a place for him, the challenge for the manager is to ensure there enough goals in the side - that can be achieved around Lalllana with him playing, or it could make him a casualty but I don't think my point could be illustrated any better than by the fact that Hodgson introduced goals for the second half against Wales and both introductions delivered.
    If you "cared to read", you'd see he isn't "such a poor goal scorer" rather he is comparable to several of the world's top attacking midfielders.
  • Options
    olster said:

Marseille fan zone

'If England score we're in the sea'

Great fun

I'm in that! Wearing white t-shirt back left
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I don't think Harry Kane has been great for the last 2 games, and I can understand why people would want Vardy to replace him, but I'd like to see if he can play his way back into form.

I know it was a longtime ago, but back in the World Cup 1986 when Lineker scored 6 goals, didn't he not score in the first 2 games, and then cracked in a hat rock in the final group match against Poland?

Whether it's the season taking its toll on him, or him adjusting to international football I don't know, would love to hear @JohnBoyUK thoughts on it.

It was bonkers him taking and skying free kicks though.

I dont think he's done much wrong. He's had absolutely no service and he's created a couple of chances for others, notably the chance for Stirling against Wales putting Lallana through. His link up play has been good.

Got no issue him taking free kicks. He's scored a good few for Spurs.

I said before the Wales game he needed a goal early in the first half otherwise he'd be made a scapegoat. Just hope the stick he has been taking from the media doesnt affect him as I think it has been unwarranted.

Edit: meant to say, I'd still start him up top against Slovakia instead of Vardy.
    I've no doubt Kane would have looked better in the opening two games if he'd had a bit more support. I thought he wa better than made out vs Russia, although far from great, but he did look tired vs Wales. He's half a yard down on pace and he touch had been heavy. The current shape doesn't seem to be suiting him, at least against teams inclined to sit and defend. I wouldn't drop him for poor performance, but I'd like to see him rested vs Slovakia, possibly along with Alli. The only one I'd drop is Sterling.

It's a long tournament if we go deep into it as we hope, and some of these boys have had long old seasons. We have the deepest squad we've had for a while, especially in attack, nothing wrong with using it to keep things fresh. All of Sturridge, Vardy and Rashford are plenty good enough to trouble Slovakia in Kane's absence.

I'd like to see the shape stay the same, Rashford for Sterling, Sturridge for Kane, Wilshire for Alli.
  • Options
    Strong squad yes but can't see sterling or barkley playing at all now. Such a waste when we could have had Drinkwater and Townsend out there. Price we pay for not having a ruthless manager who would have left out off form players.
  • Options
    Sterling could still come off the bench to pick teams off on the counter if we are winning, not sure about Barkley though
  • Options
    Well, Drinkwater wouldn't likely be playing either. He does absolutely nothing that Dier doesn't already do equally well and I can't imagine him scoring from a free kick either if I'm honest. Townsend I will grant you, but then he's as likely to be absolute cack as brilliant.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Watched the game at the Irish bar, with some Welsh friends, had to listen to some yank moan about how boring football is for most of the game.....

What a great result! Get in! Neither Sterling or Kane can start next week, surely?

Was he an NFL fan? Probably not enough breaks in the game for him to pop out and get sodas and corn dogs. He had probably also allocated 4 hours out of his schedule for it.
    Baseball, he kept banging on about the lack of goals, totally missing the point that a game not having 985349085094285 goals is what makes the game special.

He better not be there on Monday.
    Baseball however. Absolute shite.
    In the Tokyo Dome, watching this tedious sport has distinct advantages.
    Until you stand up to leave after 4 hours of alcohol being delivered to your seat.

4 hours drinking without leaving your seat. I would have been sitting in quite a smelly puddle and very wet trousers when I got up to leave. Respect to those that can last 4 hours without a piss. Oh for those days.
    I can't last 4 minutes.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'd love him if we had more players around him who can score goals. But if I was his manager for club and country, I would be challenging him to address this significant deficiency in his game. And I say that because I acknowledge that he is a very gifted player!

You wouldn't put Lallana close to being in the class of those players but his goal scoring stats stack up reasonably well next to them at club level at least. Only a matter of time before he scores for England.
    I have only focused on Lallana a) because people have questioned me, and b) because of the lack of goals elswhere in the side Hodgson started both games with. If people cared to read- which most don't, they would see that I have always said he is an excellent player. The point is a general point beyond Lallana and the fact he is such a good player makes it all the more frustrating that he is such a poor goalscorer! But I'm not saying there should not be a place for him, the challenge for the manager is to ensure there enough goals in the side - that can be achieved around Lalllana with him playing, or it could make him a casualty but I don't think my point could be illustrated any better than by the fact that Hodgson introduced goals for the second half against Wales and both introductions delivered.
    If you "cared to read", you'd see he isn't "such a poor goal scorer" rather he is comparable to several of the world's top attacking midfielders.

He is a poor goalscorer - there is no point arguing over the obvious! But if you must, argue with the player himself!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-adam-lallana-admits-10745785
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Solidgone said:

Watched the game at the Irish bar, with some Welsh friends, had to listen to some yank moan about how boring football is for most of the game.....

What a great result! Get in! Neither Sterling or Kane can start next week, surely?

Was he an NFL fan? Probably not enough breaks in the game for him to pop out and get sodas and corn dogs. He had probably also allocated 4 hours out of his schedule for it.
    Baseball, he kept banging on about the lack of goals, totally missing the point that a game not having 985349085094285 goals is what makes the game special.

Until you stand up to leave after 4 hours of alcohol being delivered to your seat.

4 hours drinking without leaving your seat. I would have been sitting in quite a smelly puddle and very wet trousers when I got up to leave. Respect to those that can last 4 hours without a piss. Oh for those days.
    I can't last 4 minutes.

Bet your missus loves you!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Solidgone said:

I can't last 4 minutes.

The old ones are the best.
  • Options
    Ashley Williams could easily have been playing for England.
    Best thing about this article though is the picture of Toshack & Flynn ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36368474
  • Options

He is a poor goalscorer - there is no point arguing over the obvious! But if you must, argue with the player himself!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-adam-lallana-admits-10745785
    I don't know why I'm getting drawn into this, I'm not a huge Lallana fan or anything, but in that article he is talking about being a goalscoring blip where he hadn't scored for a few months - even proper goalscorers sometimes go through this. Shortly after that article he broke that drought and scored five goals before the end of the season.

He an average goalscorer for an attacking midfielder, not a poor one as the stats I quoted earlier clearly deomnstrate..
  • Options
    He is a very poor goalscorer, but an excellent player. I don't know why I am getting drawn into something everybody bar you seems to be aware of!!!!!!
  • Options
    Only reading through the thread now, baffled by the Henderson criticism. Created our best chances (Vardy, Clyne, Kane) and was our one midfielder so far who has got into dangerous positions in the box and moved the ball a bit quicker. Made himself undroppable for me especially as Alli was wank again.
  • Options
    I must admit, I didn't rate Henderson, when he broke into the team, but he would be my first choice now!
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

CAFCsayer said:

Solidgone said:

I can't last 4 minutes.

The old ones are the best.
    Said Wayne Rooney......
    Oh dear, that woman was rough.
  • Options
    Salad said:

Ashley Williams could easily have been playing for England.
    Best thing about this article though is the picture of Toshack & Flynn ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36368474

I reckon Flynn would still do Toshack in a fight!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So Bale now says that no one from the England Squad would get into the Welsh Team.

Wonder if he went back to training, saw Simon Church practicing his shooting and thought: I'm gonna regret that comment

probably not

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Wales have now won more Euro knockout games in 90mins (one) than England have in their history (none).
  • Options

Wales have now won more Euro knockout games in 90mins (one) than England have in their history (none).

And regardless how many games Wales / England / Northern Ireland / Scotland have won...

England are the only side to have won something...

Doesnt matter how many you win if you dont go home with the trophy
  • Options
    the highlight of englands euros has been narrowly beating a wales side and losing to a team whos assistant manager is a specialist in colgate.