Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slade - Charlton "miles away" from a squad to challenge at the top

Comments

• Options
    Didn't Millwall also start badly but finished in the top six?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Millwall and Wigan's soul were not shattered plus
    Dave Whelan's Grandson and the American Owner at Millwall are half decent.
    Pleased to see some of our Fans are glass half full.
    i guess we can't all be shattered glass and where's the super glue.
  • Options

Just had a look and so far from the senior squad at the end of last season we've lost:

Pope, Henderson, Fanni, Motta, Suk-Young, Cousins, Poyet, JBG, Reza, Watt, Vetokele, Makienok and Sanogo.

More than a whole team.

And we've signed 4 senior players to replace them. Crofts, Holmes, Novak and Ajose.

So we are 9 players down from an already thin squad that got us relegated last season.
  • Options
    We're not.

He forgot Sarr & Bergditch. (Dmitrovic & Tucadean, but they didn't feature).
  • Options
    I already thought that Slade would be gone before the New Year BEFORE I read this. Maybe I should make that by the end of October.

Lack of stock and faulty goods at the store. This customer's not going.
  • Options
    If Slade hasn't been given the budget to put together a squad, let alone one with a chance of promotion, by the time the window closes, he should do the honourable thing and resign.

Then give a press conference and tell the world why.
  • Options
    How's Harriott doing pre season, seeing as he is going to rip League One to shreds!
  • Options

How's Harriott doing pre season, seeing as he is going to rip League One to shreds!

Not great, but to be fair to him he's played out of position on the right wing in the games I've seen.
  • Options

Not great, but to be fair to him he's played out of position on the right wing in the games I've seen.
    Rusty clearly likes an inverted winger then which Harriott has not looked too comfortable with in the past.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RedChaser said:

Rusty clearly likes an inverted winger then which Harriott has not looked too comfortable with in the past.
    Unfortunately seems that way, he is awkward on the right. The one time he was on the left against Orient, he got his head up and got in a decent cross. If he plays Harriott, he's got to be on the left to be effective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

RedChaser said:

Unfortunately seems that way, he is awkward on the right. The one time he was on the left against Orient, he got his head up and got in a decent cross. If he plays Harriott, he's got to be on the left to be effective.
    Or through the middle
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Sage said:

RedChaser said:

Or through the middle
    This. Harriot drifts out of the game, runs out of pitch or loses momentum when he's stuck out on the wing. He's got a lot of potential and skill.
    Stick him in the middle where he's bang slap in the action and has space to spare whichever way he needs to go.
  • Options

Is this the same JBG that got the most assists in the league, despite player for us?

Technically, it wasn't the most
    . And 11 assists over a whole season isn't necessarily going to be irreplaceable
    1 Johann Gudmundsson Charlton Athletic 11
    Alan Judge Brentford 11
    3 Chris Martin Derby County 10
    4 Harry Bunn Huddersfield Town 9
    Ross McCormack Fulham 9
    Fred Sears Ipswich Town 9
    Andre Gray Burnley 9

http://www.espnfc.us/english-league-championship/24/statistics/assists
  • Options
    We don't have to be rocket scientists to know he can't be happy with what he has got at this stage. Now what we don't fully know if what the intent to correct that is. We do have something that Slade doesn't know though. That is experience of the idiot CEO and owner! They continue to surpass themselves in terms of ineptitude.
  • Options
    I said somewhere else on here, I think we do have a top six budget but we have spent so much of it paying up the contracts of the likes of Tucudean and subsidising the wages of the likes of Sarr that we have nothing left for an actual squad...
  • Options
    The farce continues - squad looks threadbare and destined for relegation battle
  • Options

Top man Slade. We need a manager to say it as it is.

Agreed. But how long to you think Roly and KM will put up with that for? Slade is on a hiding to nothing. His only silver lining is a pay off if he's sacked. But he seems a genuine type of bloke, the sort that would walk if he isn't getting what he wants.

The thing that bothers me is if he was to walk away, what self respecting manager would want to take over.

It's quite clear that Nobby Vinegar will appear somewhere along the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Top man Slade. We need a manager to say it as it is.

Agreed. But how long to you think Roly and KM will put up with that for? Slade is on a hiding to nothing. His only silver lining is a pay off if he's sacked. But he seems a genuine type of bloke, the sort that would walk if he isn't getting what he wants.

The thing that bothers me is if he was to walk away, what self respecting manager would want to take over.

It's quite clear that Nobby Vinegar will appear somewhere along the line.
    I think that in many respects it's exactly the opposite.

If RS gets what he wants and was no doubt promised all well and good. If it does transpire that he he feels he has been lied to and hasn't got the support he thought he would have then he walks.

Who is going to blame him or think it's a blot on his career ? Certainly not Charlton fans. Within the game it's already known that Charlton are a toxic basket case. A few quiet words from Russell would soon filter through to the football world and if anything I would think his reputation would be enhanced.

• Options

I think Slade has pushed Meire/Duchatelet into a corner with his public comments - they either do what he wants or it is clear they are responsible for what happens next. Since they will find it hard to survive him walking away, I expect Slade to win this one.

I really hope you are right.. he was 100% the best man for the job, excellent record on shoe-string budgets in the lower leagues! F the regime and that cowardly bitch!
  • Options

I think Slade has pushed Meire/Duchatelet into a corner with his public comments - they either do what he wants or it is clear they are responsible for what happens next. Since they will find it hard to survive him walking away, I expect Slade to win this one.

The problem is that they don't care about public/fan opinion. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they either sacked him or passively forced him into a resignation
  • Options
    I'd love him to be refused what he wants and then he walks with a parting shot that he had been duped. Even those who think everything in the garden is rosy might have to reconsider their position then.
  • Options
    I agree with Airman Brown. If they allow Russell Slade to build a Charlton team that makes the top six, then they will take credit for this. If he builds a side that struggles, then the blame will fall squarely on Slade's shoulders. They would appear to be in a win-win position. And if the team does struggle, they will be able to sack Slade without too much resistance, and then install whichever of Duchatelets unqualified subservient lackeys is next on the list to receive the old fool's royal patronage.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

The problem is that they don't care about public/fan opinion. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they either sacked him or passively forced him into a resignation
    I think that's the problem. Duchatelet has delusions of grandeur. As he said of himself in that infamous interview in Trust News: "If someone thinks I’m a fat idiot, I’m sorry for him, but that’s not important to me" and "I‘m a visionary, of course".

I don't think he's bothered about the opinions of those he regards as 'lesser mortals' - and NightMeire just does what she's told....
  • Options
    I'm struggling to see which mistakes have been learnt from. It's feeling like a deliberate effort to fuck up our chances now, and I dont understand why. How KM is allowed to continue leading negotiations on anything blows my mind.
  • Options
    So this isn't about Slade's new Christmas single?