Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• Options
    Word of advice Karl, you don't need to do an interview after everything that happens. The club announced that business was done and that should have been it-now look what you've gone and done!

I was massively pro KR and, whilst he still has my full support, this episode has made me see him in a slightly different light and I will be questioning a lot of what he comes out with from here on. Maybe he wasn't subject to the same level of scrutiny at MK and he'll learn to keep his mouth shut but, if he doesn't and the results suffer, he is going to look very stupid. He has already nailed his colours to the mast by talking about summer targets and getting on the case already-a real Katrienism that could bite him on the arse at the start of next season. If he hasn't been relieved of his duties by then.......
  • Options

MK supporter in peace.

I know 99% of you dislike our club and what it "stands for", but that isn't what I'm here to debate. I sympathise with you lot and your situation with your owner, and think Charlton belong at a higher level than League 1.

I'm here to talk a bit about Karl Robinson, after the very underhand and unprofessional interview he gave last night concerning us.

(apologies for the post length..)

Karl Robinson is a hypocrite.

In his recent post-window interview he gave, he gave a very familiar interview putting blame on other clubs as to why he had failed to land certain players. With the comments he made, it was easy to read between the lines and notice he was talking about he previous club MK Dons and his pursuit of one of our players which was likely Ben Reeves (but possibly Darren Potter who he is also a big fan of).

Both of those players are contracted with us until the summer and have been at this club for years. Publically, at least, both of those players also want to play for our club and stay here, at least for now. Publically, Robinson has also said he wants Ben Reeves.

The thing is, we’ve seen something similar very recently involving Karl, MK Dons and a player of ours, except the other way round. This time involving our defender Kyle McFadzean last summer. Sheffield United were very interested in signing him and made a bid for him.

Karl Robinson publically went on record to say that he “would not sell to a league rival” as it would strengthen a club playing in the same league as us. (Link to interview here: http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/dons-want-away-mcfadzean-won-t-be-sold-to-rivals-sheffield-united-1-7451523 ).

We later sold McFadzean to a Championship club (Burton Albion), accepting a bid of less than what Sheffield United apparently offered. Robinson had stuck by his words, at least, and Sheffield United weren’t very happy. Another important point in that affair was that McFadzean actually wanted to leave our club and had refused to attend training. This is not the case with Reeves.

His whole pursuit of Reeves has been very unsavoury. Robinson has not only publically said he wants the player, but last night, heavily criticised us for not selling him a player that goes completely against his principles whilst here at MK. On top of that, the player, publically at least is happy here and has showed no signs of wanting to leave (he is yet to sign a new contract, but none of our players at all have either yet).

What happened to “we won’t sell to a league rival” or “we won’t strengthen someone else and leave us weaker” Karl? Encouraging the exact opposite of what he was so adamant about last summer. He should know our view, yet has tried to force our hand, and when things haven’t gone his way has thrown his toys out of the pram.

Also, worth pointing out that the “passion” and “frustration” he showed in his video interview last night, is almost identical to the one he gave to MK after the summer window. I’m sure most of you have seen it. In fact, I’ve seen a few of his post-match interviews he’s given to Charlton and they are the same excuses, same finger pointing. The usual “we dominated”, “we were the better team”, blaming the referee, and everyone but himself.

Karl, perhaps, it’s not them, it’s you? And I’m not talking just about losing games, but dealings in the transfer window. We had a fairly good window at MK this January, and have a very assured and competent manager in Robbie Neilson who is doing good things here, and given the choice I would pick Neilson over Robinson every time.

Any respect I had for Karl has gone now. He did good things whilst he was here, particularly with our academy sides, encouraging development of young players like Dele Alli, Brendan Galloway etc, but he has the personality attributes of a toddler, gets frustrated easily, throws his toys out of the pram when things don’t go his way, and is a very stubborn tactician on the pitch.

I do think he might sneak Charlton into the playoffs, but be under no illusions with him, he has no real loyalty, out for himself and his reputation, and is a bit of a hypocrite in my opinion. It seems a lot of you have seen through it already.

I don't doubt any of what you say but I seriously doubt that there are many people in football that have loyalty and/or are not out for themselves.

Robinson would be off in a shot if a Premier League side came in for him, as would Robbie Neilson, I suspect.

I also can't think of many managers that don't blame everything else when they lose - it's all part of protecting your job and your reputation.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

shirty5 said:

Maybe it's just me but I really liked that interview. I think he's honest and I'm not sure why propel don't like him.

I don't dislike the fella, but I just can't get over that when you sell a player for a few million, that other clubs will put the price up for players that we want.

Does he not get that?
    Oh he gets that. It's just that Charlton were being quoted more than other clubs for the same player. I can see why that might piss of Robinson.

How would he know this?????
    Agents would keep him in touch
    And are we clear that the player in question has actually been sold to another club?

See I am not quite clear what the alleged motive of the other club is here.
    IT_Andy said:

From what I saw at Bolton we should have a good enough squad to make a challenge for the playoffs.
    No, I'm not totally impressed with the signings but do believe KR has made an effort to sign players. This transfer window is always stupid and clubs will continue to ask for silly money. I'm surprised Bolton sold Zac Clough to Forrest because that's them finished for an automatic promotion place. Also very high prices being paid for average Premier league (Snodgrass) and Championship players.
    Fast attacking players, I assume are hard to find. The main criticism I have is getting too many loan players, so major recruitment is needed in the summer, which might explain why KR is doing this now.

But , could the loans be permanent if promoted?. Surely hard to attract in div 1.
  • Options
    Ok everyone just look towards this ! Lookman did not exist ? Ajose, has never scored more than 3 goals in a season ever, Fox is Shit,
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Genuinely annoyed as per usual by the antics at our once great club, but can't we give all the anti Karl stuff a rest. If you think he is an idiot or whatever, so what he is our idiot. Back the team not the regime is the mantra on here but as manager he is part of the team.

I suspect that this is the source of any disagreements between fans specifically about Karl. - do you see KR as part of the regime or the team? I think you can make arguments both ways and in many ways the manager position is the dividing line if you separate team and regime.

I had warmed to him but I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. Roland out
  • Options
    Can't take anyone who would even consider supporting MK Dons seriously.
  • Options

MK supporter in peace.

I know 99% of you dislike our club and what it "stands for", but that isn't what I'm here to debate. I sympathise with you lot and your situation with your owner, and think Charlton belong at a higher level than League 1.

I'm here to talk a bit about Karl Robinson, after the very underhand and unprofessional interview he gave last night concerning us.

(apologies for the post length..)

Karl Robinson is a hypocrite.

In his recent post-window interview he gave, he gave a very familiar interview putting blame on other clubs as to why he had failed to land certain players. With the comments he made, it was easy to read between the lines and notice he was talking about he previous club MK Dons and his pursuit of one of our players which was likely Ben Reeves (but possibly Darren Potter who he is also a big fan of).

Both of those players are contracted with us until the summer and have been at this club for years. Publically, at least, both of those players also want to play for our club and stay here, at least for now. Publically, Robinson has also said he wants Ben Reeves.

The thing is, we’ve seen something similar very recently involving Karl, MK Dons and a player of ours, except the other way round. This time involving our defender Kyle McFadzean last summer. Sheffield United were very interested in signing him and made a bid for him.

Karl Robinson publically went on record to say that he “would not sell to a league rival” as it would strengthen a club playing in the same league as us. (Link to interview here: http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/dons-want-away-mcfadzean-won-t-be-sold-to-rivals-sheffield-united-1-7451523 ).

We later sold McFadzean to a Championship club (Burton Albion), accepting a bid of less than what Sheffield United apparently offered. Robinson had stuck by his words, at least, and Sheffield United weren’t very happy. Another important point in that affair was that McFadzean actually wanted to leave our club and had refused to attend training. This is not the case with Reeves.

His whole pursuit of Reeves has been very unsavoury. Robinson has not only publically said he wants the player, but last night, heavily criticised us for not selling him a player that goes completely against his principles whilst here at MK. On top of that, the player, publically at least is happy here and has showed no signs of wanting to leave (he is yet to sign a new contract, but none of our players at all have either yet).

What happened to “we won’t sell to a league rival” or “we won’t strengthen someone else and leave us weaker” Karl? Encouraging the exact opposite of what he was so adamant about last summer. He should know our view, yet has tried to force our hand, and when things haven’t gone his way has thrown his toys out of the pram.

Also, worth pointing out that the “passion” and “frustration” he showed in his video interview last night, is almost identical to the one he gave to MK after the summer window. I’m sure most of you have seen it. In fact, I’ve seen a few of his post-match interviews he’s given to Charlton and they are the same excuses, same finger pointing. The usual “we dominated”, “we were the better team”, blaming the referee, and everyone but himself.

Karl, perhaps, it’s not them, it’s you? And I’m not talking just about losing games, but dealings in the transfer window. We had a fairly good window at MK this January, and have a very assured and competent manager in Robbie Neilson who is doing good things here, and given the choice I would pick Neilson over Robinson every time.

Any respect I had for Karl has gone now. He did good things whilst he was here, particularly with our academy sides, encouraging development of young players like Dele Alli, Brendan Galloway etc, but he has the personality attributes of a toddler, gets frustrated easily, throws his toys out of the pram when things don’t go his way, and is a very stubborn tactician on the pitch.

I do think he might sneak Charlton into the playoffs, but be under no illusions with him, he has no real loyalty, out for himself and his reputation, and is a bit of a hypocrite in my opinion. It seems a lot of you have seen through it already.

Who did you support pre 2004?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beardface said:

JamesSeed said:

IN:
    Proper players: JFC, Byrne and Page.

Players with potential: Dasilva and Mavididi

OUT:
    Ajose, Ba, Foley, Fox, Hanlan, Lookman

On paper that looks pretty dire business, in terms of numbers.

Alternatively; only Lookman (top quality), and Fox (arguably) were worth their places in the side.

JFC, Byrne and Page look like automatic selections (despite Chicksen suddenly looking very good).

Mavididi must have something or Driesen , sorry, Robinson wouldn't have signed him. He looks like a player with potential. Dasilva perhaps the same, but less athletic.

Overall I'm going to risk ridicule and say we're better off now than we were in December.

But it's clear that the Lookman millions are missing. Expected some of the money would go towards recouping 'losses', but had hoped that a few million might be set aside for squad strengthening.

The acid test will come in the summer after we've (probably) missed out on promotion.
    Those of you that have experienced the last three or four summer transfer windows will advise fans not to hold their breath.

On this point here - Mavididi said in his CAFC video that he first knew of Charlton's interest in the Summer. Way before Robinson was even on the radar. He is, at best, a Slade signing. At worst, a Driesden signing. Coupled with the fact that he came in at the end of the window suggests to me he's not Robinson's at all. Whether he has potential or not is another matter - but I don't believe he's what Robinson wanted or what we need.
    I have to disagree. I think with Mag injured a centre forward is exactly what we needed. Just because he was identified as a good player by someone else does not diminish the move, unless Robbo did not want him, and that does not seem to be the case.
  • Options
    Beardface said:

JamesSeed said:

IN:

OUT:

Alternatively; only Lookman (top quality), and Fox (arguably) were worth their places in the side.

JFC, Byrne and Page look like automatic selections (despite Chicksen suddenly looking very good).

Mavididi must have something or Driesen , sorry, Robinson wouldn't have signed him. He looks like a player with potential. Dasilva perhaps the same, but less athletic.

Overall I'm going to risk ridicule and say we're better off now than we were in December.

But it's clear that the Lookman millions are missing. Expected some of the money would go towards recouping 'losses', but had hoped that a few million might be set aside for squad strengthening.

The acid test will come in the summer after we've (probably) missed out on promotion.
    Those of you that have experienced the last three or four summer transfer windows will advise fans not to hold their breath.

On this point here - Mavididi said in his CAFC video that he first knew of Charlton's interest in the Summer. Way before Robinson was even on the radar. He is, at best, a Slade signing. At worst, a Driesden signing. Coupled with the fact that he came in at the end of the window suggests to me he's not Robinson's at all. Whether he has potential or not is another matter - but I don't believe he's what Robinson wanted or what we need.
    Possibly a Steve Head recommendation. Just as likely or more so than Driesen.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Beardface said:

JamesSeed said:

IN:

OUT:

I have to disagree. I think with Mag injured a centre forward is exactly what we needed. Just because he was identified as a good player by someone else does not diminish the move, unless Robbo did not want him, and that does not seem to be the case.
    Agree we need a CF but one with no professional competitive experience? Hope he does well but I can't imagine this was anyone's first, second or third choice.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

IN:

OUT:

To the ins as these players have strengthened the squad you need to add Watt and would also suggest Aribo and possibly Dikjsteel.
    Not really transfers, but yes, you can look at them as good players who have become available to the team.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Floebot said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vij6WD3crY

This was an interesting watch

Hmmm Robbo says very similar to what he said yesterday! Almost word perfect!
  • Options
    Beardface said:

Redrobo said:

Beardface said:

JamesSeed said:

IN:

OUT:

Agree we need a CF but one with no professional competitive experience? Hope he does well but I can't imagine this was anyone's first, second or third choice.
    I agree. I think it was more likely that it was a CF he did not get that upset him and this was the backstop.
  • Options

So going back to the Robinson discussion. I still hold the same opinion as I had when he was at MKD.

He's a decent manager that spouts a load of bollocks and doesn't know when to shut up.

However, my personal opinion of Wenger, Mouhrino, Warnock etc isn't exactly great, but I'd love it if they were our manager.

So in summary, he spouts bollocks, but if he can make a success of our club, then he has my full backing.

You've named two legends of management. Alongside Warnock.
  • Options
    I'm ignoring the interviews KR does. They sound bad, and life is too short to waste listening to rubbish. If he manage the team, and get's us playing football again, I'll be happy. I don't care if he's from Liverpool, or what accent he has - it's about as relevant to his abilities to manage as his favourite soup. ahe seems on initial showing to have some idea of getting the team to function as a unit again. Whether the summer teaches him how Little money RD is prepared to invest in the team, or whether the regime actually decide to build a competetive squad for once in a lifetime is for the summer. For now, it's about getting the team to play, pass the ball, keep clean sheets and score goals.
    And to the MKD fan, interesting input. People in managerial positions seldom change, so I can imagine we may well enjoy a similar experience in the future with Karl (and yes, I don't see why he thought MKD were 'obliged' to sell him whoever he fancied picking out of their squad) but sadly, the football way is that he is our manager, and has done nothing I can see to warrant any strong anti feelings as yet. Come back in may and see what we are saying :-)
  • Options
    Beardface said:

Redrobo said:

Beardface said:

JamesSeed said:

IN:

OUT:

It's a dilemma because an experienced CF would be looking to start games but we already have TW, JM and LK in the category.

So harder to convince them to come and they cost more.

But an 18 year old might be more willing to be a sqaud player, although maybe not his club, so fits the bill.

And maybe the parent club do a deal on wages.

With sonogo we started paying his full wages but they went down with every game he started until he had started five at which point he was free. I don't think he ever did but it's an example.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Beardface said:

Redrobo said:

Beardface said:

JamesSeed said:

IN:

OUT:

It's a dilemma because an experienced CF would be looking to start games but we already have TW, JM and LK in the category.

So harder to convince them to come and they cost more.

But an 18 year old might be more willing to be a sqaud player, although maybe not his club, so fits the bill.

And maybe the parent club do a deal on wages.

With sonogo we started paying his full wages but they went down with every game he started until he had started five at which point he was free. I don't think he ever did but it's an example.

Agree @Henry Irving - I guess the issue is people are arguing two different points - one is we needed a CF and this guy doesn't really fit the bill, the other is we have three already so it's fourth choice back up / squad player. Only time will tell if it was the right choice. I don't think Mavididi will add much to the squad given his position but v. happy to be proved wrong by the lad.

Interesting insight re Sonogo contract - wasn't aware of that. Can't imagine Mavididi is on similar money but may be structured in a similar way - seems we have a good relationship with Arsenal so who knows.
  • Options
    @MKDinpeace

Thanks for your insight.

You've basically answered a straightforward question which no-one could answer last night on this thread. Robinson appeared to be saying that another club (we all seemed to understand it was MKD) had prevented us from signing his key target by quoting us a price he found way too high. He then went on to suggest that this player was sold to another club for far less. Several people asserted that Robinson would have known this through info from agents.

So the question was, what on earth would be the motive of the other club? Robinson implied that it was that they somehow didn't like "us" and wanted to piss us off. That seemed to me like cloud cuckoo land. If they wanted to sell a player, they would sell him to the highest bidder. One poster assumed that the player concerned was Samir Carruthers, who has been sold to the Blades.

There could of course have been a simpler explanation. Robinson wanted to sign a player a club did not want to sell (and did not sell). It is the most normal situation there could be (although it often seems like it doesn't apply at Charlton). You seem to be sure that this is the case here. He wanted Reeves, and you didn't want to sell. Well fair enough. If that's the case then his outburst is even more ridiculous and pointless than I first thought.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

@MKDinpeace

Thanks for your insight.

You've basically answered a straightforward question which no-one could answer last night on this thread. Robinson appeared to be saying that another club (we all seemed to understand it was MKD) had prevented us from signing his key target by quoting us a price he found way too high. He then went on to suggest that this player was sold to another club for far less. Several people asserted that Robinson would have known this through info from agents.

So the question was, what on earth would be the motive of the other club? Robinson implied that it was that they somehow didn't like "us" and wanted to piss us off. That seemed to me like cloud cuckoo land. If they wanted to sell a player, they would sell him to the highest bidder. One poster assumed that the player concerned was Samir Carruthers, who has been sold to the Blades.

There could of course have been a simpler explanation. Robinson wanted to sign a player a club did not want to sell (and did not sell). It is the most normal situation there could be (although it often seems like it doesn't apply at Charlton). You seem to be sure that this is the case here. He wanted Reeves, and you didn't want to sell. Well fair enough. If that's the case then his outburst is even more ridiculous and pointless than I first thought.

I explained this to you last night.

My guess would be KR probably had a max of £250K & MKD wanted £500K for Reeves.

"I've assumed KR was talking about Reeves & MKD. Reeves being the number 10 he keeps banging on about.

I'm guessing at a possible fee as Reeves is out of contract & free in the summer.

As far as I'm aware Reeves stayed at MKD."
  • Options

@MKDinpeace

Thanks for your insight.

"I've assumed KR was talking about Reeves & MKD. Reeves being the number 10 he keeps banging on about.

I'm guessing at a possible fee as Reeves is out of contract & free in the summer.

You did, however someone else suggested it was Carruthers, who was actually sold. And Robinson was suggesting that the player was offered to other clubs for half what we were quoted. if indeed it was Reeves, then KR's rant makes no sense as Reeves wasn't sold to anyone! So I think it's good we have that independent viewpoint from @MKDinpeace.

• Options
    Leuth said:

I'm planning to disregard everything that MK Dons fan has said and make my own mind up on KR

Exactly. He will be telling us how to steal a football club next
  • Options
    edited February 2017

@MKDinpeace

Thanks for your insight.

You did, however someone else suggested it was Carruthers, who was actually sold. And Robinson was suggesting that the player was offered to other clubs for half what we were quoted. if indeed it was Reeves, then KR's rant makes no sense as Reeves wasn't sold to anyone! So I think it's good we have that independent viewpoint from @MKDinpeace.

I understand his rant, but think he should keep his trap shut.

Basically, KR alleges that MKD wanted more money from us than other clubs for Reeves.

So possibly they would accept say £250K from elsewhere, but no one bid that amount. We did and they said no, we want more.

Tbh, I can't say I blame them, as he's been banging on about Reeves for some time, which is pretty disrespectful to them and even more galling to them as their ex-manager.
  • Options
    3 January windows with the Belgian mafia. The one just gone has probably been the most productive yet it still feels like a total damp squib.

The other half of me is saying give Robinson a summer window and the start of next season (which will almost certainly be in League One).

The paradox of the regime.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

I must be in a minority thinking we were one signing away from a good window...

IN:
    JFC looks exactly what we needed, Byrne looks good and Page sounds promising

Dasilva and Mavididi promising youngsters.

OUT:
    Ajose - couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo, Fox - shit, Ba - Very shit, Hanlan - a good out, needs game time and confidence, Lookman - we got a lot of money for him and he wanted to go. He was also, in my opinion in a very poor run of form and hadn't looked all that bar the odd goal.

I think had we signed Reeves it would have been a good window... The only reason people are moaning is because they know we have 11 million in the coffers. We were never going to splash out. As sad as it is that this cunty regime have dampened expectations, they have, in my eyes it hasn't been a bad window at all, it just hasnt been a great one.

Depressingly it seems you are not alone.

You may not have rated fox, many did and motm for the first game at his new club.

Lookman was mustard, and netted a decent wedge.

We were a few hundred grand or maximum a million or so away from mounting a serious challenge on the play offs.

Others knew it, and so did we.

So we bottled it.

Again.

As we have every transfer window.