Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovakia

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    Can't decide on this issue, I agree that the 3rd place issue, has meant more boring games and negative tactics (Slovakia, Austria, Albania etc).

However it has also given us some great stories and romance in the shape of Ireland, Iceland and Northern Ireland.

You could argue that the overall quality is down, but that the excitement levels are up!
  • Options
    And now the tournament starts proper!
  • Options

Carter said:

It won't ever change for a number of reasons I won't bore you all to death with an in depth assessment but some key reasons are these

1) not enough focus on technique at development level STILL

2) disproportionate revenue distribution. Chelsea and their horrible youth farming policy where they sign up anyone half decent only for then never to get near the first team because they've signed a Dutch 23 year old instead for 35 million

3) the premier league. Ticket prices too high, enormous pressure so nobody gives young players a go

4) English players themselves not moving abroad to test themselves or even just to play in a top tier. Too content to draw a wage and constantly schlepping about on loan until they are 24 and get released

5) the FA, they tie managers up and hang them out to dry. They do not support them when big decisions are needed

6) a lack of desire from English coaches to go abroad and learn. No nation has a monopoly on how best to do things but if you are only used to the English way we will always be at a disadvantage.

7) stereotypically, too many foreign players. No incentive whatsoever for premier league clubs to help the national team purely token gestures.

8) the British press. For some reason they are intent on making life as difficult as possible for everyone involved in the national team and always have been.

Points 4 and 6 are massive for me.
    The thing is with points 4 & 6 is that players and coaches from England need to be wanted by teams abroad, they cannot just jump on a plane and turn up at a club.

Sadly the way we are set up in this country is that all our clubs want foriegn imports because they are technically better and in the case outside the PL cheaper.

Spanish, Italian, French teams are not queuing up for our English players and coaches because quite simply they do not see them as good enough.

Neville & Moyes recently are typical.
  • Options

Can't decide on this issue, I agree that the 3rd place issue, has meant more boring games and negative tactics (Slovakia, Austria, Albania etc).

However it has also given us some great stories and romance in the shape of Ireland, Iceland and Northern Ireland.

You could argue that the overall quality is down, but that the excitement levels are up!

I feel the same up to a point, the Ireland/Northern Ireland stuff has been great to see. Iceland would have qualified 2nd anyway, actually.

On the other hand, I feel stronger that the 'romance' of finishing 3rd in a weak group of 4 teams is a bit overstated. Would much rather 16 better quality teams have a good old ding-dong in the groups to qualify for the quarters.
  • Options

Carter said:

It won't ever change for a number of reasons I won't bore you all to death with an in depth assessment but some key reasons are these

2) disproportionate revenue distribution. Chelsea and their horrible youth farming policy where they sign up anyone half decent only for then never to get near the first team because they've signed a Dutch 23 year old instead for 35 million

3) the premier league. Ticket prices too high, enormous pressure so nobody gives young players a go

4) English players themselves not moving abroad to test themselves or even just to play in a top tier. Too content to draw a wage and constantly schlepping about on loan until they are 24 and get released

5) the FA, they tie managers up and hang them out to dry. They do not support them when big decisions are needed

6) a lack of desire from English coaches to go abroad and learn. No nation has a monopoly on how best to do things but if you are only used to the English way we will always be at a disadvantage.

7) stereotypically, too many foreign players. No incentive whatsoever for premier league clubs to help the national team purely token gestures.

8) the British press. For some reason they are intent on making life as difficult as possible for everyone involved in the national team and always have been.

The thing is with points 4 & 6 is that players and coaches from England need to be wanted by teams abroad, they cannot just jump on a plane and turn up at a club.

Sadly the way we are set up in this country is that all our clubs want foriegn imports because they are technically better and in the case outside the PL cheaper.

Spanish, Italian, French teams are not queuing up for our English players and coaches because quite simply they do not see them as good enough.

Or because the talent pool is decreasing to such a point that they have nobody to choose from
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Hodgson thou earning less than Capello, is probably the highest paid Manager at Euro 2016.
    He has to get the big decisions right.

He is the highest paid manager but that is pretty much irrelevant. We have the richest FA and to be able to attract anyone into the job you have to pay big wages. At the very minimum equal to what a PL manager would get.
    If any of the English managers of the last ten years in the premiership had been offered the job before Capello, they would have taken it for half of what he was paid. The money is only relevant in that if your paying top dollar then you at least want someone who is sharp as a knife and quick thinking. Taking 135 minutes to get Vardy and Sturidge involved doesn't strike me as the right guy in charge.
    Oh come on don't start with this patriotic nonsense. The English managers knocking about before Capello would have pretty much all be taking a step up in what they had available at the time so of course they would have taken it. At the same time the FA are always going to be forced to pay top dollar for whatever manager they get in. We have the richest league in the world, the richest FA, the highest paid managers and players plus you also have to deal with the nonsense that is our press and fans. Fucking right they should be paying top money for a manager. Wouldn't you be asking for it as well?
    You are missing my point, i don't care where the manager or head coach comes from as long as they can make good decisions.
    Eddie Jones from Australia made a fantastic call when he took Burrell off and put Ford on in the 1st Rugby test against Australia.
    Cappello was a poor international manager, treating the players like children and yet earned a fortune at Russia as well where he was rubbish. Erickson who had a top squad wasn't capable of doing any coaching his self,

I would like to see 2 million a year given for a manager of England with a bonus of 2 million if we get to a final and another 2 million if we win it.

They wouldn't be paying out anytime soon with some of the decisions that are made in the tournament since 1990 in WC and 1996 in Euros.

Winning all the games in easy qualifying really means nothing when in the heat of competitions.
    We also wouldn't get a manager who has been at any level above the bottom third of the PL.

Tbh I quite like Hodgson and feel sorry for all the abuse he gets (mainly driven by the tabloids). He is in a no win situation all the time. Blamed for the last world cup when in reality he had little choice over the players he took and the shocking performances they put in. Qualified with the best record for the Euros, is then told by everyone that it was an easy group that's what should have happened. Then the changes at half time for Wales, rather than saying well done for making them he is told that he should have done that at the beginning of the game.

Like I said, a no win situation. Truth is, if 1 or 2 players had put away their chances we'd have got 9 points in that group. Is that Hodgson's fault? I'm sure someone would have still found him at fault for something though.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Carter said:

Or because the talent pool is decreasing to such a point that they have nobody to choose from
    And why is the talent pool decreasing...............poor coaching and too many imports.

I am lucky enough to remember watching England win the World Cup in 66, I am not confident a lot of you young guys on here will witness the same.
  • Options
    No, and nor did we witness it the 70s, 80s, 90s or noughties!
  • Options
    Wondered how long it would take for the too many foreign players line to come out.
  • Options
    Foreign players are forcing us to improve our game if anything as they highlight the issues we have with it - we have to get better at improving technique in young players. We have made great strides in that over recent years, but at a young age, winning is still more important than development unfortunately. Still we do have some excellent young players and I think the future is better than it was and can improve further.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Completely agree. People need to get past seeing foreign players as the cause and rather the consequence. Spain and Germany have a high percentage of home grown players and that's simply because they are better. More coaches, better quality coaching and better facilities. We are making strides but I feel we are so far behind many countries it will be hard to catch up.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Completely agree. People need to get past seeing foreign players as the cause and rather the consequence. Spain and Germany have a high percentage of home grown players and that's simply because they are better. More coaches, better quality coaching and better facilities. We are making strides but I feel we are so far behind many countries it will be hard to catch up.

I think Germany and Spain have twice the qualified coaches we have. FA costs is a huge factor in that.
  • Options

29 shots more like 29 attempts.
    Their goalkeeper hardly had to make a save, the stats paint a different picture to what really went on. We have played the worse team in the competition and drew, lucked out against Wales and failed to score against a team that are only there because the of the increase in numbers.
    The Quarter finals and no further, as long as we don't get the banana skin that would be Iceland next.

I should have put money on that.