Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, who should be next England manager and should he be English?

Comments

• Options
    I can see only one manager who might be persuaded and is good enough and that is Wenger. Of course, he'd be a fool to take it, but he might be getting fed up being abused as Arsenal manager so might fancy a spell of being abused as England manager.
  • Options
    Allardyce clearly of the English managers
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Why is everyone saying Hoddle? He's been out of the game for 15 or so years...I think the game has changed immensely in the last five years.

He speaks a lot of sense and knows the game well. Has a successful coaching set up and only got it wrong last time because of his weird views (outside of football) at the time.

Dark horse but reckon he'd do well.
  • Options

I can see only one manager who might be persuaded and is good enough and that is Wenger. Of course, he'd be a fool to take it, but he might be getting fed up being abused as Arsenal manager so might fancy a spell of being abused as England manager.

Probably the best chance to get Wenger is now, he could do the job part time for a year until his Arsenal contract finishes and then take it full time.

• Options
    would like to see someone like diego simeone - wouldn't be anyone hiding on the pitch then
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Could be worse, could be Steve Mclaren again

Man this fella infuriates me!! How is he anywhere near anything to do with football!
  • Options
    England player's swan about as if they are something special and when they get onto the pitch they try and emulate the best teams in the world by passing it along the back line and doing what Hoddle describes as "probing " the defence.

So called "lesser " teams like Wales, Ireland, Iceland etc get it. Well organised, know what they have to do individually and as a team, work very hard and with passion.

Much as I do not like the sight of big Sam's open mouth with a huge wad of gum on my screen, (did his mum never tell him to chew with his mouth shut?), I do think he is the best english candidate to cut through the crap and put a team out to win.

I think he would pick players because they can do a job and not because who they play for. For instance, I don't think he would have left Carroll at home. Not the best centre forward, but the best at what he does - wins the ball in the area and roughs up the centre halves.

I don't want an English team to probe a defence. I want to run them, batter them, defeat them.
  • Options
    Howe, He has a philosophy and a way of playing, this has been lacking since Hoddle in 98.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Man this fella infuriates me!! How is he anywhere near anything to do with football!
    To be fair, he does do a good 'Oh no!'.
  • Options
    I actually don't want it to be Howe. Not because of ability, but because he's a good, bright young manager and the job will quite likely ruin him.

If you were Howe, you'd quite likely want nothing to do with it.

If it goes to Southgate or Pardew, then the FA can fuck off.

I don't think Neville is good enough either, what has he done as a manager? But at least he'll have passion and the players will respect him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Genuinely can't think of a suitable candidate which leaves an unproven candidate. Eddie Howe?

Or they could go for Harry Redknapp seeing as nothing seems to surprise anymore.

But if it's Pardew then I think I'll be giving international football a wide berth for a few years which won't be such a bad thing when it clashes with our league games next season

Got to get away from this 'unproven' tag. It's a negative mindset that is also endemic within the FA. Eddie Howe is a progressive, articulate and intelligent coach/man manager. His team punches way above its weight whilst playing really attractive football. Yes, he had a blip at Burnley (so would many if they relocated there), but he has all the professional and personal attributes and can relate to the players in the team. Hodgson was like a grandad to them!!

Give him a chance any day above the drudgery of a Pulis or Allardyce, or before the sycophancy and monotony of a Southgate.
  • Options
    You always need a plan B and a plan C helps too.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

I get why Sky do this for some games (especially European games on BT that not everyone has access to) but why bother for a game that's live on terrestial tv.

How many people seriously sit there watching sky sports news so they can hear updates from that idiot, when the game is free to air over on another channel.
  • Options
    Hoddle for me too - mad as a box of frogs but a very good coach.
  • Options
    Reappoint Hodgson, I'm gonna start up a petition right now
  • Options
    Sol Campbell or are the FA too racist?
  • Options
    At the moment I don't actually give a shit
  • Options

How about the Chuckle brothers?

At least the passing should improve.

"From Me to You"
  • Options

How about the Chuckle brothers?

At least the passing should improve.

"From Me to You"
    Jeremy Corbin
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Part of the problem with England in the last 20+ years, is we always try to play like a team that is better than we are. The reason so many smaller footballing nations have given a good account of themselves is because they are a cohesive unit and they play to their strengths, they know their system and are disciplined in it's execution. We cannot play the type of football most of the continental clubs play, because we don't do that week in week out, so it's an impossible task to ask them to do it for a tournament every couple of years.

Whoever comes in needs to get England playing like a quality Premier League side and pick players for their correct positions in systems that they are completely comfortable with. If players are thinking about the system they play, then they are already at a disadvantage before they've even kicked a ball. They should know it so intimately, that they don't need to think about it. The basis of Premier League football is about high tempo and high pressure, and that needs to be the starting point, get these players doing for England, what they do for their clubs for 9 months of the year, and maybe we might start to see more success.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I think you are right. We need to understand what our strengths are and develop a game that plays to it. This can take time but copying other nations is ok for ideas but isn't always the answer in its entirity.
  • Options
    Alan Shearer's comments sum up my feelings:

"We are blinded by the Premier League. We think it's the best in the world for talent. It's not. We are totally reliant on foreign players and managers for excitement. We are not as good as we think we are."
  • Options
    Jose Riga. Twice.
  • Options

Alan Shearer's comments sum up my feelings:

"We are blinded by the Premier League. We think it's the best in the world for talent. It's not. We are totally reliant on foreign players and managers for excitement. We are not as good as we think we are."

Had to sound pessimistic, but that sums us up as a nation.. Not just with football
  • Options
    Sad reflection but there is just not a single stand-out English candidate close to being suitable.

Eddie Howe would be my best shout, but I fear what it would do to him at his age.

The Charlton fan in my would rather Curbs than some of the other names banded around.

I think we will go foreign again
  • Options
    Would always prefer an English manager but we don't have anyone good enough. Really don't think Howe is suitable given he has had just 1 year of top flight football. I think personally it will be either Southgate or Redknapp but hope it goes to someone more proven, if anyone even wants it.
    Wouldn't mind Hiddink to be honest, really cannot think of anyone else, possibly Pellegrini.
  • Options

Would always prefer an English manager but we don't have anyone good enough. Really don't think Howe is suitable given he has had just 1 year of top flight football. I think personally it will be either Southgate or Redknapp but hope it goes to someone more proven, if anyone even wants it.
    Wouldn't mind Hiddink to be honest, really cannot think of anyone else, possibly Pellegrini.

Hiddink would be a good shout, he went into Chelsea and sorted them out
  • Options
    Boris Johnson. He ain't got enough to do.
  • Options
    Dont see us going foreign as reckon the FA dont want a repeat of the bust ups they had with Capello.

I reckon they'll go for Southgate when they should be going for Dyche or Howe... Its going to be an exact replica of when they chose Steve McClaren over Alan Curbishley (i.e. They went for someone already within the setup rather than be bold).

Yes you can say that Dyche / Howe arent really experienced and havent really dealt with big names before but we've always taken the "experienced" approach and how much have we won with the experienced choices.

Glenn Hoddle certainly wasnt and he didnt do too badly

Yes I know he'd been Player / Manager at Swindon and Chelsea but at the time had done nothing with either
  • Options
    He'll be out of a Euro job before too long .. Nigel Farage is just the man ((:>)