Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, who should be next England manager and should he be English?

Comments

• Options
    Should never have got rid of vennables, imagine if he had stayed on.
  • Options
    First thing to do is half the salary - let's see who really wants the job for the right reasons to start with and then go from there.

Has to be English for me though. BUT if that's not going to happen then someone like Billic.
  • Options

Why don't we focus more on why we keep producing players that can't perform at the highest level? Our players aren't good enough - it is plain to see.

And yet Wales, whose team comes almost entirely from our leagues and academies, are the highest scoring team so far...

Has to be Alladyce for me. He's obsessed with detailed tactics and makes a team better than the sum of their parts. Even if he is a bit of a dick.
  • Options
    Getting England to progress far in a tournament is what needs sorting out. Although alladyce doesn't play attractive football, he could get England disciplined and organised in order to achieve this. Qualifying alone is too low a target for our recent England managers. Some people seem to think England are on a footballing level with the likes of Italy, Spain, France, Germany, when we are light years behind. The next manager though, has to do something to get us closer to their level.
  • Options
    The manager probably has to be a man at this stage.

This shouldnt be a given in the long term.
  • Options
    As an interim manager I would like to see someone with a lot to say for themselves about their view of England and who should put a sock in it after they have cocked it up as well : someone like Martin Samuel or Neil Ashton of the Mail .1 game each and then told to do one .
  • Options
    Who gives a toss? Whichever poor bugger gets the job he will be hamstrung by the Old Tarts at the FA and the foreign managers and owners of the over-hyped Premier League who also couldn't give a toss. Even though we are now out of the EU circus they will carry on importing foreign 'super stars' to the detriment of the game; result? We end up with a bunch of international players who can't hack serious competitions. As for the next World Cup? Same shit, different players. So bloody boring and predictable. Cannot understand the number of fans who travel thousands of miles and pay fortunes to watch crap - every time. Wake up and smell the coffee guys!!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    When you look at that 1st half performance by France, it shows how inept Roy's tactics were and how far behind the top teams England players now are.

Give it to somebody who can organise and galvanise the team, big Sam for me or at least somebody who is currently managing, not Hoddle please.
  • Options
    The truth is that non of us know who would be best for the job. Nor do the FA. Create a panel of people more likely to know and let them get on with it!
  • Options
    France leading 5. 1 against Iceland Hodgson you are a fuckin disgrace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

France leading 5. 1 against Iceland Hodgson you are a fuckin disgrace

Yeah, but we softened them up!
  • Options
    Give it to Di Canio, Bilic, Cantona, Gazza and Freund, joint head coaches
  • Options
    We're a tier 2 international team. Get a Championship manager and put the players up in 2nd tier hotels, reality check is needed.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about Big Sam although he was one big thing in his favour. He wouldn't have a problem leaving out big names if they didn't work.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Why don't we focus more on why we keep producing players that can't perform at the highest level? Our players aren't good enough - it is plain to see.

And yet Wales, whose team comes almost entirely from our leagues and academies, are the highest scoring team so far...

Has to be Alladyce for me. He's obsessed with detailed tactics and makes a team better than the sum of their parts. Even if he is a bit of a dick.
    Wales have been brilliant, but you should also remember that this is the first time that they have qualified for 58 years, so perhaps they have some faults to correct as well!!

Look at France tonight, they produce players that were able to simply tear Iceland apart - Griessman, Pogba, Payet and Giroud.

We look pedestrian and amateur in comparison.

Look at Giroud's performance compared to Harry Kane, he bullied and battered the Icelander's - he was going to dominate them no matter what - and he did.
  • Options
    Wales are a small country - they aren't be expected to qualify. They wouldn't have done it without Bale, but Coleman deserves massive credit. I don't think any of us would have had the bloke down as the fantastic manager he has been based on his club management performance. International football is different. I would like to see the difference in salaries in 'what am I doing here?' and Coleman's. It isn't only England's poor performance that has embaressed Hodgson, but Coleman's performance highlights what a rubbish manager he has been as it removes some of the stock excuses. I am still waiting for the thief's - because that is what Hodgson indirectly is, apology!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Wales are a small country - they aren't be expected to qualify. They wouldn't have done it without Bale, but Coleman deserves massive credit. I don't think any of us would have had the bloke down as the fantastic manager he has been based on his club management performance. International football is different. I would like to see the difference in salaries in 'what am I doing here?' and Coleman's. It isn't only England's poor performance that has embaressed Hodgson, but Coleman's performance highlights what a rubbish manager he has been as it removes some of the stock excuses. I am still waiting for the thief's - because that is what Hodgson indirectly is, apology!

Hodgson €5m Coleman €260k.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/highest-paid-managers-euro-2016-11088205

Look at the difference between Low, Del Bosqe and Hodgson. 2 of whom have won the World Cup and one that can't beat, Iceland and Costa Rica.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling, 21, will not walk out on England despite being made a 'scapegoat' for the team's early exit from Euro 2016. (Mirror)

Cheers Raheem - feel much better about things now. Phew. I really think we could go on and win the World Cup now.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Hodgson €5m Coleman €260k.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/highest-paid-managers-euro-2016-11088205

Look at the difference between Low, Del Bosqe and Hodgson. 2 of whom have won the World Cup and one that can't beat, Iceland and Costa Rica.
    And the bloke has showed no contrition or shame! There hasn't been even a sniff of an apology to fans despite abject failures in three consecutive tournaments - he probably had his mind on how he was going to spend the money he has been paid for being a complete and utter failure.
  • Options

Wales are a small country, they have been brilliant and I hope that they win it.

However my main point is that if we are looking for blueprints, then we are probably better off looking at the French/German models.

Both of these consistently perform well in tournaments, reaching the latter stages - what is stopping us doing the same?

Our PL is of a higher standard and more successful than either the Bundesliga or Ligue One, yet we are miles behind internationally, and have been for some time.

Something, somewhere is not right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just want someone in who picks players and plays them in their best positions and that are in form. Players like Rooney should either be played upfront or not at all and this is what did for Hodgson. Wilshere may have played well in some of the qualifiers but does that give you a pass to the finals if you have not played most of the season? Defoe must have wondered what he did wrong to score as many goals for Sunderland who struggled to stay up this season and not get picked for the national team. Just watched Hodgsons final appearance with the press and he says we lost 1 game because we played badly. If you count having the majority of possession in all games then that is pretty stupid. And you're getting 4 million quid a year for this tactical nous? Don't see the problem with Southgate that some people have. And as someone stated earlier why are we paying an international coach so much?
  • Options
    Should have been Harry, should be Harry
  • Options

Hill, Styles or Monk?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Wales are a small country, they have been brilliant and I hope that they win it.

However my main point is that if we are looking for blueprints, then we are probably better off looking at the French/German models.

Both of these consistently perform well in tournaments, reaching the latter stages - what is stopping us doing the same?

Our PL is of a higher standard and more successful than either the Bundesliga or Ligue One, yet we are miles behind internationally, and have been for some time.

We are always looking at blueprints - maybe picking a manager comes from the gut and if you make a mistake and the bloke fails miserably, you don't keep giving him another go. Maybe you don't keep looking elsewhere and make your own decisions. For me, a big reason, we are not sitting where Wales are now is that the idiot Hodgson failed to build on momentum we found in the second half against Wales and made too many needless changes. I said so and was outraged at such a stupid decision before the match. He made a stupid decision and now it is perfectly right he is judged on it. He deserves to be put in the stocks and have rotten eggs and tomatoes thrown at him all day. Fortunately for him, we don't do that anymore, but if the FA charged decent money for the pleasure, they might have got back a big chunk of the money they wasted on him.
  • Options

Hill, Styles or Monk?
    Windsor
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Leuth said:

Hill, Styles or Monk?
    Windsor
    Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
  • Options
    Has Harry Windsor got his coaching badges or does he get a bye?

probably prefers rugby but would be difficult to do be more flappy than hodgson. Might be a bit Karel fraeye though.
  • Options

We are always looking at blueprints - maybe picking a manager comes from the gut and if you make a mistake and the bloke fails miserably, you don't keep giving him another go. Maybe you don't keep looking elsewhere and make your own decisions. For me, a big reason, we are not sitting where Wales are now is that the idiot Hodgson failed to build on momentum we found in the second half against Wales and made too many needless changes. I said so and was outraged at such a stupid decision before the match. He made a stupid decision and now it is perfectly right he is judged on it. He deserves to be put in the stocks and have rotten eggs and tomatoes thrown at him all day. Fortunately for him, we don't do that anymore, but if the FA charged decent money for the pleasure, they might have got back a big chunk of the money they wasted on him.
    I don't disagree with you on Hodgsons decisions, you are right in that he proved to be hopelessly out of his depth.

However are we sure that it is the manager at fault every time here?

Since 1966 we have failed to reach a major final, whilst every other major European nation has reached at least four!!

Surely that tells you that it has to be something to do with the quality of player we are producing? Or are we to believe that we have just kept picking the wrong manager?

• Options

I don't disagree with you on Hodgsons decisions, you are right in that he proved to be hopelessly out of his depth.

However are we sure that it is the manager at fault every time here?

Since 1966 we have failed to reach a major final, whilst every other major European nation has reached at least four!!

Surely that tells you that it has to be something to do with the quality of player we are producing? Or are we to believe that we have just kept picking the wrong manager?

Are you suggesting we are a major European nation?

We get this 'tag' because we won the world cup ONCE, on home soil with a half decent team.

In all honesty we've been nowhere near that level since.
    The Italys and Germanys are on a different planet to us and we should never be classed in the same category.

Major european nation?? No better than Sweden or Denmark IMO.