Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jay Dasilva Signs on loan from Chelsea

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Macronate said:

Shouldn't we perhaps take this at face value for once. We've signed a Premier League youngster who is very well thought of by his club. He fits the bill in being able to play left back if Fox leaves and has enough about him to play other roles where we have been lacking.

I think I'm dismissing the negatives being spouted by everyone and just going to be happy that for once we've appeared to sign the top end of the youngster loan market.

Well done Robinson and the club.

I think that's fair enough but I wonder if he will be used at left back even when Fox leaves. His pace could be a weapon in this league and may be wasted at the back.
    Why? Plenty of teams use pacey wing backs, Spurs for example. There seems to be an impression that playing at the back is somewhat of a lesser position. I'm sure KR will know exactly who where his best position is and who is supposed to be replacing.
    I'm sure he will, I didn't suggest otherwise.

Spurs don't use wing backs, Rose and Walker are full backs who get forward.

Not been this season but doesn't KR favour 4 at the back? Was just wondering if he intends to deploy Chicksen at left back with DaSilva further forward as part of the 3 if he plays a 4-2-3-1.
  • Options
    Hopefully he's a real top player, assuming Foxy bingo is dancing out the door.
  • Options

I'm going to get it out of the way nice and early, he's shit!

And if he's not, he will be by the end of his stay.
    Lol
  • Options

Too short.

Should you really be called "happy" Valley ?

I'm sure it's aspirational
  • Options
    This could potentially be a blinding signing, an up and coming youngster joining us from one of the countries biggest clubs, gives Morgan Fox a lot more competition, and means we can take him out of the firing line occasionally, can't wait to see what other treats are in store in January.
  • Options
    Looks quite alright but look where relying on youth has us.
  • Options

This could potentially be a blinding signing, an up and coming youngster joining us from one of the countries biggest clubs, gives Morgan Fox a lot more competition, and means we can take him out of the firing line occasionally, can't wait to see what other treats are in store in January.

Sheffield is certainly out of the firing line.

• Options

He's coming in because Fox is going though.

I hope da Silva is a success because if he is then it gives us a decent chance of getting another promising Chelsea kid on loan next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome Jay! Looks a tidy player with a very attacking head on!
  • Options

Shouldn't we perhaps take this at face value for once. We've signed a Premier League youngster who is very well thought of by his club. He fits the bill in being able to play left back if Fox leaves and has enough about him to play other roles where we have been lacking.

I think I'm dismissing the negatives being spouted by everyone and just going to be happy that for once we've appeared to sign the top end of the youngster loan market.

Well said!
  • Options
    Sounds, promising, I can't see us playing a 5ft 4 18 year old at LB in a back 4 so I imagine he'll have a more attacking role. I don't see him as a replacement for Fox.

5ft 4 eh, I imagine Solly will be walking around feeling 10ft tall now! Seriously, it's hard to imagine any player that small in the modern Premier League.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2016

He's coming in because Fox is going though.

I hope da Silva is a success because if he is then it gives us a decent chance of getting another promising Chelsea kid on loan next season.
    Dear God
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Looks useful in those you tube clips, providing he can make the step up to men's football, could be exactly what we've been looking for and sadly lacking in terms of an attacking threat, from left back.

Joking aside the 'too small' comments could be a concern however if he and Solly become the full back pairing as I'm sure @Tutt-Tutt will agree opposition scouts will favour overload with their tall players at the far posts from set pieces, especially as apart from the CBs and CF we are not blessed with too many six footers. It's not KRs favoured formation but maybe three CBs and two wing backs might be the way to go?

Chicksen (a bit taller at 5'8'') of course acquitted himself well at Bradford as LB recently and could be the replacement for Fox with JD playing further forward.

Welcome and good luck Jay.
  • Options
    I imagine this is the sort of loan signing we wouldn't have got under Slade, as Robinson has a reputation of playing young players and playing "proper" football. Whether 18 year olds PL loanees will help us remains to be seen...
  • Options
    Erhun Otzumer is I'm pretty sure 5'3 and has 8 goals this season. Honestly I don't see why he'd stifle anywhere along the left side.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I hope he has a spectacularly successful loan spell for the rest of the season. But he doesn't seem to be the "sort" of player we need to recruit to drag us up the table.

Shouldn't we be looking for hardened, experienced players that have proven themselves to be up for the battle over many seasons? The sort that Lennie used to sign: hungry and angry.

He will be used to perfect pitch conditions, spectacular facilities, brilliant team-mates in peak physical condition, the highest standards of preparation, fitness and medical oversight. He's never played in L1 before.

I'm underwhelmed.

hard to find a better pitch than the Valley nowadays
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Crusty54 said:

Chizz said:

I hope he has a spectacularly successful loan spell for the rest of the season. But he doesn't seem to be the "sort" of player we need to recruit to drag us up the table.

Shouldn't we be looking for hardened, experienced players that have proven themselves to be up for the battle over many seasons? The sort that Lennie used to sign: hungry and angry.

He will be used to perfect pitch conditions, spectacular facilities, brilliant team-mates in peak physical condition, the highest standards of preparation, fitness and medical oversight. He's never played in L1 before.

I'm underwhelmed.

hard to find a better pitch than the Valley nowadays
    No point in having a nice table setting when crap food is being served up :open_mouth:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Height has never affected Solly. He's small by any defender height test, but he's one of the best AND MOST LOYAL player's we've had over the last 10 years. Sadly this youngster is only on loan so won't be here to earn legend status, however if he puts in a shift, he will earn our respect. Welcome aboard the skylark young Jay.

He won't know what 'the skylark' is will he??
  • Options
    From viewing the video compilation he certainly seems to be a good option coming forward although he needs to work on his final ball into the box. Not enough footage if him in defensive mode to judge that. I suspect Chelsea's youth team aren't under the cosh very often.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

colthe3rd said:

Macronate said:

I think that's fair enough but I wonder if he will be used at left back even when Fox leaves. His pace could be a weapon in this league and may be wasted at the back.
    Why? Plenty of teams use pacey wing backs, Spurs for example. There seems to be an impression that playing at the back is somewhat of a lesser position. I'm sure KR will know exactly who where his best position is and who is supposed to be replacing.

Not been this season but doesn't KR favour 4 at the back? Was just wondering if he intends to deploy Chicksen at left back with DaSilva further forward as part of the 3 if he plays a 4-2-3-1.
    They are wing backs tbf, Spurs don't play with traditional wingers more attacking mids in wide areas. Rose and Walker spend as much time in the opposition half as they do in their own. Pretty much the definition of a wing back.
  • Options

Sounds, promising, I can't see us playing a 5ft 4 18 year old at LB in a back 4 so I imagine he'll have a more attacking role. I don't see him as a replacement for Fox.

5ft 4 eh, I imagine Solly will be walking around feeling 10ft tall now! Seriously, it's hard to imagine any player that small in the modern Premier League.

Maradonna was only an inch taller - I'm sure he would have given it a good go in the PL. Not necessarily the height but more the strength on the ball.
  • Options

Without being bothered to check, i reckon Chelsea must have more players out on loan than we have in our squad.
    As for the young chap we have signed i believe he is a replacement for lookman not fox.
    Welcome to the madhouse and good luck

Chelsea have more players out on loan than in anyones squad! Think it's something like 35 players they have loaned out now
    believe it's actually over 50
  • Options

Lol
    You know there's a button for that?
  • Options
    Good luck to the lad, I think if Fox is off (and I believe he is), then Chickson at LB and this lad playing in front of him. With pace like he has he will scare the living daylights out of League 1 defenders.
  • Options

Lol
    You know there's a button for that?
    Ask Otto why.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Macronate said:

colthe3rd said:

Macronate said:

They are wing backs tbf, Spurs don't play with traditional wingers more attacking mids in wide areas. Rose and Walker spend as much time in the opposition half as they do in their own. Pretty much the definition of a wing back.
    When Charlton have the likes of Dier, Wanyama or Dembele in midfield, then perhaps we can have attacking full backs like they do!

Maradonna was only an inch taller - I'm sure he would have given it a good go in the PL. Not necessarily the height but more the strength on the ball.
    Rooney was stocky at 18 already, whereas this kid looks pretty puny at the moment!