Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slade - Charlton "miles away" from a squad to challenge at the top

Comments

• Options

I would be interested to know what MK Dons and Bolton have done with their squads since relegation, anyone know?

MK:
    Out - 9
    In - 4 (Ed Upson, George Williams, Paul Downing, Kabongo Tshimanga)

Bolton:
    Out - 13
    In - 4 (Mark Howard, Jamie Proctor, Mark Beevers, Chris Taylor)

Note that MK and Bolton haven't spent any money yet. All transfers have been free.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I would be interested to know what MK Dons and Bolton have done with their squads since relegation, anyone know?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016-17_Milton_Keynes_Dons_F.C._season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Bolton_Wanderers_F.C._season

MK Dons don't seem to have made huge changes, but then they were pretty much a League One side with a League One squad budget already.
    Still took 4 points off us
  • Options

MK:
    Out - 9
    In - 4 (Ed Upson, George Williams, Paul Downing, Kabongo Tshimanga)

Bolton:
    Out - 13
    In - 4 (Mark Howard, Jamie Proctor, Mark Beevers, Chris Taylor)

Note that MK and Bolton haven't spent any money yet. All transfers have been free.
    Bumped in to Ed not long after he was shown the door by Millwall. He looked really down about it. I said to him "keep your 'ead up son"

I'll get my coat.

• Options
    It is easy to forget that the players will know this team is mid table quality at best or, possibly, much worse. The likes of Novak, Ajose and Holmes may play above themselves but might wonder what the heck they are doing in SE7. If we start badly, we are waiting to be the next Blackpool.
  • Options
    I'm getting more convinced we are heading further down than we have ever been
  • Options

Just had a look and so far from the senior squad at the end of last season we've lost:

Pope, Henderson, Fanni, Motta, Suk-Young, Cousins, Poyet, JBG, Reza, Watt, Vetokele and Sanogo.

A whole team.

And we've signed 4 senior players to replace them. Crofts, Holmes, Novak and Ajose.

So, and feel free to correct me where I've got it wrong, we've lost Pope (great shot stopper but vulnerable at free kicks and corners); Henderson (seemed to have more than his fair share of injuries); Fanni & Motta (can't remember them doing that much); suk-Young (on temporary loan, would lose ball in possession and then be out of position); cousins (was getting bogged down in midfield); poyet (on loan, didn't do a lot); JBG (in and out of the game, should have been more proactive with his talent and shooting ability); Reza (ran around a lot, not necessarily effectively or with the ball); watt (not necessarily a team player, whether it's his fault or the fault of all the other players in the team I can't quite decide); Igor (injury prone ? Didn't recover early promise in front of goal); Sanogo (great at Brentford but after that sending off at home I wouldn't want him in a charlton shirt ever again)

And getting rid of them has probably freed up a lot of the wage bill
    If that's what you think of the players that we've lost I'd hate to know what you will think of the players we'll bring in to replace them. We won't have a player half as good as Cousins playing CM for us this season.
    I totally agree, Cousins is a player with great potential but is he an effective player ? He's gone to QPR ffs, hardly a ringing endorsement when I suspect most Charlton fans were probably worried a PL team would grab him
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    I demand goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've said it before but when the protests resume I think Murray must be the focus of them . After all this weasel is meant to be one of us.
    He must be targeted .

Isn't that like shouting at the Hamburglar after getting a bad meal at maccies?

The bloke is irrelevant.

This season is turning into a total joke before it's even started.

The absolute lack of exposure for League One football in Asia might be a good thing!
  • Options

Why isn't Slade being given the money raised from Cousins, Gudmundsson and Pope to bring players in?

Hate to add to the general pessimism and gloom but this was very predictable. Of course RD was going to sell anyone he could get money for and most of them wanted to leave anyway. Lots of players have been advertised as available, including stories placed in the press that 'so and so premiership club is interested in XXXX'. He's allowed Slade to buy a few people in week one and then would have stalled.

RD bit off more than he could chew in the Championship and will settle for whatever equilibrium he can afford while he works on a strategy to get his money back.

L1 mid table is probably enough for him to show case the academy, flog them off and make as much of his money back as he can. He only has a certain amount of time because the pipeline of new academy talent will dry up. But he's betting on selling what's there now.

For me, all Slade's comments about men and boys were the most telling - it's exposing this showcase tactic.

That's why it's such a dilemma for me about turning up, season tickets, etc. - the less money he takes in, the faster he will asset strip and more likely he will resort to desperation like developing parts of the ground for property, even selling the ground, etc. Like it or not, he will get his money back one way or another.
  • Options

Just had a look and so far from the senior squad at the end of last season we've lost:

Pope, Henderson, Fanni, Motta, Suk-Young, Cousins, Poyet, JBG, Reza, Watt, Vetokele and Sanogo.

A whole team.

And we've signed 4 senior players to replace them. Crofts, Holmes, Novak and Ajose.

So, and feel free to correct me where I've got it wrong, we've lost Pope (great shot stopper but vulnerable at free kicks and corners); Henderson (seemed to have more than his fair share of injuries); Fanni & Motta (can't remember them doing that much); suk-Young (on temporary loan, would lose ball in possession and then be out of position); cousins (was getting bogged down in midfield); poyet (on loan, didn't do a lot); JBG (in and out of the game, should have been more proactive with his talent and shooting ability); Reza (ran around a lot, not necessarily effectively or with the ball); watt (not necessarily a team player, whether it's his fault or the fault of all the other players in the team I can't quite decide); Igor (injury prone ? Didn't recover early promise in front of goal); Sanogo (great at Brentford but after that sending off at home I wouldn't want him in a charlton shirt ever again)

If that's what you think of the players that we've lost I'd hate to know what you will think of the players we'll bring in to replace them. We won't have a player half as good as Cousins playing CM for us this season.
    I totally agree, Cousins is a player with great potential but is he an effective player ? He's gone to QPR ffs, hardly a ringing endorsement when I suspect most Charlton fans were probably worried a PL team would grab him
    Depends what you mean by effective. His work rate was great and marshalled the midfield in a sense. Would've been bloody brilliant in this league. Forgive me for not knowing how long Diarra (his legs probably can't do the job there anymore anyway) and kahsi are out for but if we have to use Muldoon there instead for the time being then we're in for trouble.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

A whole team.

You clearly decided before you write that post that you were going to categorise all of our players that have left as no big deal and then came up with a ludicrous position.

Pope, Henderson, Motta, Fanni, Cousins ("bogged down in midfield" - classic), JBG and Watt would all be solid Championship players and certainly good enough to help get us out of this division.
    the potential for all those players speaks for itself but talent on its own is not enough. To me, the only players in Charlton's squad that ever looks like they want to win the game or win the tackle or wants to score if he sees the goal are Jackson, Solly and Diarra and even with their slowing game I'd pick them over any of the outfield players above simply because of their approach to a game. The two keepers have huge potential but pope never inspired me with confidence with his set play defending and Henderson seemed to get injured too easily for my liking (or am I wrong about that ?). Sometimes it's better for both team and player if they move on.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It has freed a lot of the wage bill, sadly however that freeing up is not and will not be used on the team, still nice pitch cheap ticket all is well
  • Options

FORD said:

They're selling players to balance the books and I'm not convinced we're finished selling yet. 1, 2 or maybe 3 more. Then we'll be doing our usual attempt to find unattached unfit players in September.

Has this regime got a clue that sport is about making yourself competitive rather than giving every other team in your league a competitive advantage. Was really thinking we might get out of tho awful league in the next couple of season, sadly starting to worry it might be through relegation rather than promotion. Our only hope is Slade and his experience.

Waiting for when this statement gets removed or altered as it evidently a pack of lies...top priority is selling! Print it up for a CARD banner!

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-charlton-athletic-relegation-to-league-one-3068129.aspx

Everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie. Anybody who believes a word she says, is lying to themself.
    Indeed, but the best thing about that statement is that it starts "Charlton Chief Executive Katrien Meire has issued the following statement..." It's her statement, therefore her failure.

Nowhere to hide now as it's clear she's a pork pie merchant. Hey, let's get a cantering van ready for the home games "Meire's Pork Pies", all profits to CARD. May need to sort out licenses...
  • Options

Is this the same JBG that got the most assists in the league, despite player for us?

Technically, it wasn't the most. And 11 assists over a whole season isn't necessarily going to be irreplaceable
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Spoke to a Cardiff fan this week,,asked him what his opinion was of Russ whilst he was @Cardiff , he said he was very good at getting rid of players, he didn't mention whether he was very good at recruiting lots of them!

He did however like the look of Tony Watt whilst he was there though.
  • Options
    Familiarity breeds contempt, we are more than familiar with the regime failing to deliver on their propaganda and most of us are well beyond contempt.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    'It's only pre-season, no need to worry'

Been here before, it's more than the players we have - it's the strategy this man has for our club . He will drive all good from the Club. Russ will not last long, these guys are all sold a lie. A lie we want promotion. They want to play youth and sell them. Try make more from that than the obstacle of our Footballl Club.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

We knew we were down in April. We knew we would need new players as lots would go. It is now 24th July.

I honestly thought when we signed Ajose that the owners had learnt their lesson but clearly I have been naive yet again.

I think it's more because they don't have a clue re: what they're doing at any level. They've pieced together a plan off the back of the network not working. RD's plan was that that would suffice. He truly believed it was enough. When it transpired it wasn't going to work, panic and cluelessness.

It meant KM actually had to a job and not hide behind Roland. The network was her protection. All she had to do was turn up everyday, RD's agents and people dealt with all the comings and goings, moving Buyens around etc....

That's all gone now, she's been left to stand on her own. She can't do it, and presides over a mess
  • Options
    If Slade walks away, I reckon they get Sue Parkes in as Manager.
    Checkmate. Or should I say Fool's mate.
  • Options
    Ok I'm trying to be optimistic here. The transfer window only opened on July 1 and I believe closes 31st August, so we're not even half way through.

Granted the season starts in 2 weeks, but Wigan were a slow burn last season, coming from a lesser position to finally end up champions.
  • Options

Is this the same JBG that got the most assists in the league, despite player for us?

Technically, it wasn't the most. And 11 assists over a whole season isn't necessarily going to be irreplaceable
    If he could get 11 assists in the championship playing for a crap team, I reckon he could get 20 plus in league 1.

So yes he is irreplaceable
  • Options

Ok I'm trying to be optimistic here. The transfer window only opened on July 1 and I believe closes 31st August, so we're not even half way through.

Granted the season starts in 2 weeks, but Wigan were a slow burn last season, coming from a lesser position to finally end up champions.

If you really want to compare us to Wigan, they brought in 31 players last season (not counting the players returning from loan). How many have we brought in so far?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

If you really want to compare us to Wigan, they brought in 31 players last season (not counting the players returning from loan). How many have we brought in so far?
    Only 27 to go then.

http://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=england3&teamid=11

Here you go. Wigan's first 12 games. They only won 4.

Won 4 drew 5 lost 3 = 17 points.