Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovakia

Interesting if true, would imagine...

vardy, sturridge, lallana, hendo, wilshere, dier, bertrand, smalling, cahill, clyne, hart

Comments

• Options
    Are we basically through? Most of these changes are sensible, though for me Rooney and walker have been amongst our best players. Worthy of a rest as long it doesn't dump us out if we lose or guarantee us a team in the next round we can't beat (on paper. I have been following england long enough to know we won't beat them in reality)
  • Options
    Very risky but ultimately if we top the group after resting these players it could pay off big time.
  • Options

I wouldn't touch the defence. Needs all the games together to improve.

On the other hand, the fullbacks have been getting up and down even more than the role normally asks for - pretty much all the width is provided by them so far. Might be worth giving them a break as if/when we do get through their going to be tested a whole lot more defensively than they have so far.
  • Options
    He took Henderson to play him at some point.

Looks as though Sterling has been shelved.
  • Options

He can't do that I have Walker and Alli in my fantasy team!

Dream on, Canters! ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I thought Rooney had had a god rest. This is just as important game as the previous ones - Yes, we almost certainly already have enough points to qualify to the next stages, but our future in the tournament could decide on how high we are placed in our group! I think Hodgson should play the team he would have played if we had lost to Wales! We also need to bed the team in!
  • Options
    Good, would be the right decision. Swapping out the fullbacks is needed, as both Rose and Walker have gotten up and down in the first two matches, and had long seasons at club level. Clyne and Bertrand are the more defensively minded, and that's good against a very fluid Slovakia attack.

I think the midfield trio of Henderson-Wilshere-Dier is very strong, and has better balance than the midfield from the first two matches. Henderson was taken to the tournament to be the water-carrier in the midfield, and it's a role he does pretty well.

Will be interesting to see if Woy starts with 4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-3, but the nice thing about that team is, if accurate, he can alternate between the two formations during the match. The midfield balance allows for England to potentially press the back four of Slovakia as well, as having Wilshere and Henderson's fresh legs and engines behind the front three really helps.

Sturridge starts on merit for me, changed the game when he came on. Curious to see how Vardy does from the start, still think he's a "super sub" in the knockout rounds. Lallana has been very good, even if he only has 60 minutes in him. Would also be nice if England are in a comfortable enough position that Sterling could be brought in for the last ~20-30 minutes to run at tired legs, presumably for Lallana, in the hope of him re-finding a bit of confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lallana and Henderson on that right side could be our undoing.
  • Options
    Just had a good look at the permatations of the Group Winners etc, and possibly finishing 2nd in the group would not be a disaster.

Unless I have read the groups wrong, then if we finish 2nd then we play the 2nd placed team in Portugal's group, which in all likelihood is going to be Iceland/Hungary/Austria (Surely Portugal will win against the Hungarians to win the group).

Winning the group would mean playing either Albania, Northern Ireland or worst of all possibly Croatia or the Czech's, which would be the worst case scenario.
  • Options
    Agree with the above, it is vital to use the squad wisely and not flog certain players to death.

If we get to the 1/4's then things like suspensions and injuries will play a part, and you don't want somebody like Henderson and Wilshere thrown into the deep end without having a game behind them.

Likewise with the forward players, give Kane, Rooney, Ali and Sterling a break, which they will benefit from for the next game (hopefully).

Have a suspicion that Wilshere will come good in this tournament, he certainly can't complain about being tired!
  • Options
    No changes. Sovakia is a god side and very dangerous with the likes of Hamsik and Weiss
  • Options
    In Roy we twust.
  • Options
    A midfield of Dier Wilshere Henderson has very little attacking penetration. Worried Roy is treating this game as a foregone conclusion. What a nightmare it's going to be if we're going into the final minutes with a draw. All it takes is one slip-up and we're out.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Chunes said:

A midfield of Dier Wilshere Henderson has very little attacking penetration. Worried Roy is treating this game as a foregone conclusion. What a nightmare it's going to be if we're going into the final minutes with a draw. All it takes is one slip-up and we're out.

Roy isn't perfect but a man of his experience will not be taking this as a forgone conclusion. His job is on the line.
  • Options
    If we win we top the group with potentially an easier path to the final. If we draw, we may finish second, depending on the result of the other match. If we lose, we could easily finish third, depending on the other match.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

We're already through, realistically, though finishing top or second is much better than 3rd.

I think it's a sensible decision.

Oh, and I think Wilshere adds a lot, attacking-wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good idea, keeps the squad fresh, you can have the players on the bench if its goes wrong, you don't need your key players picking up a needless yellow card and risking suspension later in the tournament.
  • Options
    Can't see him making that amount of changes. think Vardy, Sturridge and Wilshire will start.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Are we basically through? Most of these changes are sensible, though for me Rooney and walker have been amongst our best players. Worthy of a rest as long it doesn't dump us out if we lose or guarantee us a team in the next round we can't beat (on paper. I have been following england long enough to know we won't beat them in reality)

At the moment it looks as though 3-points will get teams through if they finish 3rd.

With us on four points we can almost allow Slovakia and Wales to win and finish ahead of us... Although I'd prefer to go out and destroy Slovakia so that Northern Ireland get through to the next round!!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Good idea, keeps the squad fresh, you can have the players on the bench if its goes wrong, you don't need your key players picking up a needless yellow card and risking suspension later in the tournament.

Are the yellow cards not wiped after the group stages? I could be wrong but thought I heard that the other day. Although it may be the QF stage?

however if you do get booked the the last group game and it's your 2nd then you would be suspended for the last 16 game. Cahill is walking the tightrope tonight, however I'm not sure I'd want him left out for Stones. Think we really need to get through as Group winners.

• Options

Are the yellow cards not wiped after the group stages? I could be wrong but thought I heard that the other day. Although it may be the QF stage?

however if you do get booked the the last group game and it's your 2nd then you would be suspended for the last 16 game. Cahill is walking the tightrope tonight, however I'm not sure I'd want him left out for Stones. Think we really need to get through as Group winners.

After the quarter finals I believe.

• Options

Nah Yellow Cards are wiped out after the Quarter-Finals.

Means that a player can only miss the Final if they get sent-off (or two yellows) in the Semi-Finals
  • Options
    Never, ever fck about with a defence unless absolutely necessary

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Team for me against Slovakia would be as follow

Hart
    Walker ... Smalling ... Cahill ... Rose
    Dier ... Wilshere
    Rooney
    Sturridge ... Vardy ... Rashford

Go with the team that'll have the confidence of just having scored a late winner against Wales
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Salad said:

Slovakia are a good team and the next game isn't until the weekend so need for a rest, should be trying build on the understanding between players, particularly in defence.

Agreed... The friendlies are what should have been used for trying different things.

Now its about installing fear into the opposition, not getting cold feet ourselves