Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:

A lot of negativity on here. Some analysis of where we are and where we should be is crap. We have had a solid start and we will improve.The team has goals in it and we have kept some players we thought would go. All positive and in my mind a promotion season under a solid if unspectacular manager.

Did you listen to Louis's wonderful commentary? Don't forget to ring RTM tomorrow evening
  • Options
    HandG said:

masicat said:

A lot of negativity on here. Some analysis of where we are and where we should be is crap. We have had a solid start and we will improve.The team has goals in it and we have kept some players we thought would go. All positive and in my mind a promotion season under a solid if unspectacular manager.

Top post in a increasingly depressing forum. Used to to love this site but feel its being hijacked.
    Hey ho though it is become what it is .COYR
    We just barely drew away at Fleetwood in League 1 and you think this forum is being 'hijacked' if people aren't cheerful about it? Jesus..
    To be fair we are unbeaten in five league games, most of which were against teams in form and we have scored late equalisers in the last two which, as well as making draws seem like victories, also show the character we have in our squad, a quality sorely lacking over the last few years. And we can get these ideas above our station about Fleetwood et al and how we have some divine right to beat them but the facts are we are in league one and so are they. Hell, Burton Albion in the league above us-should we be ashamed if they were to beat us?

I hate the regime and I hate that we're in this league but I am of the opinion that the team is at least heading in the right direction. I do think that the bigger picture blinds people some times and all these analyses about our 'predicament' after six games are ridiculous-we have 40 matches to go!!
    Oh I don't disagree, we're looking OK. We need to start getting more points in these positions - the last times we mounted promotion pushes to get out of this league we had a lot more point by now - but it's far from a disaster. I just think calling this forum depressing and saying it's been hijacked off the back of a disappointing draw is a bit much
  • Options

masicat said:

Top post in a increasingly depressing forum. Used to to love this site but feel its being hijacked.
    It's called watching the game live. If that's being negative with honest views on the game then so be it.
  • Options
    To be fair, I've seen us play well and win comfortably and there've been people slagging off the team standing around me. They all have midlife crises though
  • Options

Match stats from BBC (Charlton first)
    Poss 53 - 47
    Shots 14 - 14
    On target 6 - 6
    Corners 8 - 3
    Fouls 14 - 7.

From those stats you'd say a draw was a fair result.

I'll believe that fourteen shots if it includes lucky deflections and a shot so poor it left the side of the penalty box before it left the pitch. No way did we have that many decent efforts though. Six on target? Bloody hell, I must remember not to fall asleep in these matches, I had no idea it was that exciting.
  • Options

masicat said:

Were you there today? Our central midfield is non existent and time after time they and the defence gave the ball straight back to the opponents. Promotion on that form - you must be having a laugh
    What interests me is we've been pretty solid in Midfield as this is our worst result since Bury (the only other game we've conceded twice)...

Makes me wonder if Foley should have been dropped for Lookman?
    I thought the starting lineup looked a bit open, with Lookman and Ulvestad both starting in a tough away match

And yes, it's a tough match when you look at form, and not at crowds or "history"
  • Options
    If I was a Fleetwood fan I'd be disappointed, on the other hand the Wizard is quickly becoming my favourite player, he doesn't know what he's doing so the opposition don't stand a chance. Great man.
  • Options
    Anyway the Blackpool Illuminations were great, and I ate at Sid Little's restaurant, and got a photo with him, so a good day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our form so far this season can best be described as solid. I was personally worried, given the backdrop of the turmoil and upheaval at the club in the close season, that we might start the season very slowly indeed.

Lots of room for improvement, and I'll be disappointed if we don't see most of that room filled, but, given what might have happened, I'm happy with the start we've had.

Fucking shit to be in a position where we're aare even playing Fleetwood, let alone drawing with them, but it's where we are so no point dwelling on how it should be, rather we have to deal with how it is first.
  • Options
    We are playing Fleetwood because they have risen through the leagues to dizzy heights. In comparison, we are only one division below are "average " level.

An enjoyable away day, and much needed seeing that all the normal seaside rivals are in different divisions!
  • Options

The day I'm grateful for a draw at Fleetwood Town is the day I stop watching football.

To right mate! I'm still cross we drew
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7yMp7wzLY

In looking through Ajose's goals from open play last season, most are either a well played pass from midfield that puts him in behind on his own, or a good ball from the wide area that he latches onto. A fair few from six yards and in as well. Basically, he's a poacher. At this level that should be alright. But the problem is who is going to provide the defense splitting pass on the ground from central areas? And which of our wingers/overlapping fullbacks will put in quality crosses from wide areas? Maybe Botaka, but both Holmes and Lookman like to cut inside and shoot. I fear that Ajose is bound to look bad until we find a style that allows for at least one of the two.

Maybe we are too bigger club for him! No but there's another thing teams probably go to Swindon Town and attack more than they would playing us at the Valley, leaving more space to play balls in behind along the ground! Teams seem to come to the Valley put 10 men behind the ball and stop us playing such a pass! There's also a huge pressure on Ajose to score lots of goals he didn't have at Swindon, he didn't score many at Leeds but did at Peterborough when loaded out so I think he's struggling and hasn't really settled yet, we also don't play out and out attacking football which obviously I wish we did! Nicky Ajose will come good only been 6 games!.
  • Options
    Were there any protests, naughty banners on display, etc? It doesn't sound like the Fleetwood chairman would have behaved like his Walsall counterpart, but perhaps it didn't arise because there were no VIPs present to ask the Fleetwood security to intervene?
  • Options

HandG said:

masicat said:

We just barely drew away at Fleetwood in League 1 and you think this forum is being 'hijacked' if people aren't cheerful about it? Jesus..
    To be fair we are unbeaten in five league games, most of which were against teams in form and we have scored late equalisers in the last two which, as well as making draws seem like victories, also show the character we have in our squad, a quality sorely lacking over the last few years. And we can get these ideas above our station about Fleetwood et al and how we have some divine right to beat them but the facts are we are in league one and so are they. Hell, Burton Albion in the league above us-should we be ashamed if they were to beat us?

I hate the regime and I hate that we're in this league but I am of the opinion that the team is at least heading in the right direction. I do think that the bigger picture blinds people some times and all these analyses about our 'predicament' after six games are ridiculous-we have 40 matches to go!!
    Oh I don't disagree, we're looking OK. We need to start getting more points in these positions - the last times we mounted promotion pushes to get out of this league we had a lot more point by now - but it's far from a disaster. I just think calling this forum depressing and saying it's been hijacked off the back of a disappointing draw is a bit much
    Deep breath fella and chill, wally.
  • Options
    I haven't been to a game this year, but for those that have, is it time for Bauer/ Texeira?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If both are fit, of course it is time because both are better than Pearce and, at this moment, Konsa. That isn't to be critical of them, just a statement of fact!
  • Options
    First game of the season for me. Smart ground and friendly locals. Started off way too slowly and paid the price for being unable to win many second balls. Holmes looked lively and tried his best to set us up. Defence looked solid enough but have to question why we never closed the fella down for first goal and why Rudd was so easily beaten. Disappointed with Ajose and new new boy Ulvestad. Referee was an absolute disgrace playing one rule for Fleetwood and another set for us. Agreed with Slade that we could have had a pen for challenge on Magennis. Fox looked careless at times. A point in the end was a good result but had we have played with a bit more conviction we could have bagged a second away win. With 3 centre backs on the bench I'm not sure we have a balanced squad and unless we start to play to our potential then I'd forget promotion. How far is Kashi from full fitness? Special mention for Botaka who looked lively and changed our direction. Need much more like that to go up.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Rudd was beaten for the first because the pitch was heavily watered and the shot picked up pace along the ground. It zipped in. Defence was poor in the first half I thought through the middle. We need to forget the size of the club and appreciate that Fleetwood will be one of the hardest places to visit for teams this season. In that context, a draw was a good result. But what disapointed me, was our team on paper is very strong and we haven't maximised that yet. But in a way, whilst disapointing, it is a positive. The negative is, our undynamic midfield may be contributory factor. With the window shut, Slade is going to have to sort that one out with what he has got. I think we are currently a dynamic box to box player away from automatic promotion! Shame! I think play offs are likely though and if we keep going, we can fix in January.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Not much mention of Lookman in this thread. Did he play? If so how did he do? If not, why not?

There was a Palarse scout at the match yesterday, don't want him playing well, when these people are about.
  • Options
    There was a little taster in the second half where he glided past three of their players from the half way line. it was almost balletic. I want him playing centre forward.
  • Options
    Their first goal took a slight deflection, think Rudd may have got it, if it hadn't.
    Their second had a bit of og from us, giving it to them seconds before with wrong goal, wrong goal.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

DA9 said:

Went in the fleetwood clubhouse afterwards, met their chairmen Andy Billey, he bought us all a beer, top fella and had a great chat with some of their fans. Top club

...and if you must have goal music, the best ever wouldn't you say?
    All goal music is cringeworthy.
  • Options
    masicat said:

A lot of negativity because yesterday's performance wasn't very good. Yes, we got a point, but for large parts of the game we were second best.
  • Options

Not much mention of Lookman in this thread. Did he play? If so how did he do? If not, why not?

Did well in patches - surprisingly was spoken to several times by the referee about fouls, eventually resulting in the ref calling over Solly as captain to have a word. Or at least that was how I interpreted it.
    That's how I saw it, except I wasn't surprised he was spoken to. None of the fouls was malicious but it was persistent foul play and another ref could have booked him.