Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hodgson resigns.

Comments

• Options
    Roy Strikes me as someone who has over thought this whole tournament.
    A worry guts of a man with little confidence in his limited ability.

With little to do for weeks,months even, at a time has allowed his ageing mind to constantly tinker with players, formations and tactics...and judging by his nails, no doubt fret about which is right and wrong. And in the end we get this sorry mess.

It takes a certain character to prosper in tournament football and Roy was nowhere near the mark.
  • Options
    I actually thought he resigned prior to the tournament, or refused to prepare the team and coach them anyway.
  • Options
    Its probably killed Neville's chance as a manager as well. if you cant defend a basic set piece move which everyone knew was coming you have no place in a coaching set up.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Roy Strikes me as someone who has over thought this whole tournament.
    A worry guts of a man with little confidence in his limited ability.

With little to do for weeks,months even, at a time has allowed his ageing mind to constantly tinker with players, formations and tactics...and judging by his nails, no doubt fret about which is right and wrong. And in the end we get this sorry mess.

It takes a certain character to prosper in tournament football and Roy was nowhere near the mark.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. It may have been different in his younger days! Maybe we do need a young fresh manager like Howe who won't fall into this trap!
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

It is down to shit coaching at all levels, it cannot be anything else, our record is shocking compared to every international team of our size

Whilst I agree the players that were out there tonight should have easily beaten Iceland. For me it's two things. Obviously the tactics were wrong but at the same time the players should know it isn't working and take it upon themselves to try something different. Rashford was the only one that did.

Second, it's a confidence thing. No other explanation for miscontrolling a simple ball or misplacing a 5 yard pass. It has to be mental.

It seems to be simple, get a manager in with sound tactics but above all the ability to actually inspire the players. You never got the impression the players enjoyed playing under Hodgson. I think the next one in also needs the balls to drop players like Rooney, he was shocking today and the captaincy needs to be stripped of him immediately.
    What the view on the Arsenal forum?
  • Options

Its probably killed Neville's chance as a manager as well. if you cant defend a basic set piece move which everyone knew was coming you have no place in a coaching set up.

Nah he was brilliant at Valencia...
  • Options
    Harry Redknapp for me, but the FA will probably stick with a safe pair of hands like Southgate and we will win bugger all as usual.
  • Options
    Why would anyone want it?
  • Options

It is down to shit coaching at all levels, it cannot be anything else, our record is shocking compared to every international team of our size

It can't only be down to that though, because i'd imagine a vast majority of the Wales team were brought up and coached at English clubs and they've just reached the quarters fairly easily.
  • Options

Harry Redknapp for me, but the FA will probably stick with a safe pair of hands like Southgate and we will win bugger all as usual.

This for me, though why anyone would consider this a 'safe' choice after years of failure is unique. Any other serious organisation would be digging up the carpets trying to find how we have so consistently underachieved for decades. But no, nailed on we will have another 'nice' England manager and we can bump this thread in two years as it all happens again. Pathetic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew will probably get it much to my disgust.
    Bojo and Pardew leading the country. What a win double.
  • Options
    The fact that Southgate is favourite and Pardew is up there shows there's something very wrong here. The FA is basically a dysfunctional organisation that needs to be overhauled from the bottom up. It won't be of course, because at the heart of what's wrong with the English game is the Premier League. The Icelandic players had a month together before the tournament. How long did our under-achieving multimillionaires get?

Dyche or Howe for me, but I bet it won't be them. I'd be happy with Allardyce or Warnock.

I also think if the "big name" players are crap, look lower down the leagues. It's what the likes of Iceland, Ireland and Wales all (have to) do, and they have all overachieved. Iceland have our only player at the Euros (and he undoubtedly put himself in the shop window). Wales have someone we released in their squad.
  • Options
    If it's Pardew I think that's football over for me, honestly.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pardew may do a great job. It is probably best to give the next manager a short contract, and extend if the signs are promising. That way we might hit on a good one at some point!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I think the problem stems from the English PL. We have players who believe their own hype, earn an absolute disgusting fortune, think they are playing in the best league in the world when really THEY are not. The PL might be the best league in the world BUT that is due to the skillful, intelligent, footballing players from other countries that play here. I've never rated Joe Hart and if I was manager I would have dropped him for yesterday's game. He makes too many silly errors and has the occasional piece of 'brilliance'.
    The next England manager needs to realise that just because someone is paid an obscene amount of money by their club its doesn't make them a world beater!! We are not as good as we think we are, and until we get a manager that understands that then we are screwed!!
  • Options

Why would anyone want it?

And this was part of my point the other day. People angry about the wages spent on the England manager when a part of it has to do with trying to attract anyone to take it on. Seriously if you are a top manager or even a promising manager why would you? It's the end of your career if you do. Everyone struggles to get the best out of these players, the media vilify you and the fans hate you.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I have never rated Joe Hart, but I had seen him have some good games this season. I think his strength is one on ones where he is up there with the best. Unfortunately, in other areas he isn't. My son's role models are Neur and Buffon. He has a Neur shirt, He wants a Buffon shirt (finding it hard to get one). He wouldn't wear a Hart one even though he supports England! That says it all!
  • Options
    Joe Hart has suffered from the same problem that David James used to have.

Against the likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona he was outstanding because he was constantly busy so always has to be aware of whats going on because he'll be called into actions at any moment (reckon against the likes of France / Germany we'd have seen that form because they'd have been constantly attacking us).

On the other hand when England / Man City dont have too much to do defensively thats where you see most of his mistakes because he loses concentration and gets complacent.

Sadly thats the fine line between being just another Goalkeeper and the legends like Buffon and Casillas
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You do make a good point. It isn't their library of great saves, but their ability to avoid mistakes that makes a great keeper. Obviously Buffon and Neur make great saves too, and Neur has taken the art of goalkeeping to a new level where he acts as an extra player sometimes. The sweeper keeper.
  • Options
    Big club syndrome with Hart. he is not the best GK, but as he plays for a big club and has a strong defense protecting him he gets in the side.
    plenty of better GK's at lesser clubs who actually save their teams points on a far more regular basis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You do make a good point. It isn't their library of great saves, but their ability to avoid mistakes that makes a great keeper. Obviously Buffon and Neur make great saves too, and Neur has taken the art of goalkeeping to a new level where he acts as an extra player sometimes. The sweeper keeper.

Agree. Buffon I wouldn't say necessarily makes outstanding saves all the time but he's constantly switched on and is so mentally strong. Similar with Neuer, I've seen him make some howlers but it's the ability to back yourself and remain confident afterwards. Hart (like many English players not just keepers) do not have that confidence.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Last night's failure was nothing to do with the individual technique of the players, it's mental thing. The Wales, N Ireland and Ireland players are worse than the England players (bar Bale, Ramsey, Williams and maybe Davis) but they all played to their potential or exceeded it.

It's as if the England players crumble under expectation, or the fear of failure?

We need someone who will pick a system and stick to it, and who can MENTALLY get the best out of the players
  • Options
    Pardew would have to arrange a year's worth of fixtures between August and December as he never wins games after then. Wenger would guarantee we finish in the top 4 but don't win anything
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Buffon made a great late save yesterday at 1-0. He anticipated where the player was going to put it, which made the save, going down to his right much easier than it was. I know Hart hasn't got that ability - It is a brain ability. Reaction is important but anticpation is also important for a keeper. It's a bit like a striker who sort of knows where he needs to be!

Neur's mistakes tend to come from his courage and adventure which has a net contribution to the side. He may be a modern day Sam Bartram!
  • Options

Last night's failure was nothing to do with the individual technique of the players, it's mental thing. The Wales, N Ireland and Ireland players are worse than the England players (bar Bale, Ramsey, Williams and maybe Davis) but they all played to their potential or exceeded it.

It's as if the England players crumble under expectation, or the fear of failure?

We need someone who will pick a system and stick to it, and who can MENTALLY get the best out of the players

And the irony is that in the build up the press and everyone else was saying that there was not much expectation and the pressure was off because they are on the whole young and inexperienced.
  • Options
    Obviously Roy had to go and he did the honourable thing of resigning before being sacked. He's just lucky it's no longer the age when he'd have got back to his office and found a loaded revolver on his desk.

It's a shame, though, that an articulate, intelligent man has failed so miserably. I fear that whoever replaces him will suffer the same fate, but one possible positive outcome of us leaving the EU could be less European players in our club sides, once the contracts of the current lot expire, meaning more chances for UK players. Who knows, even Scotland might get a decent team again.
  • Options
    He didn't display much intelligence in this tournament!
  • Options

Dr Steve Peters was employed to get the players minds confident and controlled. The Problem is Peters wrote the book the Inner chimp which tells everyone to shackled the inner 100 miles an hours Brain and use the calm rational brain. When i saw the lack of movement and passion from players that shows that theory doesn't work in football because
    The inner chimp needs to be in tandem with the calm part of the brain.
    fighting for Territory, showing Off,spunky and utter belief in the Cause.
    A band of Brothers with a strong Captain and tactics from a Manager that make sense. (Iceland and Wales Maybe)

On your Bike Steve Peters and order a tandem so you and uncle Roy can Peddle off.

England were Impotent, like a man who wooed all the local Girls;
    10 conquest on the way but when he gets the chance to bed Kelly Brook
    can't raise a smile.

• Options
    I thought they found their inner chimps pretty well!
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

It doesn't matter. Until people ask why the - what - 6 coaches since Venables in 96 have all failed dismally with the resources at their disposal, nothing will change

Our players having lots of ability but lack tactical awareness, lack intelligence and lack the character to play for England in big tournaments. They are the products of the U21 system and are coached by second rate international coaches at that level. Coaches who can't get a job in the league. By the time the players get to the England team it's too late.
    But some of them have day jobs at proper league clubs don't they? Why can they not learn tactical awareness there?