Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slade - Charlton "miles away" from a squad to challenge at the top

Comments

• Options
    I couldn't care any less this season as to who we do or don't sign.

Don't get me wrong I'll be pissed off all season and I have no doubt about this, because we'll finish mid table and have sold Ajose in January for 500k more than we paid... It'll be described as decent business by @colin1961 and we'll all give him a barrage of abuse.

They're giving us a lesson that if you buy English you can't fill up your team as English is apparently overpriced in order to obtain and undervalued when sold.
  • Options

I agree with Airman Brown. If they allow Russell Slade to build a Charlton team that makes the top six, then they will take credit for this. If he builds a side that struggles, then the blame will fall squarely on Slade's shoulders. They would appear to be in a win-win position. And if the team does struggle, they will be able to sack Slade without too much resistance, and then install whichever of Duchatelets unqualified subservient lackeys is next on the list to receive the old fool's royal patronage.

I disagree. Because of the track record of the past couple of seasons, if we get promotion then Russell Slade will get the credit. If we fail, then it's going to be seen as just another example of the regime's failure to get it right and not because RS isn't good enough. That's why I think the Slade will get what he wants but being the new boy he is probably a bit uncomfortable about asking for too much too soon.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

So this isn't about Slade's new Christmas single?

I will admit it's not a very catchy title.

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

Far far away
  • Options

I think Slade has pushed Meire/Duchatelet into a corner with his public comments - they either do what he wants or it is clear they are responsible for what happens next. Since they will find it hard to survive him walking away, I expect Slade to win this one.

I really hope you're right but i genuinely don't think Roly gives a shit.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I think Slade has pushed Meire/Duchatelet into a corner with his public comments - they either do what he wants or it is clear they are responsible for what happens next. Since they will find it hard to survive him walking away, I expect Slade to win this one.

The problem is that they don't care about public/fan opinion. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they either sacked him or passively forced him into a resignation
    I agree with this and what's worse imo is that Miere has developed a hatred of us that will have her doing anything to spite us.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Are you hanging up your stocking on the wall?
  • Options

I expect you're right about that, but the police and football authorities would if the fans decided it was time to call a halt to this farce.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I expect you're right about that, but the police and football authorities would if the fans decided it was time to call a halt to this farce.
    Which is exactly what is needed
  • Options

thought that time was long gone

• Options

thought that time was long gone

There are many Charlton fans willing to do this, but not enough imo, or it would have happened long ago.
  • Options

Wasn't that time about 6 months ago when some random Belgian passer by was quite remarkably appointed manager?
  • Options
    All the above is why CARD should continue if not increase the protests.
  • Options

All the above is why CARD should continue if not increase the protests.

Has anyone ever told you that you remind me of Billy Bonds?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    We looked quite sprightly at first on Saturday - on our toes and moving the ball quickly, Johnson shouting orders. Both Konsa and Hanlan have the physique and mobility for effective combat, and looked promising. Harriott made some swift advances down the right touchline in the second half.

Yet, our persistent failings surfaced again. Strikers missed the target when unchallenged (Hanlan and Harriott, in the first half). Midfielders facing our defenders, passing backwards under pressure instead of swivelling to feed the attack. Got bogged down in peripheral areas; no build-up of tempo or momentum. Crosses wildly misplaced. Only one testing shot in the second half.

Orient were the better side: had more of the possession and missed several good chances when our defenders went AWOL.

Novak needs to get involved and off the mark. Ajose is already injured. Our squad is threadbare. We've got problems.
  • Options
    I may do, but I am not going to West Ham.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Just wrote this in the post match but might be more appropriate here.

I said a couple of months ago that the one silver lining in being in essentially being relegated a few weeks (months?) before the season ended was that it gave us a head start over lots of rivals to go out and get the recruitment plan for this summer right. Now, with less than a fortnight to kick off our manager is saying we're miles away from being ready to compete, that is an absolute disgrace.

Brilliant post, spot on the money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I respect Slade for saying this. It is, however, in very sharp contrast with the L1 season under Powell, when the management team used pre-season to solidify team spirit behind the one goal of promotion. Slade has already been denied that opportunity by this shambles of a regime. I imagine his candour will not be received terribly well by the current squad, either. Sad, bad times.

I would imagine his candour would be well received. I'd be pleased if my manager was pointing out we need more qualified players (staff) asap.
  • Options
    This has been the plan all along hasn't it? To field at least 4-5 of the players from the youth team. I can't believe he's only just finding this out now.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

The problem is that they don't care about public/fan opinion. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they either sacked him or passively forced him into a resignation
    ABs comments are true.

I would say that Roland does give a shit only because the fans forced his hand to employ a British manager otherwise we would have 23 (annoying for them) home games to protest this season from the word go.

If Roland sacks slade, or slade walks.....then the regime are F*cked again in that sense. It will all blow up

Then Colin will say he knows an insider that good him slade had a bad attitude and was inept.....

My theory is that Roland has just TESTED SLADE to see if he opposes the fact that the squad is shit.

Roland wants to find out just how much he could get away with.....he may already have his answer.

Slade will win. Regime have run out of managers\head coaches to sack.

Times up, slade has em by the balls and he knows it.
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Slade ever walked before ?
    I doubt he's financially in a position where he can walk out of a 3 year contract unless he has something lined up.
    Didn't he get shoved from manager to a chuffy made up position at Cardiff , which he accepted until the position as our manager arrived .
  • Options

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Slade ever walked before ?
    I doubt he's financially in a position where he can walk out of a 3 year contract unless he has something lined up.
    Didn't he get shoved from manager to a chuffy made up position at Cardiff , which he accepted until the position as our manager arrived .

Correct.

I think Slade has been 'successful' enough in the lower leagues to still be in demand.
  • Options
    Slade resigned from Scarborough when they went into administration.
  • Options

I respect Slade for saying this. It is, however, in very sharp contrast with the L1 season under Powell, when the management team used pre-season to solidify team spirit behind the one goal of promotion. Slade has already been denied that opportunity by this shambles of a regime. I imagine his candour will not be received terribly well by the current squad, either. Sad, bad times.

I would imagine his candour would be well received. I'd be pleased if my manager was pointing out we need more qualified players (staff) asap.
    But how pleased will Duchatelet have been when someone pointed out that Meire gave away his 'hidden' agenda in Dublin and effectively blamed him (along with player indiscipline) for relegation (i.e. too many managerial changes causing instability).

If Duchatelet really, really does listen to the fans (as in his appointment of a British manager as some believe he did) then he would have listened also and to the high levels of fan criticism of Katrien Meire and acted long ago to remove a CEO who is leading the club over a cliff with her unique combination of failed business practices, highly questionable involvement in transfers and indifference bordering on contempt for the fans (his 'customers').

There is no indication however that Duchatelet has 'learned' anything over two years by his appointment of Meire as CEO and until that changes..............................................!!!