Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Reid

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

JiMMy 85 said:

He gets a lot of love here, so I feel like I stand alone on this cos my take was that he did very little for us and then abandoned the club as soon as Sunderland came calling. Serious question - what am I missing?

Put yourself in his place and perhaps you'll have some understanding?

Football was his career, not his hobby.
    As a professional, he'd already proved he was capable of playing in the Premier League and for his country.

As a professional, it was a no-brainer for him to get back to the Prem and his mates from the Ireland squad at Sunderland.
    No one is going to turn down a huge payrise.

Plus Charlton wanted him sold.
    If the club has no loyalty to the player, then no player is going to want to stay.

Great character to have around the club - his leaving proved a big loss to Charlton on and off the pitch.

I didnt ask why he left or question his decision for taking a move to a club in the Prem. I asked why he is so loved despite achieving very little and not sticking around.
  • Options
    There have, the Palace reaction makes sense too. But I'm still not sold on it. The club and he were pragmatic. And he's a nice guy. But I personally don't see any reason to put him in the same bracket as Kinsella or Jackson. He didn't stick around long enough for that. Irish players and Premier League football were more important to him and that's fine, I don't begrudge him that. But I won't compare him to club legends.
  • Options

He was sold!!! He didn't try to push through the move. Sunderland came in and he bid was accepted. Heard he was as class off the pitch as he was on it. I also heard he went and said goodbye to every member of staff at Charlton. Did he used to own a pub in Greenwich?

The amount of time and money he spent in there would have warranted a share, certainly.
    Top bloke, unassuming, bought his round, decent guitar player. Can't get away from thinking that less time on the sauce would have meant less time on the physio's couch too.
    His departure and its timing definitely didn't help but under Pardew the ponse, Charlton's trajectory was ever more steeply downward.
  • Options
    He wasn't fat. When I stood near him in Hardy's one night, he was fit as a butcher's dog. Not an ounce of fat on him. Just short made him look slightly stocky.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

There have, the Palace reaction makes sense too. But I'm still not sold on it. The club and he were pragmatic. And he's a nice guy. But I personally don't see any reason to put him in the same bracket as Kinsella or Jackson. He didn't stick around long enough for that. Irish players and Premier League football were more important to him and that's fine, I don't begrudge him that. But I won't compare him to club legends.

That's ok then because no one has compared him to club legends.The closest was someone saying,

"First captain since kinsella that I thought actually gave a damn and loved how apeshit he went when toddy scored against palace. Didn't think we'd find a captain in a long time that would care but we've got Jacko who is up there with kins in my opinion."
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The year we got relegated, skipper Luke Yiung tried to organise a team night out to boost morale and see how we could turn things around and Andy Reid was only player to turn up.

Can imagine that with the team we had. People really do underestimate what a good team spirit and togetherness can do to for a team from Professional down to sunday league.
  • Options

He was sold!!! He didn't try to push through the move. Sunderland came in and he bid was accepted. Heard he was as class off the pitch as he was on it. I also heard he went and said goodbye to every member of staff at Charlton. Did he used to own a pub in Greenwich?

The amount of time and money he spent in there would have warranted a share, certainly.
    Top bloke, unassuming, bought his round, decent guitar player. Can't get away from thinking that less time on the sauce would have meant less time on the physio's couch too.
    His departure and its timing definitely didn't help but under Pardew the ponse, Charlton's trajectory was ever more steeply downward.
    Can imagine he would be the sort of character you could easily sink 10 Guinness on a sunday afternoon with and in the day of modern day footballers, they're few and far between.
  • Options
    Top fella & a true gent.
    My bestie & I were lucky enough to hand him a MotM award & between the two of us he was tiny
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Had a lot of talent and was so classy on the ball. Unfortunately you could see his lifestyle choices didn't necessarily align with making it to the very top. Loved watching him play though.

what has his penchant for a bumming got to do with making it at the very top?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decent player, and got to 34 which is a decent career.

He was much slimmer in this second Forest spell which shows that he COULD get himself into better shape
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

He gets a lot of love here, so I feel like I stand alone on this cos my take was that he did very little for us and then abandoned the club as soon as Sunderland came calling. Serious question - what am I missing?

I understood we sold him because we couldnt turn down their offer (Almost like a Rob Lee selling?)
    Correct - He didn't have much choice.

It was a big offer, we needed the money .Went to join Keane and the other Irish contingent at Sunderland.
    Seem to recall he was on circa 40k a week at Sunderland as well. Given his fitness record, you can't blame him for taking the money.
    Explain the flag @ElfsborgAddick
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I understood we sold him because we couldnt turn down their offer (Almost like a Rob Lee selling?)

It was a big offer, we needed the money .Went to join Keane and the other Irish contingent at Sunderland.
    Seem to recall he was on circa 40k a week at Sunderland as well. Given his fitness record, you can't blame him for taking the money.
    Because I resent you posting something that does not merit a lol.

I'll unflag you now mate!
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

No, you just realised that your beer at Bury was in jeopardy. :smiley:
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

No, you just realised that your beer at Bury was in jeopardy. :smiley:
    Lol, and now unflagged.

• Options
    Plural as well!
  • Options
    Typically of him, he gave an interview to the local paper in Nottingham to mark his retirement. He's 34 today.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/nottingham-forest-ace-andy-reid-has-no-regrets-as-he-hangs-up-his-boots/story-29562765-detail/story.html
  • Options
    Great player - sweet left foot.
  • Options
    I remember him scoring two penalties in about three minutes in a night game against Norwich. Both were smashed with real venom into the top corner, totally unstoppable. We fell away from the play off places once he went.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last decent midfield player we had - great passer of the ball.
  • Options
    Good player. best game for me was the 1-0 win at Southampton when Iwelumo scored in the last minute. The vastly over-rated Semedo got himself sent off in the first half after two brainless challenges had resulted in yellow cards. Reid ran the game from midfield despite the numerical disadvantage and set up the win.
  • Options
    Anyone remember his cross for Iwelumo goal away at the Saints? Brilliant away day 10 men as well, Semedo gets sent off (who else) All the best Reidy was just a little too good for us.
  • Options

Anyone remember his cross for Iwelumo goal away at the Saints? Brilliant away day 10 men as well, Semedo gets sent off (who else) All the best Reidy was just a little too good for us.

I tried to remind @Tutt-Tutt about this but he reckons it never happened
  • Options

It wasn't Reidy's cross -it was put over beautifully from the right flank by none other than Luke Varney
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Reidy didn't want to go, he said it himself,however he was one of the last assets we had and the only hope we had of an outside chance of returning to the premier league,

Yet Murray cashed in

The beginning of my disenchantment with all things CAFC

I have zero respect for Murray now and genuinely can't understand how or why he is still here
  • Options

Then repeated it again at Bristol City the following Tuesday.
  • Options

It wasn't Reidy's cross -it was put over beautifully from the right flank by none other than Luke Varney
    I thought that and thought Reid set up big Chris 4 day's later.