Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• edited January 2017
    cabbles said:

I just have an appreciation for the type of magic Watt can do over the qualities Igor can bring that's all. I can't really explain it. Agree re: the farce that's gone on with both of them (and others). I guess the difficulty is Igor through no fault of his own got that shitty injury and looked pants when he came back, and Watt is lazy prat that needs more than a kick up the arse. Frustrating all round and handled badly by the club

I agree, it looks like he can produce a moment of magic.
    And generally speaking, before laying in to Watt too much it'd be good to wait a few games and see what he can do now. It's possible that he'll have changed for the better. You never know.
  • edited January 2017

We should be having Watt and Igor back because we ain't getting a marquee signing.

This - I don't think we are too far off having a side that could put the necessary run together, but it needs a bit of a punt by the owner. The wages issue has been caused by poor managemnet - I love JJ but it was ridiculous offering him a contract extension, Ba is perfectly entitled to stay under the terms of the contract he was given! They are incompetent and my expectations of this window were low so I can't really be disapointed!

The thing I know is that this league is poor - to put a run together we could easily do it with 2 or 3 signings of the right quality. Those are signings identified by the manager and funded by a very small part of the Lookman money! The owner has to go - it isn't about the money he spends- but the clueless way he spends it! He listens to the wrong people and creates a mess! Every windowis a missed opportunity! There is still time to sort this one out, but expereince says they won't!
  • It's the midfield that has clearly been missing energy all season. We've never replaced Cousins in there. We're too slow on the counter.
  • We should be having Watt and Igor back because we ain't getting a marquee signing.

This - I don't think we are too far off having a side that could put the necessary run together, but it needs a bit of a punt by the owner. The wages issue has been caused by poor managemnet - I love JJ but it was ridiculous offering him a contract extension, Ba is perfectly entitled to stay under the terms of the contract he was given! They are incompetent and my expectations of this window were low so I can't really be disapointed!

The thing I know is that this league is poor - to put a run together we could easily do it with 2 or 3 signings of the right quality. Those are signings identified by the manager and funded by a very small part of the Lookman money! The owner has to go - it isn't about the money he spends- but the clueless way he spends it! He listens to the wrong people and creates a mess! Every windowis a missed opportunity! There is still time to sort this one out, but expereince says they won't!
    Ba hasn't worked out but Lookman has! This is how it works when clubs speculate on young players hoping that their value will increase.

It is looking, now, like the scouting hasn't worked as we have many more failures than successes but it only takes one, or two, big sales to fund the whole project and, realistically, a club the size of Charlton doesn't have an alternative plan - save from having a rich fan bankrolling it.

In Ba's position he must hold on to his contract but let's not pretend that had it worked out, and he'd now been courted by top clubs, we would be willing to let him just leave on a free. The contract (and the wages) are the price the club has to pay to guarantee a big fee if the player comes good and being told when and to where where a player is allowed to move is the price for the wages he earns.

Sometimes the club wins, sometimes the player wins.

I suspect that Alou Diarra has put pay to any players being shown compassion any time soon. He made KM, and the club, look stupid. In my experience Billionaires don't get made to look stupid the same way twice. The club will not risk paying a player off only for him to sign a new contract immediately afterwards. Both Simon Francis and Alan McCormack pulled that trick on the club a few years ago - ironically after doing something very similar with Southend. In the end clubs losing money have to take a pragmatic view and do a deal with the player - billionaires don't!

I don't begrudge Ba his contract, nor do I begrudge Tex, Watt, Sarr, Ceballos, Vetokele, Roger Johnson or Ajose their contacts. The club offered to pay them, in reality, too much and now we are stuck with it but at the same time I would prefer to see the player earn their money than, simply, be paid to f-off - even if that means training with the kids. if we get known for refusing to pay players off then in the end they will chose to do a realistic deal than just wait to be paid a small fortune to not have to turn up for work.
  • iamdan said:

That's a gazebo signing!
  • http://www.otz.de/startseite/detail/-/specific/Jenaer-sondieren-den-Transfermarkt-FC-Carl-Zeiss-will-Tuma-verpflichten-546005920

Our Under 21 Northern Irish youngster Mikhail Kennedy is currently training with Roly's other network club Carl Zeiss Jena ahead of a potential loan move. The Jena boss has been watching him in England.
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.otz.de/startseite/detail/-/specific/Jenaer-sondieren-den-Transfermarkt-FC-Carl-Zeiss-will-Tuma-verpflichten-546005920

Our Under 21 Northern Irish youngster Mikhail Kennedy is currently training with Roly's other network club Carl Zeiss Jena ahead of a potential loan move. The Jena boss has been watching him in England.

Interesting... Might not be a bad move for the lad

Chance to learn and progress in a different atmosphere to one he's no doubt been used to for many years at Sparrows Lane whilst potentially showing higher German clubs what potential he may have.

My one gripe is the same I had with Polish Pete though; if he's going on loan to help his Charlton progression then he also needs game time in League Two or the Conference here in England (like how it helped Dillon Phillips for example)

The European game is so much different to the English version and wonder how useful it'll be for Mikhail and his Charlton development

Interesting... Might not be a bad move for the lad

Chance to learn and progress in a different atmosphere to one he's no doubt been used to for many years at Sparrows Lane whilst potentially showing higher German clubs what potential he may have.

My one gripe is the same I had with Polish Pete though; if he's going on loan to help his Charlton progression then he also needs game time in League Two or the Conference here in England (like how it helped Dillon Phillips for example)

The European game is so much different to the English version and wonder how useful it'll be for Mikhail and his Charlton development
    I am not sure this is to benefit the player - I think it's more likely to be to benefit the club and, therefore, the network. Why have a player that can play in Carl Zeiss Jena's first team in out reserves, or playing for a League Two club?

I'm sure this is why we had all that dross from SL playing for us in 2014.
  • We should be having Watt and Igor back because we ain't getting a marquee signing.

Ba hasn't worked out but Lookman has! This is how it works when clubs speculate on young players hoping that their value will increase
    Huge difference between speculating on Ba compared to Lookman.

Ba was in his early 20s but barely had any first team experience. Likely we paid a 6 figure fee, gave him a good wage (for us) on what we know was a 3 year contract.

It may be worth gambling on the odd player like Ba but that summer every signing was very similar. Fairly young with little first team experience and/or no experience of English football.

Lookman came in on a scholarship at 16, no doubt initially earning very little. Bringing in players at that age isn't much of a risk. When Ba signed by bringing in so many players with similar backgrounds we took a bigger risk than we should have done which led to relegation.

On players contracts being terminated and them signing for another club that's how it usually works. I'm not sure it's a trick, in many cases the club probably knows they've got a move lined up and that's why they agree to end their contract.
  • Igor in the first 3-4 months of his spell with us looked electric. I can't remember being as excited by a striker since Mendonca.

Teams were allegedly sniffing round him after that start and I thought we'd struck gold.

Look at his finish for the second goal away at Brighton it was class.

He was destroyed mentally and physically by being forced to play through a bad achilles injury and then criminally mis-managed after the diagnosis - how long did they wait before operating?

People should remember how young he was when he came to us as well. 22 or 23?

Watt has never been consistent for us and never will be. He will end up in the Scottish 3rd division, 2 stone over weight and scoring 15-20 a season in the 20 odd games he plays.

If Igor had stayed fit we'd have sold him for big money at the end of that first season. He was nailed on for 20+ goals.

Bent's 5 goals in his first 4 games not make you excited?

Generally agree with you about Igor though. Thought we'd finally found that 20 goal a season striker.

Ba hasn't worked out but Lookman has! This is how it works when clubs speculate on young players hoping that their value will increase.

It is looking, now, like the scouting hasn't worked as we have many more failures than successes but it only takes one, or two, big sales to fund the whole project and, realistically, a club the size of Charlton doesn't have an alternative plan - save from having a rich fan bankrolling it.

In Ba's position he must hold on to his contract but let's not pretend that had it worked out, and he'd now been courted by top clubs, we would be willing to let him just leave on a free. The contract (and the wages) are the price the club has to pay to guarantee a big fee if the player comes good and being told when and to where where a player is allowed to move is the price for the wages he earns.

Sometimes the club wins, sometimes the player wins.

I suspect that Alou Diarra has put pay to any players being shown compassion any time soon. He made KM, and the club, look stupid. In my experience Billionaires don't get made to look stupid the same way twice. The club will not risk paying a player off only for him to sign a new contract immediately afterwards. Both Simon Francis and Alan McCormack pulled that trick on the club a few years ago - ironically after doing something very similar with Southend. In the end clubs losing money have to take a pragmatic view and do a deal with the player - billionaires don't!

I don't begrudge Ba his contract, nor do I begrudge Tex, Watt, Sarr, Ceballos, Vetokele, Roger Johnson or Ajose their contacts. The club offered to pay them, in reality, too much and now we are stuck with it but at the same time I would prefer to see the player earn their money than, simply, be paid to f-off - even if that means training with the kids. if we get known for refusing to pay players off then in the end they will chose to do a realistic deal than just wait to be paid a small fortune to not have to turn up for work.
    I think meire does that very well herself without any help from others
  • Come on guys, be patient...
  • Sponsored links:

• Today's press conference tells you all you need to know about the rest of the transfer window.

"I've had a lot of difficulties in the window"

"I'm not going to put the club in danger in this silly window [with frivolous transfers]"

"I certainly think people have to leave the building, yes"
  • Marquee signing?
    Something has been lost here in the translation from English to French and Flemish and back to English.
    As many of you festival goers will be aware, lots of tents and similar are left behind after the music has finished and the revellers have gone back to their workaday wage slave regular lives. The tents aren't especially valuable but have to be cleared away from the sites. A few enterprising souls, catching on to the contemporary fashion for recycling, have started earning themselves a few quid collecting the poles and fabric and selling them on for whatever they can get. Better than just going into landfill obviously. Having quailed at the cost of the couple of gas burners and 3-way-valves needed to occasionally circulate tepid water round his new underpitch plastic pipework, Roly has been taking steps to mitigate the chances of matches being frozen off by topping up the club's hitherto woefully inadequate frost covers. "A few square metres of upcycled tent fabric will do nicely and will only cost a couple of €uros". How's that one working for you mister president?
  • Yep move along nothing to see here. Hopefully got enough on board to stay up this year.but hey least we got another former Charlton player to watch on match of the day out of this transfer window oh the joy.
  • anyone know the Samaritans number ?
  • We are the only club that could sell two players for (upto) 9m and then not have the money to buy new ones.

Seriously hoping this is part of his end game, if not we are even more screwed than I thought.
  • I am bored shitless with all of this now.

He must be on his way out, surely.