Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mayweather vs McGregor

Comments

• I gather a certain broadcaster is asking their staff to grass up anyone who illegally streams this fight. I figured it'd probably make more sense to not charge 20 quid for such a ridiculous affair, and maybe overcharging is the reason people stream.
  • Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

I hate the term MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, its so far removed from Martial Arts its ridiculous.
    And wether you like it or not (7k most expensive seats unsold, nice straw clutch) it has captured the General Publics attention, they even had a piece on it on BBC Brekkie this morning, and its generated massive PPV income. Its one of the biggest/richest fight ever, the boxing world is a bit worried, and I love boxing.

How is it so far removed?

And it wasn't a straw clutch btw.
    Because Martial Arts means the 'art of war' and as soon as you put rules in place it does not become a Martial Art.
    A Martial Art is not a sport.
    Also and perhaps more pertinent 'Martial Art' is not about fighting, dogs fight. It is a way of life, a dedicated lifestyle choice and training the mind is perhaps more important for a traditional Martial Artist, than just smashing the life out of something. I could go on, but will just say that its a Combat Sport, thats all.

Also you have two usernames.
    Fuck me you don't half write some shite on here.

So war doesn't mean fighting now? Also you're writing as if MMA is trying to define itself as a martial art in it's own right, which it isn't. It is just as simple as a mixture of all different martial arts (plus other non martial arts). Sure the name isn't exactly spot on but that's just the way the sport has evolved.

And I have no idea what you mean by two usernames.
  • colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

I hate the term MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, its so far removed from Martial Arts its ridiculous.
    And wether you like it or not (7k most expensive seats unsold, nice straw clutch) it has captured the General Publics attention, they even had a piece on it on BBC Brekkie this morning, and its generated massive PPV income. Its one of the biggest/richest fight ever, the boxing world is a bit worried, and I love boxing.

Because Martial Arts means the 'art of war' and as soon as you put rules in place it does not become a Martial Art.
    Also and perhaps more pertinent 'Martial Art' is not about fighting, dogs fight. It is a way of life, a dedicated lifestyle choice and training the mind is perhaps more important for a traditional Martial Artist, than just smashing the life out of something. I could go on, but will just say that its a Combat Sport, thats all.

So war doesn't mean fighting now? Also you're writing as if MMA is trying to define itself as a martial art in it's own right, which it isn't. It is just as simple as a mixture of all different martial arts (plus other non martial arts). Sure the name isn't exactly spot on but that's just the way the sport has evolved.

your username, along with those of a few other posters, appears twice for some reason.

colthe3rd colthe3rd

• @colthe3rd - it might be because your avatar image is broken. Might want to try saving it as a jpg and then reupload.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

@colthe3rd - it might be because your avatar image is broken. Might want to try saving it as a jpg and then reupload.

I never bothered uploading one after they fucked up last time.
  • Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Ok I wasn't gonna bother but my fighting arts CV just for you.

37 years as a traditional Martial Artist and still training.
    I've been teaching for 26 years, some of my students are from the elite armed forces and also serving police officers. We use the traditional Wado Ryu, system, incidentally this is a mixed martial art. And we work with knives and various weapons, as well.
    Ive been running my own club since 1997.
    Taught a regiment of the British Army, pre deployment. Great fun, because they are going to a potential war zone, as an instructor, I dont have to teach 'reasonable force'.
    Worked with many MA's from around the world, at many Masters Seminars, I have been lucky enough to train with some of the original Japanese instructors and also MA's from many countries around the world, if you want to know the Czech Police are the hardest fuckers I've worked with.
    On the Combat Arts side (not Martial Arts) I fought up to and including European level until I retired at 30, I've taught and graded and worked with 6 World Champions and my association is producing some fine fighters, again who have gone on to become junior and senior World Champions.
    My club and association has produced countless top quality traditional Martial Artist Black Belts over the years.
    Oh yes I boxed a bit when I was a kid and did OK at Judo.

The above does not make me a hard bastard or such shite, there are many good people with excellent MA pedigrees around, most are good, well balanced people just passing on the knowledge.
    And the last thing I want to do is have a 'fight' with anyone, I'll do my best to avoid a row, but I know what Im talking about, Ive dedicated my life to it since I was 16.

MMA is not a Martial Art, because it has rules, real fighting does not have rules, combat sports do. UFC (a better name) is a great combat sport as is boxing, but to call it a Martial Art is incorrect.

Yep thats right mate, I write some shite.

MMA isn't a martial art that's correct, it's a mixture of martial arts surely? Which is why it stands for Mixed Martial Arts?

I may be completely wrong but that was my understanding.

• Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

I've been teaching for 26 years, some of my students are from the elite armed forces and also serving police officers. We use the traditional Wado Ryu, system, incidentally this is a mixed martial art. And we work with knives and various weapons, as well.
    Taught a regiment of the British Army, pre deployment. Great fun, because they are going to a potential war zone, as an instructor, I dont have to teach 'reasonable force'.
    Worked with many MA's from around the world, at many Masters Seminars, I have been lucky enough to train with some of the original Japanese instructors and also MA's from many countries around the world, if you want to know the Czech Police are the hardest fuckers I've worked with.
    On the Combat Arts side (not Martial Arts) I fought up to and including European level until I retired at 30, I've taught and graded and worked with 6 World Champions and my association is producing some fine fighters, again who have gone on to become junior and senior World Champions.
    My club and association has produced countless top quality traditional Martial Artist Black Belts over the years.

The above does not make me a hard bastard or such shite, there are many good people with excellent MA pedigrees around, most are good, well balanced people just passing on the knowledge.
    And the last thing I want to do is have a 'fight' with anyone, I'll do my best to avoid a row, but I know what Im talking about, Ive dedicated my life to it since I was 16.

MMA is not a Martial Art, because it has rules, real fighting does not have rules, combat sports do. UFC (a better name) is a great combat sport as is boxing, but to call it a Martial Art is incorrect.

MMA isn't a martial art that's correct, it's a mixture of martial arts surely? Which is why it stands for Mixed Martial Arts?

Woah woah be careful now he might summon his chi and snap your legs with his little finger for questioning him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Well UFC isn't a sport to start with it's a promotion and when it did start there were no rules. Does Wado Ryu have no rules?

Probably my favourite martial arts meme.

• Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Its the term 'Martial Art' as used by the media to describe combat sports, a combat sport by definition cannot be a Martial Art, because as soon as you put rules in a fight it becomes a sport.
  • colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Well done for writing all that out no one cares. Also no one is calling MMA a martial art but you.
    Cool response. One that I kinda expected really from you. So much for a bit of debate.
    Also the name MMA has Martial Art in it, so not just me calling it that, then???
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Its the term 'Martial Art' as used by the media to describe combat sports, a combat sport by definition cannot be a Martial Art, because as soon as you put rules in a fight it becomes a sport.
    So Wado Ryu has no rules? Could you for example, fight a chimp?
  • Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Well done for writing all that out no one cares. Also no one is calling MMA a martial art but you.
    Cool response. One that I kinda expected really from you. So much for a bit of debate.
    Also the name MMA has Martial Art in it, so not just me calling it that, then???
    Less time playing about in pyjamas, more time needed with a dictionary I think.
  • edited August 2017
    colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Ha. There's no f******* way you'd say that to his face!
  • Good to see coltheturd back to his normal posting style.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Marines and have over 600 confirmed kills...
  • colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Why? Have you ever met me? Do you know what sort of training I've had?

Good to see coltheturd back to his normal posting style.

Good one Stupid.
  • edited August 2017

Why? Have you ever met me? Do you know what sort of training I've had?

Good to see coltheturd back to his normal posting style.

Good one Stupid.

It doesn't matter what training you've had, you came across as aggressive all the time with your posts, dont get me wrong we all have our moments, but as soon as someone challenges you or tries to debate a point, then you come back in a churlish manner....as above...so I doubt that you have much if any training, resorting to calling people names and taking the piss is normally the area where people with inferiority complexes or lack of knowledge live.
  • edited August 2017
    Come on guys can't we all just get along...

No...

Fantastic I know which thread to go to... Robin, let's go...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78908/c-l-cage-fighting-tournament#latest

• edited August 2017
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

McBobbin said:

This is truly the boxing equivalent of the FL cup draw being in China.

The difference is that it's captured everyone's attention, so many non fight fans are talking about it, boxing is at the fore again, when was the last time the general public really got talking about a boxing match months before it happened?
    Also I understand that its upped UFC's profile and so more kids are walking into MMA (I hate that term) gyms.
    Why do you hate the term MMA gyms?

Really captured the imagination this one, 7k empty seats!

Greenie said:

McBobbin said:

This is truly the boxing equivalent of the FL cup draw being in China.

The difference is that it's captured everyone's attention, so many non fight fans are talking about it, boxing is at the fore again, when was the last time the general public really got talking about a boxing match months before it happened?
    Also I understand that its upped UFC's profile and so more kids are walking into MMA (I hate that term) gyms.
    Diane Abbot and Nigel Farage holding hands and skipping naked down Brighton sea front chanting "We are the Mods!"would capture everyone's attention...doesn't mean it would be a good thing for humanity.

Canelo v GGG probably one of the most epic pairings of recent years coming up and been entirely eclipsed by this circus of making 2 very talented, yet utterly classless, money-obsessed individuals even richer but doing very little to enhance the already tarnished integrity of one of the greatest sports in the world.
    The general public would not have a scooby who Triple G is/was. This fight is the most anticipated since probably Tyson/Bruno 1. Thats the reality wether we like it or not. Now all us fight fans know its a circus, and fear it will be a farce, I hope it isn't, I hope McGregor smashes the wife beater, he wont, but as an Englishman I do love an under dog.....AND the fight world has dug this hole and it remains to be seen how it will effect boxing if the Paddy wins. And if he loses but puts up a good fight, just watch Paulie Malignnagi line up a fight against McGregor.
    In this country any Hatton fight was bigger than this one.

Antony Joshua v Klitschko yet again was a bigger fight in country.

It'll be interesting to see if this fight breaks 2 million ppv. It won't touch Mayweather v Pacquiao that's for sure.
    BUT its not about our little country is it? The US are going mental for this one, I'll give you Mayweather v Pacquiao though, but I dont think PPV will be far off, also what was the overall purse for Mayweather v Pacquiao?
    I was just disputing the 'most anticipated since Tyson/Bruno'. Mayweather v Pacquiao alone beats that. Mayweather v De la Hoya too.

According to the Forbes, Mayweather earned $180 million of $300m, with Manny taking home $120 million. (Not including PPV points which I'm sure would've had another 8 figure sum for each).

I think the media and broadcasters have overhyped the match because they've spent so much money buying the rights. It won't reach Mayweather v Pacquiao numbers and won't make as much money because of that.
  • edited August 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Marines and have over 600 confirmed kills...

Instantly sprang to mind. Great pasta.
  • Back to loving this thread again

Greenie you da man ( in my best Connor voice)

• Is this the Mayweather vs McGregor thread or Greenie vs Colt? Late addition to the undercard?
  • Is this the Mayweather vs McGregor thread or Greenie vs Colt? Late addition to the undercard?

I'm gonna have a wild punt on Greenie