Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hodgson resigns.

Comments

• Options
    FA is rotten, from grassroots up there is just no decent system in place.

England in footballing terms are a hundred miles behind other international teams in playing style, management and set-up. Anyone else doing kids coaching will see that nothing has changed in 4 years, nothing. Everything is still really expensive, no real commitment to nurtuting talent and no rules in place to make games more about kids playing the right way, but to simply win.

My team has a kid at a prem club academy and is encouraged to simply be strong and be able to beat players with the ball. He is a striker. There is no focus on movement, or link up play, just be as direct as possible. Anyone small with a great passing game is up against it.

Reason why I think this is important is because at the same age the German, spanish, italian players are tuning themselves into tactics, how to use their size for their advantage, being technically astute and how to be coherent in a team.

Fast forward to adult football and the difference is sensational.

You can put the worlds best manager in charge, but at the end of the day they work with the players for a brief spell and the worlds best would only choose to work with a team possible of playing to their system. No world beater will go and manage England because they arent upto scratch, passion and desire are lacking to improve imo.
  • Options
    St Georges Park has some of the best facilities in the world with a huge pool of talented kids going into it....only to be then met by Aidy Bothroyd, Colin Cooper & Lee Carsley.

These youngsters are probably receiving better coaching at their respective clubs because the premier league can afford some of the best coaches in the world, but they get to the England setup and they are then coached by shite.
  • Options
    Fucking gutless from Hodgson if you ask me. You get all that money and you want to hide away from the press. Thank fuck you quit. Prick. All that respect I had for the fella beforehand went straight out the window.
  • Options
    Array or Fergie
  • Options
    What a waste of three tournaments. I can still remember that shocking negative display against Italy in 2012 where we played for penalties from the first minute. The warning signs were there then.
  • Options
    Hindsight you Cockwomble.

Anyone who knows Jack Shit about English Football knows
    you don't take players who are patently not match fit or carrying injuries.
    it has never worked ; Bryan Robson, Keegan, Brooking, ETC.

Picking Jack Wiltshere when he had played 100 odd minutes all season,
    was so crass. Danny Drinkwater who Roy may not have noticed played all season for the League champions and assisted so many goals for Vardy.
    then to compound this omission, he picks Henderson in front of Drinkwater as well !

his 7 matches in charge of England in Tournaments brought one win in the last minutes against wales.

You don't get much for 12 Million plus over 4 years.

There is no correlation between winning matches in easy qualifying
    and thinking on your feet in the pressure cooker of Tournaments.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

was so crass. Danny Drinkwater who Roy may not have noticed played all season for the League champions and assisted so many goals for Vardy.
    then to compound this omission, he picks Henderson in front of Drinkwater as well !

his 7 matches in charge of England in Tournaments brought one win in the last minutes against wales.

Wonder what the management of Iceland get? 10 euros off their next shopping trip.....
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Wonder what the management of Iceland get? 10 euros off their next shopping trip.....
    A few puffin carcasses and a box set of Bjork CDs
  • Options

St Georges Park has some of the best facilities in the world with a huge pool of talented kids going into it....only to be then met by Aidy Bothroyd, Colin Cooper & Lee Carsley.

These youngsters are probably receiving better coaching at their respective clubs because the premier league can afford some of the best coaches in the world, but they get to the England setup and they are then coached by shite.

Gaz I have banged the same drum since the coaching structure changed at u19, noel Blake was a real progressive and motivational coach Imo, I enjoyed having the opportunity to witness it from close hand at two sessions put on by my local fa and whilst jonjo was playing under him, he was not stifling nor old school he wasn't the most modern of mgrs or coaches in the Greater scheme but he was different from the others I had sessions under and had seen, I spoke to Trevor brooking about him at a charity auction and how he had impressed me with his views on coaching young players

Trevor couldnt have praised him more he spoke so highly of him

His replacement was aidy boothroyd someone I didn't want at charlton let alone in charge of the bigger picture where English young football is concerned, yet the fa felt he was a good choice, this tells you all you need to know

England and English football fans ate in general a knowledgeable bunch they are fair and over the last twenty years became the fans who are not expecting to win the tournaments but to get through qualification and through the group stage and have a go

Yet aidy boothroyd and Southgate are viewed the same by a vast % of fan, social media tells you that

Forget what people like pearce say about him and letting him reign, pearce himself was my favourite player I loved his fight passion and commitment. I loved his redemption but in all honesty he is as guilty of failure in an England shirt although his record was good for u21s but we never won anything

Right now we need a new lead in who and what we coach, what manuals what format of coaching we apply

The English fa is stifling our coaching

And people like Southgate would rather adapt a system regarded as successful into a more English suited style than understand and coach the way Coerver requires and stands for,

it's as if they say still we invented the Game jumpers for goal posts young boys in shorts muddy field smell of grass etc the fa coach our kids a way that has failed to win a single tournament in 50 yrs

It's about time they adapted to the ways of modern football
  • Options
    Just seen Uncle Roy on BBC News, says he's been 'forced' to make another statement .. whatever, it's a nonsense ramble .. he looks harassed, ill, senile and lost .. shame really
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Southgate gets the nod I can't see us qualifying for the next World Cup.
  • Options

Just seen Uncle Roy on BBC News, says he's been 'forced' to make another statement .. whatever, it's a nonsense ramble .. he looks harassed, ill, senile and lost .. shame really

Think it is disgusting that he took umbrage at having to come out and talk to the press after the prepared piss-weak excuse he read out last night. For the amount of coin he made he should sit there and answer every journos question and not moan about it. You may be hurting but you should at least have the decency to explain the mess of another pathetic finals competition.
  • Options
    Hmm. So his employers managed to undermine him through comments to the press in tournament?

And then his contract has ended, and he says he thinks someone else takes over is the best way forward, and then he is asked to turn up again after his contract has ended to speak about stuff that he has no basis from which to focus on.

While I agree his decisions have been very odd and he has always looked a bit weak in front of the media glare, probably weak in general, it's the FA that have the major issue here and don't let them distract from that.
  • Options

Oh he's like the rest... He'll qualify with ease (think we went undefeated for 2-years in the U21s) just when it came to the tournament we crumbled!!
  • Options

Oh he's like the rest... He'll qualify with ease (think we went undefeated for 2-years in the U21s) just when it came to the tournament we crumbled!!
    Especially if he's coaching the players on penalty shootouts...
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Hmm. So his employers managed to undermine him through comments to the press in tournament?

And then his contract has ended, and he says he thinks someone else takes over is the best way forward, and then he is asked to turn up again after his contract has ended to speak about stuff that he has no basis from which to focus on.

While I agree his decisions have been very odd and he has always looked a bit weak in front of the media glare, probably weak in general, it's the FA that have the major issue here and don't let them distract from that.

I think the FA did the right thing in asking him to go the press meeting. England football fans pay a shit load of money to follow England and to be mugged off with that excuse last night was pretty shameful. Don't care what his thoughts are for the future of England we want to know why England were so woeful in another finals competition, why he made the decisions he made in 4 games and only won one game. Does not change the result but at least make some time for those that do the miles and cough up thousands of pounds to watch utter dross like last night.
  • Options
    Hodgson's press conference was a disgrace - no real apology or admission of failure. He felt no need to be there and has gone down considerably in my estimation.
    As much as it pains me to say it our coaches simply lack the intelligence and nous of their foreign counterparts. Tactically we're undone time and time again - we need a decent foreign coach with knowledge of the English game with the likes of Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche being given some involvement.
    The biggest disaster would be appointing Alan Pardew.
  • Options
    I think a young Hodgson would have done a much better job than the one we got! He was a doddery old fool at the end and the press conference only highlighted the fact! I hope he enjoys spending his money. He wouldn't if he had any pride. Fortunately, the conference suggested that won't be a problem for him.
  • Options
    Southgate is being talked about as an interim manager

Great, another interim one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Southgate is being talked about as an interim manager

Great, another interim one

God help us if this prick takes charge. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.
  • Options

I think a young Hodgson would have done a much better job than the one we got! He was a doddery old fool at the end and the press conference only highlighted the fact! I hope he enjoys spending his money. He wouldn't if he had any pride. Fortunately, the conference suggested that won't be a problem for him.

I honestly don't know why they bothered with a press conference. The bloke stated he was going after the game - why do we need to hear from him again? If the FA were willing to pay him such a vast amount of money, then more fool them. Hodgson fucked up royally, just like most of the people before him, just like the next bloke will.

The whole thing is rotten to the core. Leicester won the league with the best team , rather than the best players. We always do something stupid at tournaments. Kane taking set pieces, Rooney going from a striker to a holding midfielder just so we could get him in the team. Wilshere ahead of Drinkwater - one player about 3 games the other had the season of his life and won the league. Rashford on fire at the end of the season, scores on his debut for England and then gets 20 mins worth of football.

Wankers
  • Options
    Combine an Interim manager with the experience of Southgate. FFS there must be better out there with the money the FA can offer. Pure gold. Pull your fingers out FA and hikack Guardiola before he get's started at Citeh!
  • Options
    Southgate taking over reminds me of when McClaren was appointed. Another FA kiss-arse, in awe of the players available to them. Bound to end in tears, and further embarrassment.

If the best English options are Southgate, Pardew, Shearer and Eddie Howe, then I can see no problem with hiring from abroad. Would take someone like Hiddink over any of those above.

Its one of the highest paid management jobs in international football and, regardless of Euro 16 performance, there will be no shortage of interest.

Roy's post match speech saying he was proud of the players, and they'd given their all was obviously pre-written for when we got knocked out by a larger reputation side (ie. France in the quarters)
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Southgate taking over reminds me of when McClaren was appointed. Another FA kiss-arse, in awe of the players available to them. Bound to end in tears, and further embarrassment.

If the best English options are Southgate, Pardew, Shearer and Eddie Howe, then I can see no problem with hiring from abroad. Would take someone like Hiddink over any of those above.

Its one of the highest paid management jobs in international football and, regardless of Euro 16 performance, there will be no shortage of interest.

Roy's post match speech saying he was proud of the players, and they'd given their all was obviously pre-written for when we got knocked out by a larger reputation side (ie. France in the quarters)

You make an interesting point about being in awe of the players, and it does make me think we need a massive ego with an abundance of confidence in the job to be honest. Someone who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread, and is prepared to go against the media and individual players because he's so confident that he's always right..

It may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, and I know egotism is a pretty shitty trait, but there is something to be said for having the mentality of "We're doing things my way, and that's why I'm cashing the cheque every month.".

In addition to confidence, I do think we need someone who has managed in different countries and sampled different styles of play. We must be the only team who has all their players in one league? That doesn't help the players adapt to different styles, and if the management isn't capable of adapting styles then we're stuck. (I know Hodgson has had a pretty good career in Europe, but I'm warning against the option of "Yet another prem manager")

Finally, grassroots football needs to change. Academies styles need to change. All the things that we say every two years after another disappointment, need to change. This means the FA needs to adapt too.

I said when the JPT cup was set to include U21 players that it would be bad for the English game, but unfortunately I can now see it being argued that it provides a good platform to blood-in English youth.. and that leads to the new league idea. I think a better option would be encouraging academies to adopt different training styles and perhaps preventing the likes of Chelsea accruing U21 talent and letting them stagnate.
  • Options
    Southgate has turned the job down apparently...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    They could at least have put the English flag on that graphic rather than a poor attempt at the British one.
  • Options

He's probably waiting to take over at Palace after Pardew gets the England job...
  • Options
    Revealed:
    Roy decides to go undercover to avoid the press.
  • Options

You know England must be shit when Gareth Southgate turns the job down