Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Reid

Just announced his retirement due to injury. Loved watching him play for us.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Cracking little player. If Powell had him in our record promotion season we would have been promoted by Christmas.
  • Great player and a decent man also. Went to the ground and training ground and personally thanked everyone before he left.
  • Such a shame hate it when a player has to retire due to injury...

Was holding my breath that we'd made a offer to him
  • JiMMy 85 said:

He gets a lot of love here, so I feel like I stand alone on this cos my take was that he did very little for us and then abandoned the club as soon as Sunderland came calling. Serious question - what am I missing?

I understood we sold him because we couldnt turn down their offer (Almost like a Rob Lee selling?)
  • Cracking little player. If Powell had him in our record promotion season we would have been promoted by Christmas.

If we'd maybe been able to have kept him we'd have gone straight back up to the Premier League.

We were sixth when he was sold and instantly replaced by Andy Gray and completely lost our creativity.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/2007-2008/results
  • Sad news this! Very good player it's a shame he had lots of injuries
  • Sponsored links:

• That left peg was a wand, he could have got pickles out of a jar with it.
  • Good little player, but like the current crop everytime he would string a few games together he would be back out injured again.

Saying that I'm quite suprised the witch hasnt gone in for him.
  • Cracking little player. If Powell had him in our record promotion season we would have been promoted by Christmas.

If we'd maybe been able to have kept him we'd have gone straight back up to the Premier League.

We were sixth when he was sold and instantly replaced by Andy Gray and completely lost our creativity.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/2007-2008/results
    Technically Andy Gray replaced the injured Chris Iwelumo, whereas Andy Reid was replaced by Therry Racon who became a more regular fixture in the side after Reid left.
  • Such a shame hate it when a player has to retire due to injury...

Was holding my breath that we'd made a offer to him

I used to think that when there was a new thread for an old player. Now I just hope that they've made a public statement against the regime.
  • Had a lot of talent and was so classy on the ball. Unfortunately you could see his lifestyle choices didn't necessarily align with making it to the very top. Loved watching him play though.
  • He was sold!!! He didn't try to push through the move. Sunderland came in and he bid was accepted. Heard he was as class off the pitch as he was on it. I also heard he went and said goodbye to every member of staff at Charlton. Did he used to own a pub in Greenwich?
  • Missed It said:

Terrific player - and we haven't had a creative midfielder since he left. That's nearly ten bloody years of square passes!!!

No need to say anymore......THIS
  • He was sold!!! He didn't try to push through the move. Sunderland came in and he bid was accepted. Heard he was as class off the pitch as he was on it. I also heard he went and said goodbye to every member of staff at Charlton. Did he used to own a pub in Greenwich?

No, he was a regular at Hardy's Free House on Trafalgar Road towards the end of his time with us. Used to come in on Sunday nights. Years later, someone told me he was thinking of buying it. He owned a bar in Nottingham at the time he was sold.

Lovely fella, top player. Good luck to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• His technique was incredible. Really gifted footballer, just let down by his physique.

One of my favourite all time Charlton players.
  • Good player, but a reet fat bastard.......so I guess he had no right to be a footballer.......!
  • Sorry to hear this news. Hope he enjoys retirement, whatever he does.
  • His technique was incredible. Really gifted footballer, just let down by his physique.

One of my favourite all time Charlton players.

Absolutely spot on.

I loved him

• edited July 2016
    One of my favourite players at Charlton - always hoped he may come back at some stage.
  • The year we got relegated, skipper Luke Yiung tried to organise a team night out to boost morale and see how we could turn things around and Andy Reid was only player to turn up.
  • Class player..a privilege to watch him play at the Valley.
  • Very skillfull player. Pure class
  • Seem to remember his natural build was the problem rather than anything to do with lifestyle. I think I remember reading at Spurs he actually had the lowest body fat levels of anyone else in the squad at the time.