Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bolton - Post Match Views

12346»

Comments

• Options

Talk of Lookman being tired is ridiculous. He played a couple of games in July for England and he's hardly ever started for us . He's 18 not 38 .
    If he's knackered then he has a serious problem.

It's not about him being too tired to play, it's about using him correctly now so he's not too knackered in March, or burnt out when he's 25.

It's something Curbs used to get criticized for but he was largely very protective of our youngsters until they were 21 or 22.

As always, if it is was good enough for Curbs...
    As exemplified by Konchesky (debut 16) still playing at this level, and well from what I hear, at 35.

Parker still at Fulham too at 35/36.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Talk of Lookman being tired is ridiculous. He played a couple of games in July for England and he's hardly ever started for us . He's 18 not 38 .
    If he's knackered then he has a serious problem.

It's not about him being too tired to play, it's about using him correctly now so he's not too knackered in March, or burnt out when he's 25.

It's something Curbs used to get criticized for but he was largely very protective of our youngsters until they were 21 or 22.

As always, if it is was good enough for Curbs...
    As exemplified by Konchesky (debut 16) still playing at this level, and well from what I hear, at 35.

Parker still at Fulham too at 35/36.
    both playing walking football
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The BETDAQ advertising boards were blown on to the pitch yesterday by the west Stand.

What were the odds on that Happening ?

Yeah we watched that from the NE, drew our eyes to the BETDAQ boards halfway up the Covered End. They've clearly been "installed" by Delboys grandad. Glad I'm not sitting under them during the windy winter. Where there's blame, there's a claim...
  • Options
    The protest shirts looked good by the way. What was the significance of the 12 on the back of them?
  • Options
    the supporters are the 12th man helping the players on the pitch.
  • Options

In the 2 games I've seen we seem lightweight and lack height.

In the 45 years I've supported Charlton we've nearly always seemed lightweight and lacking height :-)
  • Options

I'd like to see Holmes and Lookman start together but given they do similar things, im not sure how that formation would look.

I thought Holmes was very effective in a central role, and less so out wide when Lookman came on.

I don't know either of them well enough to say. Any thoughts?

I don't recall Palace having to play either Bolasie or Zaha.
  • Options
    It was good to see Solly clear a certain goal off the line from a corner. I've been waiting since the Curbishley years for us to employ this goal saving tactic. It helped to keep us in The Prem for a number of years.
  • Options
    Covered End - Agree certainly for the past 16 years. At risk of stating obvious we must start winning homers as we'll be scratching for the play-offs come turn of year. If J J febrile what was the point in starting when every addick knows he is a superb sub. The enforced change probably cost the win as Slade would probably have brought on A L if not at h/t at least 15 mins earlier than he did.
  • Options
    Maybe being a bit optimistic here but Russell's choices could have been, at least in part, made to continue to highlight our woeful lack of midfield depth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Covered End - Agree certainly for the past 16 years. At risk of stating obvious we must start winning homers as we'll be scratching for the play-offs come turn of year. If J J febrile what was the point in starting when every addick knows he is a superb sub. The enforced change probably cost the win as Slade would probably have brought on A L if not at h/t at least 15 mins earlier than he did.

Slade was hoping Jacko would last 70/80 mins.
  • Options

Slade was hoping Jacko would last 70/80 mins.
    And we did win our previous two matches with Lookman on the bench, so it's not as if we've only been successful with him on the field
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

The protest shirts looked good by the way. What was the significance of the 12 on the back of them?

12th man..
  • Options
    I thought that but wondered if if was anything deeper.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Found this, although the illuminati have tried to supress it:

From the ancient times numbers were attributed to a mystical significance. It is a fact that ancient peoples fully knew the wonderful mysteries of numbers so that developed a whole science of numerical ideas, completely separate from mathematics.

The correlation of ancient beliefs about the numbers with the letters of the alphabet, planets with the stars, constellations and other astronomical sizes, exercised a form of divination. Although any number itself has its own separate symbolic and occult sense, the number Twelve (12) has a particular importance in the history and religion.

This number represents a full circle and was one of the most significant numbers in ancient cultures, having a direct and dependent relationship with the zodiacs as we as with the months of the year, whether were determined by a lunar or a solar calendar.

The sacredness of the number 12 appears to have originated from the ancient dozen system which was probably the unique numbering system in Neolithic era. The dozen, the separation of day and night in 12 hours and of year in 12 months, is a remnant of the prehistoric Dozen numbering system. The number 12 represents the 12 Hierarchies of ancient scripture which in their turn determined the 12 constellations of the zodiac cycle.

The Sumerian priests and astronomers were the first who divided the year into smaller units. So as their lunar year had twelve month of about 30 days each, their day had twelve units called Danna.

So we understand that the number 12 was a tool for dividing the flow of time, but we also know that dozens were related to the Signs of Zodiac.

As evidenced by the findings of the excavations, the solar year of 360 days divided in 12 months of 30 days each had been used since 2,400 BC. This is reflected in the Babylonian calendar, but only in the time of King Hammurabi (1955-1913 BC) uniformity in the calendar was imposed, and the months were given names that are used today paraphrased in the Jewish, Syrian and Lebanese calendar.

The ancient Egyptians divided the day in 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night. The 12 hours of the day were associated with the goddesses who brought in the sky the disc of the Sun, while the 12 hours of the night – with the goddesses who brought a star.

In China the Zodiac circle is represented by twelve animals, where each of them has a particular stellar influence on the year.
  • Options
    Well I'm buggered
  • Options
    sounds like a hard won point against a tough/dirty outfit ... get used to it, there are a lot of teams in this division who aint too fussed if they play the ball and/or the man
  • Options

Maybe being a bit optimistic here but Russell's choices could have been, at least in part, made to continue to highlight our woeful lack of midfield depth.

Didn't Slade say he put Bauer on in midfield to help counter Bolton's physical play and height ?

• Options
    I'm not sure did he say that?

I have heard him say the squad is thin and we need more players in. If he is putting Solly into midfield and playing Jackson with a tight hamstring and taking him off after 20 minutes, looks like the midfield is the area he wants to bolster?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016

I'm not sure did he say that?

I have heard him say the squad is thin and we need more players in. If he is putting Solly into midfield and playing Jackson with a tight hamstring and taking him off after 20 minutes, looks like the midfield is the area he wants to bolster?

The area he needs to bolster! I think we might need to go abroad as all the English clubs we might buy from will know how desperate we are or at least should be!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Didn't Slade say he put Bauer on in midfield to help counter Bolton's physical play and height ?

That was Walsall. Against Bolton Bauer played in central defence.
  • Options
    a draw against a side that will be in top 3 end of season isnt that bad and would of taken it before the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

a draw against a side that will be in top 3 end of season isnt that bad and would of taken it before the game.

I'm looking at our fixtures and trying to compare them with when we won the League.

On the basis of the Bury defeat I'd say that was similar to Leyton Orient away... the draw with Bolton was very similar to the draw with Sheffield Wednesday at the Valley around September / October time that season.

So we're not far off at the moment... I just see us losing more than five games this time round!!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

That was Walsall. Against Bolton Bauer played in central defence.
    Slade often tells quite a lot in his postmatch interviews.

Against Walsall, he said they had put on a late sub who had a free role in the hole behind their front 2 and he wasn't being picked up - so he put on Bauer for the last 10 to contest and close down the space and pick up the extra man.

Against Bolton, he said he put on Bauer in midfield to add height and physical presence, against a big physical Bolton side.
    Of course that meant we had a big man extra to defend set pieces in our box - but other than that Bauer did play in midfield.

It was Bauer on the halfway line who missed his tackle to set their LM free, leaving Konsa out of position losing his man and we conceded.
    In the build up play for Lookman's equaliser, there's Bauer already standing on the edge of the box.

• Options
    Bauer definitely wasnt in Midfield against Bolton... Konsa was out in the Right-Back slot and Bauer was staying tandem with Pearce... I felt that Bolton scored because Bauer made a rash decision and dragged himself out of position creating a gap for the pass.

Had Bauer not dived in to a pointless challenge then he'd have been back there to intercept the pass Madine scored from
  • Options
    There was a case for Bauer to start instead of Konsa, as Bolton are a big physical side

In other circumstances, R**** J******* could have done a job as well
  • Options
    If we have to play youth then we'll always concede goals like the first. Konsa at fault in losing his man/concentration. Not knocking him though, he's young and promising but learning. Would have been 3 points rather than 1...

Lookman should be playing more. Hopefully once the window 'slams shut' and we can no longer sell he'll be given more time.

Decent enough result, need a midfielder or 2. And a new owner.