Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, who should be next England manager and should he be English?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    This idea that the manager has to be English is a bit nuts it's like the quota system in the fire brigade and police i.e. so many women, ethnic minorities etc. just employ the person who is most suitable would be my preferred option.

Look at the potential English candidates:

Pardew - Big time Charlie only manages with a cheque book and is vastly overrated...no thanks
    Sam Alladyce: Has the experience at club level, gets the best from players, doesn't play favourites but can he manage at International level?
    Hoddle: well would have the players respect but has been out of management for years
    Howe: Too soon for this young manager lets see what he achieves next year if he takes Bournemouth forward then maybe
    Dyche: Same as Eddie Howe for me

So who's it to be? I would like to see Bilic almost an honorary Englishman, knows the game inside out and would instil the required discipline and dare I say passion.
  • Options

Wales are a small country - they aren't be expected to qualify. They wouldn't have done it without Bale, but Coleman deserves massive credit. I don't think any of us would have had the bloke down as the fantastic manager he has been based on his club management performance. International football is different. I would like to see the difference in salaries in 'what am I doing here?' and Coleman's. It isn't only England's poor performance that has embaressed Hodgson, but Coleman's performance highlights what a rubbish manager he has been as it removes some of the stock excuses. I am still waiting for the thief's - because that is what Hodgson indirectly is, apology!

Wales are a small country, they have been brilliant and I hope that they win it.

However my main point is that if we are looking for blueprints, then we are probably better off looking at the French/German models.

Both of these consistently perform well in tournaments, reaching the latter stages - what is stopping us doing the same?

Our PL is of a higher standard and more successful than either the Bundesliga or Ligue One, yet we are miles behind internationally, and have been for some time.

Something, somewhere is not right.
    We are always looking at blueprints - maybe picking a manager comes from the gut and if you make a mistake and the bloke fails miserably, you don't keep giving him another go. Maybe you don't keep looking elsewhere and make your own decisions. For me, a big reason, we are not sitting where Wales are now is that the idiot Hodgson failed to build on momentum we found in the second half against Wales and made too many needless changes. I said so and was outraged at such a stupid decision before the match. He made a stupid decision and now it is perfectly right he is judged on it. He deserves to be put in the stocks and have rotten eggs and tomatoes thrown at him all day. Fortunately for him, we don't do that anymore, but if the FA charged decent money for the pleasure, they might have got back a big chunk of the money they wasted on him.
    I don't disagree with you on Hodgsons decisions, you are right in that he proved to be hopelessly out of his depth.

However are we sure that it is the manager at fault every time here?

Since 1966 we have failed to reach a major final, whilst every other major European nation has reached at least four!!

Surely that tells you that it has to be something to do with the quality of player we are producing? Or are we to believe that we have just kept picking the wrong manager?

Are you suggesting we are a major European nation?

We get this 'tag' because we won the world cup ONCE, on home soil with a half decent team.

In all honesty we've been nowhere near that level since.
    The Italys and Germanys are on a different planet to us and we should never be classed in the same category.

Major european nation?? No better than Sweden or Denmark IMO.
    I think that you are confusing the performance of our national team, with our status as a footballing nation.

Around 25% of the players at the Euro's have come from the Premier League.

The Premier League is (by miles), the most successful and profitable league in the world.

In the list of the top ten richest clubs in the world SIX of them are from England.

We have four fully professional leagues - more than any other country.

We have more than 100 fully professional clubs.

There are over two millions amateur players in the UK.

So yes we are a major footballing nation, however there is clearly a massive disparity between the success of football in this country (and the product that we sell), and the performance of our national side.

• Options

Wales are a small country - they aren't be expected to qualify. They wouldn't have done it without Bale, but Coleman deserves massive credit. I don't think any of us would have had the bloke down as the fantastic manager he has been based on his club management performance. International football is different. I would like to see the difference in salaries in 'what am I doing here?' and Coleman's. It isn't only England's poor performance that has embaressed Hodgson, but Coleman's performance highlights what a rubbish manager he has been as it removes some of the stock excuses. I am still waiting for the thief's - because that is what Hodgson indirectly is, apology!

Wales are a small country, they have been brilliant and I hope that they win it.

However my main point is that if we are looking for blueprints, then we are probably better off looking at the French/German models.

Both of these consistently perform well in tournaments, reaching the latter stages - what is stopping us doing the same?

Our PL is of a higher standard and more successful than either the Bundesliga or Ligue One, yet we are miles behind internationally, and have been for some time.

Something, somewhere is not right.
    We are always looking at blueprints - maybe picking a manager comes from the gut and if you make a mistake and the bloke fails miserably, you don't keep giving him another go. Maybe you don't keep looking elsewhere and make your own decisions. For me, a big reason, we are not sitting where Wales are now is that the idiot Hodgson failed to build on momentum we found in the second half against Wales and made too many needless changes. I said so and was outraged at such a stupid decision before the match. He made a stupid decision and now it is perfectly right he is judged on it. He deserves to be put in the stocks and have rotten eggs and tomatoes thrown at him all day. Fortunately for him, we don't do that anymore, but if the FA charged decent money for the pleasure, they might have got back a big chunk of the money they wasted on him.
    I don't disagree with you on Hodgsons decisions, you are right in that he proved to be hopelessly out of his depth.

However are we sure that it is the manager at fault every time here?

Since 1966 we have failed to reach a major final, whilst every other major European nation has reached at least four!!

Surely that tells you that it has to be something to do with the quality of player we are producing? Or are we to believe that we have just kept picking the wrong manager?

Are you suggesting we are a major European nation?

We get this 'tag' because we won the world cup ONCE, on home soil with a half decent team.

In all honesty we've been nowhere near that level since.
    The Italys and Germanys are on a different planet to us and we should never be classed in the same category.

Major european nation?? No better than Sweden or Denmark IMO.
    I think that you are confusing the performance of our national team, with our status as a footballing nation.

Around 25% of the players at the Euro's have come from the Premier League.

The Premier League is (by miles), the most successful and profitable league in the world.

In the list of the top ten richest clubs in the world SIX of them are from England.

We have four fully professional leagues - more than any other country.

We have more than 100 fully professional clubs.

There are over two millions amateur players in the UK.

So yes we are a major footballing nation, however there is clearly a massive disparity between the success of football in this country (and the product that we sell), and the performance of our national side.

There's logic there, but we are still shite and have ben since we fluked the 1966 Word Cup, with the very rare "Wales like' exception. Boring and inefficient - very little of which was caused by the various Managers

• Options
    My main worry, is that not only are we shite, but we are getting shitter!

Since the days of Sven and two consecutive WC 1/4 finals (which were deemed a failure), we seem to be getting worse!

With a foundation like I have listed above, how have we managed to make ourself so bad!
  • Options
    Allardyce is the stand out candidate for the job, no question. I'd love to see him in charge.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/07/roberto-mancini-england-manager-harry-redknapp

Mancio linked. Would have him in a heartbeat. What he did at both Inter and City, turning them into winners, was more impressive than he was given credit for, particularly at City. He won a title with Joleon Lescott at CB and Gareth Barry in midfield.

I don't see any Englishman or British manager even anywhere near Hiddink, Mancini, or dare I dream, Biesla. It would be nice if they had an English assistant by their side, and Hiddink has said he'd want to do it like that, but the question is, who?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/07/roberto-mancini-england-manager-harry-redknapp

Mancio linked. Would have him in a heartbeat. What he did at both Inter and City, turning them into winners, was more impressive than he was given credit for, particularly at City. He won a title with Joleon Lescott at CB and Gareth Barry in midfield.

I don't see any Englishman or British manager even anywhere near Hiddink, Mancini, or dare I dream, Biesla. It would be nice if they had an English assistant by their side, and Hiddink has said he'd want to do it like that, but the question is, who?

Mancini world be a good choice.
  • Options
    I'm coming round to the idea of big Sam more and more.

Just tired of gutless performances really, and Sam wouldn't stand for that.
  • Options
    It has to be Big Sam, I feel if his name was Alladycinio he'd of had the pick of the top clubs ages ago.
  • Options
    maybe we should see what big Sam can do
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Clattenburg - he has now taken his team to the final.