Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    Farke ? .. that's the way to do it .. wait months for a first win and when it comes, sack the manager the same day .. has ol Delia been at the cooking sherry again ?
  • Options
    clive said:
    Middlesbrough have appointed former Sheffield United, Oxford United and Northampton Town boss Chris Wilder to succeed Neil Warnock as their manager.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59197939
    Sandgaard is going to have to look elsewhere if he decides he doesn't want Jackson now...
  • Options
    Dean Smith has left Aston Villa
  • Options
    I think Wilder is a decent manager. His track record at Northampton and at Sheffield United was very good. Middlesbrough will seal his credentials or if he fails to get them promoted his stock will fall. I suspect the former.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Dean Smith has left Aston Villa
    A manager I really like. Managed 10 years at three clubs without being sacked. Almost unheard of in modern times.

Be interesting to see where he goes next. England job after Southgate next year?Doesn’t deserve to be back in the championship but would he get another job in the premier league.
  • Options
    Wonder if Wilder might have held off for a few days he could have had a Premier League job.
  • Options
    So, just 11 games into the season and five PL Managers have already lost their jobs. In fact, almost half of all PL Managers weren't in that position this time last year. Such is the demand for success/survival. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Wonder if Wilder might have held off for a few days he could have had a Premier League job.
    I think he was always going to have to re-build in the championship. I think British managers are generally at a bit of a disadvantage to start with as clubs and fans tend to favour overseas appointments for whatever reason, and also as much as he did a fantastic job at Sheff Utd they really did fall off a cliff in his final season which I think probably hurt his chances of getting another Premier League job straight away.

I heard a boro fan yesterday on the radio when it was rumoured he was coming in saying they didn't want him and wanted someone from abroad who favoured possession based football, when asked who they had in mind they replied they didn't have anyone in mind but just wanted a foreign appointment.

His Sheff Utd side played some great football at times and living locally I know a lot of Sheff Utd fans all of whom absolutely loved him and would quite happily have had him remain as manager even if they'd lost every Premier league game that season because they were sure he'd get them back up.

Of course I'm sure there's a lot of boro fans delighted at the appointment and I think he will do really well for them.

Be interesting to see where Smith ends up, after his stint at Villa you'd almost think he'd be to good for the championship but you do wonder which Premier League side he would end up at. I think he could do a decent job at Norwich but I suspect they already have their candidate in mind before they sacked Farke.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe Smith will take over at Watford when they sack Ranieri in January...
  • Options

Newcastle United have appointed Eddie Howe to succeed Steve Bruce as the Premier League club's head coach.

Howe, who has signed a contract until the summer of 2024, has not been in management since he left Bournemouth in August 2020 following relegation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59172217

• Options
    clive said:

Newcastle United have appointed Eddie Howe to succeed Steve Bruce as the Premier League club's head coach.

Howe, who has signed a contract until the summer of 2024, has not been in management since he left Bournemouth in August 2020 following relegation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59172217

Probably on a massive bonus to keep them up.  If he does that they will part company. If they go down, he stays, gets them promoted and then gets the sack 10 games in to their return to the premiership. Only one winner here - Eddie Howe. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I assume Tindall will be his assistant again, as he was sitting with Howe on Saturday

An interesting merry go round, as when Howe left Bournemouth, Tindall took over with Graeme Jones as coach. Jones then left to become coach at Newcastle, and Tindall was sacked soon afterwards. Jones was then the caretaker at Newcastle, will Howe keep him on?
  • Options
    As good as Bournemouth were when Howe took them up, they couldn't defend.
    Newcastle cant defend now.

Will be interesting to see it develop.  I honestly cant see Howe keeping them up.  They need signings in January but who would want to sign for them?
    Obviously they are going to be throwing money at it in transfer fees and wages but even so.
  • Options
    I’d imagine they will prioritise some quality loans. Players won’t feel threatened by relegation as they won’t be tied to the club. 
    Someone like Coutinho maybe. Barca will appreciate the money that’s for sure. 
  • Options
    Wow, deep.

Who doesn’t think the best way to win is by playing well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Wow, deep.

Who doesn’t think the best way to win is by playing well?
    Nigel Adkins
    I’m refusing to lol this on the basis that I wanted to say that
  • Options
    Steven Gerrard confirmed at Aston Villa
  • Options
    Joe Aribo to Aston Villa at some stage?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    As a Rangers fan I am disappointed he is leaving but felt recently that everything was not rosey up there. Hoping Gerrard does well for Villa, as the English game desperately needs an English manager to break the mould and be managing one of the top clubs in England. 
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2021
    Insider tip, Van Bronkhorst
  • Options
    Good move for him, bit of a no brainer really. The timing is bad for Rangers but i think he knew if he turned it down then when would he next get as good an offer?

He won't get a 'big 6' job, West Ham are flying, he can't go to Everton and although Rodgers may leave Leicester soon, he might not so he can't wait around for that and of course they might not even want him, so overall it's probably the best job he's likely to be offered anytime soon.

Basically a 2.5 year audition for when Klopp's contract expires in 2024.
  • Options
    Good move for him, bit of a no brainer really. The timing is bad for Rangers but i think he knew if he turned it down then when would he next get as good an offer?

He won't get a 'big 6' job, West Ham are flying, he can't go to Everton and although Rodgers may leave Leicester soon, he might not so he can't wait around for that and of course they might not even want him, so overall it's probably the best job he's likely to be offered anytime soon.

Agreed

What you want if a team with lots of good players, who are currently underperforming, whether due to form or injuries. Getting Villa into the top 10 shouldn't be impossible with that group of players, once they're all fit and firing
  • Options

Agreed

What you want if a team with lots of good players, who are currently underperforming, whether due to form or injuries. Getting Villa into the top 10 shouldn't be impossible with that group of players, once they're all fit and firing
    If he succeeds he will be the next Liverpool and hopefully future England manager. If he fails, it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Someone will give him another go simply based on name
  • Options
    I noticed that Gerrard’s Villa contract expires at the same time as Klopp’s one at Liverpool….
  • Options
    As a Rangers fan I am disappointed he is leaving but felt recently that everything was not rosey up there. Hoping Gerrard does well for Villa, as the English game desperately needs an English manager to break the mould and be managing one of the top clubs in England. 
    Don’t worry about Rangers, they will win the league without a manager