Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, who should be next England manager and should he be English?

Comments

• Options
    Wenger.
  • Options
    I think the main problem that England will have attracting a top European manager is the new guy wanting a to see a massive overhaul in the entire set up and the FA not thinking it's needed.

I also believe that the FA are too vocal with the manager with regards to who the sponsors want to see in the squad.
  • Options

Rather than focus on the manager - the biggest failure over the years must be that of the people who pick the manager. Curbs gave an account of what a farce the process was in respect to him in his book.

It really was a farce. I read Allardyce's autobiography last month and he described the whole process exactly as Curbs did in Valley of Dreams. The FA treated it as if it was a top secret MI-6 mission, only to make the crappiest decision ever of appointing Steve McClaren after so much trouble they'd gone through. Absolutely laughable.
    To be fair McClaren is only a terrible appointment in retrospect.

Successful coach at Man U, reasonable manager at Boro (where he has some success in Europe), existing No 2 to Sven, it wasn't an inspiring choice but at the time a reasonably "sensible" one
  • Options
    Wenger .. great manager .. 10 years ago ! .. a man who has always seemed reluctant to play Englishmen in his team, and therefore seems to think that Englishmen do not make particularly good footballers .. a man who has spent lots of money on complete failures ... a man who is well over 60 years old and seems to my eyes to be as senile and as bad tempered as Uncle Roy .. a man who's teams more and more seem to collapse when under pressure .. if 'Wenger' is the answer, I would like to know what was the question ..

has anyone mentioned Ranieri ? .. a manager who gets the best out of players who, rightly or wrongly, are not perceived to be 'world beating talents'
  • Options
    He didn't with Greece.
    Klinsmann?
  • Options
    Berti Vogts - worked wonders for Scottish football.
  • Options
    Klinsmann into 13/2 fav
  • Options
    Dear Member,

Our defeat to Iceland and exit from Euro 2016 was obviously a bitter disappointment to us all.

The performance was nowhere near the standards required in the knockout stage of a major tournament and far below the level we aspire to for England. It was a huge let down to the many thousands of fans who followed the team so passionately and loyally - not just in France but through the qualifying campaign as well.

You will have all seen Roy Hodgson's decision to step down from his role along with the other members of his coaching staff. It is the right decision and we support it. Clearly we need to change to improve if we are going to achieve our ambitions in the years ahead.

As I say, what has stood out has been the magnificent support given to us from the stands. At every single match, England fans were incredible and never stopped singing.

In Marseille, you came through an incredibly difficult situation with great dignity. In Saint-Etienne, the Mayor of the town was amazed by the backing you gave. It was no different in Nice and then in Lens alongside the Welsh fans, you created a celebratory atmosphere befitting of a special fixture between Home Nations. Everywhere we have played, the reaction has been the same.

Our young squad will better for the experience and the passionate support you have given them will encourage them to want to do better in future tournaments.

Rest assured, from my side we will consider everything that has gone into this tournament and ensure we learn the lessons. Work is already underway with Dan Ashworth, myself and David Gill to ensure we manage the process of appointing a new England manager. These are not easy decisions but we will take the appropriate time to get it right.

I am confident that our investment in Coach Education and Sports Psychology in the National Football Centre at St. George’s Park which we started two years ago will bear fruit in the coming years and the success of our development teams gives me confidence that this will happen.

Of course, I appreciate nothing I can say about the future can make up for the hurt we are currently feeling, but I felt it important to say ‘thank you’ and stress we will never take you for granted.

Martin Glenn
    FA CEO

Read more at https://englandsupporters.thefa.com/b/news/archive/2016/06/29/letter-from-martin-glenn-to-all-euro-2016-england-fans#eglhxegtSf4fHPpK.99
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Dear Member,

The performance was nowhere near the standards required in the knockout stage of a major tournament and far below the level we aspire to for England. It was a huge let down to the many thousands of fans who followed the team so passionately and loyally - not just in France but through the qualifying campaign as well.

Maybe expectations need to be adjusted a little. We are not Germany, Spain or Italy who have a relatively rich past in European and World Cup competitions, we are a team that has won the World Cup once, against the odds, 50 years ago. It cannot just be bad luck or coincidence that we consistently find ourselves underachieving and indeed failing.

It's time for the FA to realise that we aren't as good as they think we are. Sure we have arguably one of the best football league competitions in the world, but it's a fact that the Premier League is enriched due to the vast array of international players that the clubs utilise. It's been mooted for many years that the Premier League actually holds back development of English players, and as time goes by, it gets harder to argue against that point as it seems that we are getting worse.

I'm fed up with seeing these post postmortems by the suits at the FA because nothing ever changes, they talk a good story but successive heads of the FA have failed to improve the situation. In my opinion, they now either have to take drastic action in a bid to at least try to improve the way we bring through and develop our players, or they have to accept that this, in fact, is as good as it gets.
  • Options
    We might not be that great, but we shouldn't be getting beat by Iceland ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sure we have arguably one of the best football league competitions in the world, but it's a fact that the Premier League is enriched due to the vast array of international players that the clubs utilise.

We have the highest profile, most watched, and exciting football league competitions in the world - but not the best in terms of footballing or coaching talent.

We need a top quality coach first and foremost - not a figurehead or a 'safe' pair of hands, and I couldn't care less what nationality he may be.
  • Options

Dear Member,

Maybe expectations need to be adjusted a little. We are not Germany, Spain or Italy who have a relatively rich past in European and World Cup competitions, we are a team that has won the World Cup once, against the odds, 50 years ago. It cannot just be bad luck or coincidence that we consistently find ourselves underachieving and indeed failing.

It's time for the FA to realise that we aren't as good as they think we are. Sure we have arguably one of the best football league competitions in the world, but it's a fact that the Premier League is enriched due to the vast array of international players that the clubs utilise. It's been mooted for many years that the Premier League actually holds back development of English players, and as time goes by, it gets harder to argue against that point as it seems that we are getting worse.

I'm fed up with seeing these post postmortems by the suits at the FA because nothing ever changes, they talk a good story but successive heads of the FA have failed to improve the situation. In my opinion, they now either have to take drastic action in a bid to at least try to improve the way we bring through and develop our players, or they have to accept that this, in fact, is as good as it gets.
    Which will be followed up by a similar statement in 2, 4 and 6 years time
  • Options
    "Clearly we need to change to improve if we are going to achieve our ambitions in the years ahead"

Does he mean simply changing the manager or changing the entire set up of grass roots football?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The thing is, we keep on going round in circles on this one.

In the last twenty years, we have tried every kind of manager that you can think of:

1) Young English (Hoddle)

2) Legendary Player (Keegan)

3) Relaxed Foreigner (Erickson)

4) Respected Coach (McClaren)

5) Hard as Nails Italian (Cappello)

6) Experienced English manager (Hodgson)

In one way or another they have all fallen short, so maybe we are looking it the wrong way?

Why don't we focus more on why we keep producing players that can't perform at the highest level? Our players aren't good enough - it is plain to see.

Would Mourinho or Simeone or Conte be able to win the Euro's with that squad?

Hand on heart I honestly don't think that they would.
  • Options
    Our cricket ha improved under Trevor Bayliss (Australian)
    Our rugby union team looked very good under Eddie Jones (Australian)
    Wayne Bennett (Australian) is now in charge of the England rugby league team.

There's a pattern emerging here, so let's appoint every Charlton fan's least favourite player, Kevin Muscat.
  • Options
    Got to be a German Klinsmann or Klopp, as reliable as Bosch! The stream of very good British coaches right now is near non existent, Eddie Howe maybe one for the future.
  • Options
    I'd go for Big Sam or Stevie Bruce
  • Options
    Beyond caring
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Dear Member,

Our defeat to Iceland and exit from Euro 2016 was obviously a bitter disappointment to us all.

You will have all seen Roy Hodgson's decision to step down from his role along with the other members of his coaching staff. It is the right decision and we support it. Clearly we need to change to improve if we are going to achieve our ambitions in the years ahead.

As I say, what has stood out has been the magnificent support given to us from the stands. At every single match, England fans were incredible and never stopped singing.

In Marseille, you came through an incredibly difficult situation with great dignity. In Saint-Etienne, the Mayor of the town was amazed by the backing you gave. It was no different in Nice and then in Lens alongside the Welsh fans, you created a celebratory atmosphere befitting of a special fixture between Home Nations. Everywhere we have played, the reaction has been the same.

Our young squad will better for the experience and the passionate support you have given them will encourage them to want to do better in future tournaments.

Rest assured, from my side we will consider everything that has gone into this tournament and ensure we learn the lessons. Work is already underway with Dan Ashworth, myself and David Gill to ensure we manage the process of appointing a new England manager. These are not easy decisions but we will take the appropriate time to get it right.

I am confident that our investment in Coach Education and Sports Psychology in the National Football Centre at St. George’s Park which we started two years ago will bear fruit in the coming years and the success of our development teams gives me confidence that this will happen.

Of course, I appreciate nothing I can say about the future can make up for the hurt we are currently feeling, but I felt it important to say ‘thank you’ and stress we will never take you for granted.

Martin Glenn
    FA CEO

Read more at https://englandsupporters.thefa.com/b/news/archive/2016/06/29/letter-from-martin-glenn-to-all-euro-2016-england-fans#eglhxegtSf4fHPpK.99

This letter could have been sent every 2 years going back to 1998! That in itself speaks volumes about the FA. They clearly can't create the right conditions and appoint the right manager. What they need to do is find somebody who can - give them a decent budget and power (this will also make it easier to deal with conflicting interests from the Premier League as the FA will have relinquished the power to lick its backside) and let them sort out the whole problem. That includes deciding the way forwards and improving grass roots football/coaching and appointing the next and future England managers. For me that is a role far more important than the England manager. I'd create it and give it to Glenn Hoddle. Maybe a couple of people if they could work together like Hoddle and Klinsmann.

You would do this if you genuinely cared and put English football above your own motivations. The FA has to understand that they are the problem. If it is about making money, they are doing a great job, but it isn't!
  • Options
    There is no manager in the world that will guarantee us a quarter/semi-final spot. I'd have Steve Brown as England manager, and hire the world's best psychologists to sort their heads out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Failing that, Colin Wanker.
  • Options
    There really isn't a standout English manager. No point appointing someone not up to it for the sake of it. If we had to go English I can't see past Hoddle, who did a decent job.

I'd go for Bilic. Fantastic season last year and did exceptionally well with Croatia. And kind of honorary English...
  • Options
    One of the problems is that managing a national side is different from managing a club. You have to build a squad when you manage a club, train them every week etc... A national team manager has to assess the best players, work out how he wants them to play and manage them in training and games once in a blue moon. Somebody who is good at one job may not be good at another. The safest appointment is to pick an international manager who has been successful rather than a club manager. Chris Coleman wouldn't be a bad call lol!
  • Options
    Would Harry be able to get the best out of the players? He always seemed to be a good man manager
  • Options
    We're going to lose anyway and he'd be hilarious.

All for it!!
  • Options
    You see ze thing is when the seagulls are following the trawler...ah fuck it kick em where it hurts lads and stop pissing about.
  • Options
    Absolutely 100% has to be big Sam.

Squad needs discipline and control.

The players are out of sorts and we are all over the place and a lot of them are probably up there own assholes which really doesn't help.

It will be a storm and a clash as the egos need a good bashing but...

There is no perfect appointment or 100% right person for the job.

That will be at least the closest thing to it though.

Will be very important for the bigger games.

The England managers job, although a very well paid one...is one f*cked up mess of a job.

• Options
    Sam Allardyce
  • Options
    Pullis or Allardyce part-time