Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• Options

Can't take anyone who would even consider supporting MK Dons seriously.

Strange opinion. It's my local club, I really don't care about anything pre-2004. It's in the past, not going to change and we arent going anywhere.

My opinion is worth listening to as Karl Robinson was our manager for 6 years, and I've heard pretty much everything he's had to say about matches/transfers as well as his management style during that time.

He's not a bad football manager at all, he just needs some proper media training and a backbone, and to stop whinging when he's being treated by another club the way he treated other clubs with transfers (e.g with McFadzean for us).

• Options
    He mentioned the other club possibly being jealous of our generations of fans. Can that be any other club than MK Dons?

He's also talked quite a bit about needing a "number 10" and we never brought one in. He he's also talked about Reeves, how he's out of contract and could sign him in the summer.

He favours 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with a lone striker and two wingers. Having five strikers would be one too many and no proven striker is going to come to League One as cover for Watt and Magennis.

Maybe the other club asked for too much, maybe RD/KM should have allowed us to offer a bit more. He's not going to publically criticize RD or KM if it's the latter (and I'm not saying it is). What I don't see is why another club should be expected to sell their players just because we think our offer is big enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Redrobo said:

@MKDinpeace

Thanks for your insight.

You've basically answered a straightforward question which no-one could answer last night on this thread. Robinson appeared to be saying that another club (we all seemed to understand it was MKD) had prevented us from signing his key target by quoting us a price he found way too high. He then went on to suggest that this player was sold to another club for far less. Several people asserted that Robinson would have known this through info from agents.

So the question was, what on earth would be the motive of the other club? Robinson implied that it was that they somehow didn't like "us" and wanted to piss us off. That seemed to me like cloud cuckoo land. If they wanted to sell a player, they would sell him to the highest bidder. One poster assumed that the player concerned was Samir Carruthers, who has been sold to the Blades.

There could of course have been a simpler explanation. Robinson wanted to sign a player a club did not want to sell (and did not sell). It is the most normal situation there could be (although it often seems like it doesn't apply at Charlton). You seem to be sure that this is the case here. He wanted Reeves, and you didn't want to sell. Well fair enough. If that's the case then his outburst is even more ridiculous and pointless than I first thought.

I explained this to you last night.

"I've assumed KR was talking about Reeves & MKD. Reeves being the number 10 he keeps banging on about.

I'm guessing at a possible fee as Reeves is out of contract & free in the summer.

As far as I'm aware Reeves stayed at MKD."
    You did, however someone else suggested it was Carruthers, who was actually sold. And Robinson was suggesting that the player was offered to other clubs for half what we were quoted. if indeed it was Reeves, then KR's rant makes no sense as Reeves wasn't sold to anyone! So I think it's good we have that independent viewpoint from @MKDinpeace.

I understand his rant, but think he should keep his trap shut.

Basically, KR alleges that MKD wanted more money from us than other clubs for Reeves.

So possibly they would accept say £250K from elsewhere, but no one bid that amount. We did and they said no, we want more.

Tbh, I can't say I blame them, as he's been banging on about Reeves for some time, which is pretty disrespectful to them and even more galling to them as their ex-manager.
    Sorry, but you are making this up with no knowledge whatsoever. Who said he is talking about Reeves? You like others are guessing.

I would have thought it would more be a centre forward not a no 10. I would put forward in support of my view is that we signed a CF on loan and got rid of a CF on loan. We have Watt who is more a number 10 than a CF so this is less of a priority and we do not have any big no 9's in the squad. My guess, but I like you I have no idea as to who he is talking about.

As for Robbo being disrespectful, bollocks. They sacked him. He plucked the player out of crap football and it cost them f.all. What does he owe them? Thanks for the memory and bye. I hope he signs a pre contract very soon.

As for keeping his trap shut; I like to hear as much as possible about anything Charlton. The closer to the action the noise is from the better. Love it, love it, just love it. Keep it coming Robbo.
    Yes, it is what you would call an educated guess. But I'm extremely confident I'm right.

Which centre forward do you think it is we wanted from MKD ?

I'd suggest he owes MKD and all clubs a bit of respect, instead of trying to force them to sell a player to us.

I could and do listen & talk about Charlton all day every day, but I prefer the talk to be understandable & sensible, rather than incoherant rants.
  • Options
    Did he actually say "Reeve" ? If so, that's bang out of order, if he hinted (at most) as to who the player might be that he wanted to sign then I'm not sure it's in the same category.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Did he actually say "Reeve" ? If so, that's bang out of order, if he hinted (at most) as to who the player might be that he wanted to sign then I'm not sure it's in the same category.

He hinted. He didn't name a club or player.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

I don't think it's crying wolf. I think it's his management style. He likes to create a siege mentality - 'they're all against us lads, let's show em'. Whether you think that's a modern management technique or a bit Ron Atkinson is open to debate, but I don't think there's anything devious or underhand in it. He definitely gives a shit and that'll do for me. As others have said, it's about results now.

If it's not true then it is devious and underhand.

So either you believe that by pure coincidence that some nasty people did the dirty on him at MK Dons and now some other nasty people (maybe from MK Dons) did the dirty on him now OR he's making it up to create a siege mentality?

Which do you think it is @Valley11 ?
    I don't think he's making it up and I didn't say that in my post.
    I think it's highly likely that a club told him they didn't want to sell him a player when he was manager at MK Dons and now at Charlton. That's not pure coincidence, that's the transfer market. The issue is KR bleating about. He is a little naive and possibly stupid for voicing his frustration. But I think that's part of his schtick and, in his mind, helps to create a siege mentality. Personally I like the bloke and, while I detest the regime and can therefore understand why people are sceptical, i think some of the analysis on this thread is verging on paranoia.
    As I said, like any manager, it's about what happens on the pitch now and there have been signs in the last five games that he's getting it right. Let's hope that takes us to a play off win.
    COYRs.
  • Options

In his recent post-window interview he gave, he gave a very familiar interview putting blame on other clubs as to why he had failed to land certain players. With the comments he made, it was easy to read between the lines and notice he was talking about he previous club MK Dons and his pursuit of one of our players which was likely Ben Reeves (but possibly Darren Potter who he is also a big fan of).

Both of those players are contracted with us until the summer and have been at this club for years. Publically, at least, both of those players also want to play for our club and stay here, at least for now. Publically, Robinson has also said he wants Ben Reeves.

Are they any good though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In his recent post-window interview he gave, he gave a very familiar interview putting blame on other clubs as to why he had failed to land certain players. With the comments he made, it was easy to read between the lines and notice he was talking about he previous club MK Dons and his pursuit of one of our players which was likely Ben Reeves (but possibly Darren Potter who he is also a big fan of).

Both of those players are contracted with us until the summer and have been at this club for years. Publically, at least, both of those players also want to play for our club and stay here, at least for now. Publically, Robinson has also said he wants Ben Reeves.

Are they any good though
    Both decent players who would improve our midfield. I think Powell tried to sign Potter once didn't he?
  • Options

Are they any good though
    Both decent players who would improve our midfield. I think Powell tried to sign Potter once didn't he?
    Would have been a magic signing
    Chortle
  • Options
    It could have been the Liverpool transfer that got up his nose. I am surprised that did not go through.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

It could have been the Liverpool transfer that got up his nose. I am surprised that did not go through.

Jordan Williams didnt go anywhere in the end.

Wonder if he's going to see out his Contract and then rather than Liverpool get a transfer fee, Williams (and his Agent) can then demand a signing on fee somewhere themselves and make more money.

Wont be the first Scouser to get paid for a few months without doing anything (Couldnt resist)
  • Options
    All these words on this thread, are they rumours of players we are going to sign in the summer or ones we have missed out on?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

All these words on this thread, are they rumours of players we are going to sign in the summer or ones we have missed out on?

We tried to get those words but the OED were quoting us silly prices just 'cause we're Charlton.
  • Options
    Back to rumours did this ever get posted?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-youngster-ezri-konsa-a-january-target-for-premier-league-giants-a3455811.html

Apparently there was interest in Konsa in January which we dismissed.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Jordan Williams didnt go anywhere in the end.

Wonder if he's going to see out his Contract and then rather than Liverpool get a transfer fee, Williams (and his Agent) can then demand a signing on fee somewhere themselves and make more money.

Wont be the first Scouser to get paid for a few months without doing anything (Couldnt resist)
    You lost me there...
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

this thread should be closed

Agreed - the window has closed and its no longer January.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-youngster-ezri-konsa-a-january-target-for-premier-league-giants-a3455811.html

KM: "We have a fantastic academy here and it is testament to everyone at the club that Charlton continues to develop high-quality young players," Meire said.

"Our long-term ambition is that we get ourselves into a position where our talented young players, even when there is interest from Premier League clubs, want to stay with us."

The PR machine at work I should think? It's practically the opposite of Duchatelet's stated business model.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Ping Pong

• Options
    Stewart said:

Scoham said:

Ping Pong

• Options
    Christ that is a serious set of gnashers
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

KM: "We have a fantastic academy here and it is testament to everyone at the club that Charlton continues to develop high-quality young players," Meire said.

"Our long-term ambition is that we get ourselves into a position where our talented young players, even when there is interest from Premier League clubs, want to stay with us."

The PR machine at work I should think? It's practically the opposite of Duchatelet's stated business model.
    Opposite of what KM said herself in Dublin!
  • Options

Manny Frimpong - one of the worst players to wear a charlton shirt - on a par with about 500 others.
    I don't know if I'd put him up there. He looked really good in his first appearance but then he clearly just wasn't fit. He's no Eggert Jonsson
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Manny Frimpong - one of the worst players to wear a charlton shirt - on a par with about 500 others.
    I don't know if I'd put him up there. He looked really good in his first appearance but then he clearly just wasn't fit. He's no Eggert Jonsson
    God EJ was awful think he made his debut away from home somewhere at half time, which escapes me, but he really was dreadful.
  • Options
    I see Fri pong is back with Arsenal, playing at Arsenal stadium..... In Russia!