Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Anyone know if champagne has a best before date? My bottle has been in the fridge waiting a long time...? Maybe if I take it out it’ll happen...
  • I am sure I read Toffees turned down £30m for Lookman. Gomez must be £60m+, JBG and Pope £15m each plus minor players. 25% of £120m+ almost pays for RD's cock-ups.
  • cafc-west said:

Anyone know if champagne has a best before date? My bottle has been in the fridge waiting a long time...? Maybe if I take it out it’ll happen...

Dirty boy

• If I were the Aussies, I'd agree to 14 chips and tell RD to $%&% off.
  • I guess Keith Harris would have been JW's contact. I'm please to hear what he said but amazed as he must under an NDA himself??
  • I guess Keith Harris would have been JW's contact. I'm please to hear what he said but amazed as he must under an NDA himself??

Mistaken identity perhaps.

Loose lips 'shink shits' as Keith would say

Mistaken identity perhaps.
    No it was definitely @Taxi_Lad i'd say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh dear. Even @Doucher has joined the renegades.
  • Solidgone said:

In a fortnights time after the completion of the takeover and scarfy has been paraded at The Valley with the Aussies. How long do we give it until the moaning starts again?

I'd love to find out.
  • They all have other business interests, so if they have to wait they’re not going to starve.
  • edited February 2019
    Ferryman said:

Solidgone said:

In a fortnights time after the completion of the takeover and scarfy has been paraded at The Valley with the Aussies. How long do we give it until the moaning starts again?

I'd love to find out.
    Now let's see. CATAC (Coalition Against The Aussie Consortium), anyone? Just kidding big time...
  • Uboat said:

Could anyone who hasn't done a Keith Harris joke yet please get it out of the way quickly.

Ha! Posted it before reading the subsequent 4 pages. Should have guessed the other comedy geniuses on here would have already commented.
  • Uboat said:

Could anyone who hasn't done a Keith Harris joke yet please get it out of the way quickly.

Yes back to the more compelling serious stuff.
  • edited February 2019
    Ferryman said:

Uboat said:

I wish I could fly
    You can...
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:

stonemuse said:

DOUCHER said:

Doesn’t take much to re ignite this thread!!!!! If we are still going to make the film of all the characters involved in this thread, please count me out - just reading the last couple of pages chewing over all this bollox has given me a dullness Induced headache. Surely it’s all just a load of Shute made up to sustain rd’s tenure - it got rid of Meire and robbo which was s plus biut I can see no end to rd’s nonsense ownership

So you think Harris is talking shite?

Perhaps he planned to get in a taxi owned by a Charlton fan so he could catch us out yet again?

Good conspiracy but I don’t buy it.
    God knows (and he doesn't exist obviously) but i find it hard to understand that theirs a 'team' of aussies just waiting to turn up in Charlton and run and fund the club when rd finally decides he's ready to sell at whatever deal / price the stalemate can be cleared at - it doesn't make any sense - what are they all doing in the meantime? you would only need a couple of rich aussies pals of rd and a shitty website for the whole facade to work - its as logical as anything else that's been chewed to death over the last 18 months. I reckon my 'nothings happening' statement 18 months ago weren't too far off. Nothing was happening then and very little since even if he intended it to - what a load of utter shite this saga is. I maintain that if anybody really wants to buy the club, make yourselves known publicly and let us, the fans, get behind you and force rd's hand - this current situation is ridiculous.
    Have you been drinking @DOUCHER ??
  • I don't buy this sell on clause stuff tbh, normally a sell on is on profit, not transfer fee.

Cousins zero sell on fee, let alone profit.

Lookman may go soon for about 20 million, so £10 million profit, even at 10% that's only £1 million. Or he might stay at Everton for the duration of his contact and walk.

Pope all the time he is 3rd choice at Burnley maybe 10 at a push, more likely to walk on a bosman at the end of his contract.

JBG see Pope

Gomes will either stay at Liverpool or go to city, barca or Madrid, they won't sell him to United, for 100 plus million, then again could see out his contract and walk on a free. Even if its a 20% sell on RD has lost nearly all that amount since the take over was first rumoured.

If it was all about sell ons RD would have sorted that out ages ago, cash up front discounted as we did with Bent.

• edited February 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't buy this sell on clause stuff tbh, normally a sell on is on profit, not transfer fee.

Lookman may go soon for about 20 million, so £10 million profit, even at 10% that's only £1 million. Or he might stay at Everton for the duration of his contact and walk.

Pope all the time he is 3rd choice at Burnley maybe 10 at a push, more likely to walk on a bosman at the end of his contract.

JBG see Pope

Gomes will either stay at Liverpool or go to city, barca or Madrid, they won't sell him to United, for 100 plus million, then again could see out his contract and walk on a free. Even if its a 20% sell on RD has lost nearly all that amount since the take over was first rumoured.

If it was all about sell ons RD would have sorted that out ages ago, cash up front discounted as we did with Bent.

Maybe without realising you have found the crux of the issue, though. No-one knows nor can accurately forecast the value of the sell ons - could range from zero to tens of millions. It is not predictable for RD nor buyer as all depends on the player, current club and potential future buyer - totally out of CAFC control. Hence the impasse.
  • It may be about sell ons for the current sqaud.
    Roland needs to let it go.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Wow!!!!!!! Never been itk til now !! Just had a 15 min conversation with Keith Harris in my cab.
    As open as he could be. Main points were;

RD very difficult man to deal with. Obstinate and refusing to put any more money in

Price agreed but structure of payment (Gomez / Lookman sell ons etc)

Aussies still include Andrew Muir as main consortium member

Aussies will be good for us if they can get it over the line

No other bidders as far as he’s aware

LdT is a nice guy but is RDs man and is working on his behalf hence the comment re the Aussies having some explaining to do when it’s all over is bollox. All down to RD and his stubbornness

(dont shoot the messenger) he said it’s very close. He even hinted at the dreaded “2 weeks”

Aussies not worried about timing of purchase I.e. they wouldn’t wait til end of season just cos transfer window closed

Everything seems in line with as per @JamesSeed has reported. He now tops my itk list of credibility

I'm now able to confirm that Keith Harris has been a major source on the story then. He was one of the people I was hinting at in terms of having relevant professional experience of takeovers.
    Crikey @Airman Brown you realise this whole reply puts me in mind of someone else :unamused:
  • Pedro45 said:

I know RD doesn't do common sense.

However, if he is willing to lose, let's call it £6M pa, then logic might suggest the sell on deals, plus whatever else he wants, is worth more than £6M to him ?

Maybe that's his view?

For example (all numbers made up), if Gomez was worth £30m last season, prior to the world cup, and presuming we have a 10% sell on fee (over and above the £3.5m that Liverpool paid), then that was worth around £3m to RD. But if he's now worth £50m, that shows a £2m increase in his book value to RD. If his apparent value increases next year by another £20m (and if van Dijk is worth that much, then why not!), then that is £2m each year on his value to RD. (He may or may not ever be sold, and values can of course go down as well as up!)

But if we use the same formula for Lookman, that could be worth £1m-£2m a year, and maybe with Gudmundsson, Pope, etc added in then RD could easily say that his "assets" are increasing in value what he is losing at CAFC (c£6m per season).

How he realises those assets, if ever, is another matter.
    Yes, I was thinking the same.

This could run indefinitely, unless one or both parties budge and come to an agreement.
    So, a case of who blinks first ?

Does anyone know if the Rat has a nervous tic ?
    Apparently he licks his teeth clean when he’s selling something....
    ....oh.... :unamused:
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I don't buy this sell on clause stuff tbh, normally a sell on is on profit, not transfer fee.

JBG see Pope

Maybe without realising you have found the crux of the issue, though. No-one knows nor can accurately forecast the value of the sell ons - could range from zero to tens of millions. It is not predictable for RD nor buyer as all depends on the player, current club and potential future buyer - totally out of CAFC control. Hence the impasse.
    But its more likely to be nearer zero, the only one that could even possibly be more than a few months running cost is gomes, I am sure Liverpool would sell that for 2 or 3 million now, if asked.
  • he is definitely enjoying it 100%

This is the true RD the stubborn mean vindictive spiteful cold heartless bastd that made him a billionaire

NLA, well that's two of us who think he is getting perverse pleasure out of the situation. Other CL members don't. TBF they are intelligent fans(in some cases !) who go home and away. Why didn't he get rid otherwise when his muse left for 25 to 30 million which was apparently on the table with some small negotiations on monies owed to ex directors which must happen at other football club as well when they are being sold.

Duchatelet couldn't have got where he is today (net worth 500 million) if he didn't know when to buy and sell and cut your losses when need be and move on.

I smell a Rat.
    Have either of you two met him? I don't believe he gets real pleasure out of anything. He just doesn't want to be seen to have failed.
  • JamesSeed said:

rananegra said:

I'm not convinced about the spite element, but he is clearly stubborn and in his eyes wants to show that he's not lost out significantly on his disastrous acquisition of Charlton: he certainly doesn't want to admit that doing no effective due diligence was a mistake.

I don't think he is particularly motivated by spiting us - but equally he's not motivated not to.
    And he finds himself in a situation where he wants to not lose face so holds out for an unrealistic price and won't shift because he's stubborn even though it will cost him a lot more in the long run. I think his stubbornness is a defining characteristic and no sale is going to happen under him. His heirs will end up selling a team that yo-yos between Leagues 1 and 2, I've no idea when.

It might even be worth putting some pressure on them to have a word with their old man.

I wouldn't be so sure. In some of his interviews, and in some of his recorded conversations with fans in Belgium he comes across as quite bitter about the way fans have 'treated' him and his protégé.
    Not bitter, just annoyed, as he genuinely can't understand why anyone is protesting.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!