Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicola Sturgeon

Comments

• Options
    Peter_G said:

That's a reasonable summary Redmidland. And what the Scots might want to think about if they have the referendum is how the EU will treat an independent Scotland. Scotland receives quite a lot of Westminster money under the Barnett formula. They will surely kiss that goodbye if they achieve independence. Will they expect the EU to replace that with subsidies? Why would the EU agree to that? Maybe they would agree to it in exchange for Scotland adopting, say, the Euro and Schengen?

Thanks @Peter_G . I think if given the opportunity they would take the Euro and Schengen in return for similar financial support as now under Barnett formula.
    Its a bit like Wales, the North East of England and the Farmers/Fisheries saying that Westminster must substitute the money they receive currently direct from the EU, which is what they have been saying since yesterday.
    There is a lot to think about in any decision they take, but maybe the thought of being away from Westminster control and in the EU will drive them that way?
  • Options
    My opinion is that they had their referendum on Independence and voted no that's it. Whoever is Prime Minister should point this out and tell helmet head to go back to Scotland and work on how they can contribute to the British economy instead of trying to make a bad situation worst, she should be ashamed of herself.
  • Options

Peter_G said:

That's a reasonable summary Redmidland. And what the Scots might want to think about if they have the referendum is how the EU will treat an independent Scotland. Scotland receives quite a lot of Westminster money under the Barnett formula. They will surely kiss that goodbye if they achieve independence. Will they expect the EU to replace that with subsidies? Why would the EU agree to that? Maybe they would agree to it in exchange for Scotland adopting, say, the Euro and Schengen?

Thanks @Peter_G . I think if given the opportunity they would take the Euro and Schengen in return for similar financial support as now under Barnett formula.
    Its a bit like Wales, the North East of England and the Farmers/Fisheries saying that Westminster must substitute the money they receive currently direct from the EU, which is what they have been saying since yesterday.
    There is a lot to think about in any decision they take, but maybe the thought of being away from Westminster control and in the EU will drive them that way?
    There's no way the EU could afford to replicate the UK support for England. With the UK leaving, they'd already have less money to play with
  • Options

Peter_G said:

In the same way that people voted Brexit despite the warnings that they would be poorer as a result, lots of people in Scotland will vote for independence, knowing they will be poorer, after all money isn't everything

Financially, the sums for an independent Scotland at the moment look pretty rocky, having to implement severe spending cuts on the first day of independence would be a painful start
    That's not what we normally hear about Scots though is it?
  • Options
    Fucking whinging cry babies...
  • Options
    If my name was Sam Mcsoapbox i would want to be in the EU as countries
    with a population of 5 and a half million seem to gain more than they lose.
    The big powerhouses like Germany and France pay out more.
    Disney Matter to me if we leave the Sassenachs. aboot time, Nae bothered,
    Let's Cross the Watter and pay homage to bonnie prince Charlie.
    Jacobites rule OK.

I still think it was wrong what happened to William Wallace in Smithfield. Today he would only have been given a wee curfew by the Polis, not hung drawn and quartered.
  • Options
    Fuck that he got what he deserved
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fuck that he got what he deserved

Yeh, racist drunken Aussie twat!
  • Options
    William Wallace shouldnt be getting involved in this sort of thing, should concentrate on next season with Sheffield Wednesday!!
  • Options
    Apparently Cambridge voted to remain but I have not seen anything about them asking to remain in the EU this woman is a short ass, I mean vertically challenged idiot desperate to find some way to be recorded for achieving something historic, dream on, you had your chance and lost just get on with it.
  • Options
    Now wants to stay in the UK and the EU, stating that parts of Denmark are outside the EU (ie Greenland and the Faro Islands). Not sure she knows what she is saying. She is banking on everybody who voted remain, would vote to leave the UK, not sure that is true as it would only take a small percentage to swing the vote to remain in the UK.
  • Options
    If the same number of Scots that voted in their referendum were alone tomorrow in a polling booth with a pencil and a voting slip, the vote for independence would be massive.
    I wouldn't blame them.
    This is my opinion by the way.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    seth plum said:

If the same number of Scots that voted in their referendum were alone tomorrow in a polling booth with a pencil and a voting slip, the vote for independence would be massive.
    I wouldn't blame them.

Would they vote for the Euro? Calais style refugee camps on their side of a 'hard' border with England? An end of the Barnett Formula? Would they vote to take on their share of the national debt? Things aren't as simple as you make out.
  • Options
    Don't think the SNP are really taking this seriously. They decided to shave a terrier, get it pissed and put it up as their representative on the Marr show this morning. Absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

this woman is a short ass, I mean vertically challenged idiot

pathetic

• Options
    Would ya ?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

We lasted until Page 2, folks!

But you didn't tell us if you would, Leuth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Would ya ?

She's the Bride of Chucky!!

No chance
  • Options

seth plum said:

I wouldn't blame them.

Would they vote for the Euro? Calais style refugee camps on their side of a 'hard' border with England? An end of the Barnett Formula? Would they vote to take on their share of the national debt? Things aren't as simple as you make out.
    You may be right. However I believe if they voted tomorrow they would vote for independence.
    They, like the brexiters, would vote first, and hope somehow it all sorts itself out second.
  • Options
    The English Left needs a leader like Sturgeon
  • Options
    Any Scotsman who understands economics would not be voting for independence. That's what ultimately shot sturgeons lies down last time round.
  • Options
    Fair play to sturgeon she is a strong and forceful leader and I personally respect the ballsy nature thatvshe approaches the things she wants

However

If she gets her wish, she would like to maintain open boarders with England and maintain the pound that too me seems slightly strange and somewhat unworkable, within the current frame work, and yet the biggest obstacle within that is that the decision will be made by people who have not been democratically elected to pass laws on day to day things that will effect others,

It's a big tick as to why we don't need the EU In The guise it is today

Thankfully we had the foresight to opt to leave
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    sarge1g said:

Apparently Cambridge voted to remain but I have not seen anything about them asking to remain in the EU this woman is a short ass, I mean vertically challenged idiot desperate to find some way to be recorded for achieving something historic, dream on, you had your chance and lost just get on with it.

Those are pathetic comments. She may be short (you must only associate with amazonians) but an idiot she is not.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I wouldn't blame them.

"Calais style refugee camps" in Scotland what on earth are you talking about ?
  • Options

Fair play to sturgeon she is a strong and forceful leader and I personally respect the ballsy nature thatvshe approaches the things she wants

However

If she gets her wish, she would like to maintain open boarders with England and maintain the pound that too me seems slightly strange and somewhat unworkable, within the current frame work, and yet the biggest obstacle within that is that the decision will be made by people who have not been democratically elected to pass laws on day to day things that will effect others,

The currency thing is the biggest hurdle for Scotland. EU rules state that to be a member you need to have a central bank. So Scotland either needs to create one, or be part of someone else's. But as you say I can't see how that would work.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

However

The currency thing is the biggest hurdle for Scotland. EU rules state that to be a member you need to have a central bank. So Scotland either needs to create one, or be part of someone else's. But as you say I can't see how that would work.
    The currency thing was the biggest hurdle last time (and their half baked plan to retain the pound and share the BoE was woeful) but it pretty much answers itself this time round - Scotland would have to join the Euro. I think a majority of Scots would accept that if it meant staying in the EU rather than remaining in a UK dominated by an England which is increasingly right wing and politically incompatible with the main Scottish sentiment and has now dragged them out of the EU against the wishes of the vast majority of Scots.