Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slade - Charlton "miles away" from a squad to challenge at the top

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    braydex said:

A simple question.

If Slade has publicly stated that the squad is miles away from challenging a promotion bid (which was the benchmark set by the owners for this season), that effectively means he believes it is unlikely he can meet that benchmark.

So what does he do? Stay and try and work with what he has got/is left with? Or resign, knowing he has not been given the resources to achieve the target he has been set, which will possibly end in his sacking anyway?

I suppose you could have a press conference game after game where Russell is asked to explain yet another disappointing result. And game after game he can say he was duped by his employer who has broken promises.

I was thinking, have we had a manager who has ben properly supported by this regime?

Powell? Manifestly no.

Riga? Rearranged the deckchairs that were already there in his first spell. Then let go. Counts as a no from me.

Peeters? One of the weirdest scenarios, was allowed some autonomy regarding players, but was eventually left exposed and unsupported as far as I can tell. So a no.

Luzon? As with Riga initially, but then left with an inadequate squad to start (last) season. Another no.

Fraeye? if getting Vaz Te and Williams and the like counts as being supported then I would not agree. Another no.
    (I am not sure who came in under Riga second spell and Fraeye.)

Riga again? We got relegated, he resigned. Looks like another no.

It is looking like Russell Slade is being similarly unsupported by this regime.
  • Options
    Do you even think Slade was given a budget?
    If he did, why would he splash out on Ajose only to complain about finances a few weeks later.

My thinkin is that there isn't a budget but Roly has final say and Slade didn't realise he would be so tight after the initial few.
  • Options
    See you slader
  • Options

Do you even think Slade was given a budget?
    If he did, why would he splash out on Ajose only to complain about finances a few weeks later.

My thinkin is that there isn't a budget but Roly has final say and Slade didn't realise he would be so tight after the initial few.

That would seem to make sense. As usual, there is no plan, no budget, no vision. Just Duchatalet's over-riding desire to spend as little money as he can possibly can.
  • Options
    What you guys aren't considering is that all our targets don't want to play for such a shambles of a club!

• Options
    I think this is going to end badly ;-)

As above, at least a part of the issue is getting players (and their agents) on board to come, frankly most players are giving Charlton a wide berth which isn't surprising really is it.

I also suspect RD is interfering, Slade suggests some players, KM speaks to RD who says no, I have 4x centre backs elsewhere he can have. The spots aren't going to change now........

I'll be surprised if by mid next week we have anything more than 1x keeper on loan and 1x defender either a freebie or on loan.
  • Options
    I have said it repeatedly we are being run by agents these days. More or less being used as a holding position for players.
  • Options

Less than two days to the final friendly of the season and still no sign of the experienced goalkeeper and 4-5 other recruits the manager has asked for!

Amateur hour continues down at the Valley!!!

Even if we do make the signings they won't have ever played a football match together.
    To let it get to this stage is absolute madness.
    It only takes a phone call to set up a behind closed doors match. I suspect we wouldn't be the only team looking to get one more game in.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I also suspect RD is interfering, Slade suggests some players, KM speaks to RD who says no, I have 4x centre backs elsewhere he can have. The spots aren't going to change now........

Agree with this. If RD thought he had better players than Hamer, Kermorgant, Solly and Stephens when he first took over, Christ knows what he makes of players Slade is pitching to him right now. I've no doubt Crofts wanted significantly more than some young Euro identified by the laptop scouts. Not sure Slade will win too many more of those battles, hence the stalemate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

braydex said:

A simple question.

If Slade has publicly stated that the squad is miles away from challenging a promotion bid (which was the benchmark set by the owners for this season), that effectively means he believes it is unlikely he can meet that benchmark.

So what does he do? Stay and try and work with what he has got/is left with? Or resign, knowing he has not been given the resources to achieve the target he has been set, which will possibly end in his sacking anyway?

I suppose you could have a press conference game after game where Russell is asked to explain yet another disappointing result. And game after game he can say he was duped by his employer who has broken promises.

I was thinking, have we had a manager who has ben properly supported by this regime?

Powell? Manifestly no.

Riga? Rearranged the deckchairs that were already there in his first spell. Then let go. Counts as a no from me.

Peeters? One of the weirdest scenarios, was allowed some autonomy regarding players, but was eventually left exposed and unsupported as far as I can tell. So a no.

Luzon? As with Riga initially, but then left with an inadequate squad to start (last) season. Another no.

Fraeye? if getting Vaz Te and Williams and the like counts as being supported then I would not agree. Another no.
    (I am not sure who came in under Riga second spell and Fraeye.)

Riga again? We got relegated, he resigned. Looks like another no.

It is looking like Russell Slade is being similarly unsupported by this regime.
    The most frustrating ones for me is the lack of support for Powell and Luzon. Both were building something and both were trashed. We finished the 14/15 season so strongly and surged to finish in mid-table and then we started last season so well. I remember listening to a betting podcast reviewing the season so far after 6 games when we had beaten two newly relegated sides and got a good draw away to Derby and they were saying that if we keep this up we look a good punt to finish top 6. If only we had been given more support who knows where we could be now.
  • Options

Less than two days to the final friendly of the season and still no sign of the experienced goalkeeper and 4-5 other recruits the manager has asked for!

Amateur hour continues down at the Valley!!!

Even if we do make the signings they won't have ever played a football match together.
    To let it get to this stage is absolute madness.
    It only takes a phone call to set up a behind closed doors match. I suspect we wouldn't be the only team looking to get one more game in.
    And only takes 90 minutes for a team to gel? No idea why they organise all these pre-season games and go on tour, then.