Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection *GAME CALLED OFF*

Comments

• Options
    mogodon said:

WSS said:
    However, it does mean that the final sentence about testing them has to be a lie?
    You can pressure test the pipework and fittings without the need for it to be connected to a boiler.

• Options

Not sure if this has already been mentioned. Tweet from Scunthorpe director

Robinson waited until they left before removing them...

A shame we still don't have that inflatable hot air cover we had back in the PL days. Didn't the supplier of that go broke, so we couldn't get any spare parts?
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Scunthorpe have lost 3 and drew 1 of their last 4 away games so don't buy this 'good time to get it postponed.'

So being without our 2 centre halves Bauer & Tex, our left back Page, Holmes not fully fit, Watt not fully fit and Magennis out, is a good time to play ?
    It may not be ideal but I don't care. I live in Norfolk and I don't get down very often.

I had arranged to take my son. I bought train tickets and we were on our way to the station.

Of course the manager wanted the game called off but it should be on regardless. Undersoil heating not being plumbed in doesn't help but it's entirely possible to have protected the pitch and got the game on in my view, this is not Turf Moor, this the Valley right next to the River Thames in the middle of London ffs.
    See if the tickets are refundable or transferable to another date.
  • Options

Done us a favour tbh. Get a few more players back fit/out of suspension? Fuck it, let us 'play the system' for once.
    At least I won't have the hump at 5 o/c this afternoon as well!!

Sounds like we may have done ourselves a favour if we weren't taking appropriate precautions with the pitch. Shabby situation if we're manipulating events to avoid having to play the mighty Scunthorpe United.
  • Options
    Should be pleased it's off.

With our squad today we were likely to have been mullered - and not in the drunken sense.

Strong squad for the rearranged and we're in with a shout.
  • Options

Absolutely scandalous and highly embarrassing.......how is this possible. No one saw this coming I'm sure.
    I'm both gob smacked and outraged!
    Who ever is responsible should be utterly ashamed!

Seriously?

There's a lot more in this world to be outraged at than us potentially not trying our hardest to get a game on when we have half our first XI missing.

It's really not the end of the world and no one will give a shit if in the rescheduled game we have Bauer, Page, Holmes, Watt and Magennis all fit to start and beat them.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Mixed feelings.

My daughter is home and would have come so disappointing that we miss a game together.

On the other hand Johnson won't have to play.

As far as I know the East Thurrock and Dagenham and Redbridge matches are still on as is Ebbsfleet...
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    se9addick said:

Done us a favour tbh. Get a few more players back fit/out of suspension? Fuck it, let us 'play the system' for once.
    At least I won't have the hump at 5 o/c this afternoon as well!!

Sounds like we may have done ourselves a favour if we weren't taking appropriate precautions with the pitch. Shabby situation if we're manipulating events to avoid having to play the mighty Scunthorpe United.
    What's all this I hear about you @se9addick and Billericay Dickie gonna get it on in Macros car park? At least this postponement will give you more time to get in shape Rocky :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute joke of a Club.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    You don't have to remove them all - just a few where the pitch gets most frozen. 'The wind must have blown them off'. Read about Cloughie doctoring Forest's pitch before a European game by going to the ground in the early hours, still in his pyjamas, and leaving the hose on in the goamouths. Hope KR did something similar - although I'm sure he didn't! Doesn't bother me - I will get better value for my tickets if we can play a strong team!
  • Options

Not sure if this has already been mentioned. Tweet from Scunthorpe director

Robinson waited until they left before removing them...

A shame we still don't have that inflatable hot air cover we had back in the PL days. Didn't the supplier of that go broke, so we couldn't get any spare parts?
    I think it went rotten!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The OS story by George Jones says every possible step had been taken by the club to get the game on.

It would do, they've employed enough PR people recently.
  • Options
    The weather conditions were hardly unforeseeable, given the forecast and the recent very cold weather. I know we have an injury crisis but this is a rather extreme way of ensuring that Roger Johnson doesn't have to tread the boards.

Yet another example of Duchatelet spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar. I suppose his response will be that this wouldn't happen if we had a 3G or 4G pitch like Sutton United, huh.

There was never any suggestion when the pitch was relaid that the installation of a boiler was contingent upon reaching the Premier League. That is illogical anyway, as these postponements always cost clubs money (leaving aside the inconvenience and disappointment suffered by home and away supporters).
  • Options

Absolutely scandalous and highly embarrassing.......how is this possible. No one saw this coming I'm sure.
    I'm both gob smacked and outraged!
    Who ever is responsible should be utterly ashamed!

Seriously?

There's a lot more in this world to be outraged at than us potentially not trying our hardest to get a game on when we have half our first XI missing.

It's really not the end of the world and no one will give a shit if in the rescheduled game we have Bauer, Page, Holmes, Watt and Magennis all fit to start and beat them.
    Yes....... seriously!
    You have to think of fans who have bought transportation tickets etc and those who have already set off.....I've been a victim of having set off for matches over the years, on a couple of occasions, actually arriving at venues only to find the games were off.
    And anyway, a club of our stature should have undersoil heating or at least the means to keep the pitch covered in some fashion, it's disgraceful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JonnyK said:

We are fast becoming the laughing stock of English football.
    Utter f###ing shambles of a club

Straw poll - I've messaged a number of my pals who support other clubs and they still have a high regard for CAFC as there are plenty of other clubs with 'unusual' owners.

You appear to enjoy CAFC bad news stories.
    However, the fans of those other clubs seem not to agree with you, they rather see it as a reason to get together and support each other's battles with their owners (see page 2 of the leaflet)

• Options
    Anyone able to get any weather readings of last Saturday lunchtime compared to now?

Just been out for a paper, sunny, + temperatures and doesn't even feel that cold
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I think there was a suggestion that it was a requirement of the Premier League so was fitted to avoid the need to fit in future! They could have put a chair by them and got Katrien to talk down the pipes - all of that hot air would have warmed the pitch! Scunthorpe are one of the harder teams to beat in this league, so it makes sense to duck this one with the players missing. I can't see the problem - as long as we didn't doctor the pitch - which I'm sure we didn't!
  • Options

We've literally got a game called off because our squad is not good enough to beat Scunthorpe, at home, in the third division. Let that sink in.

On the money that post.
  • Options
    Amateurs.
  • Options
    Two good videos on YouTube now explaining the decision and all the precautions taken. The groundsman explaining why the undersoil pipes are there but no bolier (as not a requiremnent outside the premier league). The referee explaining how the pitch is solid in parts and unplayable. The conspiracy lovers will still find a reason to doubt.
  • Options
    So in the YouTube video groundsman Nathan Chapman reveals that the pipes were put in as 'a stipulation' for Premier League football.
    But then he says: "It's very very expensive to run and we haven't got the boilers."

So too expensive.