Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hodgson resigns.

Comments

• Options
    I've slept on it and it doesn't feel any better. Still the worst England performance I've ever seen.

I have no idea where the England football team goes from here
  • Options
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but to me that felt like a bit of deja vu next to Charlton matches last season.

Shit clueless manager not knowing what to do, bunch of players who should be better than what they are but can't control the ball and look like total strangers, takes off the player we have been screaming for to come off for a young bright player. Young player then looks like he is the only one who gives a shit and is more threatening than the whole team was in three minutes.

Bit more depressed today, no excitement for the tournament anymore, roll on next season and hopefully promotion at the first attempt.
  • Options

I've slept on it and it doesn't feel any better. Still the worst England performance I've ever seen.

I have no idea where the England football team goes from here

Same as they always do. Win all our World Cup qualifiers against pub teams. The hype then builds from the "experts" on radio, TV and the papers.

We go to the World Cup "nailed on" to do well, the FA release a statement saying "anything but the quarter finals will be seen as a failure"

The public buy into it, the fans buy into it and when it all comes crashing down we are the laughing stock of the footballing world.

Please feel free to use any of the above to describe the 2020 Euros :smile:
  • Options
    Hoddle or Redknapp would be my choice, but we all know It'll be Gareth Southgate cause he's another FA yes man
  • Options
    Same old same old. Most of us could have written the script for that last night. Bright start, they get one back, then go up, then we panic, can't break them down, we fall apart, get desperate, we bring on someone who most people think should have started, Wayne Rooney fails to deliver in another major tournament, scuffed chances at the end and we're out.
    I gave up watching it after 5 minutes into the second half, reasoning why put myself through it? Yelling at the TV, and frightening the cat.
    We have sufficient ability to do ok at tournaments, probably not enough to win most of them, but what we do lack is the mental toughness and determination to take hold of a game stay calm and do the opposition. Until we can overcome that, and build the attitude of fight for a win rather the misguided impression we have a right to a win, we might get somewhere.
  • Options
    Its got to be Hoddle for me. We played decent football under him.
    Cant see the FA going for him though after the fall out from last time around.
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter. The England manager job is akin to being the Charlton CEO. You can only work within whatever bizarre parameters the puppetmasters allow. Until they deal with the structural problems plaguing day to day football, it's all a continuous cycle of over-hyped expectations, abysmal failures and mass disappointment. And just like the markets, the few make a mint out of the whole sorry affair.

Demand better.
  • Options
    The worst thing about Hodgson is he got paid shedloads of cash to be so mediocre.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Was there a lot of 'over-hyped expectation'?

I think people are pretty much expecting England to fuck up at every major tournament now.
  • Options
    I think he got well over £4m - There are people serving long prison sentences that nicked much less than him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was there a lot of 'over-hyped expectation'?

I think people are pretty much expecting England to fuck up at every major tournament now.

I agree, spot on.

The World Cup I fully expected us to limp out in the Group stages, and wasn't disappointed. I think the media were quite blunt about our quality at the time.

This time I figured we'd make it out of the group, and then when we drew Iceland I guessed we'd get to the quarters just for France to do us over.

I think the only thing that gave optimism this year was that we looked to play pretty good stuff against Russia.. but by the third match (Slovakia) it was clear that:

(a) Our players aren't capable of the basics, at least not in that system or with that line-up;
    (b) We couldn't score in a Brothel, and that's something some of our players are pretty good at.. allegedly.

I was a bit disappointed last night, but I'd say I was more bemused than shocked or angry.
  • Options
    Didn't hoddle employ the services of a faith healer?

For which he was widely ridiculed.

Made s en glean ericssons glass toilet seem same in comparison. 'Ah look you can see the sweet corn very clearly'
  • Options
    Paddy Power ‏@paddypower 8m8 minutes ago
    England press conference coming up at 4pm, where ex-manager Roy Hodgson will be clutching at more straws than a masturbating scarecrow.
  • Options

England press conference coming up at 4pm, where ex-manager Roy Hodgson will be clutching at more straws than a masturbating scarecrow.

Ha, like that!

Sky saying that Roy won't be at the conference though.

• Options
    Roy Hodgson's resignation speech was a handy way to duck responsibility, to avoid answering questions from the BBC, ITV and the media about the terrible performance.

I'm surprised he didn't try to escape in a laundry basket
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Ha, like that!

Sky saying that Roy won't be at the conference though.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/10327327/roy-hodgson-declined-to-face-media-twice-on-tuesday-say-sky-sources
  • Options

The worst thing about Hodgson is he got paid shedloads of cash to be so mediocre.

FFS not this ridiculous stuff again.
  • Options

Roy Hodgson's resignation speech was a handy way to duck responsibility, to avoid answering questions from the BBC, ITV and the media about the terrible performance.

I'm surprised he didn't try to escape in a laundry basket

Such a sorry state. Unable to answer questions because it was THAT bad!

Don't think I've ever seen anyone in sport belittled as much as that.

He looked like a poor helpless little old man whose dignity hung him out to dry years ago.
  • Options
    Nice honest fellow Roy, but totally out of his depth. Shearer was obviously mad as hell last night, but it was sad to hear him telling it like it was. Hopefully £3 million plus a year should keep Roy smiling, I might apply.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Ridiculous? We seem to love paying over the odds for mediocrity in Britain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even this press conference is farcical.
  • Options
    Roy's gone down in my estimations since the defeat, not answering questions last night, then trying to play the "my contract is up, I shouldn't be here" card

You're not a minimum wage temp, you've been on £3.5m a year!
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Ridiculous? We seem to love paying over the odds for mediocrity in Britain.
    Can our FA afford it? Yes. Is it the richest FA in the world? Yes. Does it matter what the manager is paid? No. If he's paid 100m or 10k, if he doesn't do a good job he'll get sacked. If Hodgson was paid £30k a year would you say "Oh well at least we didn't pay him much so that's a positive"?
  • Options

Quotes from Sky...

"I don't know what I am doing here," says Hodgson. "I thought my statement yesterday was sufficient."

Martin Glenn is asked why he forced Roy to come, Hodgson interrupts: "No sorry I wasn't forced to come. I was anxious to make certain that no one in this room could accuse me of being worried or afraid to face the media."

Typical sensationalist questions asked by the media though, like he said he released a statement and believes any answers people need are there, he has no magic answer as to why we failed and why we have a history of failure. He then went on to explain that though he doesn't see any gain in him being here today, people close to him suggested he'd be seen as running away and as he has never shirked the media and press conferences before he felt it best to come, and used it as an opportunity to thank the media who have been fair to him over the last 4 years. I think he's been a decent person for the job, however he inherited a crap squad for Euro 2012, and was asked to rebuild afterwards. Obviously WC2014 was shocking, but our media as a whole big up our team far too much. Though the opponent was different, Spain went out at the same hurdle as us, and Holland didn't make it altogether. Unfortunately, as is often the case with England, we have to fail bigger, better and more spectacularly than the rest, and who better to lose to than the smallest nation to ever take part in a European Finals competition?
  • Options

Quotes from Sky...

"I don't know what I am doing here," says Hodgson. "I thought my statement yesterday was sufficient."

Martin Glenn is asked why he forced Roy to come, Hodgson interrupts: "No sorry I wasn't forced to come. I was anxious to make certain that no one in this room could accuse me of being worried or afraid to face the media."

Pathetic - simply pathetic. I'll tell you what I haven't heard from Roy yet - a proper apology. It was him that made the stupid decision to make 6 changes.
  • Options
    I knew he was a coward
  • Options

Quotes from Sky...

Pathetic - simply pathetic. I'll tell you what I haven't heard from Roy yet - a pwoper apology. It was him that made the stupid decision to make 6 changes.
    Fixed that for u.
  • Options
    "I don't know what I'm doing here"

Sums up his reign. He has never known.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Quotes from Sky...

Typical sensationalist questions asked by the media though, like he said he released a statement and believes any answers people need are there, he has no magic answer as to why we failed and why we have a history of failure. He then went on to explain that though he doesn't see any gain in him being here today, people close to him suggested he'd be seen as running away and as he has never shirked the media and press conferences before he felt it best to come, and used it as an opportunity to thank the media who have been fair to him over the last 4 years. I think he's been a decent person for the job, however he inherited a crap squad for Euro 2012, and was asked to rebuild afterwards. Obviously WC2014 was shocking, but our media as a whole big up our team far too much. Though the opponent was different, Spain went out at the same hurdle as us, and Holland didn't make it altogether. Unfortunately, as is often the case with England, we have to fail bigger, better and more spectacularly than the rest, and who better to lose to than the smallest nation to ever take part in a European Finals competition?
    His statement last night answered nothing, it thanked the players and said what a great bunch of lads they were. Rooney and Hart at least fronted up while Roy was hiding in the laundry basket.