Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• Swisdom said:

I love the way the picture shows the team walking away from him. Nicely done!

If you were a half decent player would you be happy to sit and play with the kids? Or would you take the settlement and sign for someone on a Bosman and kick start your career. The fact he is content to sit back and get paid to not play tells me a lot about him as a person. By the age of 23 he should have a lot more than 50 appearances under his belt and this, I suspect, is part of the reason the manager(s) don't rate him.

Not sure if this is a serious comment but if I was a League Two quality player who in the market could command a £1K per week, 2 year contract but some plonker had given me a 5 year contract on £5K a week which had 3.5 years to go and was now offering me £50K to leave early I would probably sit tight.

Of course, all my numbers above are made up but the thing is we do not know the finances to put the thing into context so should definitely not be jumping to conclusions about a players attitude here.
    We don't know his exact circumstances but By not playing he is irreparably damaging his future career. Clubs won't touch with a barge pole him because he's proving he doesn't trust his ability and is more interested in money.
    If he was on a ridiculous contract then maybe it's more understandable but it's unlikely to be life altering even with our owners.
    He should be at the peak of his powers right now and he's knocking about with the u18's of a middling 3rd tier club.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

If you were a half decent player would you be happy to sit and play with the kids? Or would you take the settlement and sign for someone on a Bosman and kick start your career. The fact he is content to sit back and get paid to not play tells me a lot about him as a person. By the age of 23 he should have a lot more than 50 appearances under his belt and this, I suspect, is part of the reason the manager(s) don't rate him.

Not sure if this is a serious comment but if I was a League Two quality player who in the market could command a £1K per week, 2 year contract but some plonker had given me a 5 year contract on £5K a week which had 3.5 years to go and was now offering me £50K to leave early I would probably sit tight.

Of course, all my numbers above are made up but the thing is we do not know the finances to put the thing into context so should definitely not be jumping to conclusions about a players attitude here.
    We don't know his exact circumstances but By not playing he is irreparably damaging his future career. Clubs won't touch with a barge pole him because he's proving he doesn't trust his ability and is more interested in money.
    If he was on a ridiculous contract then maybe it's more understandable but it's unlikely to be life altering even with our owners.
    He should be at the peak of his powers right now and he's knocking about with the u18's of a middling 3rd tier club.
    He's 23. He has another 18 months on his contract so 24/25 when it expires. Hardly likely clubs won't touch him with a barge pole when the likes of Ched Evans and the gangsta bloke at Southend still get contracts. If I had a short career and a contract that would set me up for life that I could not replace elsewhere I would not walk away from it and nor would most.
    Fair enough. But most players are professional footballers because they like playing football.

Even if he's content to sit on his Charlton contract until it runs down, wasting career as he's currently doing can only lead to him soon not having any decent career at all.

• Oggy Red said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's 23. He has another 18 months on his contract so 24/25 when it expires. Hardly likely clubs won't touch him with a barge pole when the likes of Ched Evans and the gangsta bloke at Southend still get contracts. If I had a short career and a contract that would set me up for life that I could not replace elsewhere I would not walk away from it and nor would most.
    Fair enough. But most players are professional footballers because they like playing football.

Even if he's content to sit on his Charlton contract until it runs down, wasting career as he's currently doing can only lead to him soon not having any decent career at all.

I slightly disagree, yes there will be many players who do it because of the love for playing. But I firmly believe there are much, much more players than people realise who just see it as a job so will only think of the money and how they can better themselves that way.

We obviously don't know the full story about Ba. He would add something to the team if he was apart of it, but he's not, so it's wrong to call him greedy or his attitude is bad or that it is the club. Ultimately we don't know. But his wages are taking up some that could be used better elsewhere on someone else who will play.
  • If Ba was a really good player ( premiership standard ) I would think he was being foolish , but as an average player on a good contract , maybe 10k a week I don't blame him for not walking away from that , would you ?
  • If Ba was a really good player ( premiership standard ) I would think he was being foolish , but as an average player on a good contract , maybe 10k a week I don't blame him for not walking away from that , would you ?

No chance he's on 10k
  • Will
    sam3110 said:

If Ba was a really good player ( premiership standard ) I would think he was being foolish , but as an average player on a good contract , maybe 10k a week I don't blame him for not walking away from that , would you ?

No chance he's on 10k
    Would you put it past them if he was?
  • Sponsored links:

• All I know @Henry Irving is that we are looking to sign Reeves on a free at the end of the season. Also there is still interest in Dawson even though Slade has gone.
  • Oh and Anfernee will probably sign a new contract.
  • A choice of Igor or Watt?

Igor wins that all day long. Maybe he's on higher wages though.

Just seen this - if both fit I'd take Watt all day long. Igor's just a standard run of the mill modern footballer. You can't teach what Watt has. Watt's attitude may be shit and that may never change but he'll probably still give you more than Vetokele imo

That's the most frustrating thing about Watt. It's pure talent with a great touch. Such a waste.

The Vetokele's of this world are ten a penny. Athletic. Who cares? that's the standard prototype factory line footballer. I see so much of this these days. Talking up bang average, athletic players. Not having a pop at anyone specifically on here, just saying there's too much hype around footballers' athleticism over true, pure talent. We're very good in England at doing this
  • Very unfair on Igor.

He had and maybe still has a lot more than athleticism.

He could score goals for one, he could play up top and off a main striker, could pick out a pass and yes he was also strong and fairly fast.

I'm just not sure henners. I appreciate that was a really bad injury and yes I'm probably coming across too strong but if you gave me them both fully fit, even with Watt's attitude I'd take him over Igor
  • Igor didn't seem to do much in his first loan, but apparently played well for Sint Truiden in his first game there, and looked pacey
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Is he "not playing" by his choice or ours? I'm guessing that he's not saying "I'll only play with kids".

I never rated him but never heard that he'd refused to play.

It appears we are trying to force him to leave but don't want to pay him off as much as he wants.

He's an expensive mistake which we are still paying for and can't as yet shift.

Yes, he being stubborn holding on to the contract Meire gave him shock horror! Should he just rip up his contract because the club don't want him? Why should he?

The club need to make an offer attractive enough for him to move on but having paid way over the odds that will be expensive so they make him play with the kids to try and force him out. But seems that so far it's not working, pretty much like everything this regime tries.

Yet another in the catalogue of errors made by Driesen and Meire eating up wages Robinson could spend elsewhere. Now they are trying to spin in that he's a greedy bastard and you've fallen for it.
    I've not fallen for anything. I'm saying what I see. A footballer wasting his career
  • cabbles said:

Very unfair on Igor.

He had and maybe still has a lot more than athleticism.

He could score goals for one, he could play up top and off a main striker, could pick out a pass and yes he was also strong and fairly fast.

I'm just not sure henners. I appreciate that was a really bad injury and yes I'm probably coming across too strong but if you gave me them both fully fit, even with Watt's attitude I'd take him over Igor
    Way too strong.

Thing is that they are both our players yet both were out on loan while we paid most of their wages.

Cawley was given a line about Robinson having the choice and picking Watt which is nonsense and Hearts sent him back.

We could have Igor and Watt playing upfront together V Bolton if the club was run semi-sensibly
    And what an exciting attack that would be in this division if they were both here and both fit.

Totally agree that with Igor, he started off so brilliantly it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth the way he was essentially neglected by the club, physically and mentally.

If they were both fit and playing well, I am sure they would both get into most championship teams, let alone ours.

A real shame, and I still hope that he comes back to us in future and picks up where he was before the injury. Maybe very unlikely but as long as he's contracted with us, there's always a chance.

Seems a very nice man too and happy with his wife and young daughter. Good luck to him.
  • As has been alluded to above the recent update from Dr Kish http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201701&date=20170125&time=0505 just shows the very long and ongoing train wreck of our mismanaged transfer policy over the years. How any right minded person can have faith in this lot beggars belief, and new mistakes are added daily.
  • The issues with Ba, Watt, Igor, Sarr and Tex (although the latter and TW have been reprieved due to desperation) is that despite being on our books under 3,4 or 5 managers they have been sidelined for non footballing reasons.
  • Watt isn't allowed to play for another club this season is he? Hardly a choice for Robinson.
  • To be fair, Ba looked very good in the 2-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday, but then so did Simon Makienok.

Fox looked good in some games and so did Nick Pope - would I want them back in the team? No, I wouldn't.

I don't blame Ba for sticking around, it's Meire's incompetence that keeps him here.

He may be able to offer something in a 4-2-3-1 but I am perhaps guilty of the same old thing of "a player is always gets better when he is out of the team".
  • Oggy Red said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

It's all about money at the end of the day.
  • We should be having Watt and Igor back because we ain't getting a marquee signing.