Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Vs Wales

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Chunes said:

I agree entirely with the Sterling criticism except the ones saying he has the brain the size of a peanut. His runs are intelligent and he knows how to work and find space. The problem is that after he's done all the hard work, he swings his foot at the ball and misses it. It's bizarre but not down to footballing intelligence. Psychology, maybe. Perhaps he's going to be a Walcott and never quite fulfill that potential.

And Sterling is only 21, players at that age are still developing and will have bad spells. Lallana is 28 and far more experienced - he played 265 times for Southampton alone
  • Options

Was in the England end.

The winner was crazy in there, great moment.

The Wales celebration was equally as big.

You are not going to look great against these teams who look like they would die for the cause. You just have to find a way to win and this time we managed it.

Slovakia can play a bit so looking foward to Monday.

Great comments here, just been catching up on a few.
    The thing about football and about modern international football in particular [where you have IMO too many teams taking part in the finals of tournaments such as this one], is that it's far easier to defend than it is to attack. Any manager with half a decent football brain can use second, even third rate players to set themselves up to stop top quality players. We saw an example of that with Ronaldo against Iceland, though he was by all accounts not quite fit. Lots of these defensive teams are playing a chain of five at the back, with four filling the gaps in front. To get through that, it takes a world class player playing at the top of his game.

That is the fact of these international tournaments in the group stages. Personally, I'd go as far as to say the group stages aren't even about football; it's more just a fight to get through. The real football tournament starts in the knock-out stages to where hopefully the real international quality footballers will have progressed.

Sorry if I appear elitist here, but at international level, I don't really think much of the mantra earn the right to play.

England are capable of beating anyone in this tournament, confidence will for us be key.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Hopelessly late posting of an excellent cartoon.
  • Options
    Exiled! That comic strip has already been posted and re-posted several times and talked about a fair bit.
  • Options

Exiled! That comic strip has already been posted and re-posted several times and talked about a fair bit.

Goddamit.
  • Options

Watched the game at the Irish bar, with some Welsh friends, had to listen to some yank moan about how boring football is for most of the game.....

What a great result! Get in! Neither Sterling or Kane can start next week, surely?

Was he an NFL fan? Probably not enough breaks in the game for him to pop out and get sodas and corn dogs. He had probably also allocated 4 hours out of his schedule for it.
    Baseball, he kept banging on about the lack of goals, totally missing the point that a game not having 985349085094285 goals is what makes the game special.

He better not be there on Monday.
    I watched some baseball once right. Now i may have picked a particularly poor game I am not sure. But seriously the majority of the time was spent standing around. When play did happen nothing happened the were four innings(?) In a row where neither team got a point(home run?) I mean thats at least 2 hours where not a point was scored. Eh? I am a man who loves cricket especially the longer form of the game. I fully understand why people say its boring, but you can never say there is 2 hours where not a run is scored or no wickets are taken. And if there was its probably because one side ia desperatly trying to hold on for a draw, in which case its very tense.

Baseball however. Absolute shite.
  • Options
    To true canters
  • Options

Watched the game at the Irish bar, with some Welsh friends, had to listen to some yank moan about how boring football is for most of the game.....

What a great result! Get in! Neither Sterling or Kane can start next week, surely?

Was he an NFL fan? Probably not enough breaks in the game for him to pop out and get sodas and corn dogs. He had probably also allocated 4 hours out of his schedule for it.
    Baseball, he kept banging on about the lack of goals, totally missing the point that a game not having 985349085094285 goals is what makes the game special.

I watched some baseball once right. Now i may have picked a particularly poor game I am not sure. But seriously the majority of the time was spent standing around. When play did happen nothing happened the were four innings(?) In a row where neither team got a point(home run?) I mean thats at least 2 hours where not a point was scored. Eh? I am a man who loves cricket especially the longer form of the game. I fully understand why people say its boring, but you can never say there is 2 hours where not a run is scored or no wickets are taken. And if there was its probably because one side ia desperatly trying to hold on for a draw, in which case its very tense.

I had an experience exactly like that. I was in the US during Euro 2008. I wanted to watch the football, but the older Yanks told me football was boring, never any goals scored and baseball was much better. The younger ones would have been interested in the football.

Two hours of baseball later, zero runs scored. Meanwhile, the football match we would have watched instead ended 3-2.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

In the Tokyo Dome, watching this tedious sport has distinct advantages.
    Until you stand up to leave after 4 hours of alcohol being delivered to your seat.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Until you stand up to leave after 4 hours of alcohol being delivered to your seat.

Did the exact same last summer. Best food I've had in a stadium too.

Unfortunately your post is let down by the tedious sport part.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The only water carrier in the Squad is Henderson.
    Adam Lallana is a talented two footed footballer who has upped his work rate and had two decent games. My only criticism is 0 goals in 25 matches for England,
    Yet Hodgson thought he would play him and the out of form Sterling as the main box players as Kane didn't get one decent pass in the First game.
    To compound the problem and play the same three up front against Wales for 45 minutes when it was obvious that Harry Kane's lone wolf up front for Spurs this season has left him Leggy, was just plain wrong.
    The only reason that Roy corrected his bizarre team selection up front at H/T was because Gary Neville told him that the sub edited at the Sun was going to put his face on a turnip if England didn't win the game.
    (other Vegetables are available)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    100% correct. Hodgson has got credit for correcting a massive mistake he made. For doing what a lot of us were saying he should do from the start. Having said that, at least he did it quickly! He has put together an excellent England squad, and that is credit to him, but he shouldn't forget the basics of football and try to be too clever. It is all about scoring goals at the end of the day. If he has had a freezing cold bucket of cold water poured over him and has now found his senses, well, lets enjoy what can be acheived in this tournament. That cold bucket was Bale's free-kick by the way -Hodgson was 45 minutes away from being an abject failure! With a fair wind, we can win it now!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Can't believe the criticism Lallana is getting from some. Every team needs a 'water carrier' and Lallana supplies that and more.

I agree but water carrier is a severe understatement of his ability. Like am I taking crazy pills or is lallana not seriously talented with the ball at his feet? Water carrier is for some one like Andy Hughes, some one of limited ability but won't lose the ball and can tidy up. Lallana is one of the few players that seem like he can pull some magic like the likes of iniesta seem to produce at the big moments. The kind of player you need to show patience to to allow them to thrive.
    *Superlike
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Never mind the water carrier.
    The beer carriers look entertaining to me.
    Not the sport though!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Can't believe the criticism Lallana is getting from some. Every team needs a 'water carrier' and Lallana supplies that and more.

I agree but water carrier is a severe understatement of his ability. Like am I taking crazy pills or is lallana not seriously talented with the ball at his feet? Water carrier is for some one like Andy Hughes, some one of limited ability but won't lose the ball and can tidy up. Lallana is one of the few players that seem like he can pull some magic like the likes of iniesta seem to produce at the big moments. The kind of player you need to show patience to to allow them to thrive.
    You're not mad. Lallana has skills. He's showed work rate and desire in the first two games too. He's maybe yet to deliver a significant number of assists and/or goals for England, but he's a useful player for us. If you give him the ball in a tight spot, he'll usually keep it and pass to a white shirt. It sounds like damning with feint praise, but it's not the kind of player we have been blessed with over the years. To my mind he is that classic technical type of player that always goes under appreciated by England fans.
  • Options
    I'd love him if we had more players around him who can score goals. But if I was his manager for club and country, I would be challenging him to address this significant deficiency in his game. And I say that because I acknowledge that he is a very gifted player!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I've really enjoyed Rooney's last 2 performances for England, do you think he will be able to keep up that level of performance against better teams?

Or is he looking good because of the quality of opposition and the fact that the system works for him?
  • Options

4 hours drinking without leaving your seat. I would have been sitting in quite a smelly puddle and very wet trousers when I got up to leave. Respect to those that can last 4 hours without a piss. Oh for those days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've really enjoyed Rooney's last 2 performances for England, do you think he will be able to keep up that level of performance against better teams?

Or is he looking good because of the quality of opposition and the fact that the system works for him?

I do think his discipline, positioning and tacking will let him down against a better side. The like of Germany will overrun that midfield unless Dier is given better support.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'd love him if we had more players around him who can score goals. But if I was his manager for club and country, I would be challenging him to address this significant deficiency in his game. And I say that because I acknowledge that he is a very gifted player!

Acoording to wikipedia at least:

Adam Lallana for Liverpool - 1 goal every 6.3 games

Andreas Iniesta for Barcelona - 1 goal every 11.4 games

Mesut Ozil for Real and Arsenal - 1 goal every 5.5 games

David Silva for Man City - 1 goal every 5.3 games

Cesc Fabregas - career 1 every 5.3, at Chelsea one every 8.9 games.

You wouldn't put Lallana close to being in the class of those players but his goal scoring stats stack up reasonably well next to them at club level at least. Only a matter of time before he scores for England.
  • Options

Jdredsox said:

I thought that we were lucky to win and Wales probably deserved a draw.

Setting that aside, sitting as deep as Wales did is always going to invite trouble, and their organisation which was impressive for most of the was undone by a direct run from Sturridge.

It was good to see Roy make positive changes although if we had held on against Russia I worry that he may have been happy to hold out for a draw and ended up being as negative as Wales in those closing moments.

Players:

Hart - rightly criticised for not dealing with the freekick better but giving bale a chance in the middle of the park is inviting trouble. With the power he can hit the ball with being further out is more of a blessing than a curse as it gives him more room to get the ball up and down.

Walker - my man of the match. Looked the most likely to make something happen in the second half. With Lallana sitting inside most of the game he offered our only real width.

Cahill & Smalling - barely tested but did well enough when called on.

Rose - similar to walker. I'm still concerned when he is called on to defend as he has a tendency to get too far forward and can get caught out relying on his pace to get back.

Lallana - average. Didn't offer too much, I think he should be taking corners.

Dier - tidy. Tried to put some balls through without effect but swept up in front of the defence well.

Alli - good first half, second half the tactics didn't suit him until he shifted back in behind Vardy.

Sterling - doesn't look half the player he was at Liverpool. Confidence gone? A glaring hole in Roy's squad that wasn't mentioned often was the fact that we only have 2 wingers. Maybe rose could play there with Bertrand behind him?

Kane - better than the Russia game. Started the move for the sterling chance. Was isolated at times and not as direct as Sturridge and Vardy.

Vardy - he's having a party! Had one chance and took it. Wales felt aggrieved but Williams did head it and I can only imagine the 5th/6th official saw it as there is no way that the linesman did. With Wales so deep the space for his runs was limited. We looked disjointed and I can't help but feel Drinkwater would have been useful in this squad.

Sturridge - frustrating for 40 mins with his penchant for blasting over the bar from distance and not looking to pass until it was too late. But he was direct and this unsettled Wales and got us the goal. Moved across the pitch without complaint and worked hard for the team.

Rashford - well at least he isn't another Walcott. A couple of decent runs at the RB but out of place on the left and was crowded out when he cut inside. Potential but was this a tournament too early for him?

Onto Slovakia!

So Wales deserved a draw but barely tested our centre backs?

Me no understandee...
    I don't remember us really testing Hennesey that much. 5 shots on target says it all.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

@Jdredsox you forgot Rooney

Whoops! And I thought he was one of our better players. Teaches me to post on the commute into work.
  • Options
    Imo, Lallana needs more time on the pitch with Sturridge/Vardy and probably Wilshere instead of Ali. More players that can pass the ball forward and the obvious link with Sturridge.

I'm actually quietly optimistic if we get out the group, this team will be far stronger in open games than against teams that just sit back for 85mins.

Whilst it wouldn't be fair to over criticise a 21 year old, sterling really is pants. That transfer hasn't helped him one bit.

Lastly, Harry Kane - he's been in an impossible position for me. No good crosser, nobody up and around him.

Go 4231. Dier and Rooney if we must, Wilshere, Lallana, Sturridge and Kane up top.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Acoording to wikipedia at least:

Adam Lallana for Liverpool - 1 goal every 6.3 games

Andreas Iniesta for Barcelona - 1 goal every 11.4 games

Mesut Ozil for Real and Arsenal - 1 goal every 5.5 games

David Silva for Man City - 1 goal every 5.3 games

Cesc Fabregas - career 1 every 5.3, at Chelsea one every 8.9 games.

You wouldn't put Lallana close to being in the class of those players but his goal scoring stats stack up reasonably well next to them at club level at least. Only a matter of time before he scores for England.
    I have only focused on Lallana a) because people have questioned me, and b) because of the lack of goals elswhere in the side Hodgson started both games with. If people cared to read- which most don't, they would see that I have always said he is an excellent player. The point is a general point beyond Lallana and the fact he is such a good player makes it all the more frustrating that he is such a poor goalscorer! But I'm not saying there should not be a place for him, the challenge for the manager is to ensure there enough goals in the side - that can be achieved around Lalllana with him playing, or it could make him a casualty but I don't think my point could be illustrated any better than by the fact that Hodgson introduced goals for the second half against Wales and both introductions delivered.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Jdredsox said:

Jdredsox said:

I thought that we were lucky to win and Wales probably deserved a draw.

Setting that aside, sitting as deep as Wales did is always going to invite trouble, and their organisation which was impressive for most of the was undone by a direct run from Sturridge.

It was good to see Roy make positive changes although if we had held on against Russia I worry that he may have been happy to hold out for a draw and ended up being as negative as Wales in those closing moments.

Players:

Hart - rightly criticised for not dealing with the freekick better but giving bale a chance in the middle of the park is inviting trouble. With the power he can hit the ball with being further out is more of a blessing than a curse as it gives him more room to get the ball up and down.

Walker - my man of the match. Looked the most likely to make something happen in the second half. With Lallana sitting inside most of the game he offered our only real width.

Cahill & Smalling - barely tested but did well enough when called on.

Rose - similar to walker. I'm still concerned when he is called on to defend as he has a tendency to get too far forward and can get caught out relying on his pace to get back.

Lallana - average. Didn't offer too much, I think he should be taking corners.

Dier - tidy. Tried to put some balls through without effect but swept up in front of the defence well.

Alli - good first half, second half the tactics didn't suit him until he shifted back in behind Vardy.

Sterling - doesn't look half the player he was at Liverpool. Confidence gone? A glaring hole in Roy's squad that wasn't mentioned often was the fact that we only have 2 wingers. Maybe rose could play there with Bertrand behind him?

Kane - better than the Russia game. Started the move for the sterling chance. Was isolated at times and not as direct as Sturridge and Vardy.

Vardy - he's having a party! Had one chance and took it. Wales felt aggrieved but Williams did head it and I can only imagine the 5th/6th official saw it as there is no way that the linesman did. With Wales so deep the space for his runs was limited. We looked disjointed and I can't help but feel Drinkwater would have been useful in this squad.

Sturridge - frustrating for 40 mins with his penchant for blasting over the bar from distance and not looking to pass until it was too late. But he was direct and this unsettled Wales and got us the goal. Moved across the pitch without complaint and worked hard for the team.

Rashford - well at least he isn't another Walcott. A couple of decent runs at the RB but out of place on the left and was crowded out when he cut inside. Potential but was this a tournament too early for him?

Onto Slovakia!

So Wales deserved a draw but barely tested our centre backs?

Me no understandee...
    I don't remember us really testing Hennesey that much. 5 shots on target says it all.
    Wales had 2 on target. England had 20 off target to Wales' 8, England had 70% possession. I still no understandee...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I don't think Harry Kane has been great for the last 2 games, and I can understand why people would want Vardy to replace him, but I'd like to see if he can play his way back into form.

I know it was a longtime ago, but back in the World Cup 1986 when Lineker scored 6 goals, didn't he not score in the first 2 games, and then cracked in a hat rock in the final group match against Poland?

Whether it's the season taking its toll on him, or him adjusting to international football I don't know, would love to hear @JohnBoyUK thoughts on it.

It was bonkers him taking and skying free kicks though.
  • Options
    Harry Kane has been asked to play on his own up front. The opposition team talk is stop Kane. He is likely to have a part to play in this tournament - Sterling too.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I don't think Harry Kane has been great for the last 2 games, and I can understand why people would want Vardy to replace him, but I'd like to see if he can play his way back into form.

I know it was a longtime ago, but back in the World Cup 1986 when Lineker scored 6 goals, didn't he not score in the first 2 games, and then cracked in a hat rock in the final group match against Poland?

Whether it's the season taking its toll on him, or him adjusting to international football I don't know, would love to hear @JohnBoyUK thoughts on it.

It was bonkers him taking and skying free kicks though.

I dont think he's done much wrong. He's had absolutely no service and he's created a couple of chances for others, notably the chance for Stirling against Wales putting Lallana through. His link up play has been good.

Got no issue him taking free kicks. He's scored a good few for Spurs.

I said before the Wales game he needed a goal early in the first half otherwise he'd be made a scapegoat. Just hope the stick he has been taking from the media doesnt affect him as I think it has been unwarranted.

Edit: meant to say, I'd still start him up top against Slovakia instead of Vardy.