Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I don’t believe for one minute Ashley is intending to buy us.

So out of interest @ShootersHillGuru @Airman Brown @Bubble and anyone else convinced of the above, what’s your best guess on who ‘the Brits’ may be and do you suspect the non progression of that group is down to the same reasons as the Aussies or a different reason?
    Im convinced its our CharltonLifer waiting to hit the lottery jackpot and that has been the hold up all along,price agreed just waiting for the numbers then its done deal

So out of interest @ShootersHillGuru @Airman Brown @Bubble and anyone else convinced of the above, what’s your best guess on who ‘the Brits’ may be and do you suspect the non progression of that group is down to the same reasons as the Aussies or a different reason?
    Well I think it’s not going to be jaw dropping. I think Murray is fundamental to it. Perhaps not in terms of cash but certainly in drawing together the members and even perhaps having a significant role on the board. His CV looks good on inspection by anyone other than a Charlton supporter. I think to interested parties he’s got a lot of credibility. As to the make up then I havn’t a clue and I doubt there will be many names any of us would jump up and down about.

FWIW. I am coming round to the idea that the convoluted structure of ownership prior to RD might be an issue to completion and that theory might explain why neither of the Aussies or Brits have been able to make speedy progress. Seems a coincidence that two groups have been around for similar amounts of time without getting it done. LdT hinted that when the truth eventually comes out it will exonerate Roland over the sales process.

Sue Perkins
  • Is it happening?

• Bloody hell, Mike Ashley........

and all that premiership football.
    And debt. No thanks.
    How many clubs don't have any debt? It's impossible for us to get where we want to be and make a profit.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle:

Bought Newcastle for £134m and inherited £77m of debt. By 2017 that debt had doubled to £152m.

Sports Direct has never paid anything towards the naming rights or any of the advertising that swarms the stadium.

Sports Direct controls club's retail operations and the club has made a net loss of £5.5m from this arrangement. Commercial income has halved, matchday income is down by a third.

In the 11 years before Ashley, Newcastle had qualified for Europe nine times and the Champion's League group stages twice. Since Ashley has been owner, the club has been relegated twice and played in the Europa League once.

Newcastle's net spend since the summer of 2017 is £1m. Brighton's is £110m and Huddersfield's is £78m.

Ashley has purchased land behind the Gallowgate for a reduced £6m and planning permission for £70m proeprty development that blocks any expansion of St James' Park.

The club's accounts are overdue and it is also under investigation by HMRC for tax fraud.
    So probably best to stick with RD ? :smile:
    I now you are joking but

RD has hugely increased the club's debt like ashley

The retail is outsources at the Valley (although this started before RD he didn't want the headcount so extended it)

The last full season before RD we finished 9th in the Championship, we are now in our third season in league 1 and if we don't go up will be in our longest spell in the third tier in 90 years.

Not sure what our net spend is but we sold Lookman and Konsa.
    Basically, we don't want Ashley or Roland.
    I think that sums it up nicely

Well I think it’s not going to be jaw dropping. I think Murray is fundamental to it. Perhaps not in terms of cash but certainly in drawing together the members and even perhaps having a significant role on the board. His CV looks good on inspection by anyone other than a Charlton supporter. I think to interested parties he’s got a lot of credibility. As to the make up then I havn’t a clue and I doubt there will be many names any of us would jump up and down about.

FWIW. I am coming round to the idea that the convoluted structure of ownership prior to RD might be an issue to completion and that theory might explain why neither of the Aussies or Brits have been able to make speedy progress. Seems a coincidence that two groups have been around for similar amounts of time without getting it done. LdT hinted that when the truth eventually comes out it will exonerate Roland over the sales process.

I know Jiminez, Slater and Cash were chancers but what the hell have they done to cause this much hold up and aggro?

If it's down to dodgy dealings by previous owners, Roland isn't totally off the hook on this. His slipshod 20 minute due diligence when he bought the club is why he has these problems now (whatever they are). He didn't even know about the previous director's loans for gawd's sake. Even I know about those and I'm just some random fan, not somebody forking out millions to buy a football club who should be paying attention to stuff like that.
  • Missed It said:

I don’t believe for one minute Ashley is intending to buy us.

I know Jiminez, Slater and Cash were chancers but what the hell have they done to cause this much hold up and aggro?

If it's down to dodgy dealings by previous owners, Roland isn't totally off the hook on this. His slipshod 20 minute due diligence when he bought the club is why he has these problems now (whatever they are). He didn't even know about the previous director's loans for gawd's sake. Even I know about those and I'm just some random fan, not somebody forking out millions to buy a football club who should be paying attention to stuff like that.
    @Airman Brown suggested earlier that he doubted anything that the previous regime could have done would have much impact now. Maybe that’s the case but we do know it’s ownership was clouded in secrecy and tortuous to audit.

• Sponsored links:

Missed It said:

I don’t believe for one minute Ashley is intending to buy us.

There were historic issues holding up the sale, according to GM back whenever it was we had our chat.
    But that had been dealt with.

GM said it had nothing to do with RD (except presumably it would have been something RD would have had to deal with if he did DD - or it might even have put him off buying the club).
  • Dazzler21 said:

Is it happening?

• Just can't imagine Mike Ashley suffering the whims of RD gladly. He'd have made things public by now.

This
  • Fair point @Bubble i can’t disagree with any of that.

Becoming convinced by others that my hunch was almost certainly wrong
  • Ashley has been wanting to sell Newcastle for years now and he doesn't seem any closer to doing that. If RD is holding out for him he'll be waiting a long time

Thinking the same thing. Roly is setting there, losing maybe £1m a month, turning away potential buyer just in case Ashley can sell Newcastle and buy us.

Makes sense ( but it is Roland)
  • Roland and making sense should never be used in the same sentence
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if the last missive about the Club being sold can be in anyway related to this?

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/12/mike-ashley-to-sell-newcastle-united-can-90-of-newcastle-fans-really-be-wrong-as-press-back-up-story/

Ashley is probably not the 'British' bid, but with a lot of what is known about the purchase and delays, it wouldn't surprise me.

Gets back to London, fans aren't so expectant of success, price is a lot, lot, less than he'd get for NUFC and there is still plenty of room for him to make his mark in a positive way for a far smaller outlay.

I'd imagine one of his targets would be to get into the same League as Newcastle and thump them.
  • edited January 2019

Bloody hell, Mike Ashley........

and all that premiership football.
    And debt. No thanks.
    How many clubs don't have any debt? It's impossible for us to get where we want to be and make a profit.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle:

Bought Newcastle for £134m and inherited £77m of debt. By 2017 that debt had doubled to £152m.

Sports Direct has never paid anything towards the naming rights or any of the advertising that swarms the stadium.

Sports Direct controls club's retail operations and the club has made a net loss of £5.5m from this arrangement. Commercial income has halved, matchday income is down by a third.

In the 11 years before Ashley, Newcastle had qualified for Europe nine times and the Champion's League group stages twice. Since Ashley has been owner, the club has been relegated twice and played in the Europa League once.

Newcastle's net spend since the summer of 2017 is £1m. Brighton's is £110m and Huddersfield's is £78m.

Ashley has purchased land behind the Gallowgate for a reduced £6m and planning permission for £70m proeprty development that blocks any expansion of St James' Park.

The club's accounts are overdue and it is also under investigation by HMRC for tax fraud.
    Bump.
    Don't want him.
  • That’s it, I’m getting to the end of my tether with all these shanigans going around and upsetting the fans. And I’m goodnight to do something positive to being this all to an abrupt end.
    On Friday I’m going to invest £2 on the European lottery and when I win I’ll either pay off the difference the asking price and the realistic price AND the x-directors loans.
    Or bribe RDto sell immediately to Whoever is on position to take hold of the Reins and keep the change.
    Anybody else going to join in and spread the chances?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Is it happening?

Little Danny Devito meant to be shaking his head and saying 'NO'
  • jams said:

I'm sure I remember someone insinuating that there were allegedly some issues around the legality of certain things when RD purchased the club, relating to the spivs. Does anyone recall this and as far as we know has that been resolved? I just can't think what would mean multiple groups of purchasers need to be so silent on everything

Jams - was this what you were thinking of? https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Khakshouri-v-Jimenez-judgment.pdf
  • edited January 2019
    @Bubble wrote:

If we take LDT at face value I am not sure how a British bid can move into “6th gear” if technically they can be no closer to buying the club than at any other time by being unable to own or have part ownership of another English club, unless it’s pushed him to sell Newcastle at a reduced price urgently to free himself up to buy Charlton and both logically and by his own reputation that doesn’t make sense.

Also not sure what the motivation would be for Ashley to buys us. I’ve never heard him be described as a big football man. All the noise from Newcastle suggests he runs it as a break even/profit making business with the added bonus of premier league advertising for his SportsDirect brand. We don’t offer that. Ok maybe we’re closer to home for him but what other movitation does he have? Some kind of footballing redemption? Doesn’t strike me as that kind of character.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is 6th gear the equivalent of Spinal Tap's eleven?
    and if so, doesn't this suggest that someone is making a mockumentary of this entire take-over process?

• I think we should have a bite sized update.

I don't mind being in charge of it (Taking time out of my day) and proof read it once Cabes has drafs it

Are you sure :):)
    Purely for the timing of the non-events. Spelling and grammar don't interest me
    WHAT!?
  • The only logical reason why Mike Ashley might want to buy Charlton is that he can get it relatively cheaply and with a modest investment, it would be possible to get us back into the premiership and that’s where he’d make his money. By selling to rich Australians / Americans.

But I’m coming down on @Off_it side of the fence. This has taken so long that there is something more to it than meets the eye and it probably relates to Duchatelet not doing a proper due diligence when he first bought us. Skeletons in the closets and all of that ...
  • With the club saying no group has exclusivity on the deal surely it is reasonable to assume Mr Murphy to tell supporters what his plans for the club are. I know the Trust have tried to make contact with him but would presume as nothing as come out this has not worked.

After making such a public appearance at the home leg, then sitting in the Directors Box at the away leg and taking part in a joint statement with the club in the summer, the onus in my opinion is for him to tell us where we are at
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!