Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Most people don't care or think about what is in the new 'polymer' note, a minority of people do.
    It feels the debate on here is the indifferent castigating others for having an opinion on the matter.
    The note is mainly made of plastic-like material with the production and recycling issues associated with those materials. There may well be a half-cow amount of tallow in all the notes produced, a similarly small and cheap synthetic alternative could be used which would hardly make the polymer note any more environmentally unfriendly than it already is.
    There is barely an issue here, there has been a poorly thought through production plan, which now the issue has been flagged up could easily be changed.
    The issue has provided the vegetarian despisers with an open door to push at in their view by saying it is such a tiny issue. The truth seems to me that it is and was never an issue for carnivores, but it is one for vegetarians which can easily be fixed. It is not anything like a tail wagging a dog, but a desire for a small manageable change that respects the point of view of some people.
    What intrigues me is the vehemence associated with some anti vegetarians, or should I say those who hate vegetarians for saying anything.

Seth. Who on earth is or has suggested they "despise vegetarians" ? I would think that most people when they even give it a moments thought think veggies to be principled if not a little bit fringe.

Please don't try to take everything so personally especially where there was no intent to insult.

I have tried to be distant, my main thrust has-been that the notes can be made without tallow pretty easily.
    The debate has spun into other areas with faux outrage that vegetarians and others have the temerity to have a view.
    I am not 'taking it personally ', it is more as if the very existence of vegetarians provokes carnivores, personally, because that very existence acts as a commentary on what carnivores consume, and it is unwelcome to them.
    This.

The majority of meat eaters probably have some idea of where it comes from but they don't like to think about it and carry on eating it whilst mocking others that don't. Cognitive dissonance in action.
    I had chicken for dinner tonight, I saw it walking around this morning. I'm pretty sure most people do know where their meat comes from (the world is a lot bigger than your local supermarket) , as I'm sure most would prefer the animals we eat to live a better life before we eat it, however that's not quite possible in the world we live in assuming people want to continue to eat meat, which they clearly do.
    I genuinely find this very upsetting. I work at an animal sanctuary rescuing and rehoming ex-commercial hens. I have chickens at home and cannot imagine eating them, presumably as some people couldn't imagine eating a dog or cat.

I'm sure that it's better to eat an animal that's had a 'good life' before slaughter than a commercial broiler but, to be honest, I'm revolted by the thought of either.

why the LOL?

Just saying the thought of killing and eating a chicken is revolting to me.
    They're not being disrespectful though. You're just being too sensitive to understand friendly banter.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Most people don't care or think about what is in the new 'polymer' note, a minority of people do.
    It feels the debate on here is the indifferent castigating others for having an opinion on the matter.
    The note is mainly made of plastic-like material with the production and recycling issues associated with those materials. There may well be a half-cow amount of tallow in all the notes produced, a similarly small and cheap synthetic alternative could be used which would hardly make the polymer note any more environmentally unfriendly than it already is.
    There is barely an issue here, there has been a poorly thought through production plan, which now the issue has been flagged up could easily be changed.
    The issue has provided the vegetarian despisers with an open door to push at in their view by saying it is such a tiny issue. The truth seems to me that it is and was never an issue for carnivores, but it is one for vegetarians which can easily be fixed. It is not anything like a tail wagging a dog, but a desire for a small manageable change that respects the point of view of some people.
    What intrigues me is the vehemence associated with some anti vegetarians, or should I say those who hate vegetarians for saying anything.

Seth. Who on earth is or has suggested they "despise vegetarians" ? I would think that most people when they even give it a moments thought think veggies to be principled if not a little bit fringe.

Please don't try to take everything so personally especially where there was no intent to insult.

I have tried to be distant, my main thrust has-been that the notes can be made without tallow pretty easily.
    The debate has spun into other areas with faux outrage that vegetarians and others have the temerity to have a view.
    I am not 'taking it personally ', it is more as if the very existence of vegetarians provokes carnivores, personally, because that very existence acts as a commentary on what carnivores consume, and it is unwelcome to them.
    This.

The majority of meat eaters probably have some idea of where it comes from but they don't like to think about it and carry on eating it whilst mocking others that don't. Cognitive dissonance in action.
    I had chicken for dinner tonight, I saw it walking around this morning. I'm pretty sure most people do know where their meat comes from (the world is a lot bigger than your local supermarket) , as I'm sure most would prefer the animals we eat to live a better life before we eat it, however that's not quite possible in the world we live in assuming people want to continue to eat meat, which they clearly do.
    I genuinely find this very upsetting. I work at an animal sanctuary rescuing and rehoming ex-commercial hens. I have chickens at home and cannot imagine eating them, presumably as some people couldn't imagine eating a dog or cat.

I'm sure that it's better to eat an animal that's had a 'good life' before slaughter than a commercial broiler but, to be honest, I'm revolted by the thought of either.

why the LOL?

Do you worm your chickens? Does your chicken run have a solid floor? If it doesn't and you suddenly had an infestation of mice or rats, how would you treat these?

Just to reiterate, I haven't got an opinion on what you choose to eat.
  • Options
    iainment said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

They're not being disrespectful though. You're just being too sensitive to understand friendly banter.
    Why is it only on this thread that a sarcastic LOL is taken as being disrespectful? I see it on most threads mate
  • Options

iainment said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

Why is it only on this thread that a sarcastic LOL is taken as being disrespectful? I see it on most threads mate
    It's about opinions I admit but sarcasm runs the risk of being very hurtful. Especially if it seems to be denigrating someone's belief. Whether if it be religion, morals or other beliefs.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

It's about opinions I admit but sarcasm runs the risk of being very hurtful. Especially if it seems to be denigrating someone's belief. Whether if it be religion, morals or other beliefs.
    You better take a look on the Brexit thread then, coz there's hundreds going backwards and forwards and I ain't seen no one getting hurt and pulling em up on there.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/75952/lol-option/p1
  • Options
    Of course there'll be a ding dong there. That was what was intended by whoever started the thread.
    But in a thread about problems posed to vegetarians, started by a vegetarian it's not a big ask to get a bit of respect for views and actions that are lauded by most, if not all, vegetarians.
    I wouldn't expect my opinion to be wanted or repected on a thread about meat. Started by a meat eater and looking for meat eaters opinions. So I wouldn't go there unless I was looking to stir things up.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    iainment said:

Of course there'll be a ding dong there. That was what was intended by whoever started the thread.
    But in a thread about problems posed to vegetarians, started by a vegetarian it's not a big ask to get a bit of respect for views and actions that are lauded by most, if not all, vegetarians.
    I wouldn't expect my opinion to be wanted or repected on a thread about meat. Started by a meat eater and looking for meat eaters opinions. So I wouldn't go there unless I was looking to stir things up.

Really?

So you started this thread intending for just veggies to come back and discuss the fivers?
  • Options
    I had hoped this thread would slide down the pages, but I suspect we're going to go round again.
  • Options
    Me too, they can't let sleeping dogs lie can they Setho.

Sheeeesh
  • Options

Sheeeesh

It revived because I recommended a film that I thought you might like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Sheeeesh

It revived because I recommended a film that I thought you might like.
    Sorry thank you
  • Options
    I'm guessing no one watched the grand tour last night? I'm what has been described as a carnivore but even I thought that was a bit much to be honest...
  • Options
    iainment said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

Fair point
  • Options

iainment said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

Fair point
    Actually I was being ironic.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

Fair point
    Actually I was being ironic.
    Ooooops!

I am too sensitive on some subjects though. It's just so bloody predictable that when some people learn I'm a vegan they find it necessary to ridicule. Each to their own. Mr Tatters is a meat eater but we don't spend our lives trying to convert each other to our chosen way of life thank god.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

a) something we've done for thousands of years for survival is 'revolting'.

b) it would be interesting to see how 'revolting' you would find killing and eating animals if you were starving and had no shops to go to.

c) your response was naive or childish.

I assume one of those was the reason for the LOL.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

why the LOL?

a) something we've done for thousands of years for survival is 'revolting'.

b) it would be interesting to see how 'revolting' you would find killing and eating animals if you were starving and had no shops to go to.

c) your response was naive or childish.

I assume one of those was the reason for the LOL.
    I was trying to think of how to reply to this.... I actually wouldn't know where to start....
  • Options
    I was just trying to help you out with the reason for the LOL. It could have been none of the above though.
  • Options

a) The idea of eating animals is, for many people, truly appalling. Where there might, in the distant past, have been a need, there is now little, or no need. Similar to those British 'traditions' of putting children to work up chimneys, in factories, etc. Times change. Move on... So how would you propose the entire world move from eating meat to veg only, in the same way we have tried to stop child labour?

b) Utter tosh. Thankfully - and due, largely to the tireless campaigning of animal advocates - we don't starve and there's plenty of lovely vegan foodstuffs to buy and / or grow. We've always been able to grow veg, nothing to do with campaigning

c) Doesn't merit a response. I could use the word 'Ignorant', but I won't.

• Options
    edited December 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't we all just be friends!?!
  • Options
    iainment said:

Unless I'm mistaken, you've frequently posted in a thread about horse racing, started by someone who likes horse racing, for people who like horse racing
  • Options

It's a difficult night for being friends on a number of threads!
  • Options
    edited December 2016

It's a difficult night for being friends on a number of threads!
    We all love you on here @Arsenetatters :) even if some views aren't shared we all have Charlton in common. Keep smiling!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

iainment said:

Unless I'm mistaken, you've frequently posted in a thread about horse racing, started by someone who likes horse racing, for people who like horse racing
    Frequently?
  • Options
    It probably doesn't help that not only are you incredibly thin-skinned to what are mostly light-hearted pokes at your diet/beliefs (particularly compared to what any holders of religious beliefs are subjected to on this forum), but the pro-vegetarian posts on here have often been very condescending in tone, usually implying or flat-out stating that non-vegetarians are thick, ignorant, offensive, primitive, or do not care about animal welfare, or at least not as much as you do. Then you wonder why you receive hostility.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

It probably doesn't help that not only are you incredibly thin-skinned to what are mostly light-hearted pokes at your diet/beliefs (particularly compared to what any holders of religious beliefs are subjected to on this forum), but the pro-vegetarian posts on here have often been very condescending in tone, usually implying or flat-out stating that non-vegetarians are thick, ignorant, offensive, primitive, or do not care about animal welfare, or at least not as much as you do. Then you wonder why you receive hostility.

No animals were harmed during the writing of this post.

• Options

I can't take on 'the entire world', Rob. My campaigning is on a personal and local level.
    Re. my comment about the results of years of campaigning - it referred to the ever-growing non-meat choices we have in the shops here in the UK. I mentioned the growing of vegetable foodstuffs to remind that purchase and monetary transaction need not apply in all cases relating to food. My point is that there are plenty of alternatives to an animal-derived diet - bought, or grown by oneself - and much of the success in realising the former is the result of tireless effort. I'm always up for a (polite) debate on animal advocacy, but I won't comment further here, as this thread is about the new £5 note.

All fair comment