Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Chizz said:

Scoham said:

cafc-west said:

In one post from mid-2018 someone did some digging and posted the name of a company that had been set-up by the Australian Football consortium in the UK. I can't remember who found the name and did the post, or the name of the company. If anyone can remember - can you post the name. Might be worth doing a bit more digging on Companies House to see if anything has changed.

Nothing's changed on there.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11336951
    Except that this has been set up since...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11522664
    Different registered office and key personnel a Ms Wallace Director & Secretary, accountant. Doesn't mean they're not connected though.
  • This thread is now available in a de luxe leather bound edition so that you can relive such timeless classics as "The takeover is imminent", "An Australian consortium are going through the 'fit and proper person' test", "Jim White has been talking to someone in the know" and more in the comfort of your home library! Only £70m from the CL online bookstore!

Henry will need a copy for the museum.
  • Bloody hell, Mike Ashley........

and all that premiership football.
    And debt. No thanks.
    How many clubs don't have any debt? It's impossible for us to get where we want to be and make a profit.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle:

Bought Newcastle for £134m and inherited £77m of debt. By 2017 that debt had doubled to £152m.

Sports Direct has never paid anything towards the naming rights or any of the advertising that swarms the stadium.

Sports Direct controls club's retail operations and the club has made a net loss of £5.5m from this arrangement. Commercial income has halved, matchday income is down by a third.

In the 11 years before Ashley, Newcastle had qualified for Europe nine times and the Champion's League group stages twice. Since Ashley has been owner, the club has been relegated twice and played in the Europa League once.

Newcastle's net spend since the summer of 2017 is £1m. Brighton's is £110m and Huddersfield's is £78m.

Ashley has purchased land behind the Gallowgate for a reduced £6m and planning permission for £70m proeprty development that blocks any expansion of St James' Park.

The club's accounts are overdue and it is also under investigation by HMRC for tax fraud.
    Doesn't make great reading. How would people vote in a RD v Ashley straw poll?
  • RedChaser said:

Chizz said:

Scoham said:

cafc-west said:

In one post from mid-2018 someone did some digging and posted the name of a company that had been set-up by the Australian Football consortium in the UK. I can't remember who found the name and did the post, or the name of the company. If anyone can remember - can you post the name. Might be worth doing a bit more digging on Companies House to see if anything has changed.

Different registered office and key personnel a Ms Wallace Director & Secretary, accountant. Doesn't mean they're not connected though.
    It would seem to be something of a coincidence if another recently registered company named after the same Australian spiny anteater was unconnected to the one set up by Gerard Murphy 5 months previously.

However, the only officer of the more recently registered one is a Katherine Wallace described as an accountant - but I can't find any other links to an accountant of that name?
  • I will only look at the thread when takeover is a done deal....huh
  • micks1950 said:

RedChaser said:

Chizz said:

Scoham said:

cafc-west said:

It would seem to be something of a coincidence if another recently registered company named after the same Australian spiny anteater was unconnected to the one set up by Gerard Murphy 5 months previously.

However, the only officer of the more recently registered one is a Katherine Wallace described as an accountant - but I can't find any other links to an accountant of that name?
    Total coincidence in my view.
    Anyone can call themself an accountant anyway, so she's not necessarily qualified.
  • It maybe happening!
  • Ashley has been wanting to sell Newcastle for years now and he doesn't seem any closer to doing that. If RD is holding out for him he'll be waiting a long time

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-latest-how-15505157

Article dated 4 Dec 2018

Mike Ashley revealed on Monday that talks to sell Newcastle United are at an 'advanced stage'.

The Magpies owner says he is in talks with at least one party over the sale of the club and he hopes to conclude a deal before the January transfer window.

It is our understanding that Ashley is willing to accept a bid of £300million to sell Newcastle and has held lengthy discussions - through his lawyers - with two potential buyers.

One name that has been doing the rounds is Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United owner Arthur Blank but his camp have moved quickly to deny such reports.

What is certain, though, is that the takeover saga has once again ramped up a notch and it has attracted attention on a national scale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ashley has been wanting to sell Newcastle for years now and he doesn't seem any closer to doing that. If RD is holding out for him he'll be waiting a long time

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-latest-how-15505157

Article dated 4 Dec 2018

Mike Ashley revealed on Monday that talks to sell Newcastle United are at an 'advanced stage'.

The Magpies owner says he is in talks with at least one party over the sale of the club and he hopes to conclude a deal before the January transfer window.

It is our understanding that Ashley is willing to accept a bid of £300million to sell Newcastle and has held lengthy discussions - through his lawyers - with two potential buyers.

One name that has been doing the rounds is Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United owner Arthur Blank but his camp have moved quickly to deny such reports.

What is certain, though, is that the takeover saga has once again ramped up a notch and it has attracted attention on a national scale.
    Arthur Blank is an Atlanta man and not the youngest. Great owner for the Falcons though but highly doubt he'd want any involvement in Newcastle.
  • Arthur Blank but his camp have moved quickly to deny such reports.

That is already a given but the point is Ashley himself has stated Newcastle are currently in discussions regarding a takeover. Which partly dispels @BigRedEvil comment.
  • Roland's ego is and has been creating blockages.

If, let's say, a few years ago...we just told him how great he was and gently asked if he wouldn't mind selling the club ....but thanks for all the "effort"

The club would have been sold a while ago and we probably already would have forgotten about him and his disastrous ownership of Charlton.

That's not me hinting what we should have or shouldn't have done.

Its mostly just a guess...based on the freaks behavioural pattern.

"Charlton are just 1.5% of my business interests"

Remember that quote.

The deflector. The defensive. The liar.
  • This thread is now available in a de luxe leather bound edition so that you can relive such timeless classics as "The takeover is imminent", "An Australian consortium are going through the 'fit and proper person' test", "Jim White has been talking to someone in the know" and more in the comfort of your home library! Only £70m from the CL online bookstore!

Post of the day.
  • Delivery to your door in two weeks
  • Hmmm.

So, the Aussies do have the dollars, then.

Also, the much reported but still very much hypothetical Brit consortium appear to have links to a certain RM. This could be a big reason why team Oz have not been able/allowed to complete the purchase of our club.

If I had to guess, the reason nothing has been completed is either:

1. RM; he has been promised a role by the Brits and so has been able to stick one or multiple spanners into the spokes of any Aussie deal.
    2. RD; he simply doesn't want to sell the club, well at least not to any group that might make a success of our club. Remember, he despises
    us fans and the rumours about him being personally affronted by his birthday meal being gatecrashed in Belgium may be enough for him
    to make sure that whoever he passes the baton onto doesn't have the wherewithal to actually bring us any kind of success on the pitch -
    after all, this would only make him look worse than he already does. As a result, he has been carefully trying to balance finding buyers
    who have enough money for him to at least recoup some of his losses, but not enough to bring the club success. Maybe he doesn't want
    to sell to either of the front running bids because he fears that they might run the club properly! So, instead, we have the constantly
    depressing merry-go-round of rumoured, then failed sales which he know makes us fans suffer. He must be loving it. Why not continue
    to dish out the pain to us fans as long as he can?

Whatever the reasons, I suspect neither RM nor RD want us to know what they are, because then we'd think even less of them than we do now. For obvious reasons, neither party can tell us the truth either, lest they incur the wrath of RD as a result.

At this moment, I'm minded to think that we won't have new owners until RD shuffles off this mortal coil. Actually, even then he'll curse us from beyond the grave by transferring us to one of his family owners, probably one who will blame us for upsetting RD and who will then take steps to ensure that we continue to suffer by appointing a hamster as manager and a cockapoo as CEO (not that it would do much worse than KM, eh?).

But hey-ho, we're Charlton fans....suffering is our default state so it's not like we're not used to it!
  • Page 1470

900 posts away from the big 1500
  • Do we know anything about this fifth party mentioned on the OS?

Fifth party

The group are close to agreeing price and conditions. He said their due diligence is not complete but runs in parallel.
  • Off_it said:

jams said:

I'm sure I remember someone insinuating that there were allegedly some issues around the legality of certain things when RD purchased the club, relating to the spivs. Does anyone recall this and as far as we know has that been resolved? I just can't think what would mean multiple groups of purchasers need to be so silent on everything

Yep, I've been thinking this for about a year or so now.

I've worked on enough deals professionally to know that if you've got two interested parties who have both got the money and both agreed a price (which is what we''be been told) then the deal will generally get done, UNLESS there's a steaming pile of something potentially toxic sitting somewhere.

If there is potentially such a smell then the first question that gets asked is "what's the statute of limitations on this?", Ie. if things all go tits up then what's the risk to us?

If that's the case then you might still go ahead with the deal if the vendor (Roland) gives you some sort of warranty and indemnity against historic liabilities, or you might just go ahead anyway and take the risk. Or you might hang on for a bit until it's too late for the potentially smelly stuff to cause any real issue.

I'm not suggesting that Roland has done anything materially wrong on his watch from a legal perspective (ruining our club doesn't count, unfortunately), but it seems like the previous owners may have been up to the necks in all sorts, and we know Roland didn't do any due diligence of his own and effectively bought the club blind.

To me this seems the only plausible reason why either of the two different potential buyers with the money lined up haven't done the deal, yet.

But I have no insider knowledge on any of this, just an educated guess.

But if I'm right then it suits nobody to go shouting the reasons why from the rooftops.
    Thanks offit
  • edited January 2019

Page 1470

900 posts away from the big 1500

Or one day.

• Sponsored links:

Available on Kindle for a pound.
  • Bloody hell, Mike Ashley........

and all that premiership football.
    And debt. No thanks.
    How many clubs don't have any debt? It's impossible for us to get where we want to be and make a profit.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle:

Bought Newcastle for £134m and inherited £77m of debt. By 2017 that debt had doubled to £152m.

Sports Direct has never paid anything towards the naming rights or any of the advertising that swarms the stadium.

Sports Direct controls club's retail operations and the club has made a net loss of £5.5m from this arrangement. Commercial income has halved, matchday income is down by a third.

In the 11 years before Ashley, Newcastle had qualified for Europe nine times and the Champion's League group stages twice. Since Ashley has been owner, the club has been relegated twice and played in the Europa League once.

Newcastle's net spend since the summer of 2017 is £1m. Brighton's is £110m and Huddersfield's is £78m.

Ashley has purchased land behind the Gallowgate for a reduced £6m and planning permission for £70m proeprty development that blocks any expansion of St James' Park.

The club's accounts are overdue and it is also under investigation by HMRC for tax fraud.
    So probably best to stick with RD ? :smile:
  • Would the sale of Newcastle really hold up Ashley from buying us? Surely the money for Charlton is peanuts in the realms he is dealing in, it not like he is never going to be able to sell one of the biggest football clubs in the UK
  • Would the sale of Newcastle really hold up Ashley from buying us? Surely the money for Charlton is peanuts in the realms he is dealing in, it not like he is never going to be able to sell one of the biggest football clubs in the UK

It's not the money but that he can't own two clubs in the same country at the same time.
  • I don’t believe for one minute Ashley is intending to buy us.

So out of interest @ShootersHillGuru @Airman Brown @Bubble and anyone else convinced of the above, what’s your best guess on who ‘the Brits’ may be and do you suspect the non progression of that group is down to the same reasons as the Aussies or a different reason?

yes because you cannot be involved in two clubs at the same time

Ahh my apologies did not know that!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!