Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicola Sturgeon

Comments

• Options
    Increasingly right wing??? I have no wings not left or right
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The English Left needs a leader like Sturgeon

Fan dappy dosy

• Options
    se9addick said:

seth plum said:

If the same number of Scots that voted in their referendum were alone tomorrow in a polling booth with a pencil and a voting slip, the vote for independence would be massive.
    I wouldn't blame them.
    This is my opinion by the way.

Would they vote for the Euro? Calais style refugee camps on their side of a 'hard' border with England? An end of the Barnett Formula? Would they vote to take on their share of the national debt? Things aren't as simple as you make out.
    "Calais style refugee camps" in Scotland what on earth are you talking about ?
    If Scotland seceded and joined the EU it would almost certainly have to join the Schengen zone. Free movement would allow migrants to get as far as the English/Scottish border unopposed but there is no way in hell any British government would allow them to cross it so the fences would go up. Some would get through, many would not and they would form camps. Do you see another scenario?
  • Options

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

If the same number of Scots that voted in their referendum were alone tomorrow in a polling booth with a pencil and a voting slip, the vote for independence would be massive.
    I wouldn't blame them.

Would they vote for the Euro? Calais style refugee camps on their side of a 'hard' border with England? An end of the Barnett Formula? Would they vote to take on their share of the national debt? Things aren't as simple as you make out.
    If Scotland seceded and joined the EU it would almost certainly have to join the Schengen zone. Free movement would allow migrants to get as far as the English/Scottish border unopposed but there is no way in hell any British government would allow them to cross it so the fences would go up. Some would get through, many would not and they would form camps. Do you see another scenario?
    Yes, I don't foresee thousands of refugees smuggling themselves to Dumfries. I see the Brexit camp are still scaremongering over immigration, why change a winning formula ?
  • Options
    Really i see the remain people scaremongering with the bullshit France to move the migrant camp from callais to the UK
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

I wouldn't blame them.

Yes, I don't foresee thousands of refugees smuggling themselves to Dumfries. I see the Brexit camp are still scaremongering over immigration, why change a winning formula ?
    If Scotland joined Schengen there would be no need to smuggle themselves in, they could just hop on a ferry without any checks. You say scaremongering, I say acknowledging reality.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

I wouldn't blame them.

If Scotland joined Schengen there would be no need to smuggle themselves in, they could just hop on a ferry without any checks. You say scaremongering, I say acknowledging reality.
    Ferry from where ?
  • Options
    Anywhere within the Schengen zone.
  • Options
    I thought the French had said that they would not be minded to allow us to have passport control in France rather than in uk and so the Calais camp would have to move.

No idea how realistic this is.

More realistic than a whole load of people looking to gat a boat up to Scotland and then come and sit in the Scotland - England border id have thought.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

Fair play to sturgeon she is a strong and forceful leader and I personally respect the ballsy nature thatvshe approaches the things she wants

However

If she gets her wish, she would like to maintain open boarders with England and maintain the pound that too me seems slightly strange and somewhat unworkable, within the current frame work, and yet the biggest obstacle within that is that the decision will be made by people who have not been democratically elected to pass laws on day to day things that will effect others,

It's a big tick as to why we don't need the EU In The guise it is today

Thankfully we had the foresight to opt to leave

The currency thing is the biggest hurdle for Scotland. EU rules state that to be a member you need to have a central bank. So Scotland either needs to create one, or be part of someone else's. But as you say I can't see how that would work.
    The currency thing was the biggest hurdle last time (and their half baked plan to retain the pound and share the BoE was woeful) but it pretty much answers itself this time round - Scotland would have to join the Euro. I think a majority of Scots would accept that if it meant staying in the EU rather than remaining in a UK dominated by an England which is increasingly right wing and politically incompatible with the main Scottish sentiment and has now dragged them out of the EU against the wishes of the vast majority of Scots.
    I think this is a correct reading of the mood in Scotland
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Refugees tend to be coming from countries to the south of Europe, Scotland is very much in the north of Europe. If you're, say, Syrian and your objective is England it makes very little sense to try and get to England by travelling the entirety of Europe to a schengen zone country to board a ferry (I think there might be some from Holland) to take you to the Scottish east coast and then traipse to the English border. You could just go to France and attempt to cross there.

This is the sort of nonsense immigration fear mongouring that Dave from Barnsley lapped up in the recent referendum, the Scots rejected these lies and they would again.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

Fair play to sturgeon she is a strong and forceful leader and I personally respect the ballsy nature thatvshe approaches the things she wants

However

If she gets her wish, she would like to maintain open boarders with England and maintain the pound that too me seems slightly strange and somewhat unworkable, within the current frame work, and yet the biggest obstacle within that is that the decision will be made by people who have not been democratically elected to pass laws on day to day things that will effect others,

It's a big tick as to why we don't need the EU In The guise it is today

Thankfully we had the foresight to opt to leave

The currency thing is the biggest hurdle for Scotland. EU rules state that to be a member you need to have a central bank. So Scotland either needs to create one, or be part of someone else's. But as you say I can't see how that would work.
    The currency thing was the biggest hurdle last time (and their half baked plan to retain the pound and share the BoE was woeful) but it pretty much answers itself this time round - Scotland would have to join the Euro. I think a majority of Scots would accept that if it meant staying in the EU rather than remaining in a UK dominated by an England which is increasingly right wing and politically incompatible with the main Scottish sentiment and has now dragged them out of the EU against the wishes of the vast majority of Scots.
    I agree. But to join the Euro and the EU Scotland first has to get it's own central bank. Or the EU and Scotland have to work some sort or work around which doesn't break their own rules. I can't see how Scotland can remain part of the UK and it's central bank, but stay in EU and have the Euro.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Refugees tend to be coming from countries to the south of Europe, Scotland is very much in the north of Europe. If you're, say, Syrian and your objective is England it makes very little sense to try and get to England by travelling the entirety of Europe to a schengen zone country to board a ferry (I think there might be some from Holland) to take you to the Scottish east coast and then traipse to the English border. You could just go to France and attempt to cross there.

This is the sort of nonsense immigration fear mongouring that Dave from Barnsley lapped up in the recent referendum, the Scots rejected these lies and they would again.
    Winter is coming!
  • Options
    The vikings are coming!
  • Options
    The Romans are coming
  • Options
    The Turks are coming
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I look forward to the day my Scottish brothers and sisters will stand side by side with their compatriots of the Nights Watch to sweep down through Cumberland and Westmorland to reinstate the Lords of winterfell
  • Options

I look forward to the day my Scottish brothers and sisters will stand side by side with their compatriots of the Nights Watch to sweep down through Cumberland and Westmorland to reinstate the Lords of winterfell

Dont worry the men of Kings London wont stand by and let them pass
  • Options

No, they'll be off joining the unsullied.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So how do you fly?
  • Options

So how do you fly?
    Methamphetamines?
  • Options
    Rocket feet
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So......Nicola Sturgeon.......would ya?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2016

I thought the French had said that they would not be minded to allow us to have passport control in France rather than in uk and so the Calais camp would have to move.

No idea how realistic this is.

More realistic than a whole load of people looking to gat a boat up to Scotland and then come and sit in the Scotland - England border id have thought.

I read that the current French foreign minister said that the agreement over Calais was between France & England (& not as an EC agreement) and that the current agreement would be respected. A different future French foreign minister or one from a different party may see things differently but currently a British exit from EC doesn't change that position.
  • Options
    Could be.

I had read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36626553

Which certainly isn't a final answer but rather more local French politicians making a local populist suggestion.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Sheffield United will come good

Now I know you're telling porkies.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Stop fishing for answers. Not a good catch but I'm sure some would deBAIT that. Wouldn't have her back at my Plaice or anywhere near my Rod.
  • Options

Stop fishing for answers. Not a good catch but I'm sure some would deBAIT that. Wouldn't have her back at my Plaice or anywhere near my Rod.
    So...........I'll put you down as a maybe?
  • Options
    An admittedly short lady, a shrimp, who has never the less been a good catch for her husband. He knows his plaice.

I'm not sure why the Scots are so keen on Bagpipes. I prefer a decent tune ah, yes.

Still would be good to see some photos of Salmon(d) back in the late 70s, bet he had a proper mullet.

Past my bed time again. Off for a kip.

Er, cod do with one more. Would ya? No.