Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

JaShea99 said:

Apparently the combined total of 'tallow' in all the new fivers amounts to approx half a cow.

Your point being?
    Why would you swerve or even have zn opinion on these fivers when you buy meat for 4 cats that also indiscriminately kill wild birds on a daily basis

**Sorry to keep on about the same point mate, but it's quite relevant to this discussion.**
    Yawn.
    See my many previous posts in reply to this opinion of yours.
    It doesn't matter does it, fair enough if you've got your pets and you're gonna phase them out so that you can live as a genuine veggie, but you haven't got an argument on these fivers (with so little meat / by product content), all the time you're buying cat food that contains more or less 100% meat content.
    As I've said before I'm a mass of contradictions. I'm not going to have the cats put down, so with me or without me they'll eat. It doesn't actuaĺly make any difference if it's with me or another.
    So I' ll keep them.
    Sorry if you think that's hypocritical but that's the way it is.
    I'm not suggesting you should have put down, I wouldn't dream of it mate.
    I took it as an inference pal. That's all.
    No you're miles out. Just think you should enjoy the meat, then go all out veggie when the last one goes
    you think he should eat the cats?
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

JaShea99 said:

Apparently the combined total of 'tallow' in all the new fivers amounts to approx half a cow.

Your point being?
    Why would you swerve or even have zn opinion on these fivers when you buy meat for 4 cats that also indiscriminately kill wild birds on a daily basis

**Sorry to keep on about the same point mate, but it's quite relevant to this discussion.**
    Yawn.
    See my many previous posts in reply to this opinion of yours.
    It doesn't matter does it, fair enough if you've got your pets and you're gonna phase them out so that you can live as a genuine veggie, but you haven't got an argument on these fivers (with so little meat / by product content), all the time you're buying cat food that contains more or less 100% meat content.
    As I've said before I'm a mass of contradictions. I'm not going to have the cats put down, so with me or without me they'll eat. It doesn't actuaĺly make any difference if it's with me or another.
    So I' ll keep them.
    Sorry if you think that's hypocritical but that's the way it is.
    I'm not suggesting you should have put down, I wouldn't dream of it mate.
    I took it as an inference pal. That's all.
    No you're miles out. Just think you should enjoy the meat, then go all out veggie when the last one goes
    You are a boy ain't you.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The amount of tallow is tiny. But it's in there. The manufacturer of the notes and the officialdom that requested they be made didn't foresee the potential for angst over this. The notes need not have been made the way they were.
    This thread, like some others relating to animals, gets subverted and all sorts of finger-pointing ensues. The thread is about animal fat in notes we use daily. Many people, for a variety of reasons, object to animals being farmed / injured / killed in the production of household goods, food and clothing and, now, bank notes. This opposition grows all the time and challenges the status quo, in all sorts of ways. The defenders of the status quo are, in the main, a conservative bunch. The Bank of England will back down over this issue and the protestors will 'win'. In this case, it is a situation that should not have arisen in the first place.

The BoE is having to waste taxpayers' time and money managing PR and looking into the issue because a handful of people are upset over something they barely understand.

And you're probably right, they will probably replace it with a synthetic substitute, probably one with a much higher carbon footprint and one that uses toxic substances or chemicals that go on to poison the land and sea.

But at least vegan cafes will be able to give their clientele correct change.

Meanwhile, the number of slaughterhouses that refuse to stun animals due to cultural reasons continues to grow at a faster rate than those turning vegan or vegetarian. But pick your battles I guess?
    The BoE doesn't have to if they don't want to, they can say feck you vegetarians, and you other handfuls of religious people, if you don't like it, tough!
    Would be singing in harmony with a lot of people on this thread.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The amount of tallow is tiny. But it's in there. The manufacturer of the notes and the officialdom that requested they be made didn't foresee the potential for angst over this. The notes need not have been made the way they were.
    This thread, like some others relating to animals, gets subverted and all sorts of finger-pointing ensues. The thread is about animal fat in notes we use daily. Many people, for a variety of reasons, object to animals being farmed / injured / killed in the production of household goods, food and clothing and, now, bank notes. This opposition grows all the time and challenges the status quo, in all sorts of ways. The defenders of the status quo are, in the main, a conservative bunch. The Bank of England will back down over this issue and the protestors will 'win'. In this case, it is a situation that should not have arisen in the first place.

The BoE is having to waste taxpayers' time and money managing PR and looking into the issue because a handful of people are upset over something they barely understand.

And you're probably right, they will probably replace it with a synthetic substitute, probably one with a much higher carbon footprint and one that uses toxic substances or chemicals that go on to poison the land and sea.

Meanwhile, the number of slaughterhouses that refuse to stun animals due to cultural reasons continues to grow at a faster rate than those turning vegan or vegetarian. But pick your battles I guess?
    They created the waste by not carrying out due diligence on their manufacturing process. It's their blunder don't blame vegetarians, hindus or others.
    It's the BoE to blame absolutely.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    iainment said:

Fiiish said:

They created the waste by not carrying out due diligence on their manufacturing process. It's their blunder don't blame vegetarians, hindus or others.
    Blame for what? They've done absolutely nothing illegal or immoral.

They probably went with what was the cheapest material, and tallow is probably the least wasteful material as it is a by-product that is useless to the industry that produces it (as opposed to a factory that makes a synthetic equivalent at a much greater carbon footprint and waste product that needs to be dumped somewhere). As a taxpayer that's the priority for me.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

Blame for what? They've done absolutely nothing illegal or immoral.

They probably went with what was the cheapest material, and tallow is probably the least wasteful material as it is a by-product that is useless to the industry that produces it (as opposed to a factory that makes a synthetic equivalent at a much greater carbon footprint and waste product that needs to be dumped somewhere). As a taxpayer that's the priority for me.
    What they did was immoral.
    How?
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/dec/03/vegetarian-rainbow-cafe-cambridge-5-note-animal-by-product?CMP=twt_gu

A vegetarian restaurant owner’s decision not to accept the new £5 note because it contains traces of meat byproducts has come under fire from vegetarians and carnivores alike.

Sharon Meijland, who has run the Rainbow cafe in Cambridge for the past three decades, said she would not allow customers to pay with the polymer note as tallow – an animal byproduct – is used during the production process.

The businesswoman said she had been left shocked and frightened by some of the online reaction to her decision.

But she claimed that her own customers have been supportive of her stance.

I bet she doesn't get pilloried like that Irish bakery who wouldn't make the gay marriage cake.

One rule for one....etc ;)
    Gay marriage cake doesn't sound very nice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Is it still de la rue that print the money or have we passed it over to Findus now
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I've said before if common sense is applied then this will be considered a battle too far.

I'd you really care about the environment/conservation you will look at the bigger picture rather than one small element of it.

293 million notes worth of tallow will equate to half at cow. That's half of one cow over the entire lifespan of the note (100 odd years).

The synthetic byproduct has at significant amount of waste in its production including harmful chemicals which will be stuck in at landfill and be really great for the environment.

Come on guys. Getting 15th use of an already dead animal, using the bits that have no other use and would have been thrown away otherwise. That is much more environmentally friendly than the alternative.

There are much bigger battles to fight.

I am passionate about the environment and conservation for arming in particular. A family member has developed ideas for conservation farming that are now officially recognised by the Zambian government and other African governments as the best way to increase yields but do it environmentally and with an eye on conservation. No ploughing no artificial pesticides or fertilisers. Natural solutions like crop rotation, perimeter trees etc. It's more labour intensive but in Africa that's not an issue. He's provided all this for free when he could have got a big government contract out of it.

Anyway I digress my point is I'm as keen on this stuff as anyone, but the bank note? It's pretty insignificant. There will never be a perfect world. Pick your battles and let this one slide.
  • Options
    iainment said:

The bank notes contain tallow. They don't need to. Products that contain tallow cause problems for Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, vegans and vegetarians.* There is an alternative that causes no problems. And with no extra cost.**
    They chose to produce the banknotes with no thought to due diligence.
    They are tossers and aren't fit to be in charge of such a fundamental product.***

* - no it doesn't, unless roads, pavements, most packaging and most forms of vegetable farming are also problematic for vegetarians as these all rely on either animal products or animals being harmed as a result of industry-wide practices

** - tallow is an otherwise useless waste product of an already existing industry, whereas synthetic replacements require extra factories that use and produce non-renewable materials and generate waste, and rely on inputs that themselves can cause harm to nature

*** - wibble
  • Options

All the terrible things going on in the world and a tiny minority group find the time and spend the effort to protest about what amounts to 99.9% of the population as fuck all. I find it pathetic really.

As someone else pointed out, the current circulation of banknotes require the amount of tallow that could be produced from half a cow. That cow could have been a cow that died of natural causes for all we know.

Meanwhile tens of billions of animals are slaughtered each year to be eaten across the globe.

How many cows will be saved by changing to a synthetic product? None. How many animals could be harmed or kill thanks to the synthetic produce? Potentially thousands.

I want less animals to be killed each year than a vegetarian. That's why I support tallow in products.
  • Options

I agree with Anna kissed why have the tallow in there in the first place
  • Options
    Are these polymer banknotes biodegradable?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@ShootersHillGuru
    The other day you wrote that you respected us for our principles. Now we're a 'tiny minority', and you find it 'pathetic'. The issue of tallow in bank notes isn't a pressing concern for you. It isn't the most pressing concern for me. But, for many, myself included, it is a concern and on this, and other issues of animal welfare and advancement, the battle goes on. As, no doubt, will the inane, sarcastic and ignorant comments on this forum. The rising awareness in matters relating to the welfare of animals and the influence that animal advocates are having clearly gets to some Lifers.
    Two of us on this forum helped with the reception of fifty chickens this afternoon. They'd come from a mass-production unit in Sussex and are now safe in a sanctuary in NW Kent. One hundred more are coming in a fortnight. We hope that most will, in the new year, be re-homed by people who will care for them.
    Merry Christmas.

I'll have a large one but can you remove the giblets first please.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

All the terrible things going on in the world and a tiny minority group find the time and spend the effort to protest about what amounts to 99.9% of the population as fuck all. I find it pathetic really.

As someone else pointed out, the current circulation of banknotes require the amount of tallow that could be produced from half a cow. That cow could have been a cow that died of natural causes for all we know.

Meanwhile tens of billions of animals are slaughtered each year to be eaten across the globe.

How many cows will be saved by changing to a synthetic product? None. How many animals could be harmed or kill thanks to the synthetic produce? Potentially thousands.

I want less animals to be killed each year than a vegetarian. That's why I support tallow in products.
    So you don't understand how principles effect individuals. I don't want to use products that use animal products. But basically you're saying suspend my beliefs because you think they don't matter.
    Actually fuck off.
  • Options

You could make the same argument about protesting against the regime. There are things that people feel very passionate about. For me it's Charlton and animals.
  • Options
    Principles are nice and all but principles doth butter no parsnips.

My wife was, until recently, a vegetarian and even now she rarely eats meat. We generally do not buy meat on a day to day basis for cost, health and ethical reasons but when we do, we make sure it is locally sourced and that the farm in question has good standards of welfare. Happier animals are healthier animals. If I am out and about, it is more difficult to be an ethical consumer. Yes, the vegetarian option on the menu is less likely to have any cruelty attached to it, but how do I know that none of the products that went into that option were from ethical and environmentally friendly sources? And the fact is you don't. The cheese in the vegetarian quiche could be from a bad dairy farm, and even the vegetables in the vegan option could have come from a farm that uses pesticides that poison rivers.

What I know is, as a fact, is that not a single animal died for the purpose of producing this currency. Unlike the vegan option, where the vegetables could have come at the cost of the life in the river due to pesticides. Or they could have been imported from thousands of miles away at a huge impact to the environment.

The way I see it, I'd rather eat meat if I know it is ethical and sustainable, whereas vegetarians would happily eat anything that is non-meat and give no regard as to any environmental or cruelty impact down the line. At least I look further down the chain of production than what's on my plate. And that's the impression I get from the outraged on this thread who demand a synthetic solution with no regard as to what cost that solution comes from.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

My wife was, until recently, a vegetarian and even now she rarely eats meat. We generally do not buy meat on a day to day basis for cost, health and ethical reasons but when we do, we make sure it is locally sourced and that the farm in question has good standards of welfare. Happier animals are healthier animals. If I am out and about, it is more difficult to be an ethical consumer. Yes, the vegetarian option on the menu is less likely to have any cruelty attached to it, but how do I know that none of the products that went into that option were from ethical and environmentally friendly sources? And the fact is you don't. The cheese in the vegetarian quiche could be from a bad dairy farm, and even the vegetables in the vegan option could have come from a farm that uses pesticides that poison rivers.

What I know is, as a fact, is that not a single animal died for the purpose of producing this currency. Unlike the vegan option, where the vegetables could have come at the cost of the life in the river due to pesticides. Or they could have been imported from thousands of miles away at a huge impact to the environment.

The way I see it, I'd rather eat meat if I know it is ethical and sustainable, whereas vegetarians would happily eat anything that is non-meat and give no regard as to any environmental or cruelty impact down the line. At least I look further down the chain of production than what's on my plate. And that's the impression I get from the outraged on this thread who demand a synthetic solution with no regard as to what cost that solution comes from.

Living authentically means many things to many people. I'm a vegan diet wise but I drive a van to the animal rescue I work at. I guess I should cycle there but I don't. We can all do our bit. Where we draw the line differs.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Yeah. Fair comment. I can't even get along with apostrophes.

But they do taste nice. Especially in soup.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

La de da.
  • Options
    iainment said:

JaShea99 said:

Your point being?
    It's such an insignificant amount that it's not even worth thinking about.