Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How long does Slade get?

Comments

• Options
    Alan C said on Goal Rush last night "that the owners have big decision to make"
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Alan C said on Goal Rush last night "that the owners have big decision to make"

What decisions do they need to make though because they don't care about results, they don't care about the clubs reputation.

There is only one decision that needs to be made but it won't happen.
  • Options

he was the wrong man for the job in the first place. If the real ambition was promotion then why appoint someone who in 20 years of management has never got a team promoted. It was lip service to appease the fans and a few have fallen for it. When he fails then they can blame the fans. It doesn't matter who is in charge under this regime as we are going nowhere, except maybe down. Sack him, don't sack him, won't make a difference and I don't give a shit anyway.

Absolutely correct, he wasn't even the first Englishman we wanted. We set our sights on head hunting the Northampton manager. Says it all about the ambitions of our club these days.
    I don't see us 3 points off the playoffs more like 3 points off second bottom. I expect the most mediocre season, one where we don't challenge either end.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    How long will be get? Probably a fair while - at least as long as the buffet line has to wait for the fat bastard to load his plate up with lasagne at the training ground canteen.
  • Options
    From what I've read and people I've spoken, it seems football is a very small world and for that reason I see no reason why any good British manager would come anywhere near us at the moment. Stuart Pearce said similar on Talksport a few weeks ago when discussing how surprised he was that a decent manager like Monk too the Leeds jobs. I am not a fan of Slade but think he's the best we'll attract and deserves at least one full season.
  • Options
    It's a hard one this.
    On the one hand changing managers every five minutes never work's you need to have some stability.
    On the other hand if the manager appears to be clueless and not getting the results required what do you do.
    I would give Slade until Xmas and if results haven't improved get rid of him
  • Options
    xmas for me.
  • Options
    He get as long as Roland gives him which could be three games, three months or three years.

There is no logic to Roland's decisions so who knows.

I was at Oxford and was as frustrated as most but it's too early to start changing it all round again plus I have no faith in the regimes ability to find better.

As Curbs said last night he wasn't given the backing he needed.

But when you own fans are singing "4 4 2" and the team is 16th then the pressure will come.

Two home games now. Two more draws won't ease that pressure.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No win situation.

Stick with slade....we draw everyone to death. 0-0s, 1-1s, and Lose a few. (Judging on current form)

If we sack slade then that will be our f*cking 7th manager in 3 years.

Best thing to do is hope slade can turn it around and grind a winning team out of us.

Give him time....that he probably doesn't deserve.

He's British but has achieved f*ck all within the world of football...and has no prior connection to charlton, not that you NEED it.

Parky didn't...did ok. Certainly took his job a lot more seriously then alan pardew, who did used to play for us.

I fear and think that in the world of football today, the very cutthroat world where a manager cannot really always afford to have a blip.

I fear slade may have already lost the dressing room.

Wins should have happened by now.

I would say at this point....evaluate what's what at the end of November.

Maybe a turnaround. Maybe not.

• Options
    _nam11 said:

This site makes me burst out laughing sometimes!!

Everyone entitled to their view so fair enough, but for any Russell Out fans could you please answer;
    -who would you appoint instead, and would they come?
    -what would happen if they didn't win in their first 9 games, would you replace them?

Genuinely intrigued.

Exactly, as I said before you need stability.

Slade is no Ferguson but he has got three teams into the play-offs and there is no reason he cannot do that with us

Having said that, gone are the days when you could have a manager for three years and let them build a team.

Football is very different to when I started going in the mid 70's.
  • Options

It's a hard one this.
    On the one hand changing managers every five minutes never work's you need to have some stability.
    On the other hand if the manager appears to be clueless and not getting the results required what do you do.
    I would give Slade until Xmas and if results haven't improved get rid of him

Slade used to be no.1 at Xmas
  • Options
    I think he is absolutely useless. Seems he can't see what everyone else in the stadium does see and is negative beyond belief with arguably one of the best two or perhaps three squads in the division. Two wins from nine and a career that has failure written all over it.

Would I sack him ? No. It's not his fault he got the job and he deserves his shot.

Will he work out for us ? Not a chance.
  • Options
    I wasn't exactly enthused by his appointment, he hasn't won very much in his career as a manager, I don't think he's even been promoted has he? But he deserves a crack at it, we're not losing every game and with a little luck those draws could become wins. End of the season for me.
  • Options
    It's the modern way that success has to be almost instantaneous. But history shows that very often it takes far longer. The old sayings "patience is a virtue" and "Rome wasn't built in a day" are as relevant today as they've always been, Curbs and Fergie being good examples. Unfortunately we have an owner who in knocking on 70, but who thinks like a rebellious, progressive, 20 year old just out of Uni, with little regard for reality or conventional wisdom. He has surrounded himself with likeminded immature disciples like Meire and Driesen who treat him like the messiah who can do no wrong. With that in mind, if Slade fails to get another win in his next 3/4 games, he could well be on his bike.
  • Options
    I see no evidence to suggest he will make it past January.
  • Options

It's the modern way that success has to be almost instantaneous. But history shows that very often it takes far longer. The old sayings "patience is a virtue" and "Rome wasn't built in a day" are as relevant today as they've always been, Curbs and Fergie being good examples. Unfortunately we have an owner who in knocking on 70, but who thinks like a rebellious, progressive, 20 year old just out of Uni, with little regard for reality or conventional wisdom. He has surrounded himself with likeminded immature disciples like Meire and Driesen who treat him like the messiah who can do no wrong. With that in mind, if Slade fails to get another win in his next 3/4 games, he could well be on his bike.

All good points but until clubs, all clubs realise that the most important signing they make is the bloke in charge of the team and that it's worth more than the star striker or creative midfielder then the churn of managers will go on. Getting a successful manager is worth paying the premium.

We employed a manager with a mediocre track record and expect him to perform outside of this. Rarely if ever happens. Sometimes a journeyman manager gets lucky like Holloway did at Blackpool but the evidence was there in his record. Same as Slade. No sign that he's going to get lucky with us.

By all means persevere with him until the obvious becomes obvious but he's not going to get us promoted.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    With our squad, we should be in the top two or two in the division. Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Bauer, Jackson, Holmes, Ajose & Novak are top players at this level.
  • Options
    He has until the Belgians decide that the English experience is proving no better/or worse than the previous than the Belgian experience, then they will revert back to their ways, with a 3rd division continental coach and cheap imports :-(
  • Options

With our squad, we should be in the top two or two in the division. Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Bauer, Jackson, Holmes, Ajose & Novak are top players at this level.

Not forgetting Lookman, Magennis, Fox (yes Fox at this level) and Ulvestad.

In fact the more you think about it, failure to win promotion will be a calamity. How the fuck are we 16th?!
  • Options
    I suppose we have the manager a club in our position deserve. It's been stated on here by so many people but one more won't hurt! Until RD goes this club is going nowhere and has become a laughing stock in the football world (albeit with more then a tinge of sympathy). Let's face it, it's not a football club any more - just a business experiment - and one which is failing miserably. I wouldn't like to guess just how many people's lives this madman has ruined. I for one feel no real connection with the team or the club. RD and his acolytes have no thought about the history or traditions of Charlton, no more than they did for Standard. Maybe it's time we took the gloves off and resorted to the same tactics some of their fans resorted too... it had the desired effect after all!
  • Options
    addick05 said:

I suppose we have the manager a club in our position deserve. It's been stated on here by so many people but one more won't hurt! Until RD goes this club is going nowhere and has become a laughing stock in the football world (albeit with more then a tinge of sympathy). Let's face it, it's not a football club any more - just a business experiment - and one which is failing miserably. I wouldn't like to guess just how many people's lives this madman has ruined. I for one feel no real connection with the team or the club. RD and his acolytes have no thought about the history or traditions of Charlton, no more than they did for Standard. Maybe it's time we took the gloves off and resorted to the same tactics some of their fans resorted too... it had the desired effect after all!

Quite right.

Unfortunately, if he has an office in Charlton, it's probably clustered in cobwebs.

Can't really repeat what liege fans did.

Protest outside his shed?
  • Options
    Keep him but I'm concerned about performances over the last month. Yesterday was yet again another game where we should've pushed on and put the squeeze on them. I actually had no issue with the 4-5-1 because Magennis is a good hold up man, and I think that made it difficult for Oxford to get the ball. What I did have issue with was how slow that midfield 3 were. Slade should've been up there arse (one of them) to get forward and support more. I think he should've taken one of those 3 of before lookman as well.

The last thing we need is another managerial change, but we do need and should be doing better. 2 massive home games coming up. I'd say Slade needs 6pts to kick start our season, especially as we're now not playing Millwall the week after now
  • Options
    The thing is, I'm 99% certain, that if it was a network manager in at this stage, and we were playing as bad a football as we were now, having spent as much money as we did and having undeniably one of the best teams in the division, people would be so forgiving, nobody was keen to give Fraeye a chance to build a team and his start wasn't actually much worse than Slade's. No matter what people think of our recruitment our squad is not he 16th best in the league, not a chance. It is play-off standard at the very least and Slade's absolutely atrocious game of football has made it look like a relegation contender.

People (not necessarily on here) have been saying how Wigan didn't 'click' till December, yet at this stage they already had 14 points and would've been in the playoffs this season, it's always said that after 10 games you can start to see what's happening in a season, yes we've got a seemingly easy game on Tuesday which could see us go up the table a fair amount, but having got to know Slade's play style in these first 9 games, I'm certainly far from confident with him.
  • Options
    Heard that if we're not in the play offs zone by Xmas then Slade will be loaned out on full pay to another club. Nobby Vinegar in coming.
  • Options

Not forgetting Lookman, Magennis, Fox (yes Fox at this level) and Ulvestad.

In fact the more you think about it, failure to win promotion will be a calamity. How the fuck are we 16th?!
    We are in 16th because of Slade.
    If Chris Powell or any other half decent manager had this group of players we would be top 6
  • Options
    FORD said:

Heard that if we're not in the play offs zone by Xmas then Slade will be loaned out on full pay to another club. Nobby Vinegar in coming.

That's really similar to what I heard! Except instead of Nobby Vinegar, they're going to amputate one of Ademola Lookman's legs so he can never play again, then make him manager.