Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicola Sturgeon

Comments

• Options
    We lasted until Page 2, folks!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Aaaaaaand she's off!! independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-results-latest-nicola-sturgeon-second-scottish-independence-referendum-eu-referendum-a7100466.html

The hypocrisy of that woman knows no bounds! Not content with the SNP voting against Sunday trading laws in England to match the ones in Scotland, she's now insisting that Scotland be fully involved in the discussions about the UK's future relationship with Europe whilst at the same bloody time demanding a referendum to get Scotland out of the UK! Yep, we're going to let you decide how we deal with Europe and then fuck off so you don't have to abide by those decisions yourself. I fucking hate that woman!

Sooooo, would ya?
  • Options
    If Sturgeon had been leader of the SNP during their vote, the yes vote would have won. Salmond was also seen by many Scots as a thoroughly unlikable self serving bloke who couldn't be trusted and many voted no because of him. Sturgeon is also a much better speaker and better at giving answers to important questions that Salmond couldn't answer.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Wasn't a major issue of the last independence referendum that the EU gave no assurances whatsoever that an independent Scotland would automatically enter the EU? In fact wasn't the noise from Brussels that they would have to join the queue behind Turkey if they declared independence?

She, Lec and the whole SNP are duplicitous charlatans who are doing far more insidious damage to Scotland than Thatcher ever did. I sincerely hope they are locked out of all discussions in the coming months and years. And no to a second referendum.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Wasn't a major issue of the last independence referendum that the EU gave no assurances whatsoever that an independent Scotland would automatically enter the EU? In fact wasn't the noise from Brussels that they would have to join the queue behind Turkey if they declared independence?

She, Lec and the whole SNP are duplicitous charlatans who are doing far more insidious damage to Scotland than Thatcher ever did. I sincerely hope they are locked out of all discussions in the coming months and years. And no to a second referendum.

I think we could apply to continue the Uk membership as Scotland as SCOTLAND didn't want to leave.

A leave vote in the last referendum would have meant adding an additional member to th EU

• Options

Fiiish said:

I think we could apply to continue the Uk membership as Scotland as SCOTLAND didn't want to leave.

A leave vote in the last referendum would have meant adding an additional member to th EU

Plus the EU didn't want Scottish independence because of ramifications for other EU countries like Spain and their independence areas so said what they did to discourage the Yes vote. Now that the UK has voted to leave it's a completely different ball game and the EU will welcome an independent Scotland with open arms as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Sod another referendum tell them to do one and give them the RBS debt as a going away present.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Aaaaaaand she's off!! independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-results-latest-nicola-sturgeon-second-scottish-independence-referendum-eu-referendum-a7100466.html

The hypocrisy of that woman knows no bounds! Not content with the SNP voting against Sunday trading laws in England to match the ones in Scotland, she's now insisting that Scotland be fully involved in the discussions about the UK's future relationship with Europe whilst at the same bloody time demanding a referendum to get Scotland out of the UK! Yep, we're going to let you decide how we deal with Europe and then fuck off so you don't have to abide by those decisions yourself. I fucking hate that woman!

Sooooo, would ya?
    Not if she was the last Krankie on Earth!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Yes, this was crucial in the previous referendum, that Scotland would be removed from the EU and might not be let back in.

Now, Scotland has been forced out of the EU against its wishes when it would like to remain.

Whether you like them or not, the SNP are the elected representatives of almost all of Scotland in Westminster and form the government of one of the UK's constituent countries. Excluding them from having an input in the UK's future or their country's future is childish.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

I don't think legally that would ever work. I would also not want our Brexit procedure to be slowed in any way by the sweaty Nats who couldn't run a bath. Scotland has no right to automatically take the UK's place. The UK as a whole has voted to leave and we need to respect the result, no amount of sweaty wriggling is going to convince me otherwise.
  • Options
    She is more Mary Hen from Rab C Nesbitt to me.
  • Options

She's made a poor call on this imho

Why ?

Scotland today is no where near as good financially as they were when the original referendum was called.

Oil, for example, was a large bargaining tool and is worth a lot less now.

I've got not problem with the SNP going on about independence, but financially it would be a disaster for them at the moment.

At the previous election, they suggested that Scotland could still use the Pound after independence, no way could that happen now, if they were in the EU and England wasn't, so they'd have to adopt the Euro instead...
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited June 2016

She's made a poor call on this imho

Why ?

Scotland today is no where near as good financially as they were when the original referendum was called.

Oil, for example, was a large bargaining tool and is worth a lot less now.

I've got not problem with the SNP going on about independence, but financially it would be a disaster for them at the moment.

At the previous election, they suggested that Scotland could still use the Pound after independence, no way could that happen now, if they were in the EU and England wasn't, so they'd have to adopt the Euro instead...
    I don't think to them that looks as unappealing as it did in September 2014.

I think there are many Scots who voted No to independence before, but will vote Yes if they have the chance again in order to maintain membership of the EU. If it takes joining the Euro, many will be OK with that now
  • Options
    I'm currently in Austria and following the news online.
    The radio news broadcast in German (which I don't understand) report Brexit.
    But they play a recording of Nicola Sturgeon talking of a Scottish independence vote.
    No recording of Cameron resigning, just Nicola Sturgeon.
    Maybe they think she is the most important current British politician as political chaos reins South of the border.

• Options
    More people voted in the Scottish referendum to remain in the UK than voted in the EU referendum to stay in the EU didn't they? So how do they have a mandate? They aren't very good at Maths anyway; once in a lifetime means twice or until they get the result they want. And their oil revenue l̶i̶e̶ prediction was 13 times higher than reality!
  • Options
    Sturgeon is perfect for the EU - keep ordering a re-vote until the electorate get the "right outcome".
  • Options

More people voted in the Scottish referendum to remain in the UK than voted in the EU referendum to stay in the EU didn't they? So how do they have a mandate? They aren't very good at Maths anyway; once in a lifetime means twice or until they get the result they want. And their oil revenue l̶i̶e̶ prediction was 13 times higher than reality!

TBF did they quantify what lifetime they were referring to? It could have been a house fly.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

TBF did they quantify what lifetime they were referring to? It could have been a house fly.
    The lifetime of a Charlton head coach?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    She would have done better with her time in going to meet Trump who is pumping millions into the Scottish economy and creating jobs at the Turnbury golf complex :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

I don't think legally that would ever work. I would also not want our Brexit procedure to be slowed in any way by the sweaty Nats who couldn't run a bath. Scotland has no right to automatically take the UK's place. The UK as a whole has voted to leave and we need to respect the result, no amount of sweaty wriggling is going to convince me otherwise.
    You seem to not understand why the EU said no to Scotland originally. It wasn't about what was fair, or membership procedures. It was scare mongering to try and stop similar growing calls for independence from regions in Countries such as Spain that would have grown had Scotland voted Yes. Now the UK has voted out the EU's selfish reasons for their previous stance on Scotland no longer apply. The EU will happily accept an independent Scotland now.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

You seem to not understand why the EU said no to Scotland originally. It wasn't about what was fair, or membership procedures. It was scare mongering to try and stop similar growing calls for independence from regions in Countries such as Spain that would have grown had Scotland voted Yes. Now the UK has voted out the EU's selfish reasons for their previous stance on Scotland no longer apply. The EU will happily accept an independent Scotland now.
    It's not that I don't understand, I disagree with your opinion.
  • Options
    Salad said:

I never liked her before she became SNP leader, however since then I have been increasingly impressed by her inetgrity and leadership; 'tis a pity she could not be the next UK Prime Minister.

I like Meire and Duchatelet too. And Piers Morgan
  • Options
    Scottish independence will come and the external border of the European union will be Scotland.
    The English will be able to enjoy our Independence from Europe and reminisce about past glories - beating the Germans at football in 1966 and winning the war.
    All watched over by King Charles and Queen Camilla.
    God help us.
  • Options

cfgs said:

The lifetime of a Charlton head coach?
    Or a Conservative Prime Minister?
  • Options

feck off !!! bloody sweaty's had their vote (which we wernt involved in) and they voted to stay in -we now vote to leave & they want another bl**y vote !!! They should have thought about what we might do when they voted !!!

Makes you laugh - someone ask Miss Sturgeon how a few sheep farmers & fishermen are going to pay for free NHS prescriptions for the rest of the population. Basket case of a country & will be broke within 5 years.

Just involve us next time & I'll tell them where to go.......

So where do you stand on Scotland being part of the UK?

Do you want them to remain as a part of the UK, alongside England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Or are you happy for them to self-determine?

Put it another way: if a country's membership of a union fundamentally changes, should they have the right to decide for themselves whether to remain or leave?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

DRAddick said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

It's not that I don't understand, I disagree with your opinion.
    Spain I understand would veto. Anyway they would more than likely have to apply to join as a new nation. They would not get same terms as UK and I believe would have to take the euro. Effectively they would end up with less independence than they enjoy now! Would be interesting to see what Scots think of that.
  • Options
    An independent Scotland would almost certainly need to apply to join the EU, be approved by all members, adopt the Euro and therefore surrender a big advantage of its financial services sector. I'm not sure if I can see them winning a referendum under such circumstances.

Of course Nicola and the SNP will just lie to the Scots like last time and give them false promises of special treatment.