Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

@MountsfieldPark asked about protests/ banners. The Roland out flag was hung at the back of the little stand behind the goal. It was fully visible before the game. After 28 mins I noticed that the bottom right corner was hooked up, hiding all but ROL. Don't know how this came about. By half - time it was fully visible again.

There were a few protest shirts but also a number of this season official replicas. I can understand why people want to buy season tickets but I have no idea why people would buy new stuff from the shop. However, they were generally big fat bald blokes so I decided not to ask why...

There were no protest songs but overall crowd was very quiet. First half managed one VFR, yippee-i-ay and Goodbye Horse. Second half only a solitary VFR. I was most disappointed that we didn't do our own rendition of Captain Pugwash when we scored...

Agreed, the atmosphere was very poor. I wonder if it's the Man Utd effect of us turning up and expecting to turnover teams like Fleetwood with ease.

I heard Jurgen Klopp's post match interview on Talksport on the way home and he spoke about football not being like the theatre and that fans have a job to do, just like the players. Fans creating no or a poor atmosphere can swing a game given how fine the margins are these days.

I suspect a number of fans were able to identify KM wasn't at the game hence the lack of protest songs.
    Yes, some of the comments on this thread about it being embarrassing that we can't beat teams like Fleetwood are veering dangerously close to Sheffield Wednesday Massive talk :smile:
    Agree. Were are in this division for a reason - we weren't good enough for the one above. Fleetwood are in it for another reason, they were too good for the division below. We may be disappointed and angry at being in tier three (it was, after all, quite avoidable), but we don't have some god given right to be in a higher division and we shouldn't be sneery towards other clubs who are playing at this level.
    We are in this division because we got rid of players like Kermorgant, Stephens and Morrison and replaced them with the likes of Polish Pete, Ba and Roger Johnson. We are in this division because we've employed five useless managers in 2 years. We are in this division because of the gross mismanagement of Duchatalet, Meire and Murray. We've had the heart ripped out of our club, the piss taken out of our supporters and yet I'm supposed to be grateful for a point at Fleetwood Town.
    Fuck 'em, I want these arseholes out of our club and start again with some people in charge who understand football, appreciate the history of our proud club and don't treat our loyal fanbase as morons.

But that's a separate issue. A point at Fleetwood is a reasonable result, they are a good team and full of confidence. The Powell promotion team would have struggled to beat them yesterday. Even if RD and KM had sold the club to Peter Varney in the summer, a point would have been a decent result yesterday!
    Disagree the Powell team would not have been overrun in midfield and would have got a draw as a minimum and would have stood a better chance of the the full three points IMO.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

@MountsfieldPark asked about protests/ banners. The Roland out flag was hung at the back of the little stand behind the goal. It was fully visible before the game. After 28 mins I noticed that the bottom right corner was hooked up, hiding all but ROL. Don't know how this came about. By half - time it was fully visible again.

There were a few protest shirts but also a number of this season official replicas. I can understand why people want to buy season tickets but I have no idea why people would buy new stuff from the shop. However, they were generally big fat bald blokes so I decided not to ask why...

There were no protest songs but overall crowd was very quiet. First half managed one VFR, yippee-i-ay and Goodbye Horse. Second half only a solitary VFR. I was most disappointed that we didn't do our own rendition of Captain Pugwash when we scored...

Agreed, the atmosphere was very poor. I wonder if it's the Man Utd effect of us turning up and expecting to turnover teams like Fleetwood with ease.

I heard Jurgen Klopp's post match interview on Talksport on the way home and he spoke about football not being like the theatre and that fans have a job to do, just like the players. Fans creating no or a poor atmosphere can swing a game given how fine the margins are these days.

I suspect a number of fans were able to identify KM wasn't at the game hence the lack of protest songs.
    Yes, some of the comments on this thread about it being embarrassing that we can't beat teams like Fleetwood are veering dangerously close to Sheffield Wednesday Massive talk :smile:
    Agree. Were are in this division for a reason - we weren't good enough for the one above. Fleetwood are in it for another reason, they were too good for the division below. We may be disappointed and angry at being in tier three (it was, after all, quite avoidable), but we don't have some god given right to be in a higher division and we shouldn't be sneery towards other clubs who are playing at this level.
    We are in this division because we got rid of players like Kermorgant, Stephens and Morrison and replaced them with the likes of Polish Pete, Ba and Roger Johnson. We are in this division because we've employed five useless managers in 2 years. We are in this division because of the gross mismanagement of Duchatalet, Meire and Murray. We've had the heart ripped out of our club, the piss taken out of our supporters and yet I'm supposed to be grateful for a point at Fleetwood Town.
    Fuck 'em, I want these arseholes out of our club and start again with some people in charge who understand football, appreciate the history of our proud club and don't treat our loyal fanbase as morons.

But that's a separate issue. A point at Fleetwood is a reasonable result, they are a good team and full of confidence. The Powell promotion team would have struggled to beat them yesterday. Even if RD and KM had sold the club to Peter Varney in the summer, a point would have been a decent result yesterday!
    Disagree the Powell team would not have been overrun in midfield and would have got a draw as a minimum and would have stood a better chance of the the full three points IMO.
    No team wins every game, and while the Powell team was stronger in midfield and up front, the Slade team has more threat in wide areas now.
  • Options

Just got home (Norwich) after a night in Blackpool. Lights quite impressive but boy, what a god awful hole!

Anyway, the game. Quite impressed with Fleetwood, especially first half. They knocked it about well, we're very quick, neat and tidy, and were everything Charlton weren't in that first 45 minutes. The long ball lumping it up the field was tiresome.

Much improved second half and probably just deserved a draw. Magennis a real handful at this level and Lookman looked sharp. Substitutions inspirational and the fella from Leeds will be a hit.

As for Fleetwood FC. Full credit to the club. Very hospitable and a real good vibe about the place making it a great away trip. The club cat with one ear was also really friendly!

Our 'SMT' could learn so much from them about the 'customer experience' etc. Good luck with that though!

Missed the cat, damn!

Nice place to visit, though weird to approach a ground with so little sign of football around it, a complete lack of the usual highly visible traffic controls, vendors etc
  • Options
    edited September 2016

RedChaser said:

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

No team wins every game, and while the Powell team was stronger in midfield and up front, the Slade team has more threat in wide areas now.
    Hang on you said that the Powell team would have struggled to beat Fleetwood, I never said his team would have beaten them just that they would have had a better chance because they wouldn't have been overrun in midfield!

I am fully aware that the Powell and Slade teams are very different in their make up, for a start we had an attacking threat from left back under CP!

Are you a closet Fleetwood fan or something?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Leuth said:

To be fair, I've seen us play well and win comfortably and there've been people slagging off the team standing around me. They all have midlife crises though

Oi! Enough already with the ageist crap.
    The word you are looking for is morons and they come in all ages and they have always been around. :smile:
    Reclaim the phrase "midlife crisis" and be proud. I am currently growing my fringe of hair and intend to have a single dreadlock growing from about halfway down the back of my head where the bald patch stops, and I am going to reopen the piercings I took out 15 years ago...Fuck the lot of you!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I haven't been to a game this year, but for those that have, is it time for Bauer/ Texeira?

That's a damn good question. Tex wasn't sold in the window, so why not play him?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

wmcf123 said:

I haven't been to a game this year, but for those that have, is it time for Bauer/ Texeira?

That's a damn good question. Tex wasn't sold in the window, so why not play him?
    I like Tex but three things immediately spring to mind 1) Is he match fit 2) Is his head in the right place 3) Does the Manager prefer to plan longer term without him?

Only big Russ knows the answers, maybe @LouisMend can ask the question at the next opportune moment if he hasn't done so already.
  • Options

Botaka did very well when he came on, in contrast to his previous appearance. Looked a handful against a tiring defence. Felt we might have pushed on after equalising but we were knocked back by their second and a bit lucky to get the point although all three subs were involved in it, which has to be a credit for Slade.

Fewer than 3,000 home fans in the ground though - that is the measure of where we are. Non-league ground but friendly club. Meire didn't make it.

Wow , is she on a boycott as well Airman?
  • Options

First away game of the season and like many other first visit to Fleetwood. Friendly club, good stewards and nice to stand at a match. Thought we were not at the races 1st half with Fleetwood dominating & taking a deserved lead at half time. Crofts and Norway Fred not doing enough to get on the ball or close down. Bit better second half finishing the stronger (especially with Novak and the lad from Congo) and on the whole just about deserved a point.

The middle of midfield remains a big concern for me. Would like to see Bauer back in the team. Holmes continues to be our only constant threat going forward but was impressed with the impact that Jordan made when he came on. Expect us to make the top 6 at least with this squad but will struggle when injuries/suspensions occur.

Nice to see a lot of similar faces throughout the day. @Arsenetatters lovely to speak with you on the train on the way back to London with Clive.

Good to put a CL name to a face @Amos on the wing
    Some here, @Arsenetatters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

I like Tex but three things immediately spring to mind 1) Is he match fit 2) Is his head in the right place 3) Does the Manager prefer to plan longer term without him?

Only big Russ knows the answers, maybe @LouisMend can ask the question at the next opportune moment if he hasn't done so already.
    Last we heard, right at the start of the season, Tex was having trouble with his hamstring. Hopefully he hasn't been frozen out of training meaning he'll need to start from scratch. The notion of having a talented player on the books but not playing him because of "planning for the future" sounds ludicrous to me. I know that players get their heads turned, and it seems that both Tex wanted to leave and the club wanted him to leave, but he's here for the next few months and the best thing for everyone involved would be for him to play.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

Last we heard, right at the start of the season, Tex was having trouble with his hamstring. Hopefully he hasn't been frozen out of training meaning he'll need to start from scratch. The notion of having a talented player on the books but not playing him because of "planning for the future" sounds ludicrous to me. I know that players get their heads turned, and it seems that both Tex wanted to leave and the club wanted him to leave, but he's here for the next few months and the best thing for everyone involved would be for him to play.
    Don't disagree, trouble is we don't pick the team :wink:.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

I'd argue that's what's keeping us from the top of the league at the moment ;)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

I wouldn't have put Foley on yesterday and we probably wouldn't have scored :open_mouth:

The more I think about it we almost played a 4 2 4 so no wonder the midfield were left wanting. Presumably when Holmes went forward Lookman was meant to fill in and vice versa. Can't say it worked that well first half though.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

I wouldn't have put Foley on yesterday and we probably wouldn't have scored :open_mouth:

The more I think about it we almost played a 4 2 4 so no wonder the midfield were left wanting. Presumably when Holmes went forward Lookman was meant to fill in and vice versa. Can't say it worked that well first half though.
    I think it needs to be shifted to a 4-2-3-1 with an element of pressing introduced. A 4-2-3-1 would allow Lookie, Holmes, and an other (Mcgennis, Botaka, Novak) to interchange behind a striker. Novak has played wide in the past, as has Mcgennis, and both are of course also comfortable playing through the middle. Sometimes bringing players back can create more space going forward. Giving the wide players more freedom would also make them more difficult to mark, and might help introduce creativity into the center of the pitch, which we desperately lack.

The trade off for that would have to be a pressing game. Fox, Konsa, and Bauer (who I'd start personally) are all good in the air and Konsa and Solly have recovery pace should something go wrong.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

Hang on you said that the Powell team would have struggled to beat Fleetwood, I never said his team would have beaten them just that they would have had a better chance because they wouldn't have been overrun in midfield!

I am fully aware that the Powell and Slade teams are very different in their make up, for a start we had an attacking threat from left back under CP!

No, just pointing out that Fleetwood away would be a tough match for all our recent sides as they are a good team, full of confidence

• Options
    edited September 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

No, just pointing out that Fleetwood away would be a tough match for all our recent sides as they are a good team, full of confidence

I know I do get your drift :wink: .
  • Options

masicat said:

A lot of negativity on here. Some analysis of where we are and where we should be is crap. We have had a solid start and we will improve.The team has goals in it and we have kept some players we thought would go. All positive and in my mind a promotion season under a solid if unspectacular manager.

Were you there today? Our central midfield is non existent and time after time they and the defence gave the ball straight back to the opponents. Promotion on that form - you must be having a laugh
    Come on then fella. I'm sick of this negativity. I will give £500 to the upbeats if we don't finish top 6. You match that if we do?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    why are we unable to form a decent midfield?? for years our midfield has been f**ing shocking..... Its been years since i can remember a midfield of ours being able to out pass and out play teams on a consitant basis. IT REALLY CANT BE THAT HARD TO GET DECENT CENTRE MIDFIELD BALL PLAYERS
  • Options
    We are a gelling team...we will be up there and fighting for promotion...cafc to I die
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, that is a poor match report - back stick this, left stick that.

As for the picture, I've seen better taken on a mobile phone.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

If the plan is to sell him, then surely he needs to be playing so any potential buyer can see that he fits the bill? Win win as we'd have a solid defender helping our cause. Again, just highlights the absolute mess we're in. Weird Huh?

• Options

Blimey, that is a poor match report - back stick this, left stick that.

As for the picture, I've seen better taken on a mobile phone.
    I won't disagree, but at least it does report events in the game.
  • Options
    I'm holding judgement on this team until we at least get the first ten games out of the way. The reason being that our pre season was basically a waste of time and actually began at Bury. We are making up for lost time, but most importantly, we are not losing to some of the top sides whilst doing so. Yes we lack that creative box to box midfielder, but with the likes of Lookman, Holmes and Botaka in the squad, we may be able to compensate.
  • Options
    we need to be more clynical and win games a point is well and good in the championship when we are trying to survive but no good in a league where i think anything other than playoffs is a failure.
  • Options

I'm holding judgement on this team until we at least get the first ten games out of the way. The reason being that our pre season was basically a waste of time and actually began at Bury. We are making up for lost time, but most importantly, we are not losing to some of the top sides whilst doing so. Yes we lack that creative box to box midfielder, but with the likes of Lookman, Holmes and Botaka in the squad, we may be able to compensate.

This is a good point. I'd add Magennis to that. I would be amazed if any other side has better.
  • Options
    We started really slow & lethargic, compared to Fleetwood and it wasn't a great surprise when we fell behind.

It was a surprise to me when we got the equaliser and I was hoping we'd go on to win the game.

However, we got caught cold once again, in the 2nd half & it looked like Fleetwood would hold on reasonably comfortably.

Botaka coming on at the end changed the game, as he was terrorising them. We piled on the pressure, equalised and possibly would have won it, if it had gone on for another 5 mins.

We just about deserved a point on the basis that we could bring on a player with Botaka's quality.

I'm happy with a barely deserved point, but we're showing no signs of ending up in the automatics and the best we can hope for is the play offs.