Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

Football was poor. It appears the big hitters have started to put form together in league 1.

Bolton / Millwall / Bradford have all drawn their last two... Same as us...?

If we hadnt lost against against Bury we'd be up there with them... thats how tight it is
    And we've got a game in hand albeit away to Scunthorpe who are flying at the moment.
    Technically as well we've played 1st | 2nd | 3rd in quick succession with Bolton / Scunthorpe / Fleetwood.

Nothing to worry about yet and when you throw the Walsall win in there too I'm happy with the five points in those three games, especially as we can so easily have lost our last two... Means this squad wont accept defeat until the FT whistle, something we've not seen for a few years
    Slade has talked a lot about this in pressers, and it's definitely a good thing and a welcome change. But, correct me if I'm wrong, we've taken the lead first in matches only twice, and oftentimes it feels like we only really get going once we've conceded and are chasing the game.

AB's point is a good one, and sizing up this league is something I've really struggled with. It feels like there's a lot more parody than the last time we were here. That also means that it's missing the real standout teams like Southampton, Sheff Wed, Hudds, etc. The concerns around midfield and how we are in possession makes me wonder if we're a team set up to dominate and take the game to teams, because I'm not entirely convinced we are. And if we're not, that's going to make it difficult to finish top six in just about any league.

Parity, surely!

Beyond parity?

No, he means parody, and he's right, as in "Charlton Athletic are a parody of a well-run football club".
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Doing a Seth & PWR after 6 hours on the road, so a short & sweet summary from a fagging Fanny.

Our journey north on Friday morning took a mere 8.5 hours so a point was the least we expected from the lads following our gallant effort.

Another "meh" performance IMO with few highlights & opportunities for the faithful to leap to their feet. Nevertheless, our support was good, if not the loudest.

Once again, lots of long balls to Macca & AJ which on the whole proved a waste of time , especially when directed at the latter. I remain unimpressed with our Swindon purchase and his substitution in the 2nd half was no surprise. Of course it's still early days as I'm constantly reminded & I'd love the player to prove me wrong, but there's something missing in his game for me ....possibly his work rate as well as his reluctance to hit the target ?

Not for the first time,our standout player who has already become a firm favourite for obvious reasons, is Ricky Holmes, our latest Duracell Bunny in the Kinsella mould. "Never give up" would appear to be his mantra - a quality we'd like to see from more of our team. Too often this afternoon, we saw our Purple Ronnies watch as a ball passed a couple of yards from them , as if turned to stone - maybe the laundry lady is putting too much starch in their shorts !

Fleetwood are a difficult team to play with a combination of skill & desire to win every ball being an attribute we've witnessed from the opposition thus far in this league. And although our gaffer appears to have brought in HIS choice of players with experience of this level of football, I feel the squad is somewhat lacking in the mentality required to compete against these hard working sides with a point to make against the once mighty Addicks. But what do I know.....

So, 2 more goals for the plus column but also 2 in the minus. Mutterings were , well, muttered, from the away seats when the Cod Army's goals were scored, with some wondering whether our 'keeper should have done better. However, having witnessed the "weird" performance of Joe Hart's replacement earlier, I'm saying nothing.

3 points on Black & White Day next Saturday will do nicely , thank you but a couple of players ( who shall remain nameless ) would do well to raise their game in front of the home crowd. What is a concern as others I'm sure will have indicated again today, is the lack of fit bodies available to contest the places in midfield which appears still to be the weakest area for us. A pair of magical healing hands for a certain Mr Kashi certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Time now to help Mr F up the apples & pears if I can wake him up that is. Another weekend dedicated to "the cause" takes it's toll, but we wouldn't have it any other way..... would we ?

I hope you were flagging rather than fagging!

Top post, by the way. It's a 'like' from me.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7yMp7wzLY

In looking through Ajose's goals from open play last season, most are either a well played pass from midfield that puts him in behind on his own, or a good ball from the wide area that he latches onto. A fair few from six yards and in as well. Basically, he's a poacher. At this level that should be alright. But the problem is who is going to provide the defense splitting pass on the ground from central areas? And which of our wingers/overlapping fullbacks will put in quality crosses from wide areas? Maybe Botaka, but both Holmes and Lookman like to cut inside and shoot. I fear that Ajose is bound to look bad until we find a style that allows for at least one of the two.

I think he's got a twin brother. The scorer from last season is putting his feet up on a Caribbean island whilst his twin runs around looking crap and splits the montly pay cheque.
  • Options

Not much mention of Lookman in this thread. Did he play? If so how did he do? If not, why not?

Did well in patches - surprisingly was spoken to several times by the referee about fouls, eventually resulting in the ref calling over Solly as captain to have a word. Or at least that was how I interpreted it.
    That's how I saw it, except I wasn't surprised he was spoken to. None of the fouls was malicious but it was persistent foul play and another ref could have booked him.
    By "surprisingly", I really meant that Lookman isn't a player you'd expect to need to be pulled up in this way rather than that the referee was wrong.
  • Options

Not much mention of Lookman in this thread. Did he play? If so how did he do? If not, why not?

Did well in patches - surprisingly was spoken to several times by the referee about fouls, eventually resulting in the ref calling over Solly as captain to have a word. Or at least that was how I interpreted it.
    That's how I saw it, except I wasn't surprised he was spoken to. None of the fouls was malicious but it was persistent foul play and another ref could have booked him.
    By "surprisingly", I really meant that Lookman isn't a player you'd expect to need to be pulled up in this way rather than that the referee was wrong.
    And it was strange to call the captain over before a first booking, it's the sort of thing you normally do when someone is close to getting a second yellow
  • Options
    @MountsfieldPark asked about protests/ banners. The Roland out flag was hung at the back of the little stand behind the goal. It was fully visible before the game. After 28 mins I noticed that the bottom right corner was hooked up, hiding all but ROL. Don't know how this came about. By half - time it was fully visible again.

There were a few protest shirts but also a number of this season official replicas. I can understand why people want to buy season tickets but I have no idea why people would buy new stuff from the shop. However, they were generally big fat bald blokes so I decided not to ask why...

There were no protest songs but overall crowd was very quiet. First half managed one VFR, yippee-i-ay and Goodbye Horse. Second half only a solitary VFR. I was most disappointed that we didn't do our own rendition of Captain Pugwash when we scored...
  • Options

@MountsfieldPark asked about protests/ banners. The Roland out flag was hung at the back of the little stand behind the goal. It was fully visible before the game. After 28 mins I noticed that the bottom right corner was hooked up, hiding all but ROL. Don't know how this came about. By half - time it was fully visible again.

There were a few protest shirts but also a number of this season official replicas. I can understand why people want to buy season tickets but I have no idea why people would buy new stuff from the shop. However, they were generally big fat bald blokes so I decided not to ask why...

There were no protest songs but overall crowd was very quiet. First half managed one VFR, yippee-i-ay and Goodbye Horse. Second half only a solitary VFR. I was most disappointed that we didn't do our own rendition of Captain Pugwash when we scored...

Yeah the atmosphere was a bit poor, and we can't blame having to sit down either! Maybe the poor start blunted it
  • Options
    First away game of the season and like many other first visit to Fleetwood. Friendly club, good stewards and nice to stand at a match. Thought we were not at the races 1st half with Fleetwood dominating & taking a deserved lead at half time. Crofts and Norway Fred not doing enough to get on the ball or close down. Bit better second half finishing the stronger (especially with Novak and the lad from Congo) and on the whole just about deserved a point.

The middle of midfield remains a big concern for me. Would like to see Bauer back in the team. Holmes continues to be our only constant threat going forward but was impressed with the impact that Jordan made when he came on. Expect us to make the top 6 at least with this squad but will struggle when injuries/suspensions occur.

Nice to see a lot of similar faces throughout the day. @Arsenetatters lovely to speak with you on the train on the way back to London with Clive.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

First away game of the season and like many other first visit to Fleetwood. Friendly club, good stewards and nice to stand at a match. Thought we were not at the races 1st half with Fleetwood dominating & taking a deserved lead at half time. Crofts and Norway Fred not doing enough to get on the ball or close down. Bit better second half finishing the stronger (especially with Novak and the lad from Congo) and on the whole just about deserved a point.

The middle of midfield remains a big concern for me. Would like to see Bauer back in the team. Holmes continues to be our only constant threat going forward but was impressed with the impact that Jordan made when he came on. Expect us to make the top 6 at least with this squad but will struggle when injuries/suspensions occur.

Nice to see a lot of similar faces throughout the day. @Arsenetatters lovely to speak with you on the train on the way back to London with Clive.

Good to put a CL name to a face @Amos on the wing
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Six games to get the excuses about gelling and bedding in out of our system. The seventh game is the trip to The New Den.

I'm expecting a team capable and looking to win to turn up and for once I don't mean Millwall. Anything less than a 100% performance and we know the outcome.

Slade has a squad at least as good as Harris. He ought not be out thunk by a manager in his infancy. We shall see.
  • Options
    Was it announced how many we had there?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Not that I heard but I'd guess at 400ish give or take 100.
  • Options

33xx I can't remember the last two figures.
  • Options

Agreed, the atmosphere was very poor. I wonder if it's the Man Utd effect of us turning up and expecting to turnover teams like Fleetwood with ease.

I heard Jurgen Klopp's post match interview on Talksport on the way home and he spoke about football not being like the theatre and that fans have a job to do, just like the players. Fans creating no or a poor atmosphere can swing a game given how fine the margins are these days.

I suspect a number of fans were able to identify KM wasn't at the game hence the lack of protest songs.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

To be fair, I've seen us play well and win comfortably and there've been people slagging off the team standing around me. They all have midlife crises though

Oi! Enough already with the ageist crap.
    The word you are looking for is morons and they come in all ages and they have always been around. :smile:
  • Options
    So Katrien wasn't there.
    The only excuse I can think of for her would be illness or an emergency, possibly a family emergency.
    If Katrien was ill, or otherwise needed in a crisis situation I wish her well.

However if it was another holiday in Dubai type of situation it would be, to use deputy Sue Parkes term, 'disgusting'. If she was fit and well and undistracted then Katrien should have been there, there is no justification not to be.

Maybe though Katrien is now fed up with playing CEO's and hunky footballers, and wants to move on to playing D-list celebrity and opening new branches of Aldi's in Swanley and Tottenham.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7yMp7wzLY

In looking through Ajose's goals from open play last season, most are either a well played pass from midfield that puts him in behind on his own, or a good ball from the wide area that he latches onto. A fair few from six yards and in as well. Basically, he's a poacher. At this level that should be alright. But the problem is who is going to provide the defense splitting pass on the ground from central areas? And which of our wingers/overlapping fullbacks will put in quality crosses from wide areas? Maybe Botaka, but both Holmes and Lookman like to cut inside and shoot. I fear that Ajose is bound to look bad until we find a style that allows for at least one of the two.

I think he's got a twin brother. The scorer from last season is putting his feet up on a Caribbean island whilst his twin runs around looking crap and splits the montly pay cheque.
    Ah, you've read the Philip Kerr book....
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Love the second article from Slade... Too often we've had loanees coming into the club who havent cared (I dont mean just under the Roland regime yet under Pardew as well)... Yet now we've got Slade who is basically saying: I dont care if you're coming from a Premier League club, if you dont play better, your not playing at all!!
  • Options
    Thats a good result; not many teams will go to Fleetwood and come away with a point. Fleetwood will be top six
  • Options

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

Agreed, the atmosphere was very poor. I wonder if it's the Man Utd effect of us turning up and expecting to turnover teams like Fleetwood with ease.

I heard Jurgen Klopp's post match interview on Talksport on the way home and he spoke about football not being like the theatre and that fans have a job to do, just like the players. Fans creating no or a poor atmosphere can swing a game given how fine the margins are these days.

I suspect a number of fans were able to identify KM wasn't at the game hence the lack of protest songs.
    Yes, some of the comments on this thread about it being embarrassing that we can't beat teams like Fleetwood are veering dangerously close to Sheffield Wednesday Massive talk :smile:
    Agree. Were are in this division for a reason - we weren't good enough for the one above. Fleetwood are in it for another reason, they were too good for the division below. We may be disappointed and angry at being in tier three (it was, after all, quite avoidable), but we don't have some god given right to be in a higher division and we shouldn't be sneery towards other clubs who are playing at this level.
    We are in this division because we got rid of players like Kermorgant, Stephens and Morrison and replaced them with the likes of Polish Pete, Ba and Roger Johnson. We are in this division because we've employed five useless managers in 2 years. We are in this division because of the gross mismanagement of Duchatalet, Meire and Murray. We've had the heart ripped out of our club, the piss taken out of our supporters and yet I'm supposed to be grateful for a point at Fleetwood Town.
    Fuck 'em, I want these arseholes out of our club and start again with some people in charge who understand football, appreciate the history of our proud club and don't treat our loyal fanbase as morons.

Absolutely spot on mate
  • Options

Stig said:

jamescafc said:

Yes, some of the comments on this thread about it being embarrassing that we can't beat teams like Fleetwood are veering dangerously close to Sheffield Wednesday Massive talk :smile:
    Agree. Were are in this division for a reason - we weren't good enough for the one above. Fleetwood are in it for another reason, they were too good for the division below. We may be disappointed and angry at being in tier three (it was, after all, quite avoidable), but we don't have some god given right to be in a higher division and we shouldn't be sneery towards other clubs who are playing at this level.
    We are in this division because we got rid of players like Kermorgant, Stephens and Morrison and replaced them with the likes of Polish Pete, Ba and Roger Johnson. We are in this division because we've employed five useless managers in 2 years. We are in this division because of the gross mismanagement of Duchatalet, Meire and Murray. We've had the heart ripped out of our club, the piss taken out of our supporters and yet I'm supposed to be grateful for a point at Fleetwood Town.
    Fuck 'em, I want these arseholes out of our club and start again with some people in charge who understand football, appreciate the history of our proud club and don't treat our loyal fanbase as morons.

what he said.