Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovakia

Comments

• Options
    Don't think any of those rotations are a massive drop off other than Rooney/Walker on form to be honest. Full backs need to be rested as they have done a mental amount of running and Rooney has had a few injuries this year. Think we have good depth and happy for us to use it
  • Options
    I bet the press guys are lining up for this one. If we get beat tonight and Wales win this means we limp in as a third place finisher and play a strong side in the next round.

If this happens.....................bye, bye Woy!
  • Options
    Dont see him making all those changes, think its paper talk.
  • Options
    As everyone has said Walker is an absolute athlete and probably doesn't need resting. Keep the defence as is. I'd leave out Kane and start Sturridge and have Vardy instead of Sterling. Not sure if Llalana needs a rest but he had a good game against Wales and deserves to keep his place.
  • Options
    Should play the reserves so give Stirling and Kane a run out....
  • Options

Don't think any of those rotations are a massive drop off other than Rooney/Walker on form to be honest. Full backs need to be rested as they have done a mental amount of running and Rooney has had a few injuries this year. Think we have good depth and happy for us to use it

Agreed. I Given he looked knackered after 50 minutes against Russia, I have questions over Rooney's fitness, or at least his fitness to play in midfield.

As far as the fullbacks go, both have spent all year running up and down the flanks for Spurs.

My initial reaction to the first game, particularly the performances of Kane, Rooney, and Alli was "let's have that winter break conversation again." I still think these players look more leggy than they did during the season. Any rest is good as we enter their 10th-11th straight month of football.

As far as understanding goes, I think that is developed as much, if not more, on the training ground than it is in the third match of a group stage. Woy will have spent 2-3 days laying out how he wants his team to play, and in between now and next Monday he will do the same.

Lastly, England have a pretty deep squad, particularly in midfield and attack. Now is a good time to use that squad. I'm not sure I'd start Vardy, as I think he requires space in behind to be effective and I doubt Slovakia will give him much of that (though they are slow and mediocre at the back), but there isn't much of a drop-off in quality as Tut-Tut mentioned. Wilshere has the ability to be a better midfielder than Rooney, and though Henderson is very different to Alli, he is a player who works selflessly and provides a good platform to the attack. I still hope that at some point Woy can find a way to have Wilshere, Alli, and Dier playing in midfield as I think it's the strongest midfield on paper (moving Rooney forward), but I'm not sure Alli and Wilshere have the discipline and maturity to play together.
  • Options
    From my selfish perspective as much as anything I need us to win the group and I hope Roy and the team go out with that intention which I no doubt expect they will.

I don't think the changes above would cause too big a problem and resting the odd player is not a bad idea. I was certainly calling for Wiltshire in that 2nd half in Lens.

I just hope we keep the momentum going from the Wales games and really go for a strong win tonight. Momentum and confidence are as important as anything else.

If we do that it could have a Euro 96 feel about it:

Struggle/draw against Switzerland / Russia
    Win battle of Britain in dramatic fashion against Scotland / Wales
    Smash Holland / Slovakia????

Winning the group definitely gives us an easier 'on paper' path!!
  • Options
    I want to see us build momentum. We have been good in both matches (less said about the first half against Wales the better - Sloths would have sprung out of defence faster) but I saw little that suggests we will be better against the teams who are looking good (France and Spain for example) so I would tinker as little as possible at the moment.
  • Options
    Can't see Hodgson resting his captain Rooney after he ran the game against Wales.

I see the sense of the three attacking changes (Sturridge, Vardy, Wilshere in for Sterling, Kane, Alli).

The full back changes I would have mixed feelings about and I can see both sides of the argument.
  • Options
    Won't be happy with this line up, which means they'll smash it.image
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't know whether its because its Monday, but feels a little 'after the Lord Mayor's Show', this one.

I agree with making changes, you should have faith in your squad, its a long trip where you need a happy camp, and those coming in will be doing so without playing with fear on their shoulders. Thursday was both a physical and emotionally demanding game, and all being well, Saturday will come around again quickly.
  • Options
    That front 3 looks exciting.
  • Options
    Relax everyone, we will win......
  • Options
    Whoever did it... Thank you for editing the title from "England Slovakia" to "England v Slovakia" was driving my OCD crazy!!
  • Options
    Concerned about this many changes. Rarely works well for teams at a tournament.
  • Options
    Personally think Sterling, Kane and Alli all needed either dropping or resting.Full back make sense - our formation asks a lot of them and there is a fag paper between all 4 of them in the squad in terms of ability. It one area we can definitely rotate without significantly weakening the team (cue them both giving away a penalty).

Not sure Rooney need to be rested as he hasn't had as demanding a season as some in the side, but he's a key player and Roy wants to protect him. Understandable.

We should still be good enough to beat Slovakia.
  • Options
    I'm uncomfortable with the changes if made. Knowing England it's a banana skin waiting to happen. I'd rather start with who finished the Wales game.
  • Options
    Certainly can't see 6 changes being made. Keep the momentum going with the team that finished the last game. Both games so far have seen us try and break down a team who are happy to sit back and hit us on the break unsuccessfully. Push Rooney further up the field to support the front two and cause havoc in the box.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Having slagged off Roy Hodgson for taking 135 minutes to put Vardy and Sturidge on; I feel that, it is the right idea to give other players in the squad minutes.
    we need to keep players involved and others at the peek of their fitness
    Jack Wiltshere should play at least 60 minutes, as well as the water carrier Henderson. Vardy and Sturridge should start, with Kane getting some minutes at the end to make sure that his confidence doesn't drop too much. I guess you could switch Walker and Rose for Clyne and Bertrand.

Only Barkley and Stones would've had no game time, of the outfield players
    If Roy picks the team being mentioned in the media.

• Options
    Rob said:

I'm uncomfortable with the changes if made. Knowing England it's a banana skin waiting to happen. I'd rather start with who finished the Wales game.

But thats three changes straight away?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I take it back. Fingers crossed it works
  • Options
    I think 6 changes is odd unless you've already won the group. I hope it works out but it's a big risk
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I take it back. Fingers crossed it works
    Bold move. Hopefully it won't backfire. To be fair though (and I'm going to sound like Tony Mowbray) that XI should be beating Slovakia.
  • Options
    Happy with the side he's but out, plenty of legs in that side and players who can get up and down well.

Also has the chance to become a diamond formation as well as Sturridge being pushed slightly out wide with Lallana being the other side.

Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand
    Henderson Dier Wilshere
    Lallana Vardy Sturridge

But I think I prefer

Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand
    Dier
    Henderson Wilshere
    Lallana
    Vardy Sturridge
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Won't be happy with this line up, which means they'll smash it.image

Spot on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Having slagged off Roy Hodgson for taking 135 minutes to put Vardy and Sturidge on; I feel that, it is the right idea to give other players in the squad minutes.
    we need to keep players involved and others at the peek of their fitness
    Jack Wiltshere should play at least 60 minutes, as well as the water carrier Henderson. Vardy and Sturridge should start, with Kane getting some minutes at the end to make sure that his confidence doesn't drop too much. I guess you could switch Walker and Rose for Clyne and Bertrand.

Only Barkley and Stones would've had no game time, of the outfield players
    If Roy picks the team being mentioned in the media.

If we're a couple of goals to the good, then stones will get on to avoid a 2nd yellow for Cahill, and probably Barkley to give him some mins. Which actually means means Rashford, Kane and Rooney will all be on trying to get an equalizer in the 2nd half.
  • Options
    We certainly can't accuse Roy of being boring now. Very interesting selection.

As a natural pessimist I'm worried but also intrigued to see how we play at the same time.
  • Options
    Still surprised about leaving out Rooney. Who will be captain? Hart?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Still surprised about leaving out Rooney. Who will be captain? Hart?

Cahill is vice captain.
  • Options
    Well Vardy and Sturridge pretty much everyone expected. When fit (rarely), Wilshere has always performed fairly well for us and to be honest before the tournament there's quite a few people who would've preferred Clyne and Bertrand over Walker and Rose anyway, so i don't see this as too big a gamble.

However he'll be crucified if we lose.