Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bolton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    First time I have seen the team play, thanks to my dads free ticket for the fence.

Rudd-thought he looked assured. Not entirely sure what happened for their goal that led to him being so far out (looked away at the wrong moment obviously).

Defensively I thought we looked strong apart from a few headers they got in. Pearce is going to get a few bookings if he carries on with the constant pushes in the back.

Solly played well in midfield, although why loookman didn't come on then I have no idea.

Konsa looks promising, jumped straight up to get the second ball which is always good to see. Poor heading though.

Fox did well I thought.

Foley-meh

Crofts-put in a few good challenges but offers nothing going forward.

Holmes-we have a genuinely exciting player, he was everywhere and our only real attacking output until lookman came on.

Ajose and magennis-didnt get much service at all do hard to judge, but didn't do much with the little they did get. Jury is out.

Lookman-what an impetus he had when he came on, it really opened them up. Fantastically well taken goal. Maybe a penalty? Thought it would have been soft, would have to see it again.

Hanlan injected some pace when he came on and was involved in the goal (did he get an assist?).

Bolton didn't have much at all and we don't have much to worry about if they are the best this league has to offer. Did they have more than one shot on target? Ref should have handed out a few more cards.

All in all a promising team with a few additions and lookman starting.

Protest shirts looked great. Good support throughout, only one song for Roland out that I remember.

R Johnson isn't a fans favourite that's for sure, unless they were singing you're a Count?

Definitely in need of a few more through the door. Over to you Russell.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the game from the back of the east stand today having previously been in Lower West.

it was quite nice. Hadn't realised what a steep bank of seats it is.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Slade needs to explain why he did not replace Jacko with Lookman.

Does he? we seemed on top for most of the game and while we went a goal down, bringing him on against tired legs looked like a pretty good call.
    A player with Lookman's quality will produce against whoever he plays against at this level. We do not need to wait until the opposition are tired for him to make an impact!
    While I get that, today Slades substitute worked and made the desired impact.
  • Options
    Very happy and surprised with the point. Good goal by Lookman by all accounts - let's hope no scouts were watching him!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Played very well first half and should have gone in ahead. Heads dropped after the second half goal but we got ourselves back in.

How anyone can say we played badly is beyond me. Some of the unintelligent things I heard suggested from people behind me confirms how stupid the average football fan is. It's all black and white with some people; winning = played well, losing = terrible performance.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Does he? we seemed on top for most of the game and while we went a goal down, bringing him on against tired legs looked like a pretty good call.
    A player with Lookman's quality will produce against whoever he plays against at this level. We do not need to wait until the opposition are tired for him to make an impact!
    Yeah we do. Not for his sake, for the rest of the teams'. If we have both Lookman and Holmes start the game and for whatever reason they don't have the best of games and we need to change it up, we have to turn to... no-one. There's literally nothing else we can do except hope they play well.

Start with one and if he's not cutting it or gets tired out, then bring the other on and at the very worst we've swapped one attacking threat for another instead of our attacking threat being replaced by some creaky defensively minded crab.
  • Options

two points dropped. Why not bring on lookman? I was at the game and didn't notice hanlan come on let alone a missed header. I must have been looking at the cricket score

Ignore me, I thought he was the winger from Leeds
  • Options
    Jackson felt his hamstring so went off,
    Solly likes playing in midfield but says he only does so because there's "no one else to do it"!
    "They" want one or two More.

Club expecting lowest attendance ever/season on Tuesday with Southampton selling only 140 tickets , Charlton sold less!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have been very impressed with Konsa, Holmes and Solly ran their legs off but overall we are a little predictable and Bolton, big, strong and well organised will probably be in the top 4 at the end of the season. Have to agree with most lifers, woeful in midfield - lack of pace throughout - and the idea of pumping balls up to Ajose as a last resort when we should be playing him in on the floor is so bleedin' obvious...!
  • Options
    Some right doom monger shite on here
  • Options
    This was my first Charlton game this season. Compared to the dross I watched last season, I thought the first half we were far the better team. Bolton had only one chance worth the name which we got away with.
    Second half, by scoring virtually straight away they knocked the shape out of us. At this point I thought we would lose. However, the substitutions did the trick and we got back in the game. The equaliser was the minimum we deserved.
    Holmes looks a cracking player, everything positive came from him. I hope he doesn't get injured.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

jamescafc said:

Yeah we do. Not for his sake, for the rest of the teams'. If we have both Lookman and Holmes start the game and for whatever reason they don't have the best of games and we need to change it up, we have to turn to... no-one. There's literally nothing else we can do except hope they play well.

Start with one and if he's not cutting it or gets tired out, then bring the other on and at the very worst we've swapped one attacking threat for another instead of our attacking threat being replaced by some creaky defensively minded crab.
    Surely that means we need more overall quality in the squad? We can't keep one of our best players on the bench in case we need a plan b. We need a strong first team with players on the bench that offer something different or are capable of making an impact when things aren't going our way.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Jackson felt his hamstring so went off,
    Solly likes playing in midfield but says he only does so because there's "no one else to do it"!
    "They" want one or two More.

Club expecting lowest attendance ever/season on Tuesday with Southampton selling only 140 tickets , Charlton sold less!

I'm impressed Saints have even sold that many
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    Goals from the game, Konsa lost Trotter for the first (not trying to criticise, Konsa is a promising player), Lookman was a great strike for the second. @Alwaysneil

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/charlton-athletic/10554869/charlton-1-1-bolton
  • Options
    I thought we looked good for most of the match. Holmes superb for 70 minutes and Solly had a stormer. Enjoyed the game and thought Russell got it about right. Parky always was a good manager. However, Bolton are big and very experienced but lacking flair. We will win this league.....
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    vff said:

Glad to see Lookman's late equaliser rescue a point.

Johnnie Jackson is a great character but he is never going to last a whole season. No central midfield cover on the bench and Lookman is only being brought as a sub. Solly is a brilliant right back but is not a midfielder. There was also a scare with Fox fitness late on and the absence of left back cover doesn't allow him to rest. When will the lessons be learnt ?

I hope that the deals that are hopefully being negotiated for some quick / creative midfields at minium are finalised before the transfer window or else Charlton will be in trouble again due to a thin squad.

Something funny there @PragueAddick ?

What's laugh out loud / controversial about that comment, @bobcafc7 or is that just out of habit or for old times sake ?
  • Options
    I think you have got to give Parky some credit. After scoring they parked the bus and nearly got away with it. They also gave Holmes special attention which was compounded by a weak ref. Lookie came on and exposed the space they were leaving whilst trying to bash up Ricky. Well happy with that point against an in form team. Glad we clipped their wings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

I thought we looked good for most of the match. Holmes superb for 70 minutes and Solly had a stormer. Enjoyed the game and thought Russell got it about right. Parky always was a good manager. However, Bolton are big and very experienced but lacking flair. We will win this league.....

Being big and experienced goes a long way in this division. Bolton will definitely be amongst the title challengers
  • Options
    Sounds like a tough afternoon thus take the point. Keeps us in touch. Just the opening day defeat as a disappointment.
    Everyone's finding their feet. No-one expected us to hit the ground running in view of the injuries and movement.
    Glad with their negativity the trotters didn't take all 3 points. In the 2 games I've seen we seem lightweight and lack height.
    Need another away day to make up for the points.
  • Options
    Bolton's defence was excellent today I thought. Gave away nothing and it took the wee miracle man to get us out of jail.
  • Options
    Well done lads.
    Great stuff Looky - if it was up to me you would start every game and get a free role. Not bothered how many shots you have and whether they all go into row Z, you are a natural with the ball at your feet.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Like shit did he!!! Jacko got injured so bring on a defender. If it was lookman or the Leeds guy we would have won. Russ, if you set up not to win, you won't!
  • Options
    A hard fought point against a physical (and dirty) Bolton team, who did a classic away team performance of nicking a goal and then defending solidly until Lookman's excellent strike.

I can understand why Lookman didn't come on to replace Jackson, as we needed someone to play a more disciplined role. Lookman was dangerous in the last 15 because he had a fairly free role (like Holmes had).

Good to see Bauer back, though he can be a bit clumsy at times, he doesn't have the skill Tex has of taking man and ball, but not giving away a foul. Foley was fine to me, but I would have him as a replacement for Crofts, rather than a partner.

Holmes looked very dangerous, though his set pieces were poor. Ajose was very anonymous, he was a bit of a passenger today
  • Options

masicat said:

Like shit did he!!! Jacko got injured so bring on a defender. If it was lookman or the Leeds guy we would have won. Russ, if you set up not to win, you won't!
    Chill dude.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Only got my ticket late last night because i thought it would be after the Lord mayor show following the shrews 3-0 win.
    We are set up at home for Holmes to be the attacking midfielder the left winger and the right winger; and if he doesn't put in a 10 out of 10 performances we are struggling. After JJ's early departure we put on a CB,
    played a CB at RB and played a RB in Midfield ? I tipped us to lose because i thought Lookman would only get his 20 minutes because that is the agreement. 28 minutes was a bonus, but can u imagine if we had Holmes and Lookman attacking their slow Cb's for 60 minutes or more ?
    Bauer needed the game after being out for so long, Crofts or Foley, not both. if we don't bring in a centre mid with legs we will be Mid table in League 1. The next few days will decide that.
  • Options
    Bolton are an awful team to watch - very physical and make no attempt to pass the ball around but have a strong defence. Pumping high balls into the box was never going to work.
    Ref was weak and could have done more to stop some of the more physical challenges. We played okay in patches but lack creativity in midfield and we rarely threatened the Bolton goal.
    Think we'll finish top half but we need to improve in midfield to make the playoffs.
  • Options
    Very good performance gutted we didn't win as I thought we deserved it, should have put on an attacking player when JJ went off. CM is a must!! Foley is poor and crofts is ok, getting a CM in will be huge on where we finish IMO.