Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Most people don't care or think about what is in the new 'polymer' note, a minority of people do.
    It feels the debate on here is the indifferent castigating others for having an opinion on the matter.
    The note is mainly made of plastic-like material with the production and recycling issues associated with those materials. There may well be a half-cow amount of tallow in all the notes produced, a similarly small and cheap synthetic alternative could be used which would hardly make the polymer note any more environmentally unfriendly than it already is.
    There is barely an issue here, there has been a poorly thought through production plan, which now the issue has been flagged up could easily be changed.
    The issue has provided the vegetarian despisers with an open door to push at in their view by saying it is such a tiny issue. The truth seems to me that it is and was never an issue for carnivores, but it is one for vegetarians which can easily be fixed. It is not anything like a tail wagging a dog, but a desire for a small manageable change that respects the point of view of some people.
    What intrigues me is the vehemence associated with some anti vegetarians, or should I say those who hate vegetarians for saying anything.

Seth. Who on earth is or has suggested they "despise vegetarians" ? I would think that most people when they even give it a moments thought think veggies to be principled if not a little bit fringe.

Please don't try to take everything so personally especially where there was no intent to insult.

I have tried to be distant, my main thrust has-been that the notes can be made without tallow pretty easily.
    The debate has spun into other areas with faux outrage that vegetarians and others have the temerity to have a view.
    I am not 'taking it personally ', it is more as if the very existence of vegetarians provokes carnivores, personally, because that very existence acts as a commentary on what carnivores consume, and it is unwelcome to them.
    This.

The majority of meat eaters probably have some idea of where it comes from but they don't like to think about it and carry on eating it whilst mocking others that don't. Cognitive dissonance in action.
  • sam3110 said:

@ShootersHillGuru
    The other day you wrote that you respected us for our principles. Now we're a 'tiny minority', and you find it 'pathetic'. The issue of tallow in bank notes isn't a pressing concern for you. It isn't the most pressing concern for me. But, for many, myself included, it is a concern and on this, and other issues of animal welfare and advancement, the battle goes on. As, no doubt, will the inane, sarcastic and ignorant comments on this forum. The rising awareness in matters relating to the welfare of animals and the influence that animal advocates are having clearly gets to some Lifers.
    Two of us on this forum helped with the reception of fifty chickens this afternoon. They'd come from a mass-production unit in Sussex and are now safe in a sanctuary in NW Kent. One hundred more are coming in a fortnight. We hope that most will, in the new year, be re-homed by people who will care for them.
    Merry Christmas.

I'm obviously not a veggie, but I long to see the day when mass producing / intensively farming any animal is completely outlawed. I'd expect that the majority of the general public would like the same, until they realise that it would cost em a few quid more when buying the finished product. Like I've said a few times, meat shouldn't be as cheap as it is considering what it is, but try telling that to the average housewife when she's paying 6 quid for 2 birds in Asda, the same housewife who would not doubt think I'm cruel for harvesting my 100% free-range meat from the wild.

Moving on to another point, I think most of this thread has been generally respectful. I can't see any ignorant comments, it got a bit unique when it was suggested that we could replacing pastoral land for arable, but then maybe that suggesting was a bit naive at best anyway.
    Often the feed they grow is soya (because it's a high protein food) which could be fed directly to people thus cutting out the need for cows.
    Beef tastes good, soya tastes shit

Pass

Eat beef raw do you? Or is it the seasoning and cooking method that makes it taste 'good'?
    Yup I eat it both raw and cooked.

All the vegetables you eat, all of them raw too?
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Most people don't care or think about what is in the new 'polymer' note, a minority of people do.
    It feels the debate on here is the indifferent castigating others for having an opinion on the matter.
    The note is mainly made of plastic-like material with the production and recycling issues associated with those materials. There may well be a half-cow amount of tallow in all the notes produced, a similarly small and cheap synthetic alternative could be used which would hardly make the polymer note any more environmentally unfriendly than it already is.
    There is barely an issue here, there has been a poorly thought through production plan, which now the issue has been flagged up could easily be changed.
    The issue has provided the vegetarian despisers with an open door to push at in their view by saying it is such a tiny issue. The truth seems to me that it is and was never an issue for carnivores, but it is one for vegetarians which can easily be fixed. It is not anything like a tail wagging a dog, but a desire for a small manageable change that respects the point of view of some people.
    What intrigues me is the vehemence associated with some anti vegetarians, or should I say those who hate vegetarians for saying anything.

Seth. Who on earth is or has suggested they "despise vegetarians" ? I would think that most people when they even give it a moments thought think veggies to be principled if not a little bit fringe.

Please don't try to take everything so personally especially where there was no intent to insult.

I have tried to be distant, my main thrust has-been that the notes can be made without tallow pretty easily.
    The debate has spun into other areas with faux outrage that vegetarians and others have the temerity to have a view.
    I am not 'taking it personally ', it is more as if the very existence of vegetarians provokes carnivores, personally, because that very existence acts as a commentary on what carnivores consume, and it is unwelcome to them.
    This.

The majority of meat eaters probably have some idea of where it comes from but they don't like to think about it and carry on eating it whilst mocking others that don't. Cognitive dissonance in action.
    That's quite a leap isn't it. Do you really think that I don't know exactly how my meat is produced ? Are us carnivores so much more stupid than veggies ? Very condescending in my opinion. You sure you're not a carnivore ?

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

Haha ok, so we can't make some assumptions but veggies can?
  • You do know that's 95% water?
  • 1StevieG said:

You do know that's 95% water?
    .00000000000001% Tallow
  • I don't think any carnivores object to vegetarians per se, but do find their pious indignation and self-proclaimed victimhood tiresome.
    I'm a moderate meat-eater who thoroughly enjoys veggie food -especially an old pal's macro-biotic meals. I use a fantastic organic butchers where I know the animals have had reasonable lives until they were slaughtered so I could cook them with all manner of good things.
    Had they known how lovingly they would be roasted; griddled and braised, not a bit of their sacrificed carcass being wasted, they might think, 'Well, if I had to end up in anyone's pot, I'm glad it was this guy's. He sort of cared. Bastard...'
  • The argument about tallow v synthetic material (I am no scientist but maybe the alternative can come from some plant material anyway) being massively bad for the environment in the new notes seems to have flaws.
    Again speaking as a non scientist, the polymer notes taken as a whole contain a lot of synthetic material anyway, and the amount of extra material apparently needed is miniscule. Not really a 'far greater impact impact on the environment '. I think that if the production designers of the note had been gently alerted to the issue, they would have used something different and we wouldn't be havng this debate.
    If I sound like I am asserting some kind of superiority by posting on this thread I apologise, that is not my intention. I have lived through years of the vegetarian debate and am used to the arguments. In that time I have reconciled to being in a minority, but not a 'grandiose' minority, it is more like a personal individual thing for me, and I suspect for others posting here.
  • Another decent respectful debate stifled by the precious ones, always the victims.

vegetarians - the scousers of the food industry...
  • I'll get my (fairly traded, organic cotton) coat
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely as eating meat or not eating meat is a lifestyle choice it should just be that without the world and his dog arguing about it. Being a vegetarian isn't endangering the existence of cattle, being a vegan isn't endangering the environment or affecting the work ok dairy farms and eating meat isn't cruel or unhealthy in moderation.

What would endanger the environment, particular existences of certain animals or crops or shortage of supplies on things is if everybody all ate and acted the same. If we were all vegans hundreds of thousands of people would be out of business, some animals wouldn't be reared at all and would eventually die out, similar would apply if we were all vegetarians and if everyone was a carnivore there would also be consequences.

It's people that can't eat gluton or dairy or other allergies that I feel for these people don't have a choice and not only have to sacrifice foods we take for granted but have to pay through their noses for alternatives.
  • we may as well use up the other half a cow rather than waste it so that's another 300 million notes. we can then worry about this in about 10 years
  • rina said:

we may as well use up the other half a cow rather than waste it so that's another 300 million notes. we can then worry about this in about 10 years

Good idea, I've been wondering all day whether it was the front or back, left or right half and surely it would keep falling over.
  • rina said:

we may as well use up the other half a cow rather than waste it so that's another 300 million notes. we can then worry about this in about 10 years

Good idea, I've been wondering all day whether it was the front or back, left or right half and surely it would keep falling over.
    I believe it was donated from a Damien Hirst exhibition.
  • seth plum said:

Who on this thread are 'vegetarian despisers'?
    Those who think it funny to post pictures of chicken breasts leap to mind.
  • iainment said:

seth plum said:

I imagine those described as 'carnivores' would not object to a photo of a cauliflower being posted.
  • This thread seems a bit OTT for me....
  • We have had several threads about vegetarianism over the years. This one is supposed to be about the banknote, at least that's what I thought.
  • Has the bank note got tallow in it?

Must admit I have no idea why that would be necessary.

Personally I will not be using the new £5 note because it is mostly manufactured using carbon based plastics. I mean what is the global warming cost of using oil refined plastic based notes rather than much more easily degradable paper notes?

Surely there must have been a study done.

Oh, there was.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/polymer/Documents/environmentalimpact.pdf

It says that Canada have polymer bank notes so it must be a good thing. Polymer bank notes produce shed loads of ozone but because they last a whole 2.5 times longer than paper ones that's ok. Assuming you can organically recycle them.

Which you can't, but the Bank of England is looking into it.

Keep up the above average work Carney.
  • iainment said:

seth plum said:

Ohh come on. I saw a tweet that was funny so I shared it. Have you really taken offense at that obvious joke.

A joke, I hasten to add, that wasn't taking the mick out of vegetarians but out of the whole bank note situation. In fact the only people who could claim it was aimed at them would be the top dogs at BOE.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016

"This issue for the overwhelmingly vast majority is laughable. It's a non important event".

The issue was escalated via Social media and a lot of people have voiced their opposition.
    How many times......the amount of tallow isn't the issue. The point is that it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

"Regardless of what's happened you already have your victory".

Premature. The issue has yet to be resolved so "victory" is not yet achieved.

"Do you really think that the BoE will now produce another note using tallow in the formula ? "

No, Dave, I don't think that.

2016 probably isn't the best year to be claiming that something gaining pace on social media means it's an important issue. People voice all kinds of dreadful opinions on social media, and they get shared in little echo chambers, but that doesn't provide any form of merit whatsoever.

I posted examples of legitimate petitions that don't even have half the signatures as the £5 one. Despite that, these petitions actually call for measurable change in ways that would help thousands of animals and actually change some pretty cruel industries. Where are the signatures for those petitions?

Nowhere. Because there's not a convenient bandwagon to jump on. It isn't "current" to complain about those issues, everyone else is talking about the £5 note.

I don't doubt for one second that the members on here who are fighting their corner are all pretty admirable for taking a stand and being the change they want to see. However saying that everyone who shared it on Twitter or Facebook is quite so clued up or dedicated is simply wrong.

Some perspective is needed, and it's such a disappointment to see that the news coverage, energy and money that could legitimately be doing some good for animal rights in the UK, is instead being thrown away on the byproduct of half a cow. There's a saying about picking your battles, and this wasn't one to pick.

I'm sure the chaps awaiting sentencing for animal cruelty offences are glad that the extra 50,000 signatures required for parliament to debate increasing the tariff, have in fact been registered to a petition dedicated for half a cow. Great.

But still, that gets a few likes on Facebook and people can pretend to be on top of current affairs and with an opinion can't they? Damn the facts and logic, they want to make their statement.
  • edited December 2016

sam3110 said:

@ShootersHillGuru
    The other day you wrote that you respected us for our principles. Now we're a 'tiny minority', and you find it 'pathetic'. The issue of tallow in bank notes isn't a pressing concern for you. It isn't the most pressing concern for me. But, for many, myself included, it is a concern and on this, and other issues of animal welfare and advancement, the battle goes on. As, no doubt, will the inane, sarcastic and ignorant comments on this forum. The rising awareness in matters relating to the welfare of animals and the influence that animal advocates are having clearly gets to some Lifers.
    Two of us on this forum helped with the reception of fifty chickens this afternoon. They'd come from a mass-production unit in Sussex and are now safe in a sanctuary in NW Kent. One hundred more are coming in a fortnight. We hope that most will, in the new year, be re-homed by people who will care for them.
    Merry Christmas.

I'm obviously not a veggie, but I long to see the day when mass producing / intensively farming any animal is completely outlawed. I'd expect that the majority of the general public would like the same, until they realise that it would cost em a few quid more when buying the finished product. Like I've said a few times, meat shouldn't be as cheap as it is considering what it is, but try telling that to the average housewife when she's paying 6 quid for 2 birds in Asda, the same housewife who would not doubt think I'm cruel for harvesting my 100% free-range meat from the wild.

Moving on to another point, I think most of this thread has been generally respectful. I can't see any ignorant comments, it got a bit unique when it was suggested that we could replacing pastoral land for arable, but then maybe that suggesting was a bit naive at best anyway.
    Often the feed they grow is soya (because it's a high protein food) which could be fed directly to people thus cutting out the need for cows.
    Beef tastes good, soya tastes shit

Pass

Eat beef raw do you? Or is it the seasoning and cooking method that makes it taste 'good'?
    Yes, carpaccio is my favourite food, soya tastes shite
  • edited December 2016
    All sorts of stuff is magnified via social media, some of it valid, some not. It would seem, looking on from afar, that some topics gain huge 'credence', whilst others, meritorious though they may be, go largely unnoticed. What can one do about this? Dunno. Social media is largely unregulated, wild and free. A good thing and a bad thing....
    I suggest that one picks one's battles, goes for it, and doesn't give up. Charlton Life aside, I don't use social media....but I know my targets and do what I can to hit them.
  • seth plum said:

We have had several threads about vegetarianism over the years. This one is supposed to be about the banknote, at least that's what I thought.

At least no-one has mentioned Nigel Farage yet.

Oh bollocks.
  • iainment said:

Hex said:

Petrol and diesel comes from dead animals (as well as plants) so I assume veggies walk everywhere ?

They weren't bred to create petrol so I don't see it as the same issue.
    In the same way some people will only eat meat from stuff like roadkill. But boycott farmed animal products.
    So what's you opinion on people who raise their own meat. Or takes it from the wild?
    I just saw a film I think you'd love.
    The Eagle Huntress. A documentary about a girl becoming the first female eagle hunter in Mongolia.
    Fantastic photography of stunning scenery and hunting with eagles.
  • Charlton life's newest vegetarian @jamescafc spotted eating a vegetarian Chicken Balti pie at half time yesterday.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

I had chicken for dinner tonight, I saw it walking around this morning. I'm pretty sure most people do know where their meat comes from (the world is a lot bigger than your local supermarket) , as I'm sure most would prefer the animals we eat to live a better life before we eat it, however that's not quite possible in the world we live in assuming people want to continue to eat meat, which they clearly do.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

This.

I had chicken for dinner tonight, I saw it walking around this morning. I'm pretty sure most people do know where their meat comes from (the world is a lot bigger than your local supermarket) , as I'm sure most would prefer the animals we eat to live a better life before we eat it, however that's not quite possible in the world we live in assuming people want to continue to eat meat, which they clearly do.
    I genuinely find this very upsetting. I work at an animal sanctuary rescuing and rehoming ex-commercial hens. I have chickens at home and cannot imagine eating them, presumably as some people couldn't imagine eating a dog or cat.

I'm sure that it's better to eat an animal that's had a 'good life' before slaughter than a commercial broiler but, to be honest, I'm revolted by the thought of either.

why the LOL?

Just saying the thought of killing and eating a chicken is revolting to me.