Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, who should be next England manager and should he be English?

Comments

• Options

If he hadn't just pledged his future to ROI would anyone take Martin O'Neil?

Not for me
  • Options

DA9 said:

Allardyce with Eddie Howe as assistant part time so not to conflict with Bournemouth job. Then Howe takes over full time after 2018 World Cup with experience he has gained being involved in the international set up

I didnt think the FA liked having a Manager who is Part-Time with a club as well

I think because of the pressures of the Premier League no Chairman would allow their Manager to be involved in both.
    true but Neville was working with England whilst managing Valencia, albeit only a short time role. I wouldn't be against an England assistant who could then take over like they thought with Neville and Low with Germany. As someone has pointed out, if the example of Howe as assistant was put in place, what if we were again woeful in next world cup or even the qualifying, then some of the blame would be pointed at him.
  • Options

Sad reflection but there is just not a single stand-out English candidate close to being suitable.

Eddie Howe would be my best shout, but I fear what it would do to him at his age.

The Charlton fan in my would rather Curbs than some of the other names banded around.

I think we will go foreign again

Ah yes, the age thing as a hindrance again! After all, he is a mere whipper snapper at 38 (39 this year) and is still wet behind the ears!!

Please! He's good enough.
  • Options
    Dyche or Howe work well with players who work hard and stick to a game plan and know that every game is a fight.

I just don't think they would get the redpect and acceptance from an England squad they deserve and need to be successful.

Keep them free to manage at club level and building their stock up imo.
  • Options
    Sam Alladyce or Tony Pulis-

You are guaranteed an organised and structured unit, maybe be dull, may win 1-0 a lot, but it sure as hell beats losing to Iceland.
  • Options
    Nebojsa Vignjevic.
  • Options
    Ranieri.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

History says Capello was the best England manager, even if not the one with the most success.

Statistics correct as of 27 June 2016

Manager England career P W D L Win % PPG Competitions
    Fabio Capello 2008–2012 42 28 8 6 66.7 2.19 2010 World Cup – second round
    Alf Ramsey 1963–1974 113 69 27 17 61.1 2.07 1964 European Championship – failed to qualify
    1966 World Cup – champions
    1968 European Championship – third place
    1970 World Cup – quarter-final
    1972 European Championship – failed to qualify
    1974 World Cup – failed to qualify
    Glenn Hoddle 1996–1999 28 17 6 5 60.7 2.04 1998 World Cup – second round
    Ron Greenwood 1977–1982 55 33 12 10 60.0 2.02 1978 World Cup – failed to qualify
    1980 European Championship – group stage
    1982 World Cup – second round
    Sven-Göran Eriksson 2001–2006 67 40 17 10 59.7 2.04 2002 World Cup – quarter-final
    2004 European Championship – quarter-final
    2006 World Cup – quarter-final
    Roy Hodgson 2012–2016 56 33 15 8 58.9 2.07 2012 European Championship – quarter-final
    2014 World Cup – group stage
    2016 European Championship – Round of 16
    Walter Winterbottom 1946–1962 139 78 33 28 56.1 1.92 1950 World Cup – group stage
    1954 World Cup – quarter-final
    1958 World Cup – group play-off
    1962 World Cup – quarter-final
    Steve McClaren 2006–2007 18 9 4 5 50.0 1.83 2008 European Championship – failed to qualify
    Bobby Robson 1982–1990 95 47 30 18 49.5 1.8 1984 European Championship – failed to qualify
    1986 World Cup – quarter-final
    1988 European Championship – group stage
    1990 World Cup – fourth place
    Don Revie 1974–1977 29 14 8 7 48.3 1.72 1976 European Championship – failed to qualify
    Terry Venables 1994–1996[note 1] 23 11 11 1 47.8 1.91 1996 European Championship – semi-final
    Graham Taylor 1990–1993 38 18 13 7 47.4 1.76 1992 European Championship – group stage
    1994 World Cup – failed to qualify
    Joe Mercer 1974 7 3 3 1 42.9 1.71 —
    Kevin Keegan 1999–2000 18 7 7 4 38.9 1.56 2000 European Championship – group stage
    Howard Wilkinson 1999, 2000[note 2] 2 0 1 1 0.0 0.5 —
    Peter Taylor 2000[note 3] 1 0 0 1 0.0 0 —
    Stuart Pearce 2012[note 4] 1 0 0 1 0.0 0 —

Capello won one game at a major tournament though (from 4), surely Sven was the best out of the managers this century?
    3 quarter finals in retrospect seems quite good

Admittedly we had better players back then as well.

• Options
    Is Pochettino the guy at Spurs ? If so I would go for him above all others. All the Brits being mentioned would not be an improvement in my opinion.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Is Pochettino the guy at Spurs ? If so I would go for him above all others. All the Brits being mentioned would not be an improvement in my opinion.

He wouldn't want it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harry Reknapp offers "Come and get me" please:

You can count me out - I’ve made it clear how I’d have liked the job in the past but they aren’t going to consider me now. Roy Hodgson could not possibly have survived as England manager but I’ve got no faith whatsoever in the Football Association picking the right man to succeed him.

Can anyone trust the FA to get the right man? They gave the job to Hodgson and he has failed spectacularly for the last two tournaments, or even three if you consider Euro 2012. I’m seeing Gary Neville being made one of the favourites to succeed Hodgson but how the hell can he be considered after the job he did at Valencia? He should be culpable, he has never coached proper players and it would just be jobs for the boys if he was to be appointed.

Gareth Southgate has done a great job with the under-21s but there’s no way he is ready for the challenge of taking on the England team. We’ve got the farcical situation of Dan Ashworth picking the next England manager and I’m really not sure about his credentials either. It appears that anyone connected with West Brom seems to have a chance.

The FA are seriously going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat because there don’t seem to be any obvious contenders out there for me.”

He said through a car window.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Does anybody think Corbyn probably couldn't do a worse job of managing the England football team than Hodgson and Hodgson couldn't do a worse job of managing the Labour party than Corbyn!!! Maybe we should have swapped them in May! We might still be in Europe on two counts if we did!
  • Options
    Manuel Pellegrini?
  • Options
    Pulis is a dinosaur. Big Sam at least usually has a few flair players and can mix it about a bit.

Hiddink is a good shout.

Frank De Boer? Roberto Mancini? Frank Rijkaard.

• Options
    Put Hoddle back in as interim manager, and put Howe in as Assistant.

If Southgate gets it, forget qualifying for the next World Cup.
  • Options
    Manuel Pellegrini, Jürgen Klinsmann or Thomas Tuchel

• Options
    Hoddle & Dyche joint managers
  • Options

Klinsmann has been poor for the US.

Tuchel wouldn't come.
  • Options

Hoddle & Dyche joint managers

I could see that as a do able option tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone but Allardyce
  • Options
    No argies thank you very much.
  • Options

Klinsmann has been poor for the US.

Tuchel wouldn't come.
    He had a decent 2014 World Cup and a decent Copa America. Better than England's results with a much worse team.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    When will someone tell the faceless, unelected bigwigs at the FA that they are not part of the solution but part of the problem. Doubt if any of them have been employed on merit in any football capacity, so how can they judge what is wrong with our game?
  • Options
    The problem is ...the FA only appoint shit English managers
  • Options
    Already whispers coming out that the FA are keen to get Southgate in on an interim basis, with Wenger replacing him at the end of the first year.

Given his age this would be Wenger's only chance of managing at the World Cup, and you can see his time at Arsenal drawing to a close.

Looking at our qualifying group, I can't even see us fucking that up, so Wenger could take over with us looking pretty for qualification.
  • Options
    Big Sam
  • Options
    Wouldn't be too anti big Sam, i would be confident that we wouldn't put in performances as supine as what we have just witnessed!

Not sure that the FA would like him though, speaks his mind just a bit too much for them.
  • Options

Granpa said:

He wouldn't want it.
    Much as I like the thought of Pochettino being appointed as England manager, I don't think he'd like it either. He'd probably receive death threats from the people in his country!

Eddie Howe seems a very decent manager and he's obviously done an incredible job at Bournemouth. I don't know much about him, what kind of person he is but judging from the post-match interviews I've seen every week on MOTD I think he's probably too nice to be the England manager, for now, if you know what I mean. And he always comes across as a very very modest person in the interviews I've read on the internet. He seems quite different from say Garry Monk. This time last year he was worrying whether he would still be manager at Bournemouth by the end of the season (rightly so) but now he's being considered to be the next England manager. This would really be a step-up too huge for him and like someone else said, ruin his career - most of us don't want to see that happen to such a young, bright, promising homegrown manager.

Sam Allardyce, like I said before, is probably the best option available if you decide not to go foreign. He would probably take the job if offered in a heartbeat. But I can't see the FA (your FA) giving it to him. Besides, I have a soft spot for Sunderland and don't want them to lose Allardyce who is widely considered as the best man to stabilise them as a club in the top flight.
  • Options

Rather than focus on the manager - the biggest failure over the years must be that of the people who pick the manager. Curbs gave an account of what a farce the process was in respect to him in his book.

It really was a farce. I read Allardyce's autobiography last month and he described the whole process exactly as Curbs did in Valley of Dreams. The FA treated it as if it was a top secret MI-6 mission, only to make the crappiest decision ever of appointing Steve McClaren after so much trouble they'd gone through. Absolutely laughable.