Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Cant see how it isn't in Ba's interest to play in the first team now and impress a potential new club. Should be a no brainer for Slade to at least bung him on the bench.

Slade's days could be numbered now Mutts, Chris O'Loughlin photographed in the directors box on Saturday and waiting in the wings :open_mouth: .
  • I am assuming everybody interested will have followed it on the internet.
    In the stands I met and chatted to the dad of the QPR 10 and also goalscorer Ede, and his best mate was there who plays for Phoenix and will play in the Kent Cup game.
    Jonathan Fortune was there, Damian Matthew, Tracey Leaburn, Karlan Aherne Grant, area other familiar faces. Did not see Keohane, Meire, Slade or even Sue Parkes even though there was free tea and coffee for the elite.
    Yet another great shift from Lapslie, Edwards, Konsa, Hannah and all the players generally although I still see Ba as a liability when he cocks up.
  • seth plum said:

I am assuming everybody interested will have followed it on the internet.
    In the stands I met and chatted to the dad of the QPR 10 and also goalscorer Ede, and his best mate was there who plays for Phoenix and will play in the Kent Cup game.
    Jonathan Fortune was there, Damian Matthew, Tracey Leaburn, Karlan Aherne Grant, area other familiar faces. Did not see Keohane, Meire, Slade or even Sue Parkes even though there was free tea and coffee for the elite.
    Yet another great shift from Lapslie, Edwards, Konsa, Hannah and all the players generally although I still see Ba as a liability when he cocks up.

Was Damian Matthew scouting for anyone or just here to see some of his former players?
  • dickplumb said:

If you looked at Ba closely he is always looking to play a killer pass. He has got good control and covers a lot of ground. Yes he gives the ball away occasionally but he is always trying for the more difficult pass instead of passing it sideways and backwards al la Foley.

From the stream I wholeheartedly agree. He seemed to find little pockets of space, pick his head up, and look to drive forward or play a forward pass. His passes also look crisp, which Diarra looked to be so good for.

I still think that on natural ability alone he'd at least be on the bench. I've always felt there's something of a very poor man's Yaya Toure about him. This was obviously a U23 game, and I can't speak to what he's like off the pitch, but the ability is certainly there, and I remain stubborn in my belief that it is the job of the manager to get the most out of his players.
  • dickplumb said:

If you looked at Ba closely he is always looking to play a killer pass. He has got good control and covers a lot of ground. Yes he gives the ball away occasionally but he is always trying for the more difficult pass instead of passing it sideways and backwards al la Foley.

Agree. Foley plays the percentages when he can be bothered, Ba takes more risks, trouble is I think his risks are too risky for the first team, and I think Foley's lack of vision is too negative.
    Oh for a fully formed and ready George Lapslie.
  • edited October 2016
    Ba tired 2nd half I think. His other attribute that he shares with Parker and Pritchard is that he is deceptionally quick across the ground in the tackle and often catches players dwelling on the ball. It is a tragedy that our turgid midfield cannot be boosted by him or Tex because of non-playing issues. It is not as though we are poised for promotion.
  • Ba tired 2nd half I think. His other attribute that he shares with Parker and Pritchard is that he is deceptionally quick across the ground in the tackle and often catches players dwelling on the ball. It is a tragedy that our turgid midfield cannot be boosted by him or Tex because of non-playing issues. It is not as though we are poised for promotion.

Fantastic word that, and a great way to describe him.

I'm going to push my "poor man's Yaya Toure" example again here. He has that little turn of pace that can catch people off guard.

Again, the issues with him don't seem to be on the field necessarily. But if all things were equal (and they were in pre-season when Slade decided he didn't fancy him), I think some good coaching could go a long way with him...
  • Didn't get there today but on the occasions i have seen the youngsters, Edwards is a tenacious Left back even if he could borrow half a stone from Luke Shaw.
    George Lapsie has a great engine and seems to be progressing.
    Charles-Cook made the squad early doors last season in the champ,
    But i'm still to be totally convinced.
    Lookman and Aribo impressed me early last season.
    The movement and support off the ball always seems better in the academy sides than the first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't able to watch it today but agree Edwards is a bit like Solly from what I've seen. Difference is rather than "he's too short" it'll be "he's too skinny". Every signing will then have to pass the Charlton Life Weight Test.
  • edited October 2016
    Good to hear a player scores when on trial.
    Josh Parker had some success last season ?

He won the couples, Come dine with Me. when on loan at Aberdeen.

Josh may be signed to be Russell's Personal chef ?

Unfortunately his loan at Aberdeen didn't go too well or his time at Red Star Belgrade.

Nosh Parker, i hope the other clubs were just for starters and he has the hunger and Appetite to beef up our attack. If so he may get his just deserts.
  • Enjoyed watching the stream and I thought we played some good stuff. Plenty of passing and movement.

I like Lapsie's dynamism in midfield - always on the move and looking to play a positive forward pass. Ba had a decent enough game for a player that's bound to be very rusty, given his lack of game time. He got caught in possession a couple of times and has a languid style, but can also play an incisive pass and run with the ball.
  • Who was the number 10, please?
  • Scoham said:

Wasn't able to watch it today but agree Edwards is a bit like Solly from what I've seen. Difference is rather than "he's too short" it'll be "he's too skinny". Every signing will then have to pass the Charlton Life Weight Test.

Can someone settle this, is Archie Edwards in fact left-footed? I could have sworn he was a Right Back converted to left back and has just done a really good job there.

Sorry if I'm wrong.
  • Left footed
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

Wasn't able to watch it today but agree Edwards is a bit like Solly from what I've seen. Difference is rather than "he's too short" it'll be "he's too skinny". Every signing will then have to pass the Charlton Life Weight Test.

Can someone settle this, is Archie Edwards in fact left-footed? I could have sworn he was a Right Back converted to left back and has just done a really good job there.

Sorry if I'm wrong.
    He's definitely a left back
  • Excellent! We need cover at left back
  • seth plum said:

Unfortunately not. Facebook seemed to require you to log on to watch and I don't have an account. Wonder what happened to using youtube?
  • cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Unfortunately not. Facebook seemed to require you to log on to watch and I don't have an account. Wonder what happened to using youtube?
    I also don't have access during 9-5 Monday to Friday, but I'd like to watch it back.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

You can watch on Facebook without having a Facebook account. This was the first time we have streamed a game on Facebook Live so we are seeing which is more popular, YouTube or Facebook.
  • Dazzler21 said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

I also don't have access during 9-5 Monday to Friday, but I'd like to watch it back.
    The stream once ended goes straight up on Facebook so you can find it there. We are also looking at pushing the whole game now onto YouTube
  • Dazzler21 said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Full game now on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p6RPxI56To
  • cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

You can watch on Facebook without having a Facebook account. This was the first time we have streamed a game on Facebook Live so we are seeing which is more popular, YouTube or Facebook.
    Thank you. But it kept chucking me out of the page, offering a log in pop up instead. Maybe me not understanding things?
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Thank you. But it kept chucking me out of the page, offering a log in pop up instead. Maybe me not understanding things?
    Here's the YouTube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p6RPxI56To
  • Have watched games before on my pad, but could not get this game up. I am an old git so probably me that just did not know what to do.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 5m5 minutes ago
    CHARLTON U23S | Maynard-Brewer, Lapslie, Edwards, Dijksteel, Carter, Bowry, Charles-Cook, Hackett-Fairchild, KAG, Kennedy, Umerah. #cafc
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 6m6 minutes ago
    CHARLTON U23S SUBS | Thomas, Zemura, Millar, Maloney, Yamfam. #cafc

No Mitov?
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 5m5 minutes ago
    CHARLTON U23S | Maynard-Brewer, Lapslie, Edwards, Dijksteel, Carter, Bowry, Charles-Cook, Hackett-Fairchild, KAG, Kennedy, Umerah. #cafc

Whats happened to Mitov?

i.e. I know Beeney is on loan at some Non-League side so surprised to see M-B play