Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mayweather vs McGregor

Comments

• Options

Who do I want to win?

Mayweather. McGregor is a one of the most classless people in sport and his fans are amongst the most acquiescent I've seen. Not giving Aldo a rematch is ridiculous and his influence in MMA is dangerous. He has become bigger than the UFC due to his mouth and not his ability. He has never defended a title in his career and as the famous saying goes "you're not a true champion until you've defended" Hasim Rahman and Buster Douglas are good examples. The reason he doesn't defend is because it's bad for business, he won't beat Aldo in 13 seconds again. This isn't the mindset of a sportsman/fighter, I'm not surprised that he's upset Malignaggi, a pro who was trying to help him. Mayweather is hardly a saint, I don't know about his wife beating allegations but he conducts himself in a far more professional manner and is humble in victory. He was fought people at the ideal time but still at a time when they were a threat in terms of boxing he is one of the best yet which fighter is the most arrogant going into this?

I agree that he should have defended his title(s), not sure I agree that not giving Aldo a rematch was ridiculous though. The UFC have brought it on themselves though, they've always been terrible at promoting fighters. Mcgregor has basically done this on his own but then I guess it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I completely disagree with the devaluing of belts in chasing the money fights but it was sort of inevitable it would go down this route.

As for this fight, I can completely understand why people dislike him. I think this persona he has created is quite entertaining but then there's not a huge difference between what he's doing and what Mayweather did for over a decade so imo if you like one and not the other then it must go beyond how they appear on camera. Mcgregor does appear to spend time with fans and enjoys a laugh with them. From what I've seen as well he has generally been gracious in victory and defeat.
  • Options
    Carter said:

cafcfan said:

Posting without reading. Don't know anything about the respective merits of either of the combatants. But saw the news hype this morning. That Irish bloke is the definition of a complete and utter tosser isn't he. Didn't anyone teach him to chew with his mouth closed? And those aren't his own teeth are they?

It's like the 1970 Brazil team playing Welling

McGregor has no chance whatsoever it is a circus event as opposed to a boxing match

Floyd Mayweather is the best defensive boxer of all time, some of the best boxers of a generation have tried to beat him by roughing him up, by trying to windmill him with volume of punches, by trying to box him, by trying to antagonise him. The only person I think who has ever given him a fight was Oscar De La Hoya and that fight could have been split either way and De La Hoya was a legend of the sport not a 0 fight novice

Even Vasyl Lomachencko, who is a wonderful boxer and possibly one of the best amateurs ever, lost his first pro fight.

Backing Mayweather is buying money

This will not be an exciting fight and I'm a bit pissed off it is dwarfing a genuine pound for pound fight in Golovkin v Alvarez
    Thanks v much for the explanation. I'm now thinking Jackie Pallo vs Muhammad Ali. I'll not be watching!
  • Options
    Carter said:

bobmunro said:

please tell me no one on here is forking out a score to watch this live at half four in the morning?

Errr.... me!
    (and many others I bet)

Besides, there is a proper boxing match on the undercard worth paying for - Jack/Cleverley.

Me too, more for the reason I don't have many opportunities to do an all nighter these days but the Cleverly v Jack fight is one I'm looking forward to. Besides anything else it's something I'd like to say I watched even if I know damn well what's going to happen
    Yep, another guilty party here.
  • Options

Not giving Aldo a rematch is ridiculous and his influence in MMA is dangerous.

Oh that sounds terrible!

Mayweather is hardly a saint, I don't know about his wife beating allegations but he conducts himself in a far more professionally manner

Oh... well... here you go!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11577509/Floyd-Mayweather-Shameless-boxer-who-punches-women-as-hard-as-rivals.html

• Options
    I'll be watching.

I want Conor to win, but my head knows damn well that this should be Mayweather's fight. He's one of the best defensive boxers there has ever been, but I have never taken to him and there's a couple of fights where he's lucky to still have that 0 in the 49-0.

Conor will get into that ring nearly a stone heavier than Floyd. He's got a bit of height & a bit of reach and he's got a punch.
  • Options
    Obviously mayweather going to win, but I will be paying and cheering on the man from Crumlin!
  • Options
    Whether you like McGregor or not, you have to admire what he has done in the 4 years. To be able to be in the position of walking into the ring tonight with a guaranteed $100m is some achievement.
  • Options

Whether you like McGregor or not, you have to admire what he has done in the 4 years. To be able to be in the position of walking into the ring tonight with a guaranteed $100m is some achievement.

I think it's a guaranteed 30m but in all likelihood will be over 100m.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Who do I want to win?

Mayweather. McGregor is a one of the most classless people in sport and his fans are amongst the most acquiescent I've seen. Not giving Aldo a rematch is ridiculous and his influence in MMA is dangerous. He has become bigger than the UFC due to his mouth and not his ability. He has never defended a title in his career and as the famous saying goes "you're not a true champion until you've defended" Hasim Rahman and Buster Douglas are good examples. The reason he doesn't defend is because it's bad for business, he won't beat Aldo in 13 seconds again. This isn't the mindset of a sportsman/fighter, I'm not surprised that he's upset Malignaggi, a pro who was trying to help him. Mayweather is hardly a saint, I don't know about his wife beating allegations but he conducts himself in a far more professional manner and is humble in victory. He was fought people at the ideal time but still at a time when they were a threat in terms of boxing he is one of the best yet which fighter is the most arrogant going into this?

Maliganaggi was brought in to be beaten up for something he said about conor a few years ago... otherwise you spar with someone thats in shape
    Bless!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    colthe3rd said:

Who do I want to win?

I agree that he should have defended his title(s), not sure I agree that not giving Aldo a rematch was ridiculous though. The UFC have brought it on themselves though, they've always been terrible at promoting fighters. Mcgregor has basically done this on his own but then I guess it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I completely disagree with the devaluing of belts in chasing the money fights but it was sort of inevitable it would go down this route.

As for this fight, I can completely understand why people dislike him. I think this persona he has created is quite entertaining but then there's not a huge difference between what he's doing and what Mayweather did for over a decade so imo if you like one and not the other then it must go beyond how they appear on camera. Mcgregor does appear to spend time with fans and enjoys a laugh with them. From what I've seen as well he has generally been gracious in victory and defeat.
    Disagree. More like what Adrian Broner used to do. Gracious in victory, when?!
  • Options

Who do I want to win?

Dude it's not an allegation when someone of that status and monetary value is convicted of domestic violence in Las Vegas the blokes a scumbag.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Like when he told Aldo, in the ring after embarrassing him: "Sorry brother.... we'll do it again."

If you think he's not a student of combat and martial arts, and by extension, respectful of his craft and his opponents, then you haven't been paying close enough attention and have focused on the sound bites alone.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Like when he told Aldo, in the ring after embarrassing him: "Sorry brother.... we'll do it again."

If you think he's not a student of combat and martial arts, and by extension, respectful of his craft and his opponents, then you haven't been paying close enough attention and have focused on the sound bites alone.
    :trollface:

• Options
    What are the chances of there being a stream of this?

I am predicting McGregor to lose easily but I have never seen him fight and I know little about boxing other than I enjoy watching it!
  • Options
    The only person I think who has ever given him a fight was Oscar De La Hoya.

This is wrong, he clearly lost the first fight with Castillo who was robbed. May weather did beat him handily in a rematch though. Maidana also did pretty well in their first fight but fell short. Any one is beatable But i would be utterly amazed if mcgregor won a round let alone the fight.

Mayweather body shot stoppage in the 6th round is my prediction.

• Options
    These fights never start at 4, right? Looking at more like 5am my guess.
  • Options
    any idea when the undercard fights start? Want to watch the Clev/Jack bout.
    Won't make it all the way so need to get some sleep now!!!
  • Options
    Think main will start at about 05:30
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

any idea when the undercard fights start? Want to watch the Clev/Jack bout.
    Won't make it all the way so need to get some sleep now!!!

Think that's due to start at 03:00 and Mayweather is 05:00.
  • Options
    Mayweather in rounds 1-6, Cotto 1-6 and Davis 1-2
    100/1
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Croydon said:

Can't wait for the Mcgregor fans to fuck off back to watching UFC after this.

Casual fans are bad at the best of times, but I've never known a more annoying set of mud cunts on social media.

Couldn't be more spot on. And don't forget the some of these McGregor 'fans' had never heard of the guy till the fight got announced!
  • Options
    McGregor obviously sees this as a way to make lots of money and Mayweather will toy with him for a few rounds to keep the spectacle going. This will probably be the most one sided fight in boxing history but it may not seem like it as both fighters will want to milk it a bit.

Anyone who thinks McGregor has a chance in this are deluded in my opinion.

This fight is all about the money.
  • Options
    Does anyone else think there might be a 'shock' tonight - so they can do it all again maybe two more times and earn a billion dollars?
  • Options
    anyone got a stream for this?
  • Options
    CafcCrazy said:

cricfree.sx
  • Options
    Tabiti v Cunningham warming up after a slow start. You can certainly tell Tabiti is a Mayweather fighter.
  • Options
    CafcCrazy said:

Yeah Sky Sports.