Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicola Sturgeon

123457»

Comments

• Options

So......Nicola Sturgeon.......would ya?

Stop fishing for answers. Not a good catch but I'm sure some would deBAIT that. Wouldn't have her back at my Plaice or anywhere near my Rod.
    So...........I'll put you down as a maybe?
    Lol. It's a no from me.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

Fair play to sturgeon she is a strong and forceful leader and I personally respect the ballsy nature thatvshe approaches the things she wants

However

If she gets her wish, she would like to maintain open boarders with England and maintain the pound that too me seems slightly strange and somewhat unworkable, within the current frame work, and yet the biggest obstacle within that is that the decision will be made by people who have not been democratically elected to pass laws on day to day things that will effect others,

It's a big tick as to why we don't need the EU In The guise it is today

Thankfully we had the foresight to opt to leave

The currency thing is the biggest hurdle for Scotland. EU rules state that to be a member you need to have a central bank. So Scotland either needs to create one, or be part of someone else's. But as you say I can't see how that would work.
    The currency thing was the biggest hurdle last time (and their half baked plan to retain the pound and share the BoE was woeful) but it pretty much answers itself this time round - Scotland would have to join the Euro. I think a majority of Scots would accept that if it meant staying in the EU rather than remaining in a UK dominated by an England which is increasingly right wing and politically incompatible with the main Scottish sentiment and has now dragged them out of the EU against the wishes of the vast majority of Scots.
    The vast majority of Scots voted to stay as part of the UK. They knew the ruler then and nothing has changed them, they want everything their way but seem to forget that like the rest of us they have to abide by the majority in any decisions made.
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

Fair play to sturgeon she is a strong and forceful leader and I personally respect the ballsy nature thatvshe approaches the things she wants

However

If she gets her wish, she would like to maintain open boarders with England and maintain the pound that too me seems slightly strange and somewhat unworkable, within the current frame work, and yet the biggest obstacle within that is that the decision will be made by people who have not been democratically elected to pass laws on day to day things that will effect others,

The currency thing is the biggest hurdle for Scotland. EU rules state that to be a member you need to have a central bank. So Scotland either needs to create one, or be part of someone else's. But as you say I can't see how that would work.
    The currency thing was the biggest hurdle last time (and their half baked plan to retain the pound and share the BoE was woeful) but it pretty much answers itself this time round - Scotland would have to join the Euro. I think a majority of Scots would accept that if it meant staying in the EU rather than remaining in a UK dominated by an England which is increasingly right wing and politically incompatible with the main Scottish sentiment and has now dragged them out of the EU against the wishes of the vast majority of Scots.
    The vast majority of Scots voted to stay as part of the UK. They knew the ruler then and nothing has changed them, they want everything their way but seem to forget that like the rest of us they have to abide by the majority in any decisions made.
    Eh - last time Scots voted their was a coalition government and the U.K. was in the EU. Now England has taken the UK out of the EU and there's a Tory government that's fast becoming the polar opposite of what Scotland wants. 2014 is light years ago in British political terms and I now sincerely hope Scotland leaves the UK.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

However

Eh - last time Scots voted their was a coalition government and the U.K. was in the EU. Now England has taken the UK out of the EU and there's a Tory government that's fast becoming the polar opposite of what Scotland wants. 2014 is light years ago in British political terms and I now sincerely hope Scotland leaves the UK.
    True enough, but I'd laugh my bollocks off if they voted to remain part of the UK next time, I really would
  • Options
    se9addick said:

sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

However

On that basis the whole of the UK should have been able to vote on whether Scotland should have been granted independence with the likely outcome being a resounding NO.
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

However

On that basis the whole of the UK should have been able to vote on whether Scotland should have been granted independence with the likely outcome being a resounding NO.
    Why and why ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

sarge1g said:

se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

However

It's not out of the question, I'll never take a democratic result for granted again though. I think Scottish Labour are close to coming out in favour of independence which really would make it difficult to see something other than independence happening. The big challenge would be if the EU came out and said Scotland would have to go to the back of the queue rather than automatically qualifying for membership, even then I think the prospect of one day being part of the EU as an independent Scotland would be more compelling to most than never being part of the EU as part of the U.K. dominated by the Tories.
  • Options
    Angus Robertson in Parliament today could not have been clearer. The SNP intend to be relentless for independence as a way of remaining in the EU.
    Crystal clear and pretty angry.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Maybe he should look up the fecking definition of independence !!!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Angus Robertson in Parliament today could not have been clearer. The SNP intend to be relentless for independence as a way of remaining in the EU.
    Crystal clear and pretty angry.

But still retain the pound and have open borders with the England,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forgive my political naivety but can anyone explain why Nicola Sturgeon talks about a betrayal of the Scottish fishing fleet, while apparently forgetting that she wants Scotland to Remain in the EU which would have a similar impact.

“Scottish government accused the Conservatives of "a massive sell-out" of the Scottish fishing industry. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: "The promises that were made to them (Scottish fishermen) during #EUref and since are already being broke - as many of us warned they would be."
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Forgive my political naivety but can anyone explain why Nicola Sturgeon talks about a betrayal of the Scottish fishing fleet, while apparently forgetting that she wants Scotland to Remain in the EU which would have a similar impact.

“Scottish government accused the Conservatives of "a massive sell-out" of the Scottish fishing industry. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: "The promises that were made to them (Scottish fishermen) during #EUref and since are already being broke - as many of us warned they would be."

It’s the difference between politics and policy.

If the Tory’s promised something that they are not going to deliver, it’s in her political interests to raise that as an issue.

The fact that she disagrees with their policy isn’t the point here - it’s that her political opponents lied.

It’s now up to the Tory’s to play their political card pointing out her hypocrisy, while trying to gloss over that they lied.

It’s just part of the game.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Presumably because most people will grasp that, even though she campaigned for the losing side, she still thinks the winning side should keep their promises.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    stonemuse said:

Actually...nah fuck it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

stonemuse said:

Presumably because most people will grasp that, even though she campaigned for the losing side, she still thinks the winning side should keep their promises.
    Seems fairly reasonable.